Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

President! posted:

Out of curiosity (I searched the last few pages of the thread and didn't see any mentions), does anyone here own the Panasonic ST60 (any size)? I'm wondering if it's really as great as most of the reviews suggest.

I'm curious about this TV as well. The picture is supposedly excellent, though I can't afford anything larger than the 50" version, which puts me on the fence between this TV and similarly priced 60" TVs.

If you're a gamer you should know there's an input lag issue with the ST60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

adorai posted:

As someone with a 50" Panasonic Viera Plasma...It does suffer from image retention, so after watching a baseball game I can still see the dumb fox sports baseball diamond/scoreboard thing for about an hour afterward, so again, a strike against it for sports.

Is the ST60 part of the Viera series? The image retention is worrying...I don't watch any sports, but most stations have bugs that are in the corner pretty much nonstop.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
I'm thinking about getting an ST60 but I'm curious about the input lag. I don't play games, but is lip sync ever an issue? I have a pioneer receiver with a 5.1 setup that I'll be using with it.

Also, how are the Smart features like the streaming services and DLNA? I have a Roku 3, but it would be nice to minimize how many devices are hooked up.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

JayJay posted:

I'm realizing just how spoiled I have been over the last 5 years with my LN40A650 Touch of Color (sammy), 15-25ms input lag has been pretty awesome, why does every tv these days have major lag? This thing still runs flawlessly, but its time to upgrade to a 50-55 for my new bigger living room. I've been looking to switch to plasma and im also thinking about picking up the Panasonic 55VT60 but I am not sure if it will be a bit too big for my room. Anyone have a decent shot of it in their living room? I wanted to get a 50S60, but I can't find one on the internet or in stores anywhere.

Have you tried Best Buy? I was in there about a week ago looking at that exact TV. Granted, I'm in NJ and not Texas, but it's worth a shot.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

JayJay posted:

The VT60 or the S60? I can find the VT60 about 30 minutes away, or I can order it amazon/bestbuy. But the S60 seems to be out for both ordering and in-store all over Florida. :(

S60

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

I went for the vt60, just hoping the dudes on avs are being really spergy and it's not terrible or anything. I'm going to have it hooked up to a 3.0 sound system, so it's not like I'm using the onboard TV volume anyway and hopefully it'll overtake any fan whine.

Hope I don't regret it!

I have a projector that I use in my basement with a pretty loud fan (I have no doubt it's much louder than the VT60's fan), and I honestly don't even notice it once anything is playing. Of course, the particular pitch of the VT60 might be more annoying, but I doubt it. The AVS guys can be a little over the top.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
You can get a 50" S60 for just a little bit more. Awesome reviews, though apparently it's getting tough to find.

e: it's a little more expensive than I though, at $700. Still not too bad though

catch22 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 31, 2013

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Petey posted:

Is there that much of a difference between the S60 and any of these used models I've linked above? I thought it was the ST60 which was best in class or whatever?

ST60 is better, particularity in a brighter room, but it's also a pretty fair step up in price ($1000 for a 50"). It still has a great picture, plus it's $700 new, with warranty, as opposed to a TV you bought off craigslist for almost that price.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

He said gaming, and even in whatever passes for game mode the ST60 has four to five frames of input lag :stonk:

I suggested the S60, and not the ST60 due to price, but the input lag is another good reason to pass on the ST60

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Petey posted:

Oh, OK. I can always recalibrate anyway.

I've read quite a few sources that say the first 100 hours (and some even say the first 200 hours) are when a plasma is most susceptible to burn-in and image retention. Some sights suggest turning the brightness down (50% or lower) and running colored slides during the time period. Other sites say it's fine to play normal content as long as you avoid static images (eg black bars, station logos) during the first 100 hours.

Is it really true, or just apocryphal? I don't know, but it really doesn't seem like a big deal to avoid static images, at least for extended periods of time, for the first 100 hours.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Insane Totoro posted:

I really want a Panasonic TC-P50S60 for my house.

However I can't seem to find one in stock ANYWHERE.

Where are you people finding these TVs? I'd really appreciate some help on this as my wife is trying to redecorate the entire living room. Thanks!

You can find them in the clearance section on Best Buys website and you could check the Sears Outlet website. You're boned though if you need to warranty it, and the TVs you find will prob be the floor models.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Sointenly posted:

WHY THE gently caress ARE 70" TV's nearly a thousand dollars more than their 60" sister models? Sorry, just had to get that out...

I've been watching prices on 70" LED's for 3-4 months and am a little bummed about the lack of movement. 60" models have dropped through the floor while their big sisters are still selling at a premium it seems. Specifically I've been watching the Sharp LC70le650u. Amazon has had the lowest price for some time now at just under $1800. Unfortunately though, that's just a bit too rich for my blood, my goal is to keep this under $1500.

So here is the question, is there any reason to still think of Visio as a third tier manufacture? For the last 2 TV's I've avoided them without much thought, in my head I still just have the image of a huge Vizio box sitting in the back of a gardeners truck pulling out of a Costco parking lot the morning of an Oscar De La Hoya fight.

The reason I ask this is because of the Vizio 70" Class 1080p 120Hz Razor LED Smart TV E701i-A3 http://www.costco.com/Vizio-70%22-Class-1080p-120Hz-Razor-LED-Smart-TV-E701i-A3.product.100015771.html .. currently going for $1479 at Costco.

Has anyone here had any experience with this model? It seems to hit all of the check boxes as far as numbers go, but I'm just having a hard time shaking the Vizio factor.

For someone who's in the market for the "bang for you buck" 70" LED, is this as good as i'm going to do?

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=a6795313

70le650u for $1599 (add to cart to see final price)

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Sointenly posted:

Good find and thank you.

Although now after reading review i'm not sure the Sharp is the clear winner between the two. I may hitup the local BB and see if they will price match this.

No prob. Just got Best Buy to price match the 60" version on Dell's site.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Sointenly posted:

One negative that did come up quiet a bit was out of the box performance, do you have any comment on that? Did you have to do a ton of tweaking to get it looking decent?

Grab settings off AVS forum (or the cnet forums) and plug them in.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Loucks posted:

Go to monoprice.com and buy a wall mount. I have a 4114 that I like very much.

Do you recall the shipping cost?

I was going to buy the Cheetah mount on Amazon, but apparently the company changed the product and the new version is a piece of poo poo. Seems pretty hosed up they're allowed to keep it under the same listing.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

a cat youtube posted:

Is this necessary? Or is it a real videophile thing? The tv will mostly be used for gaming and streaming services, not regular tv watching at all.

Don't have a plasma but I've read image retention is at it's worse in the first 200 hours, so it's suggested not to have static images on screen during that period (black bars, game HUDs). Normal full screen tv with no station logo would be fine instead of slides, though given that you want to play games right off, maybe running slides to get through that initial break in isn't a bad idea, as nutty as the AVS guys can sometimes be.

e:f,b

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Roku 3 lets you do everything with their smart phone app, no IR required

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Buff Skeleton posted:

That + a good TV + wireless keyboard/mouse and HDMI connection from my PC seems like a decent way to go. Audio out might be kind of a hassle to set up but I'll see what I can do!

I use the HippoRemote app for iPhone for my PC and it works very well. It makes my phone function as a trackpad and a keyboard. Certainly cheaper and less cluttered than buying a wireless keyboard and mouse/trackpad.

Only annoying thing is if my PC is logged out I need an actual keyboard/mouse to log in to Windows. If setting your PC to never log out is an option for you, then that isn't an issue obviously.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

zakharov posted:

We just bought this Samsung tv, based off recommendations.

[url]http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN32EH5300-32-Inch-1080p-Smart/dp/B0074FGNJ6/ref=cm_rdp_

Heeeeeelp.

Just a shot in the dark, but have you tried turning off Digital Noise Reduction (DNR) in your tv's settings? Wouldn't hurt to try

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Anti-Hero posted:

What manufacturer of plasmas should I be considering now that Panasonic is no longer in the game?

Samsung

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Have a 650 and a Smart and I like the Smart better. Just wish it had a backlight, which seems like a big oversight on a $130 remote

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
You can't output 1080 with your computer?

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Just bought an x900e, and I need a 30’ HDMI cable. Is this too long for a 4K cable (that supports HDR10, if that’s a thing)? An electrician friend said I would need a balun, is that true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9172

Try that, see if it works. SPRING25 to get $5 off.

Also maybe this if you want snazzy braiding: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13757

Thanks, I’ll give that first one a shot