Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Silver Falcon posted:

Stardew Valley Expanded will do this for you. It adds a ton of extra quests and objectives after you finish the Community Center. I recommend having a mod that lets you slow or stop time if you play it, though. A lot of the maps that SVE adds are just WAY too drat big to traverse in any reasonable length of time. Seriously it's silly.

Like what? The forest in the southwest?

If something is too far for you to run, don't stress it in early game. It's fine. Having limits helps prevent the game from being 100%'d so early.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Holy poo poo truffle oil is crazy, really making some goddamn bank now. I want to have a second barn with only pigs by next season :getin:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

explosivo posted:

Holy poo poo truffle oil is crazy, really making some goddamn bank now. I want to have a second barn with only pigs by next season :getin:

My pigs find a stupid amount of truffles daily. I really need to get my crafting machines made and stuff them in a barn.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Thinking about difficulty mods it might be neat if there was a saturation mechanic. Like after you pass a sales threshold you can't sell more of that thing for a while or the selling price goes down. If you just lower the profit that encourages you to make an even larger starfruit winery. Wouldn't it be better if you were encouraged to do something new?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Thinking about difficulty mods it might be neat if there was a saturation mechanic. Like after you pass a sales threshold you can't sell more of that thing for a while or the selling price goes down. If you just lower the profit that encourages you to make an even larger starfruit winery. Wouldn't it be better if you were encouraged to do something new?

this is maybe what im after? the reason scaling down sale prices doesn't work for me is it just.. like, increases the surface area of .. the solved problem, kinda?

and I don't even need it to be an unsolved problem. Maybe just more interaction for longer, I guess?

give me more stardew creative ape. that's what im saying.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/21414

i believe this mod basically does that

haven't used it though, no idea if it works well

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Pam is a kind and generous friend

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

We did it. :unsmith:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I finally managed to get the bus repaired so the day after I hurried out to the bus stop and... there was a sign from Pam that she wasn't driving that day. Thankfully my farmer apparently has a driver's license for buses. Also spent a saturday morning riding through the town trying to figure out the nagging feeling that I had forgotten to do something on friday... until I passed by the sewer entrance.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Emily. Bestie.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Silver Falcon posted:

Stardew Valley Expanded will do this for you. It adds a ton of extra quests and objectives after you finish the Community Center. I recommend having a mod that lets you slow or stop time if you play it, though. A lot of the maps that SVE adds are just WAY too drat big to traverse in any reasonable length of time. Seriously it's silly.

I installed this once, and it seemed ok at first, but early on to get an idea of how big it was I choose a direction and just kept going that way to see how far I could get. After walking the whole day I found some abandoned half destroyed cabin and a newspaper suggesting some kind of devious coverup by the mayor and then passed out because it was 2am and there was no way I could ever hope to get home. Decided that was enough SVE for me.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

counterfeitsaint posted:

I installed this once, and it seemed ok at first, but early on to get an idea of how big it was I choose a direction and just kept going that way to see how far I could get. After walking the whole day I found some abandoned half destroyed cabin and a newspaper suggesting some kind of devious coverup by the mayor and then passed out because it was 2am and there was no way I could ever hope to get home. Decided that was enough SVE for me.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be lategame stuff you go through when you have horses and totems and poo poo.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

There was also changes like the mine entrance being further away than normal. It kind of adds up!

And really can't overstate how much the whole thing felt like a fanfic that doesn't get the tone of stardew. Like sure there are some strange fish in the original too but puppyfish and butterfish stretch that a bit too far. And the writing in general has no subtly, self insert anime farmer aside there's also an event that spells out the wizards secret daughter thing, the game otherwise just kind of hinting at things like that if you dig around makes up part of it's charm to me.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

honestly feel validated it takes massive fanfic mods like sve to justify the wizard daughter fanon though

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
On the one hand, yeah, it lacks subtlety. On the other hand, the fandom apparently can't be trusted with subtlety without spinning out conspiracy boards of theories, so I guess I see how they thought it was needed. :v:

Baby's first exhaustive explanation of nonbinary people delivered to actual children is what frustrated me. I'm not a child who needs this explained to me, guys, I get it!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Sometimes I consider installing SVE for my next playthrough and then I see stuff like that and go.

Nah.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Guess I just have more tolerance for the extra content SVE adds, since most of it doesn't really bother me.

Also having the post-Community Center warp points sure helps with getting around in SVE.

Not sure who you're talking about with that non-binary comment, though.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cyflan posted:

Guess I just have more tolerance for the extra content SVE adds, since most of it doesn't really bother me.

Also having the post-Community Center warp points sure helps with getting around in SVE.

Not sure who you're talking about with that non-binary comment, though.

It's a child that shows up to be the wizard's apprentice in like... year three? They sit down the other two kids to tell them what non-binary is basically. I think their parents are dead, couldn't really tell you anything else about them.

I think in a game for actual children, the scene would be fine. But I am not a child playing the game so it feels a little patronizing. Have the kids correctly non-gender the new kid, it's cool, I know what's happening here. Give me some other character thing.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 23, 2024

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Midnight Voyager posted:

It's a child that shows up to be the wizard's apprentice in like... year three? They sit down the other two kids to tell them what non-binary is basically. I think their parents are dead, couldn't really tell you anything else about them.

I think in a game for actual children, the scene would be fine. But I am not a child playing the game so it feels a little patronizing. Have the kids correctly non-gender the new kid, it's cool, I know what's happening here. Give me some other character thing.

Oh, I don't think I've ever played a game till Year 3.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Jas says something like "come on you boys" to Vincent and the non-binary apprentice, they get pissed, then it goes into a 101 on gender yep.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cyflan posted:

Oh, I don't think I've ever played a game till Year 3.

I can't say I'd recommend it to meet that kid. It's representation that feels like a pamphlet.

I find the characters ignorable now that I've seen their content and can peacefully just skip straight through it as I like. I don't think "I find the stuff I don't like skippable" is a positive point exactly, but I do actually like the other stuff enough to play it anyway.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Zesty posted:

Like what? The forest in the southwest?

If something is too far for you to run, don't stress it in early game. It's fine. Having limits helps prevent the game from being 100%'d so early.

Starting with that, yep! And it gets worse from there. Then you gotta get through the whole dang maze from there to get to the Junimo Village. And there's no warp back. Try getting there and back in an entire day without passing out. It's nonsense!

They also arbitrarily made the Secret Woods 3x as big with a maze you have to get through to Mr. Canoli for some reason? And they rearranged the desert too with the main difference being it's 3x bigger of mostly empty space and it takes ages to find the standing stones and the dragon skeleton.

The maps are just too big! I usually only start engaging with SVE content after I've finished the Community Center anyway, so it's not like I'm trying to rush all this stuff in the early game!

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Mr. Prokosch posted:

i've always planted at least one sprinkler full of every crop because it feels odd to just have a monoculture farm of just the most profitable thing, this helps make sure i have everything available from farming that cooking needs to 100% it too

on the topic of sve i never particularly felt like it was for me since i think the base game has the right amount of content for it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

While I completely get the point of mods like that it always bothers me so immersion-wise that a single farmer is somehow able to grow enough crops, by hand, to saturate the market enough to tank or even affect the price. :v:

Poil fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Apr 23, 2024

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Everyone fills up on Friday night at the saloon, and then the rest of the week they graze in the meadows (Leah)/snack in the quarry (Abigail)/consume Joja™ Frozen Delight Meals®/subsist on magical energy or books or cave bats (Wizard/Gunther/Marlon & Gil)

Gus tries his hardest but can only handle so much fresh produce

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Midnight Voyager posted:

I can't say I'd recommend it to meet that kid. It's representation that feels like a pamphlet.

I find the characters ignorable now that I've seen their content and can peacefully just skip straight through it as I like. I don't think "I find the stuff I don't like skippable" is a positive point exactly, but I do actually like the other stuff enough to play it anyway.

Yeah, thankfully you can just skip cutscenes if you've seen them before or aren't interested.
And Expanded's map changes and other added content is definitely worth it to me.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Lord Awkward posted:

Everyone fills up on Friday night at the saloon, and then the rest of the week they graze in the meadows (Leah)/snack in the quarry (Abigail)/consume Joja™ Frozen Delight Meals®/subsist on magical energy or books or cave bats (Wizard/Gunther/Marlon & Gil)

Gus tries his hardest but can only handle so much fresh produce
Presumably they export to other places. Even with Pam they couldn't handle the weekly wine production without everyone dying of liver failure.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Lewis is selling it illegally overseas to the Gotoro Empire, which is why he only picks up produce from your farm in the dead of night, and why he can afford golden statues of himself

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Lord Awkward posted:

Lewis is selling it illegally overseas to the Gotoro Empire, which is why he only picks up produce from your farm in the dead of night, and why he can afford golden statues of himself

Yep

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Cyflan posted:

Yeah, thankfully you can just skip cutscenes if you've seen them before or aren't interested.
And Expanded's map changes and other added content is definitely worth it to me.

Oh yeah, agreed. I love the new quests and the extra warp points, etc. I just have the freeze time and skip cutscenes buttons at the ready.

Also regarding said nonbinary character: it's a bit annoying that they only show up starting in Y3, for purposes of getting Perfection.

Ask me how I know this! (I got Perfection on SVE once. Never again!)

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Lord Awkward posted:

In the stardew universe a gold bar is worth as much as a melon tho.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Avalerion posted:

In the stardew universe a gold bar is worth as much as a melon tho.

The economy has to be somewhat abstracted or else all the shopkeepers would have made enough money off the player to retire by year 2 easily.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Bars are worth far more than Pierre is paying, the Farmer is unfortunately not aware of how badly ripped off he is getting constantly.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

SettingSun posted:

We did it. :unsmith:

I'm currently on the way to the achievement, the only thing missing is the golden clock, and the last 5-6 million are a dragging on quite a bit.

I don't want to just load in a save where I already have the clock on the farm to unlock it, I really don't.

Must. Stay. Strong.

Must. Keep. Filling. Kegs.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I need to ramp up the keg production myself. I've been lazy about it. I keep running out of wood. It's silly!

But I've covered all the quests except for Totally-Not-Lance-From-Pokemon Lance's monster crop quest, so I can afford to go on a resource gathering spree.

What's the best way to get unholy amounts of iron? Floors 40 to 70ish of the mines or the Skull Cavern? The mines might be better as I could also get coal from the Dust Sprites...

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Saving up for expensive poo poo makes me not get why people want to play with reduced income or similar mods that make money harder.

Similarly, even if your money making ability is enhanced in the early game by co-op, it feels like you incur a bunch more costs trying to do multiple backpack upgrades, tool upgrades, book faire books, etc.

I suppose it's something where money for all the reasonable priced stuff becomes trivial quickly, but then all the super expensive convenience stuff feels like you can't afford it until you barely need it anymore.

Silver Falcon posted:

I need to ramp up the keg production myself. I've been lazy about it. I keep running out of wood. It's silly!

But I've covered all the quests except for Totally-Not-Lance-From-Pokemon Lance's monster crop quest, so I can afford to go on a resource gathering spree.

What's the best way to get unholy amounts of iron? Floors 40 to 70ish of the mines or the Skull Cavern? The mines might be better as I could also get coal from the Dust Sprites...

Yeah, I liked running that section of the mines for iron since it was easier and there's the dust sprites for coal.

My buddy mostly solved our wood issues by planting entirely too many trees in the hot springs area - it was actually a bit of a problem getting them all under control.

I'm currently dealing with getting enough clay and fiber for making retaining soil so I can fill up my island with ancient fruit, while also filling the beach with whatever fruit saplings I happen across, and the area west of the island farm with beehives around fairy flowers. The Factory Farm Must Grow!

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 23, 2024

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Dragon's tooth also has a chance to spawn from Stingray fishpond's. I always a few just for that purpose. The Golden Animal Cracker helps even more which is great.

I'm making my way through the town marrying everyone and divorcing them once I can buy the portrait from the traveling merchant and see the 14 heart event. Quick thoughts!!!!
Emily: Annoying. I do not like her. Hippie energy chick who never progresses story wise. She gets a parrot and if you like drugs...she's great. I'm sure but hard pass. Terrible gifts as well
Leah: 1st time marrying her I did not care for her dialogue post marriage which was a bummer but on this playthrough??? I was digging her a lot more. Would marry again :shepspends:
14 heart event Okay, I love the hideous picture you paint and would marry her every playthrough just for that picture
Abigail: Meh? She's fine. Eats rocks...which is hilarious. One of the "better" looking people at the beach? Which feels horrible typing but it is, what it is I guess. :banjo:
Her 14 heart cut scene........man WTF, I have murdered SOOOOO many things but I get knocked out? C'mon. C'mooooooon. Man up Abigail!!!!! It's the first of MANY murders to come. BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!!
Harvey: Surprisingly great husband yo. Thoughtful, not sure what I expected. Felt bad when if I first talked to him after our divorce :confuoot:
Haley: She also surprised the hell out of me. She has actual growth, has a passion she is pursuing, is seen as "nicer" by others around town as she stop's being such a primadonna. Would marry again, no hesitation :kimchi:
I like the 14 heart event. Well done.

Next up this week is Elliot. I really do NOT want to marry Sebastin or Sam but gotta have pictures of everyone in town. Like a creeper.

I did not think through so much of the town hating me during events and poo poo though. Might have to mindwipe sooner rather than later.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Silver Falcon posted:

Buy it.

Otherwise, wait for a high luck day, scarf whatever luck increaser you have, and run mines level 60->61->0->60 over and over is the most ingame time efficient way of hunting iron.

At the end of the first winter it's the Right Thing to calculate exactly how many seeds you need for Spring 1 planting, buy them, then spend every last remaining G on wood, ahead of the crazy 5x price increase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm currently on the way to the achievement, the only thing missing is the golden clock, and the last 5-6 million are a dragging on quite a bit.

I don't want to just load in a save where I already have the clock on the farm to unlock it, I really don't.

Must. Stay. Strong.

Must. Keep. Filling. Kegs.

My partner and I took a multipronged approach. Kegs are slow but lucrative so we had a ton, but we eventually had a mystic syrup farm going which we converted into fairy dust via raccoon to speed them up significantly. Outside of that, we made most of our money between dozens of animal artisanal goods, and starfruit farming on the island. We also spent a lot of time in the skull cavern with the parrot trinket. It had a high chance of giving a lot of money on every kill so we would come out of there stupid rich. And we eventually sold all the iridium bars we made from down there for over a million for the final push.