Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
It's annual bonus and tax time and I'm itching to replace my ten year old DLP that has a blown (sole) hdmi port and is generally just getting time to be replaced. I'm just starting my research and wanted to find out if there are any tvs that have plex built into them and if it is any good. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Is there a website that lists out all of the models by manufacturer and by year? When I come across a deal I'd like to see where it sits in regard to the product line as well as when it was released. You see these deals and oftentimes it's a three year old set. I'm in the market for a 60"+ for my basement and want to be able to properly do research.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Bape Culture posted:

Can anyone tell me if this '100 hours of slides' poo poo for plasmas is nonsense? I've plugged my st60 in and used D-Nice's settings which look great but loads of people are recommending 100 hours of slides before changing stuff?

I'm doing it because it's easy to do and if there's any credence to it I'd rather be on the right side of it. I didn't with my LG 60PA6500 I bought last year and it's fine but I did make sure not to watch anything not full screen. I just picked up the LG 60PN6500 for my basement and don't have as much control over what's played so I'm doing it. I am very very happy with this set. Also picked up a Denon receiver and it completely unlocked my Bose 701s and VCS 10. I thought they were lack luster before. Running wires for my rears tomorrow! I loving stripped a screw in one of the mounts so I have to be patient.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Remote chat: Has anyone used the Harmony Smart Control? (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-smart-control)

I used to use a 650 but it was very unstable and eventually just died with no way to resurrect. I went through two of them before just giving up. Has the quality of the remotes improved over the years? I am really looking for something good to consolidate my TV, Receiver, Cable Box, and maybe Xbox/HTPC remotes. I don't want to use my smartphone full time but the option is nice. I would prefer not to spend an arm and a leg either and this one dips under $100 from time to time on sale.

Thanks in advance!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I'm using one right now, I love it.

You can assign a custom short press and long press function to nearly every button on the simple remote and those can be commands or macros.

So, you can get away with using the simple remote for the vast majority of the things you do with it and then break out the mobile app for any edge cases.

Great, appreciate the vote of confidence. I assume that means you haven't experience any instability issues? I saw a refurbished for $80. Should I consider that or is Logitech refurbs dodgy?

sellouts posted:

I finally got mine working with Plex. It's pretty sweet but the configuration software runs on Silverlight and sucks.

Curious, how does the remote interface with Plex? I have a Chromecast and the new Roku stick is also on order but wouldn't have anticipated this remote having anything to do with Plex.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

sellouts posted:

It uses the receiver built into the Mac mini that powers my plex server and runs plex home theatre on my main television. No pairing or anything.

I will say I've encountered some missed commands in various activities I've built, especially if I haven't used the remote in a while or everything is off but that's likely my fault or my old tv not accepting commands without me programming a delay. It feels like magic having the puck in my tv stand yet it working with all devices and the remote it comes with is slick and compact.

Ah, I understand. You have it controlling your Mac Mini which is running Plex. Just wanted to make sure I didn't overlook a tightly integrated Plex solution as I am in the process of retiring my HTPCs. I'm up to two Chromecasts and that new Roku stick is on its way. Having Plex running on my iMac (shares mounted from my NAS) has proven to be a very very successful way to play local media with minimal fuss.

I ordered the Logitech for $110 on Amazon, can't wait. Think it'll be a great solution but am concerned over where to put the blaster given that none of my stuff is in the media cabinet. Here is a shot of my set up, yes I have some cleaning up to do. If I have a plug in my drop ceiling (improbable, but possible) I'm thinking of setting it up up there and having clear view of everything, otherwise I can't think of a good out of the way place that my small children won't gently caress with it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

The hub itself is a blaster and it also comes with a (wired) mini blaster.

It has a port for a second too, but only comes with 1 it looks like.

I suppose I will have to play with it a bit to see where I can discretely hide the blasters (I have two extras from another logitech hub that I have in another room that are being unused) and still hit the TV and receiver. Thanks for the info!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I_Like_Me posted:

Ugh I looked it over twice, I'm blind. I do have chromecast so I am not 100% sure on going with the smart apps. Anything you would recommend that doesn't have smart tv functions?

I love my new LG Plasma, model 60PN6500 as well as the previous years model I have in my family room 60PA6500. Beautiful picture and very affordable. I never noticed any issues with latency when gaming, but am not a hardcore gamer who closely monitors that. I'd post my K/D but haven't played shooters in a solid year or so.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Hey goons, I'm looking to replace my main family room TV (2012ish 60" LG Plasma) that doesn't get direct sunlight but does get light into the room. Based on its size I want to go bigger and think I can go at least as much as 80".

I've had a really good year and willing to spend more than I normally would, but not terribly interested in diving deep into research at this time. If I'm looking to buy the Cadillac right now, what should I be getting given the limited context I've given so far? My friend tells me the 77" LG OLED is the slam dunk, but was quiet on a specific model and know that can be a big difference.

I'll be building a new home theater around it, so no need to mention that stuff. Usage is primarily an AppleTV, a Switch, and occasionally casting my Oculus via a chrome cast.

I'm sure you need a budget, but let's start with $4k at the highest end? The way too expensive next gen that has no content for it yet is not something I'm interested in.

Appreciate any input that will shorten my search and to keep my eyes open for around Black Friday. Model numbers are helpful when relevant! Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thanks for the quick reply! I actually need to do some introspection to find out which of those things I care about. But you've given me very direct feedback once I sort it out. I'd hope burn in isn't a problem as we won't be leaving it on unless watching it. Although my basement plasma got DENON burned in when a kid left it on so 🤷‍♂️.

I've been out of the game so long I don't even know much about HDR other than that my tvs don't have it.

Are there any variations of the model numbers you provided or if I stick to those I should be safely getting the correct set?

Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Ah excellent practical information. Any LED models to recommend that I can peruse? Coming from a likely dim plasma from ten years ago everything is likely to wow me. That being said, at least half of my watching is in the daytime on weekends so if more brightness makes that poo poo pop more in those conditions than that's compelling. The rest is prestige tv watching with my wife at night.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Micro Center has refurbished 77” LG CX OLED for $1999 if you have a store in your area

https://www.microcenter.com/product/631564/lg-oled77cxaua-77-class-(767-diag)-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-oled-tv-w-thinq-ai-and-freesync-refurbished

Sold out in my store, thank you for posting!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Ultimate Mango posted:

I replaced my 2010 60” Panasonic Plasma with a 77” C1 a few weeks ago. Holy crap it feels like the future. Just get it. It’s well under $4k.

I have the 2021 Apple TV 4K and gig internet (in theory) and 4K content streams pretty much instantly and looks incredible. All those Netflix nature shows made to showcase 4K are nothing short of amazing.

Thanks for that feedback! Going to the store this weekend to get my eyes on the sets to get a feel. Basically debating between the qn90a or the c1. Need to measure to see if the 85" will fit, that may push the decision one way or the other.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Went to BB today to take a look at the sets. They all look amazing and I am having a hard time telling the difference between the Samsung QN90a and the LG C1, especially taking into consideration subpar setup and lighting in store. They had a 55ish QN90A in the darker theater area and it looked outstanding, not sure if that scales up to into the 70s or 80s.

If I had a gun put to my head right now I’d go with the 75” QN90A. Need to measure to see if the 85ish is overkill or not.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Buying from Costco is a major tipping point for me to go the LG.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Basically sold on the 85” Samsung QN90a due to the brightness and size. Best price that I’m seeing is $4k at Best Buy and Amazon. Any other retailers that I should consider looking at or holding off for a better deal?

I liked the deal at Costco for the C1 that included the extra warranty and because I love Costco (PBUC), but that’s not enough for me to tip the balance. Didn’t see the 85” on Costcos website, unless they stock them in warehouse but not list on their website.

Thanks for all the input goons, getting excited. Now I get to look at audio options… but one thing at a time.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

RoboBoogie posted:

Does the Costco warranty cover the burn in issue?

I read in the slickdeals thread that the Allstate does, but that's here-say.

https://slickdeals.net/f/15368119-l...e=4#commentsBox

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Basically sold on the 85” Samsung QN90a due to the brightness and size. Best price that I’m seeing is $4k at Best Buy and Amazon. Any other retailers that I should consider looking at or holding off for a better deal?

I liked the deal at Costco for the C1 that included the extra warranty and because I love Costco (PBUC), but that’s not enough for me to tip the balance. Didn’t see the 85” on Costcos website, unless they stock them in warehouse but not list on their website.

Thanks for all the input goons, getting excited. Now I get to look at audio options… but one thing at a time.

Either I wasn't paying enough attention or the price was wrong at the store. But seeing $3300 for the 85" instead of $4k at BB. Can be delivered this Friday, I'm hitting this up later today. Thanks to everyone for all your input!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Can anyone recommend a wall mount that can support the 85" QN90a that is as flush as possible but can still pull away to access ports on occasion? Would not be needing to articulate for regular use, but would be nice to access.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

Oof. That's a hard one. Maybe one of the pull-down mounts?

Getting it flush as gently caress usually cancels put with adjustable because all the mechanicals need to go somewhere...

I may just settle for flush AF and run all the wires up front. I can count on one hand the number of times I needed access in ten years with my existing sets.

This set looks ideal for flush with all the recessed ports and cord channels

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Speaking of sound, with modern TVs is it preferable to run all inputs into the TV and then the TV output to any soundbar/receiver? For ages I've been running everything into the receiver and letting that perform all the switching and then one output into the TV. Has the model flipped with recent technology?

Need to still find a place to give it a listen, but the Sonos Arc is top of my list for my audio solution to my QN90A that's arriving today and need to start sorting out the logistics here.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

codo27 posted:

It depends on what you have for sound though, and if you have invested anything substantial into your screen you owe it to yourself to do it for the audio as well. In which case you oughta have a receiver that can take everything and just send the video to the TV.

Thanks, and that makes sense. For my room, we don't need a full home theater experience that's tightly optimized. It's a family room that'll be primarily watching sports and often shows at night. Want a real full sound and clear vocals though. My many year old Sony soundbar is muddy on the vocals and pissing me off to no end.

Is the Sonos Arc with surround an outright pass from the goon hive mind with that taken into account? 95% of the usage is through an AppleTV. Not sure if it's the kind of set up that will hamstring me in 5 years either.

When I do my basement theater, it'll be the place where we watched Dune 24/7 with the best audio/video experience.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 10, 2021

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

mattfl posted:

Phew, got the last Denon at my local Costco!

Is there something special with this Denon that I should be aware of? I'm nearly ready to plunk down on the Sonos Arc surround due to its simplicity and diving into the Sonos eco-system. I'm not above wiring my room for a more conventional set up but have had mixed experiences with Denon integrating with more modern tech (fights my appleTV for control when powering on until I can get the ATV to make enough noise to stop switching to 'TV' input) and such.

Have they fixed these issues and this is the slam dunk no brainer now?

Was planning to grab the Arc today at Costco (if they had it), perhaps will grab the Denon to make sure it doesn't go out of stock since I can always return it. Then will need to find good speakers to pair with it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Presto posted:

Here's a dumb question. Best Buy's free delivery option for TVs says they'll "put it in the room of your choice". So, uh, does that mean they will take it out of the box and put it on the stand? Or do they just drop the box and leave, and I have to pick the $150 option if I want it unboxed?

Got mine this week. The guys walked in, set it down in the box, and left.

Can't complain, no vehicle big enough to haul this thing!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Does it make sense that I should upgrade my 4K AppleTV to the newer one because of the higher frame rate HDR for my QN90a? Also, I'm seeing some judder on 1080p content from my Plex that I am unsure if an upgrade would justify. I just don't know enough about this stuff to tell what's meaningful or not. Thanks in advance!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

FCKGW posted:

I would upgrade just to get rid of that terrible remote.

I already picked up the new remotes when they were released.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

Try killing the plex app and starting it back up.

I noticed some judder recently and the app was the problem. And no, you’re not going to benefit from that since your source material is 24fps.

Thanks, will give that a go. Is there any content that will benefit from the 60fps 4k? YouTubeTV, Netflix, HBO Max, etc? Or is this a fringe benefit from the new ATV?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Without paying some guy to come out and perform a perfect service, what's the best approach to doing TV calibration on my new set (QN90A 85")? I know that there are certain settings that I should be flipping around to get the best (reasonably speaking) picture than the system defaults. Also anything that helps reduce the judder in my 1080p content. Sometimes it's smooth but other times it's really obvious frames are being skipped.

What suggestions should I look into? Thanks in advance!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Happy New Year goons! I'll be mounting my 85" QN90A shortly after the new year and want to get all the wires in place up front. I've been out of the game for a decade, what's the correct HDMI cables to get with the future in mind? Would the one linked below be the right to grab?

https://www.amazon.com/48Gbps-Snowk...aps%2C72&sr=8-3

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

codo27 posted:

At that price I have to wonder if they're legit. Current spec is murky at best, it is in fact 2.1 48gbps you want but you have to be careful what you're buying, especially on counterfeitzon

Got it, makes sense! As my set only has 1 2.1 port, should I be worried about the other 3 cables and just grab whatever for those?

Enos Cabell posted:

I bought these for my CX, and they have worked great for high refresh 4k.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S196T4Z?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-ypp-rep_ypp_rep_k0_1_6

Appreciate the recommendation, will go with these to avoid the above problem mentioned.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thanks everyone, really appreciate it. Want to get everything squared away properly before hanging it up on my wall and not touching it for a long while.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Tatsuta Age posted:

am I missing something or can I not do picture in picture with two HDMI inputs on my c1

I'm interested in hearing this too as I was disappointed to find that my QN90a could not do dual HDMI split screen (let alone 4 including apps, it's loving big enough) and the only options for the other side are Samsung's BS TV service and Youtube. Not sure why I can't use any other app on the other side, that'd service it well enough.

Finishing up my basement now and considering going the LG route depending on things like this.

e: Oh, and SO much wasted screen space on the multiview, huge missed opportunities to get closer to recreating the Back to the Future 2 experience.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I think most (if not all) TVs are unable to do dual HDMI for picture in picture. There's likely a technical limitation in how complicated it would be to wire up both inputs at once vs one being from an internal tuner or app.

That probably makes sense. Can the LG do built-in apps on the other view? Having Comcast or an Xbox on one side and the ESPN, Netflix, or Comcast app on the other would also suffice.

How much wasted space is on the LG multiview?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Cheers goons, saw that Costco has a tech sale on. Any reason not to buy the 77" C1 linked below (presuming it's the same everyone references all the time) if it's within my budget and size needs? Already have an 85" QN90a upstairs but think this would be better for my basement without any natural light.

https://www.costco.com/lg-77%22-cla....100761685.html

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

The C1 is a great TV for most use cases.

Right on, I didn't think it'd be a bad pick. Any reason to pay up for the C2? Any big QOL from the software over the C1? Like being able to have multiple HDMI inputs for PIP or other things that overcome / prevent frustration using the set?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Picked up the c1 77" from Costco today. Looks great, although a bit dim, even on HDR. Presume it's the settings. Is there a tried and true settings profile that I can copy that many like? It doesn't need to be dialed in perfectly so a generic upgrade would be beneficial! Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

kliras posted:

this one's pretty decent; i'm more or less using it myself:

more info at https://old.reddit.com/r/LGOLED/comments/tp6xh2/lg_20172022_oleds_calibrated_settings_for_xbox/

Thank very much! Perfect!

For the SDR settings, so I just skip those if my Xbox and appletv are connected with 4k hdr or will it switch over to SDR when playing that content so I will have to find something SDR to access those settings?

Kind of a weird question but it appears that webOS is detecting the connection and presenting the appropriate settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

Yeah my sound bar randomly doesn't work and the tv defaults back to the internal speakers randomly. Drives me insane but I'm a dummy who probably doesn't notice for days at a time to so :v:

I have a bunch of issues with my Sonos soundbar through eARC to my QN90a on both the internal apps and AppleTV. Some content (presumably Atmos, haven't fully troubleshot it all yet) just won't play sound despite the sound working through the menu options. Sometimes if I do the hard reboot on the Samsung (hold power for 5ish seconds) it'll work and sometimes if I just flat out turn off Atmos in the AppleTV it works, others it doesn't.

Picked up a C1 a few weeks ago and bought a second Sonos set up, no issues down there. By the way, The Batman looks and sounds incredible on the C1.

e: All 2.1 HDMI cables

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 24, 2022