Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Buy it.

Otherwise, wait for a high luck day, scarf whatever luck increaser you have, and run mines level 60->61->0->60 over and over is the most ingame time efficient way of hunting iron.

At the end of the first winter it's the Right Thing to calculate exactly how many seeds you need for Spring 1 planting, buy them, then spend every last remaining G on wood, ahead of the crazy 5x price increase.

How do you buy the seeds ahead of time? I thought they didn't swap over till the season changes? (Unless you have the stock list, which is probably quite hard to get by that point in the game) I imagine you can do the calculation and use the difference on wood, but i"m not crazy about that for the number of times I've miscalculated something or needed to make an emergency late day purchase on planting day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Buy it.

Otherwise, wait for a high luck day, scarf whatever luck increaser you have, and run mines level 60->61->0->60 over and over is the most ingame time efficient way of hunting iron.

At the end of the first winter it's the Right Thing to calculate exactly how many seeds you need for Spring 1 planting, buy them, then spend every last remaining G on wood, ahead of the crazy 5x price increase.

I already burned through the wood stockpile I got from Robin at the end of Y1. But yes buying it is an option I keep forgetting exists. Probably will end up doing that. Wood is still fairly easy to come by. Just go clearcut the woods like a Captain Planet villain.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Oxyclean posted:

How do you buy the seeds ahead of time? I thought they didn't swap over till the season changes? (Unless you have the stock list, which is probably quite hard to get by that point in the game) I imagine you can do the calculation and use the difference on wood, but i"m not crazy about that for the number of times I've miscalculated something or needed to make an emergency late day purchase on planting day.

You can buy them at the Night Market.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

I need to ramp up the keg production myself. I've been lazy about it. I keep running out of wood. It's silly!

But I've covered all the quests except for Totally-Not-Lance-From-Pokemon Lance's monster crop quest, so I can afford to go on a resource gathering spree.

What's the best way to get unholy amounts of iron? Floors 40 to 70ish of the mines or the Skull Cavern? The mines might be better as I could also get coal from the Dust Sprites...

buy it, gotta spend money to make money and the kegs only take 1 iron so it's not like it takes long to work it off.

if you're opposed to that then youll want to just do 40-70, altho i find 50-60 and looping a bit more lucrative. i usually use bombs to save time clearing out large clusters

Sloober fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 23, 2024

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Oxyclean posted:

Well I buy mostly rhubarb seeds from Sandy for however much I can't fill with ancient fruit, but if you like to grow other spring stuff in year 2 then yes you'll just have to keep that much money aside for Spring 1 purchase.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Oxyclean posted:

Saving up for expensive poo poo makes me not get why people want to play with reduced income or similar mods that make money harder.

Similarly, even if your money making ability is enhanced in the early game by co-op, it feels like you incur a bunch more costs trying to do multiple backpack upgrades, tool upgrades, book faire books, etc.

I suppose it's something where money for all the reasonable priced stuff becomes trivial quickly, but then all the super expensive convenience stuff feels like you can't afford it until you barely need it anymore.
yeah, it's this exactly.

im going to fiddle with some difficulty settings and mods, including the one with market demand linked earlier, and follow up here if i find something good.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

If anyone is running short on wood don't forget the machine Robin sells for 5k that turns hardwood into normal wood. It also works with driftwood.

Its not the solution to wood problems but it does help.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

limp_cheese posted:

If anyone is running short on wood don't forget the machine Robin sells for 5k that turns hardwood into normal wood. It also works with driftwood.

Its not the solution to wood problems but it does help.

In theory it should have good synergy with mahogany trees, but in practice they grow too slowly to help much. They're great if you have the forest farm with the daily hardwood stumps to feed to the chippers. Sadly there's no warp totem for the secret woods for those of us on other farm types. As it is, it's more efficient to just keep a forest on your farm or in the quarry to fertilize and chop on the regular.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Oxyclean posted:

Saving up for expensive poo poo makes me not get why people want to play with reduced income or similar mods that make money harder.

I'm doing a normal game with my wife and we have played enough that the community center was unlocked by the first week of winter, then the island right after that. The island was annoying that early as we still had a bunch of other stuff to finish on the mainland and it made the island feel like a chore. For the income reduction game, I am forcing a slower progression to keep the scrappy early game longer and spread out the grind (as there is still a grind for money for like the bus unlock) but there will probably be a big late game grind to get some of the expensive stuff. By then i expect the island farm will be 100% ancient fruit and kegs that I check once a week. Less income also means I am selling stuff directly to Pierre some days and now hit the dialogue from the villagers where he is taking credit for all your hard work so it is time to start gifting him trash

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Eric the Mauve posted:

In theory it should have good synergy with mahogany trees, but in practice they grow too slowly to help much. They're great if you have the forest farm with the daily hardwood stumps to feed to the chippers. Sadly there's no warp totem for the secret woods for those of us on other farm types. As it is, it's more efficient to just keep a forest on your farm or in the quarry to fertilize and chop on the regular.

tree fertilizer is easy to make

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Okay I Kramered into Clint's and dropped half a mil on a stack of 999 coal and 999 iron ore. Also commissioned a second shed.

It is keg o'clock baby!

Also somebody mentioned putting bee houses to the west of the island farm for fairy rose honey. I don't know why I never thought of doing that holy poo poo.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I bought 3 gold ore once because I had two gold ore and I needed a gold bar to make my 9th quality sprinkler for the ideal hops layout. I mean geez.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Imagine not leaving half your farm in a feral overgrown tree state for wood whenever you need it......

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

TurnipFritter posted:

Imagine not leaving half your farm in a feral overgrown tree state for wood whenever you need it......

Please don't doxx me and my farms.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Living my best life as the town weirdo who spends all their time in caves except twice a week when they emerge to throw diamonds at anyone they encounter and then get discovered in the morning passed out in their field or around town.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Okay I Kramered into Clint's and dropped half a mil on a stack of 999 coal and 999 iron ore. Also commissioned a second shed.

It is keg o'clock baby!

Incidentally making Clint the world's wealthiest incel

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

So like, how did Joja mark opening in town undermine the community of Pelican town anyway, why is the community center in shambles by the time the farmer arrives?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Avalerion posted:

So like, how did Joja mark opening in town undermine the community of Pelican town anyway, why is the community center in shambles by the time the farmer arrives?

People were buying sodas instead of spending time with the community. See it everyday.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Speaking of Clint: In my newer save file I received a piece of mail from Clint asking me to deliver an iron ingot to him for "scientific research". Bitch, metalsmithing is your job; why should I dip into my limited supply of iron ore for you?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 23, 2024

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Avalerion posted:

Lewis only gives a poo poo about loving around and getting paid. Man was probably taking kickbacks from Joja to get the mart built.

Kent had to go to war, Emily and Haley's parents are absent. The Mulleners are too old to contribute. And Jas and Vincent too young. Demetrius too wrapped up in his science, Robin's too busy, Clints a selfish isolated prick, Pierre only supports things that will drive business.

Just the entire community avoiding the responsibility of maintaining the space until farmer showed up. gently caress, it's lucky Gunther's such a G or the library would also be gone.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Okay, for the first time I'm going to try to do the Skull Cavern mines. In my previous runs, I've gotten down a couple of floors, gone gently caress this, and left.

Can you guys help me understand the strategy? I made lots of bombs, read the dwarf book that makes you more bomb-resistant, made as many staircases as I had stone (not all that much). The best weapons I have are The Slammer club and Yeti Tooth sword. Do I need to buy the Lava Katana to have a chance? And how the hell do you deal with the undying bugs? And at what level does iridium start showing up?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Gunther spends all his spare time writing and submitting grant proposals just so he can keep the lights on, because he's not getting anything out of the municipal budget. That's why we can't befriend him.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Okay, for the first time I'm going to try to do the Skull Cavern mines. In my previous runs, I've gotten down a couple of floors, gone gently caress this, and left.

Can you guys help me understand the strategy? I made lots of bombs, read the dwarf book that makes you more bomb-resistant, made as many staircases as I had stone (not all that much). The best weapons I have are The Slammer club and Yeti Tooth sword. Do I need to buy the Lava Katana to have a chance? And how the hell do you deal with the undying bugs? And at what level does iridium start showing up?

Yes get the lava katana. Check the fortune teller on the tv and go on a day when the spirits are in good humor. In addition to stairs and bombs also bring plenty of healing items, a stack of cheese is a good one. If you have some spare rubies, trade them to the deset trader for some spicy eels, and on sunday you can buy more staircases with jade.

What I do is spawn into the floor, drop a bomb onto a cluster of rocks, whack things that fly at me until it explodes and hopefully reveals stairs or a hole, if not I drop another bomb and keep whacking. If it's a crap floor layout like a long corridor or a monster infested floor I drop stairs and go to the next one.

Ignore the bugs.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Do you have a prismatic shard yet? Sometimes you can get lucky with one from the Mines. If you do, you can get a better sword immediately. Else the Lava Katana would be a smart buy.

Good Caverns strategy is don't waste time on enemies. Just bomb and if you don't see the stairs or a hole within the first 5-10 seconds of looking, use a staircase.

Also, jump in all holes but be ready to heal in case it's a big drop. There are enemies in the Caverns who will start attacking you almost immediately upon entering a floor.

I would say iridium nodes start to show up past level 20 and become increasingly common past level 40. Close to level 100 you can expect probably 5+ nodes per floor.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

bobfather posted:

Do you have a prismatic shard yet? Sometimes you can get lucky with one from the Mines. If you do, you can get a better sword immediately. Else the Lava Katana would be a smart buy.

Good Caverns strategy is don't waste time on enemies. Just bomb and if you don't see the stairs or a hole within the first 5-10 seconds of looking, use a staircase.

Also, jump in all holes but be ready to heal in case it's a big drop. There are enemies in the Caverns who will start attacking you almost immediately upon entering a floor.

I would say iridium nodes start to show up past level 20 and become increasingly common past level 40. Close to level 100 you can expect probably 5+ nodes per floor.

I have a Prismatic Shard; what do I do with it?

The best way I've found to deal with mummies is to kill them, then bomb the remains; is there a better way?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Have you translated the Dwarvish Gravestone in the graveyard?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

No! I didn't even know I could!

e: That's to say, I can read Dwarvish, but I had never noticed that tombstone.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Oh and leave anything you don't need in a chest at home, you want as much room in your backpack as you can manage.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have a Prismatic Shard; what do I do with it?

The best way I've found to deal with mummies is to kill them, then bomb the remains; is there a better way?

Post ginger island you can get a weapon enchant that kills mummies instantly, but until then yea need to bomb them.

Prismatic shard, hold it and stand between the three pillars in the desert.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 23, 2024

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Don't waste time fighting anything in the Skull Cavern unless you absolutely have to to stay alive.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Excuse me?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

a side effect of the farmer getting everyone in town to 10 hearts.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Leal posted:

Excuse me?

Grab your rod and go

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Leal posted:

Excuse me?

Disgraceful!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Leal posted:

Excuse me?

Oh no, I'm not falling for this one.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Now I'm being forced to consider who else is in attendance.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Gaius Marius posted:

Have you translated the Dwarvish Gravestone in the graveyard?

yo what

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Avalerion posted:

Oh and leave anything you don't need in a chest at home, you want as much room in your backpack as you can manage.

Post ginger island you can get a weapon enchant that kills mummies instantly, but until then yea need to bomb them.

Prismatic shard, hold it and stand between the three pillars in the desert.

the enchant is actually really useful in the endgame dungeons, ghost and mummy floors can be profitable and it also increases damage against green ghosts aka the most dangerous enemy in the game

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Avalerion posted:

Also bring two chests to set up in the skull cave for when you forget to do this, I also put a chest near the bus stop for things to bring to the desert so i don't have to run back to the farm (jade, rocks, rando food, flowers for Sandy, etc)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The only riches I need is the love of my friends and community, and luckily I can get that for free from all the random poo poo I find in the forest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Leal posted:

Excuse me?

What is that? I saw a notification for that but didn't see anything set up for it like the trout derby or squid festival.