Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

big mean giraffe posted:

Just got a Vizio E550i-B2 today from Amazon, and I've been playing with it for the past few hours. I really love this TV, the picture quality is great, the bezel is tiny and it's surprisingly light at 33 lbs. For $678 this is a pretty awesome set.

I just got an open box 32" model of that same TV for my girlfriend's bedroom and it's fantastic. Seriously, I'm blown away at how good a $200 TV can look now compared to just a few years back. It's insane.

Like most sets it needed to be calibrated, but once you run thru the AVS disc, it's really quite nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

AzCoug posted:

Where do you get this disc? Can it be used for any TV? Easy to use?

AVS forum. If you can read and have some decent eyesight it should be pretty easy. It's not perfect but it's better than nothing.

AzCoug posted:

Looking for a 32" for a bedroom. Is it true that 1080 isn't real important/needed at that size? 720 would do?

Any suggestions for a specific TV? Sounds like some have had good luck with the Vizio. Costco currently has the E320-B0 for $219.99

What's the difference between A1, B0, B1, etc.?

1080 isn't important and more importantly almost no manufacturers spend the money to put 1080 into the budget panels, which is what 32" ones are.

Vizio is hands down the best value at 32". The difference between the Ax and Bx models is that the Ax is last years model. The Bx is what you want. The main differences between the different Bx models are smart TV features and some cosmetic changes. They all share the same panel throughout the Bx line.

I think you'd be happy with the E320-B0 that Costco is selling. I got my girlfriend's open box E320-B2 at sams for 192, and the main difference is smart tv features like netflix/amazon/etc., things that can easily be added and done better with a Roku/AppleTV/Chromecast.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Cold Milk Bottle posted:

What can we do to fix it so that it's more comfortable to watch and looks better?

The head lights above it can and probably will be adjusted, they were there when the house was built. Also the gross yellow is eventually going to be painted a darker color. The shelves were just taken out but the framed area that they/the SDTV was in is not easily removable.

Swivel arm mount on the wall on the right side of the picture might work? Otherwise the easiest thing to do would just be hang a curtain over the built in and just put a TV stand in front of it.

Is there anything stopping you from knocking out the middle wall between the old SD side and the desk side besides difficulty?
That would be what I do, to be honest, even if it took a bit of work/money.

Honestly, I'd just look at framing over the entire thing, but I also have an irrational hatred of built ins.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Cyrezar posted:

What they look like up close:

Borrow/buy a fish tape and feed it from the TV to the unused outlet, or use the existing cabling as a pull rope for whatever kind of new cable you're running.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Cyrezar posted:

What about something like this adapter http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2&pf_rd_i=typ01? Quality issues aside it may be easier to go box->digital coax->wall->digital coax->adapter->TV.

Of course, I just bought a sound bar tonight as well. Sony HT-CT660 which does NOT have a digital coax input, only HDMI, analog and optical. Right now its hooked up as DirecTV box -> sound bar -> TV all via HDMI.

Does your TV have optical out and do audio pass thru? That's going to be the easiest way to wire everything.

HDMI from your sources -> cables thru wall to TV input -> Optical out from TV to soundbar

Otherwise you're looking at running HDMI to the soundbar and using it as a switcher.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I'm looking at replacing my beaten 10 year old 32" TV in the living room. So, I can get a 50" 4K set (P502UI-B1E) from Vizio for $700, where I'll have no way to consume content for it until UHD Blu-Ray comes out, or the 60" 1080p E Series set for $780. I'm completely conflicted.

Most of my viewing is either sports or movies via netflix/amazon/downloads. I'm assuming we're a far ways off from 4K sports broadcasts. My internet is capped at 300GB/month thanks to comcast, so 4K netflix is out of the question until Google Fiber rolls out here in 2 years from now. Am I crazy to skip over the 4k set for a 45% increase in screen size?

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Fremry posted:

Nope. The increase in size is something you will value everyday, while 4k not only doesn't have any content, but the idea of 4k being any better than 1080p is dubious at best. 4k reminds me of the years of fabricated contrast numbers. LCD TV with 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio! (Actual number 400:1)

More pixels does not mean better, especially when you can't distinguish individual pixels on a 1080p TV. Also, the E-Series has a better picture than the P series. You'd be paying more for a smaller TV and a worse picture for more pixels that you can't take advantage of and the most critical of people can't tell the difference between.

People said the same thing about the comparison between 720p and 1080p in the beginning of HD. 4k is absolutely better no question, and the industry is going to eventually shift to that. The big problem I see, especially having worked in the film industry, is that most things now are done on a 2k DI and aren't shot/finished at 4k anyway. The real benefit would be all of the 4k remasters of things shot on film that have been done in the past 10 years or so. 4k + No 3:2 pull down anymore is about as close to a movie theatre in your home that I'll think we'll see.

Basically, what I'm saying is that I can see that 4k is coming, I'm just unsure that it's worth the money to upgrade now vs waiting for 3-4 more years for the content and delivery options to be there. Probably will wind up with that 60" E series since the panel in the P series isn't as good, and will look at another new TV in 3-5 years when content delivery/standards are sorted and the technology is cheaper.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

The selection is slim but all new shows and movies will be filmed in it.

Arri doesn't even make a 4k camera yet. So far your options camera wise are the Sony, Blackmagic, and the Red. Anything else is 2k at best.

Tab8715 posted:

Point taken,

Are showes/movies still shot in film?

Not really. Not unless you have a huge budget or your name is Quentin Tarantino.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Eh, it's not like 1080p to 4k is as much of a subjective difference as the SD to 1080p transition was.

I'd say that at this point in time most people are better off buying a nice HD set rather than a bargain 4k set. Even if 4k is widespread before you're ready to replace your set, it's not like like you're watching poo poo off of a VCR, you're watching some nice HD content!

It's pretty big considering 4k is what most digital projection systems in theaters are at this point. Obviously it makes more of a difference when we get to larger and larger screens, but we're rapidly approaching the point where we can recreate a majority of the theatre experience at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

zer0spunk posted:

The Arri Amira (smaller alexa focused on location work) just got a 4k firmware update.

The Arri Alexa 65 shoots higher then 4k native. (6560 x 3102)

Most shoots done on FHD also have uncompressed SDI-in recorders going as well (they bypass internal compression).

You're right. I haven't had any friends work on anything with the 65 yet, so I forgot that it's out there. The Amira firmware isn't a true 4K though, it's upscaled.

Agree about most everything else you've said though.

bull3964 posted:

Warner should actually have a pretty good catalog when all is said and done because they were big on preserving their films with 4k and 8k scans and striking new 35mm prints from those scans for archival. Of course, this really only matters to stuff pre-2000 or so.

This. This is what I'm most interested in. I want studios to start doing 8k scans and restorations of their 35mm films for 4k releases.