Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Phlegmish posted:

Mustang's post was interesting in that regard. He couldn't understand why people would want to move there. My immediate thought was that it probably involves factors similar to the ones that compelled him to live there for 15 years himself.

I was there for 15 years because my dad was in the Army and I had no choice in the matter. Would have left sooner but literally every job I had paid poverty wages and no benefits. Can't move if you're broke. Joining the Army myself at 27 was the only way I was able to finally get out.

FL has absolutely nothing to offer young people. If you complain you're lazy and good for nothing. Lots of preaching about pulling yourself up by the bootstraps from the old bastards riding around in golf carts.

I was in Tampa and rent there today is comparable to what I'm paying in Seattle without any of the amenities or quality of life improvements that I get from living in Washington.

Any parent that moves their family to FL is setting their kids up for having a needlessly difficult and unpleasant introduction to adulthood.

Mustang fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
...but it rains in Seattle!? How could a person deal with that!?

- signed, a person confused by people moving away to a swamp because they are afraid of a little snow.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i think that snowbird migration from mega city one will start winding down or reversing because thanks to our insightful industrialists it doesn't really snow south of nyc anymore

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

OddObserver posted:

...but it rains in Seattle!? How could a person deal with that!?

- signed, a person confused by people moving away to a swamp because they are afraid of a little snow.

rain & snow kick rear end, hth

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Seattle weather isn't really the common comparison for Florida, its not a huge source of people moving. Chicago or Boston or NYC, which are, have winters that are a whole different ballgame. They're objectively awful as far as beinh a human and being outdoors goes, and I can absolutely see why someone no longer tied to one of those areas by a job would want to move somewhere with a cheaper cost of living _and_ far better weather.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Blut posted:

Seattle weather isn't really the common comparison for Florida, its not a huge source of people moving. Chicago or Boston or NYC, which are, have winters that are a whole different ballgame. They're objectively awful as far as beinh a human and being outdoors goes, and I can absolutely see why someone no longer tied to one of those areas by a job would want to move somewhere with a cheaper cost of living _and_ far better weather.

Funny to read that after living through basically one of the warmest, least snowing winters Boston has ever had. Honestly we haven't had a winter with appreciable snow since 2017-18

Orlando has like 4 months of 30C+ degree average days with huge humidity and 14 rain days.

Kagrenak fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 2, 2024

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Blut posted:

Seattle weather isn't really the common comparison for Florida

if anything it probably rains about the same it's just that in florida it comes in a much shorter time frame and usually with wind, storm surge, and returned hurricane bullets

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Yeah in Seattle it's less "it rains" and more "it is ALWAYS raining".

Very hard to find a map of rainfall that is measured in time rather than inches/centimeters, but here's one for cloudcover:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

older so probably wrong from how weve hosed up the planet but i really like the style

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Goons hate the sun, news at 11

To be honest, I myself can't really stand the heat, but I assume Florida must be reasonably temperate, surrounded by the ocean on three sides.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Muscle Tracer posted:

Very hard to find a map of rainfall that is measured in time rather than inches/centimeters, but here's one for cloudcover:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Kagrenak posted:

Funny to read that after living through basically one of the warmest, least snowing winters Boston has ever had. Honestly we haven't had a winter with appreciable snow since 2017-18

Orlando has like 4 months of 30C+ degree average days with huge humidity and 14 rain days.

2014-2015 "snowiest Boston winter ever" winter was about average for Syracuse. Boston and NYC winters are very mild. They lack the snow of places like lake snow belt and Colorado. They lack the cold of places like Minnesota.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
The year before I moved to Bergen, Norway they'd had a period of 100 consecutive days with at least some rain. It would have gone up to over 120 days if it had rained an hour earlier on the 102nd day IIRC - it fell at something like 01.02 AM. Though Bergen itself wasn't nearly as bad as the first two years in the area when I lived on one of the islands shielding the city from the North Sea - there we had the open sea 150m from our house, shielded by nothing but a shallow swamp that against all reason existed right top of the rockbed. That place had downright apocalyptic rain and wind most days in the fall and winter, so it was lovely to be sharing a house with my brother who'd brought two large dogs with him that had to be walked thoroughly each day.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Phlegmish posted:

To be honest, I myself can't really stand the heat, but I assume Florida must be reasonably temperate, surrounded by the ocean on three sides.
It's surrounded by some of the warmest waters of its latitude though, and southern Florida is one of the highest latitude tropical areas in the world. That said, it's no Singapore, which is like permanent Floridian summer.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by reasonably temperate. The daily mean temperature of Miami's coldest month is still about 1°C above that of the warmest in Brussels.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Americans love nothing more than to move to hot places and spend 23,5 hours a day in air conditioned spaces

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

Florida, especially the southern half, is a place where you will spend the majority of the year sweating your rear end off the moment you walk out the door. There's also not much difference in seasons, just "holy gently caress its hot" and "its kinda hot". Maybe a couple weeks of hoody weather. It's a bit cooler on the coasts with a breeze but still hot as gently caress. It's not just surrounded by water, there's water all over the interior of the state too. If you fly over FL it doesn't even look like a solid piece of land because there's lakes, ponds, rivers, swamps, etc everywhere. There's a reason you don't build basements in FL.

Muscle Tracer posted:

The gloomy months are offset by the fact that WA is also vibrantly green. Not very cold either, rarely ever goes below freezing.

Shibby0709
Oct 30, 2011

one fat looking fat guy

Ras Het posted:

Americans love nothing more than to move to hot places and spend 23,5 hours a day in air conditioned spaces

You expect me to be outside for thirty minutes in this heat!?

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

Mustang posted:

The gloomy months are offset by the fact that WA is also vibrantly green. Not very cold either, rarely ever goes below freezing.

People in Upstate NY were always saying stuff like
“But you’re moving to Seattle!?!?, how will you stand the rainy gloomy dooooom?”

Exact same weather really, except winters are warmer so the grass doesn’t die, and most trees are evergreen. Back to my hometown in winter, with the cold weather and dead looking trees and brown lawns and gray concrete all under a gray sky…ooooooooof.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The real issue with Seattle is that hundreds of thousands will die in the upcoming Really Big One.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The frozen Great Lakes do look pretty rad though.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Kagrenak posted:

A "good" winter in Boston like this years still has plenty of 0C temperatures which are incredibly unpleasant to try to do any sort of outdoor activity during though.

In January this year when Boston was having 5C to 0C days, and -5C to 10C nights, Ft Lauderdale was having 25C days and 15C nights. Thats a world of difference in pleasantness for 95% of humans (the 5% of desperately heliophobic goons and similar aside, I guess). Mid 20s and sunny is generally regarded as being the most pleasant weather for humans to exist in.

The best real world solution is probably to be snowbirds, who apparently make up about a pretty significant 5% of Florida's population these days.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I maintain the truly desirable part is long sunlight hours. If I had the money to support such a lifestyle, I would certainly attempt shuttling between Canada and New Zealand on the equinoxes to live it up in the sun.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

highest latitude tropical areas

Geography is in chaos.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Blut posted:

0C temperatures which are incredibly unpleasant to try to do any sort of outdoor activity during

Lmao come on, wear a hat

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Chicago winter is not that bad, please consider growing up

also why are we talking about American winters in celsius

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

Chicago winter is not that bad, please consider growing up

also why are we talking about American winters in celsius

Because we're talking about them with Europeans, I suppose.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Blut posted:

A "good" winter in Boston like this years still has plenty of 0C temperatures which are incredibly unpleasant to try to do any sort of outdoor activity during though.

Having a good laugh at this when one weather model is currently predicting 20 inches of snow and 70 mph gusts next week where I am.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

I maintain the truly desirable part is long sunlight hours. If I had the money to support such a lifestyle, I would certainly attempt shuttling between Canada and New Zealand on the equinoxes to live it up in the sun.
New Zealand is barely south compared to land in the northern hemisphere. The southern tip of the South Island is only as south as like... Portland Oregon is north. Wellington is as far south as Rome is north. You're going to have to go to southern Patagonia to get land with the same extreme amount of sun as something like northern Europe (which itself is much further north than most of populated Canada, if you're looking for long spring/summer days).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Kennel posted:

They should move the capital based on that.

I honestly believe there should have never been a District of Columbia and the US federal government should've been an itinerant court, always feeding off local Governors and Mayors and such

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itinerant_court

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Imagine the stress over who has to host the Pentagon this year.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Imagine the stress over who has to host the Pentagon this year.

The entire federal government moves to... New Hampshire!

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
For some reason lots of people in the UK think of florida as the dream destination. A combination of lots of space, cheap (compared to the UK) housing/cost of living. They have been to spain on holiday which is dry heat (a bit like LA) and don't understand the hell that is humid heat.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Muscle Tracer posted:

here's one in days that seems to support "its always raining in seattle"

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

It definitely "rains" a lot in Seattle but it's usually a light rain or a drizzle. The torrential downpours you get in the South would terrify the people here.

I enjoy the constant drizzle during the winter, makes it seem like time slows down just a bit in a world that moves way too fast.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

I move to the east coast, to a state that both is and isn’t the South

Thoughts on the identity of this anonymous state?

I think that it has to be either Maryland or Delaware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Blut posted:

In January this year when Boston was having 5C to 0C days, and -5C to 10C nights, Ft Lauderdale was having 25C days and 15C nights. Thats a world of difference in pleasantness for 95% of humans (the 5% of desperately heliophobic goons and similar aside, I guess). Mid 20s and sunny is generally regarded as being the most pleasant weather for humans to exist in.

The best real world solution is probably to be snowbirds, who apparently make up about a pretty significant 5% of Florida's population these days.

Actually what's goony and pathetic is thinking you can optimise your life by picking a favourable climate and moving there. You need to grow into your environment and understand it. Finns are the happiest people in the world despite an objectively inhuman winter - the flipside is that we enter a five month long manic psychosis in May and experience life in a way someone never could in their Florida condo, surrounded by unfamiliar birds and meaningless nature