Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'm also interested in the Smart remote, does it make any sense to save :tenbux: and just get the hub if I plan on only using a smartphone/tablet as the remote? If I couldn't use the smartphone for whatever reason, I figure I could just fall back to the regular device remotes temporarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

I_Like_Me posted:

It doesn't look like it has any Smart TV functionality though. I am considering going with a smart TV. Is there any good models to look for. I wanna keep the price under 1000.

Right in the description:

Features
• Smart TV Apps Platform

In my opinion, there are several better ways to get the same functionality, like with a Chromecast or Roku. The Smart functions shouldn't impact the basic function of the set, but I wouldn't make that a part of your criteria.

That also appears to be marketed towards hospitality (i.e. for use in hotel rooms), so I don't know if that would cause headaches or not with its additional hardware security features.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Cyrezar posted:

What can I do with the orange connector? Why the gently caress didn't they just run a $5 HDMI cable through the wall? Should I just run one myself and stop messing with their wall plates?

I'm just guessing, but the wall plate is probably just covering a standard junction box in the wall. You could just re-run your own ideal connections (HDMI and optical audio maybe?) and replace the cover plate. You could even use the existing wiring for the component video and digital audio to pull the new wires. :v:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

RunawayPantleg posted:

Also, I live in an apartment and I'm honestly pretty worried about ordering a TV online since I've never ordered anything so large or expensive online. Any useful advice in this area?

A local delivery service will coordinate with you for delivery at a time best for you, and should bring it to where you actually want it set up, as well as test it (power it on) before they leave. Read their paperwork if they don't do that, we had a couple delivered at work recently where they had checked off "refused by customer" on the test part before they even showed up. Those TVs were ordered by one of our clients though, not sure if that's something you specify ahead of time or what.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 17, 2014

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Where's the future going for really excellent picture quality/blacker blacks when these last plasmas are gone? OLED? I'm having a lame worry fit that if I don't jump on a F8500 now, I'll be stuck shopping LED sets forever. It's especially dumb because I've got a fully functional 60" Aquos already, though it's about 3 years old at this point.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I really like my SS-B1000s and 3000s, though I've never heard one of those sound bars to compare. The 3000s fill up our apartment nicely, driven by an old Kenwood receiver.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

55" 1080p LG OLED is apparently 1699 new in box at MicroCenter now, with in store coupon, no shipping.

I love the freefall

This is excellent. I'm still happy with my 60" Sharp right now, but an OLED upgrade seems like a shoe-in in another year or so. :getin:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
One more vote for the Harmony smart hub. The single small remote on the coffee table is awesome, plus it's controllable from a smartphone (good for more in depth control not accessible from the little remote) or tablet, and as mentioned, Echo now. I haven't touched the original remotes for everything in like 2 years.

The only issue I have with it is if I accidentally hit the off button on the remote when everything is already off, it'll turn random devices on, which I have to turn off manually before continuing. Really minor thing, caused by my own screw up, but annoying when it happens.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
My TV still works fine.

My TV still works fine.

My TV still works fine.

My TV still works fine.

My TV still works fine.

:gonk:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Esoteric giant, outdated TV question incoming: We ordered a Sharp AQUOS LC-90LE657U, which is a several year old model 90" set (90" but 1080p, egads), and received a Sharp PN-LE901. Same case, almost the same specs (I think the LE901 doesn't do 3D). What is possibly different between these two sets? Just firmware? We haven't cracked open the back yet, but I expect to see the same or very similar boards as the other LC-90LE657U sets we've had.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Astro7x posted:

Anyway, I have no idea how to move the mount at this point without causing some serious damage to the wall. I guess the solution is to just get a bigger TV. Was thinking of going to 55 inch from the 47 I have now

I mean, common sense says the mount is on studs, with maybe 4 screws? You could very easily just move it down and patch the old holes if they're visible behind whatever TV you end up with. Are there wires run in the wall at the current mount?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
*asks $15k*

*posts one blurry photo*

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
As much as I lust over a new OLED set, I'm committed to keeping my ~2011 60" Sharp LC-60LE831U around until it actually needs to be replaced.

That being said, I've noticed a strange artifact recently that has me a little concerned. Occasionally I'll see a small stripe of color that persists for a couple seconds and then disappears. It usually shows up around the top of the screen, as a ~6" long purple strip about 3-4 pixels tall. It isn't always in the same spot, and it has happened on a couple different inputs - I use the TV via the HDMI inputs almost exclusively (Chromecast, Xbox 360, Nintendo Switch, Blu-Ray player). I use the TV almost every day, for at least 30 minutes to an hour. I've seen the artifact for sure on the Chromecast and the Switch, which get used the most recently.

What might this be, and is it a precursor to something failing outright? I figure its either the main board or the panel control board, seeing as how it happens on multiple inputs.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Pretty sure my dad still has the old 32" Wega in the bedroom (top floor of the house). I suspect it is considered structural at this point and will never move.

What a great screen to play N64 on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Number_6 posted:

For those of you who have access to really large displays (I dunno, 77" or more), does 1080P content still look good on it? Is there a screen size above which you really need 4K content for it to look decent? The famous old charts circulating the internet (for viewing distance/screen size/resolution) suggest that, for a 10-foot viewing distance, you don't really get much benefit from 4K until about an 80 inch screen size, and that you wouldn't need 4K until more like 85 or 90." I guess I'm not asking for what screen size makes additional 4K detail start to become observable, but rather what screen size would make 1080P look noticeably substandard (like trying to watch 480P DVD on a 55" modern TV).

At work we have an old 90" Sharp Aquos of the same vintage as my 2011 60" Aquos I have at home, and they're both 1080p. You would have to sit like 20ft+ away to not see the individual pixels on the big one. I personally can watch old DVD rips (and worse) on my 60" and not fret about the quality after a minute or two, but that 90" looks like an old jumbotron at any near distance.