Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

smackfu posted:

Is it weird that Olivia Rodrigo has a single that’s only on the deluxe version of Guts?

Or am I just an old timer hung up on albums and singles only have a loose connection to them at this point.

What's weirder these days is when a single drops and its not on any album. Its just a random loosie. Been happening a lot too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The REAL Goobusters posted:

What's weirder these days is when a single drops and its not on any album. Its just a random loosie. Been happening a lot too.

That's been a thing forever - Hey Jude and Love Will Tear Us Apart are some of their bands biggest tracks, for example. Check out this whole list of bangers.

It's cool when people are able to put out stuff that doesn't fit into the larger project the artist (or their label) are working towards, rather than let it go to waste.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Dropping random singles makes more sense now than it ever has, really. It's not like they actually drive album sales anymore, so whether or not it belongs to an album is pretty much arbitrary.

What I really miss is when the single would be mixed differently than its album version. Still happens occasionally, but usually if they're intentionally doing an album rollout, they'll just drop tracks directly from the album without even changing an outro transition or anything.

(The worst of both worlds is when they create a whole new "EP" of whatever songs they've released so far every time a single comes out. So by the time the album is out there are like 5 identical copies of the first single.)

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 29, 2024

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
pop music thread! this song Blessed Madonna dropped in her Coachella set bugged me since I heard it on the livestream, and now someone's finally clipped it so I can start asking about it: https://www.reddit.com/r/whatsongisthis/comments/1ce2dyf/blessed_madonna_coachella_set_track_id/

this is absolutely an unreleased song, but I dunno who's singing it. my first assumption is Dua Lipa because Blessed Madonna has worked with her and she has an album out soon, but I could also be it being one of a lot of other singers with British accents?

i'm looking forward to this whenever/if ever it drops, at least. there's not much more to it than what's in this clip but it's a good-rear end hook

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

What I really miss is when the single would be mixed differently than its album version. Still happens occasionally, but usually if they're intentionally doing an album rollout, they'll just drop tracks directly from the album without even changing an outro transition or anything.

the most ridiculous version of this might be Franz Ferdinand's Lucid Dreams. the original just sounds like any Franz Ferdinand song before 2009:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZATYm3OHSfg

and then the album version was this, which I can only describe as a composition designed to make fans of the original song as annoyed as possible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jHYSIq16nw

i'm not sure you could even get the single version on Spotify/Apple Music until they put out an otherwise-pointless best-of compilation a few years ago

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

The REAL Goobusters posted:

This was actually more common in the UK for a long time. In the US, it didn’t happen as often, but it did occasionally.

Part of it was that it was that there was a stronger singles market in the UK than in the states. In the 60s, you saw this a lot. Artists would appeal to the singles market by putting out songs only as a single. They still pulled singles from albums, but I think they mainly did it before the album was released. Over time, it shifted, but non album singles were quite common until the 2000s it seems. Some bands and scenes were more likely to do it than others. So the Smiths did a lot of that, but Duran Duran had far fewer.

In the US, it was common in the 60s. The way it worked is that a band would release a single, and if it was big, it got included on the next LP, and if not, it got skipped. Look at I Get Around and The Little Girl I Once Knew. Both released outside of the album cycle, which is why they were mono only. IGA was a big hit, and got on their next LP, LGIOK wasn’t. Although to be fair, the next LP was Pet Sounds, but that Capital wasn’t putting pressure on the band to include it speaks volumes.

Now, it feels like we’re going back to the US model. If a song is a success, it gets thrown onto the album.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Part of it was that it was that there was a stronger singles market in the UK than in the states. In the 60s, you saw this a lot. Artists would appeal to the singles market by putting out songs only as a single. They still pulled singles from albums, but I think they mainly did it before the album was released. Over time, it shifted, but non album singles were quite common until the 2000s it seems. Some bands and scenes were more likely to do it than others. So the Smiths did a lot of that, but Duran Duran had far fewer.

In the US, it was common in the 60s. The way it worked is that a band would release a single, and if it was big, it got included on the next LP, and if not, it got skipped. Look at I Get Around and The Little Girl I Once Knew. Both released outside of the album cycle, which is why they were mono only. IGA was a big hit, and got on their next LP, LGIOK wasn’t. Although to be fair, the next LP was Pet Sounds, but that Capital wasn’t putting pressure on the band to include it speaks volumes.

My main example of this is the Bloc Party song Flux, it came out as a single and was on the US version of A Weekend in the City (ruining the flow and tone of the album in the process) but wasn't on the UK version.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAAekkeN3r0

it's back

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
that's that me espresso.... :coffeepal:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I remember there were Sabrina haters in this thread :chord:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o01RqjMBS7I

Charly Bliss has completed their full transition to pop and I think this is my favorite of the songs they’ve released in this album cycle

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
New Caroline Polachek song which appears to be for a movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmdKkUfpRew

Pretty different, sort of a blown-out 90s guitar vibe.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

I remember there were Sabrina haters in this thread :chord:

took her a while, but she finally got a good song

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can’t fuckin wait for I Saw the TV Glow omg

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Escobarbarian posted:

Can’t fuckin wait for I Saw the TV Glow omg

keep hearing nothing but rave reviews for it

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Track list of soundtrack

I Saw The TV Glow (Soundtrack) Tracklist

1. Yeule — “Anthems For A Seventeen-Year-Old Girl”
2. Frances Quinlan — “Another Season”
3. Caroline Polachek — “Starburned And Unkissed”
4. Florist — “Riding Around In The Dark”
5. Bartees Strange — “Big Glow”
6. Maria BC — “Taper”
7. King Woman — “Psychic Wound”
8. Jay Som — “If I Could”
9. L’Rain — “Green”
10. The Weather Station — “Moonlight”
11. Drab Majesty — “Photograph”
12. Proper — “The 90s”
13. Sadurn — “How Can I Get Out?”
14. King Woman — “Bury”
15. Sloppy Jane — “Claw Machine” Feat. Phoebe Bridgers

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
On first listen I’m not sure I’m feeling this dua lipa album. First few singles painted a different picture of what this album was going to be like.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm a big Dula Peep fan and I have to admit this album is really boring on a first listen. Not as boring as the Miley Cyrus LP, but shockingly close. Future Nostalgia had hooks for days, what happened here.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

I'm a big Dula Peep fan and I have to admit this album is really boring on a first listen. Not as boring as the Miley Cyrus LP, but shockingly close. Future Nostalgia had hooks for days, what happened here.

drat thats a good comparison. I actually feel the same way.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

looking into what the hell is going on in modern pop where everyone's forgotten how to write hooks except people writing 80 second songs for tiktok

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yeah it's not grabbed me. I don't hate it but I've not pulled anything onto my playlist on the first listen.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

looking into what the hell is going on in modern pop where everyone's forgotten how to write hooks except people writing 80 second songs for tiktok

Charli XCX will save pop in 2024

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There was a blind item earlier this year predicting a new Carly album in summer 2024, I still have hope.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

argyile the album i guess

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
"If these walls could talk, they'd tell us to break up" is a Tortured Poets-worthy lyric

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

that mystery Blessed Madonna song I posted a bit ago (a) has more hooks in 60 seconds than this entire album and (b) I'm pretty sure is not by Dua Lipa, who's voice I guess I kinda forgot. it could be a Charli vocal? there's a bunch of processing on it

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Guess who got a guest spot in the Feud of the Summer

https://x.com/popcrave/status/1786439396285202636?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I hope he gets a taste for it and pop can be free of his boring goddamn poo poo.