Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Any thoughts on the Sony line, specifically the KDL w900a? I've been haggling with the guy at the Sony outlet and I think I can get for a bit under the sticker price of 2300. I had a verbal offer of 2100 but I had the feeling he would go lower. I read the cnet review and it was positive (except for the price), but they mention the f8000 which I can gets for around the same price (200 more). I don't know if I can buy another Samsung as mine is starting to go after only 4 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

jeaves posted:

If it's in my budget, is there any reason not to buy the Samsung UN60F8000?
I really like the design, and I'm comfortable with the price - I just worry that for the money I'm missing out on something better.

Cnet review
Amazon

I'm in this boat...currently waffling between this and the Sony KDL w900a. The Samsung looks awesome, but the Sony outlet people are willing to go much cheaper and throw in a bunch of perks (free shipping and installation, free warranty, etc.). I've been stuck in analysis paralysis for a week now.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Aphrodite posted:

The W900A apparently has pretty great picture, but it's also $2400 in Canada. And that's with $300 off.

I bought this TV, and it's amazing. It gets high scores for input lag, even with some of the picture quality settings turned on.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I've installed countless mounts and by far this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004L5DMOQ/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

has been the best. It only requires one stud which is a god send for some installations.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Mister Macys posted:

I'd still put money on an old 3.1 system being better than a new sound bar.

Like anything, it depends on what you spend....I've heard some VERY nice sound bars that sound better then most home 5.1 systems I've seen set up.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

I got this and was hopeful because my cable company started to encrypt the local channels like assholes.

No matter what orientation or position I put it in, I can only get 1-3 channels, exactly one when it rains.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

The Joe Man posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009H8JOZS/

28ms input lag which is the lowest of all brands in that size (other than a couple $3k Sonys).

If you have a Sony outlet nearby, the 900A is dropping in price everytime I went in there. It's around $1800 now I believe, but I think that may only be the 55 inch. It pretty much has the best input lag numbers I've seen.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

bull3964 posted:

J&R apparently has it for $1599 and people have said best buy will price match.

http://www.jr.com/sony/pe/SON_KDL55W900A/?JRSource=CJ

I can 100% vouch for this TV. I paid 1800 for it, and would do so again in a heartbeat. It got nearly perfect scores in most reviews with the only knock being it was too expensive, then they dropped the price a huge amount.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

bull3964 posted:

Reviews of the new Sony TVs are starting to come in. I'm glad I went with my gut and jumped on the W900A rather than wait for its replacement.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/kdl55w955b-201403103661.htm

Yeah, after the price drop, the W900 was a no brainer. I wonder if this will cause it to stabalize or perhaps even increase in price a bit. I was hoping some new models would make further price cuts to the W900 possible, but not if the updates are poo poo.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Anti-Hero posted:

I'm looking to replace my aged 2008 Samsung LN46A650, mostly due to it's relative small size and large footprint. My usage will probably be 80% watching movies and 20% playing console games. I own a Xbox 360 and the only games I play on it are console exclusives, right now being GTA5 (and Dark Souls 2 until the PC version drops); any kind of twitch FPS shooter is played on my gaming PC. To whit, I've narrowed down my candidates to the following:

1) Samsung PN60F8500

Pro: According to CNET it's the best image quality available outside of OLEDs and Panasonic plasmas (which aren't available)

Con: Display Lag says it's has pretty poo poo input lag at 62ms, and I believe that's in "Game Mode", too. Otherwise it's 100ms of input lag.

2) Sony KDL-55W900A

Pro: The best IQ for a LED TV and stupid low input lag.

Con: Is not a plasma.

So the question is which one is going to be the best value for me? Is my moderate console gaming habit worth compromising on image quality?

AS someone who looked at plasmas and the Sony KDL-55W900A, the Sony looked MUCH better to me then the plasmas I was comparing it to. The only drawback to the Sony was the price.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Wilford Cutlery posted:

So Rakuten, formerly buy.com, has the Sony w900a for $1,021 today: http://www.rakuten.com/prod/sony-bravia-kdl-55w900a-55-240hz-1080p-3d-internet-led-hdtv/249752861.html

However, shipping to my zip code is $368.

EDIT: Aaaaannnnd the four that were available are gone.

drat, that's pretty much the best deal I've ever seen. I got mine for 1800 and thought it was a goddamn steal.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Syves posted:

Looking at mounting my Sony KDL55W900A on my wall. Anyone have any recommendations for a full motion wall mount?

I used this one and it's the absolute best one I've found. It's currently holding up a 900a so I know it works.

I installed this on my wall INCORRECTLY with only 1.5 of the 3 screws being in the single stub because I am a moron. It held for over a year and when I bought the 900A, it came with free installation, and he took one look at the mount and said nope. He pulled it off the wall and reinstalled it so all three screws where in the stud.

I can't recommend this one enough.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004L5DMOQ/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I have a 900a and wouldn't even know where to start on calibrating it. Is there an easy to follow page or something I could go to and just wing it? I don't mind spending a few bucks if I have to.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I had this panel as one of my choices and have been tracking it on the camel. It's been dropping in price ~$50 almost every week now. It was 1699.99 a week ago. Set an alert if you really want it, I suspect more price drops will happen soon.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Samsung-UN55F8000-55-Inch-1080p-240Hz/product/B00BCGRLUI?active=price_amazon&context=home_alerts

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Aphrodite posted:

It doesn't help that nobody has released a really full on, has to be seen in 3D movie since Avatar.

I saw a trailer for the new Moses movie with Christian Bale before a 3D movie recently and that seems to use 3D heavily. It looks more like flat planes at different levels of depth though, so even that's not quite right.

Pacific Rim is incredible in 3D. It's what I use to show it off.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
OLED TVs look cool, and are on my list, but I'm fearful of 1st gen tech like this. How is the life of the TV estimated at? Any stange issues?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I don't know, the W900 is awesome and I'm sure will last more then three years...

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Could I use this as a second monitor (dumb question probably)?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I would get a new receiver if it’s possible to salvage the speakers. If it an all in one, you lose some functionality because you will need to use an optical out from the TV if possible ( I have a fairly new sony and it has optical out). If the receiver doesn’t have at least optical in, I wouldn’t bother.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Also, once you set up a receiver from a TV with ARC, you will never go back. As someone who has been loving around with cheap jacked audio systems forever, it’s like one of those things that completely change how you use a system.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
My Sony 900A just died (RIP 2013-2020...gently caress 2020) and I want a nice TV, but can't afford it until early next year (March or so, thinking of the LG CX 65 that looks like $1800 right now). What's a passable TV I can get for like <500 that won't make me want to spoon my eyes out with a spork as a placeholder until then?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
So repair of my TV looks to be $200 for a new board install...looks like I'm getting that $250 Hisense from Best Buy until I can grab the LG CX next year.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

wandler20 posted:

How much is the board? Replacing boards are super easy and they're usually cheap.

It looks like $45 - 65, but I read that there might be something causing the board to fail, so it might be a short term fix. I was always afraid of working on TV electronics because someone I know killed themselves doing that. I know that it's not the same, and old TVs had huge gently caress off caps, but it's still always in the back of my mind.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Rhyno posted:

So Bestbuy has this 75" Android TCL for $500 but it says "deal not available yet" on the BF ad page. Does that just mean it's sold out? I tried to snag the 65" version from Target but haven't been able to get one before it sells out.

There are a bunch of deals that are Saturday only

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I remember back in the day to get my Atari to work, I cut the plug off and stripped the wires, and screwed them into the antenna leads. Channel 3 for life.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I got that $250 65in Hisense, and it's surprisingly nice. Like I had really low expectations, but it seems just as good as the top of the line 7-year-old Sony it was replacing.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Yeah, Chinese precursor tech manufacturers are starting to learn they can make and market their own poo poo. It's been happening in the lower level space (think boards and components) for a while now. Only a matter of time.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

A Bag of Milk posted:

Hisense H6510G

Adding a little trip report on this. This TV cost 10% of what the TV it was replacing was ($250 on Saturday, vs $2300 for the 900A in 2013), and with what I'm watching and using it for, it seems better in every way.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

halokiller posted:

It needs to stay alive until I see Dune on Imax.

Well, general theaters will probably all but die, but specialty theaters like IMAX will probably survive.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

A Bag of Milk posted:

Got the hisense h6510g from bestbuy black friday delivered. There should be a way to set up picture settings on a per hdmi port basis, right? So port 1 can be set to game, port 2 to picture and so on? The input lag is a big enough deal that video games need to be played in game mode.

I never found one, just the main ARC one and then the rest. I assumed it's just the price of paying < $300 for a 65 in TV.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I'm on my third receiver (but at least the same speakers). It's like, gently caress HDMI, and then gently caress 4K. I will say ARC has been the best advancement to audio equipment in the last 15 years.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

GFBeach posted:

So I got my TCL 55R635 yesterday and the TV is great but it made me remember an issue I've been having with my Panasonic BTT270 blu-ray player/surround sound system: running audio from my TV to said sound system through either ARC or Optical introduces noticeable latency. This happens with my PC, PS4, and Switch (all connected to the TV via HDMI). Running AUX/analog audio from the TV to the sound system lags less (and I can live with that) but it's still an issue. Things seem synched up fine when I use the TV speakers.

Are there any obvious settings I seem to be missing somewhere? The only real configuration option I'm noticing with real impact on the sound system is Audio Delay, which only makes the problem worse.

I have a different model, but there is an audio offset setting on mine in the audio settings

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I was able to add a backlight to my GBA like 15 years ago with something called an afterburner. Maybe there is an aftermarket kit?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Back in the day everyone used Finding Nemo to show off their new TVs. It was so pervasive, it started to be the gold standard at stores to have it running.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Why does some HDR things look incredible, and some look like absolute poo poo? I’m playing AC:Valhalla on a PS Pro, and it looks like dog poo poo, but if I turn off HDR, it looks awesome. It seems hit or miss with video files as well.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
A lot of cutting cable is *embrace piracy with a high speed internet connection* Not that I’m blaming anyone for that with how fragmented everything is. I know there are a lot of legit paths that end up saving a little, but almost any real cutting cable discussion involves news groups or steaming sites for sports.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Caps suck, but 400/400 for $70 sounds really good to me.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Oh drat, that sounds terrible.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I wonder if this it's going to be like when the PS3 came out and everyone just said buy that as a Blu-Ray player since the price was the same or a bit cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I miss the sound of degaussing those Sonys. I can hear it now.