Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
The main reason i learned english as a kid was that games weren't localized in brazilian portuguese yet, and all the best guides on the internet at the time were in english. But i was also consuming anglophone shows, movies and music, and people would sometimes use english terms when speaking.

Also even when something is dubbed you're still aware of where it came from, like you're still going to get mentions of stuff like Thanksgiving, PB&J sandwiches, US specific school life, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I picked up most of my English by playing Monkey Island and watching The Simpsons.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

drk posted:

edit: ah perhaps its their great love for terrible american TV

Partly, but now it's mostly because it just has critical mass. Pretty much everywhere in the world is switching to English as a mandatory high school subject (if not before), even in places with strong and once-ubiquitously-spoken major colonial languages like Algeria for French or Azerbaijan for Russian.

Like I think of all European national leaders, Erdogan is the only one who is not known to speak fluent English. It was something like this:

but the one I remembered still had Merkel on it. Also does Olaf Scholz seriously not speak either English or French? If that map is accurate, then that's pathetic.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Saladman posted:

Partly, but now it's mostly because it just has critical mass. Pretty much everywhere in the world is switching to English as a mandatory high school subject (if not before), even in places with strong and once-ubiquitously-spoken major colonial languages like Algeria for French or Azerbaijan for Russian.

Like I think of all European national leaders, Erdogan is the only one who is not known to speak fluent English. It was something like this:

but the one I remembered still had Merkel on it. Also does Olaf Scholz seriously not speak either English or French? If that map is accurate, then that's pathetic.

its sad that so many leaders in europe are non verbal :eng99:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Saladman posted:

Here is Scholz addressing the world economic forum in English: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzSx0ZA0qEo&t=308s

I'm guessing he doesn't feel completely fluent so he won't list it, but it doesn't look like he is having a lot of trouble with it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

It shows signs that societies are more accepting of people with developmental disabilities so I think its great.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Guavanaut posted:

German would probably be the default language of chemistry and electrical engineering if if weren't for that period where a lot of international goodwill was burned, most of the 1880s-1920s stuff is compiled in that language.
Around the start of the millennium, I had a German teacher who was still convinced of the need to know German if you wanted to get into a technical field. He wasn't right, but I did actually end up having to use German later on due to the manual for some electrical gizmo only being available in German. I wouldn't be surprised if he had been right a decade or two earlier, and perhaps he still was for electrical engineering in particular.

Eiba posted:

So while the root cause is the British Empire, I imagine the huge number of speakers is as much because English has achieved a critical mass and it's useful to everyone now as an international language.
I'd argue that Denmark is close to being institutionally bi-lingual at this point, as kids are taught English from first grade now, in parallel to being taught Danish. Obviously they'll have head-start for the latter, but that is a pretty firm acknowledgment of the importance of English as a language.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I picked up most of my English by playing Monkey Island and watching The Simpsons.
As a true connoisseur of American culture, I picked up English from Baywatch, resulting in me picking up traits from both the Valley Girl and Surfer sociolects.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Shows how truly progressive Europe is actually.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We had an assistant German teacher in school who was ESL (German native speaker) but she spoke english with a really pronounced American accent, which was very weird to me.

gently caress knows what I sounded like to a German though, probably Bavarian or something.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

FreudianSlippers posted:

like 50% of my vocabulary is from lucasarts games & my dad's stack of 70s mad magazine. also why i knew who spiro agnew was and what he looked like

OwlFancier posted:

We had an assistant German teacher in school who was ESL (German native speaker) but she spoke english with a really pronounced American accent, which was very weird to me.

gently caress knows what I sounded like to a German though, probably Bavarian or something.

my first english teacher spoke 100% RP. my high school teacher was more normal-sounding. they were both pretty good teachers tho. i remember writing an essay with something like "the moon was revoluting about the planet" and thinking i was hot poo poo for it until i got my marks back lol

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 19, 2024

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Around the start of the millennium, I had a German teacher who was still convinced of the need to know German if you wanted to get into a technical field. He wasn't right, but I did actually end up having to use German later on due to the manual for some electrical gizmo only being available in German. I wouldn't be surprised if he had been right a decade or two earlier, and perhaps he still was for electrical engineering in particular.

When I started a law degree in the Czech Republic (before I dropped it a month later for a tech one in the UK, not sure it was the best choice these days) we were basically told that English was far less useful than German because so much of the case law is in German or comes from German-speaking countries. Up until then German along with French were treated as hobby languages more than anything, was a bit of a surprise.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 19, 2024

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
It's like when I or another ESL person takes that NYT dialect quiz, the thing goes crazy because we picked up pronunciation from a variety of shows and movies.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Frionnel posted:

It's like when I or another ESL person takes that NYT dialect quiz, the thing goes crazy because we picked up pronunciation from a variety of shows and movies.

there's also a lot of words we probably haven't heard ever but only read

e: one girl in my high school class had been an exchange student in california and had gone full valley girl, started literally every sentence with "so like,". it was pretty funny in mid 90s denmark i tell u hwut

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I kinda hope somewhere there's someone who's learned really fluent english but unfortunately they were taught it by the most geordie bloke in the universe and is now completely incomprehensible to anyone else.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Guavanaut posted:

And German failures in diplomacy.

German would probably be the default language of chemistry and electrical engineering if if weren't for that period where a lot of international goodwill was burned, most of the 1880s-1920s stuff is compiled in that language.

My PhD advisor told me of a time back in his day where all chemistry students had to learn German as another language

Not so much anymore, but it wasn't that long ago

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

OwlFancier posted:

I kinda hope somewhere there's someone who's learned really fluent english but unfortunately they were taught it by the most geordie bloke in the universe and is now completely incomprehensible to anyone else.

p sure there was an american goon who was taught german by an austrian and their had pen-pals somewhere in germany. then at some point they spoke on the phone the german was like "i cant talk to this hick" and they never spoke or wrote again

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Carthag Tuek posted:

p sure there was an american goon who was taught german by an austrian and their had pen-pals somewhere in germany. then at some point they spoke on the phone the german was like "i cant talk to this hick" and they never spoke or wrote again

Lmao. Sounds about right to me.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

My PhD advisor told me of a time back in his day where all chemistry students had to learn German as another language

Not so much anymore, but it wasn't that long ago
Yeah 'German for Chemists' stuck around for quite a while as a module, same as 'Glassblowing for Chemists' long after standard glassware, probably because there was a good chance at the PhD level that you'd have to pick up one of those binders of papers that were only in German to reference.

It just stopped being the prestige language you'd be expected to publish in a while before then.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
What is the perception of the various German accents? Thinking of starting to learn German since a good friend of mine is moving to Frankfurt later this year.

Berlin is the only place in Germany I've ever been, did a study tour there in grad school. Still a lot of the country I'd like to see.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

there's also a lot of words we probably haven't heard ever but only read

e: one girl in my high school class had been an exchange student in california and had gone full valley girl, started literally every sentence with "so like,". it was pretty funny in mid 90s denmark i tell u hwut
The Valley Girl sociolect is peak American/Anglo culture.

Mustang posted:

What is the perception of the various German accents?
Platt = Good
Dutch = Funny
High German = Bad

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Mustang posted:

What is the perception of the various German accents? Thinking of starting to learn German since a good friend of mine is moving to Frankfurt later this year.

Berlin is the only place in Germany I've ever been, did a study tour there in grad school. Still a lot of the country I'd like to see.

get real weird with it and learn Hunsrik

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

This came up in the thread not too long ago. When I speak English, it's with my approximation of a generic US English accent, even though we were taught RP in school. The United States is my frame of reference for the English language, on a mostly subconscious level. Even Brits themselves often switch to an American accent when e.g. singing - again, as we discussed recently.

The current dominance of English is mostly due to the United States, and you can clearly see that in the timeline. It didn't truly become the sole international lingua franca until well after World War II, when the British Empire had already collapsed. Of course, the USA is itself obviously the result of British colonialism, so it's a second-order thing, as said by Carthag.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 19, 2024

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I think Brits get really mad when you point out that they didn’t really cause their language to be important, so I encourage you to keep saying it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like the UK probably has quite a bit to do with the prevalence of the language in say, India, and parts of Africa.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Allegedly Lenin spoke English with a slight Irish accent because his English tutor when he was in exile was an Irishman.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like the UK probably has quite a bit to do with the prevalence of the language in say, India, and parts of Africa.
That wouldn't make the language important, it's just a bonus.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Aside from the one-two punch of Britain having the biggest empire in the world and then American cultural domination spreading media and army bases all over the world, there are a bunch of more official ways that English has been internationally enshrined.
  • It is the official international language for air and sea travel. For internal flights countries use their own language, but internationally you don't just hope your pilots know the right language for the new area they're passing through, everybody speaks English (and they try to keep it more regulated than standard english as well to maintain communication). Canada once tried to get French allowed for intra-Quebec flights, but air traffic controllers rebelled against that
  • It is the language of computers. Many very important developments in computer science happened in America, and the majority of programming languages are derived from english, so it helps to know how the normal grammar works.
  • Most former colonies still have to reference bits of law from when they were colonies, so even if the country more officially renounced English, lawyers still need to know it
  • It is an official language of the UN. One of six, all of the security council permanent members got their language in, and then Arabic and Spanish got in just for being very widely used. The location of the UN in NYC also means it's probably the most immediately useful language for anybody going off to the UN for diplomatic reasons.
  • It is an official language of the EU. Regardless of Brexit, Britain was a founding member of the EU, and as part of that, it was required for there to be English copies of all official documents, and that continues and is likely to remain so regardless of the UK's presence, as English is still the most widely spoken language in the EU.
  • The Vienna Convention on Road Signs and Signals prioritized using English for a number of situations with international road signs, and is the most widely used traffic sign standard (especially including systems derived from the Vienna Convention). Second most widely used are traffic signs based on America's Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices. Granted, most of the places that more commonly use English instead of a local language usually have some kind of colonial influence.

OwlFancier posted:

I think in India it's still the most widely used language even if it's usually not people's first language.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Valley Girl sociolect is peak American/Anglo culture.

Platt = Good
Dutch = Funny
High German = Bad

Is Dutch just German with an accent? would explain a lot

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Honestly it seems very cruel to inflict english on the rest of the world, I get that it was convenient at the time but it seems like a lot of technical debt.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The most streamed TV show in the world, not just children's, but in general, is now Bluey, so I guess it's Australia's turn to pick up the cultural torch for English.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

drk posted:

German is Dutch with an accent. Just consonant shifting all over the place for no reason.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Honestly it seems very cruel to inflict english on the rest of the world, I get that it was convenient at the time but it seems like a lot of technical debt.

Most human languages are messy; IMHO English is at the easier part of the spectrum, too.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

[*]It is an official language of the EU. Regardless of Brexit, Britain was a founding member of the EU, and as part of that, it was required for there to be English copies of all official documents, and that continues and is likely to remain so regardless of the UK's presence, as English is still the most widely spoken language in the EU.
AFAIK, the UK leaving the EU actually strengthened the position of English in the EU, since it's now a much more (internally) neutral language now.

Guavanaut posted:

The most streamed TV show in the world, not just children's, but in general, is now Bluey, so I guess it's Australia's turn to pick up the cultural torch for English.
Apparently Peppa Pig affected the language of American children, so Bluey probably will too.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The more I learn about other languages, the happier I am with English. No complicated endings, no grammatical gender. It's got two different branches of Indo-European as a basis for its vocabulary, and it absorbs words easily, so it has a ton of synonyms for nuance. If it's a creole, or was just grammatically simplified by Norse invaders- good. gently caress complicated grammar.

The spelling could be more standardized, but the language itself seems fine. No really obnoxious quirks like most languages seem to have.

I feel like learning about the established status quo is usually frustrating as things are often arbitrary inefficient and unjust, but honestly English seems like a decent language to arbitrarily be the world's lingua franca.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

drk posted:

all germanic languages are a soup, but once borders and language commitees started showing up they diverged. also navies, and time.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Eiba posted:

No really obnoxious quirks like most languages seem to have

lmao

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Wasnt French the dominant international language until 1900 or so

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Wasnt French the dominant international language until 1900 or so

def, in russia

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Should call it the lingua angla.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 19, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I heard a story from a guy meeting Iranians in Europe, excitedly taking the opportunity to practice his Farsi with them.

“…did you learn in Afghanistan?”, one of them asked.

It was apparently a serious faux pas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ras Het posted:

Danish is definitely the French of the Germanic languages. Swedish and Norwegian are Spanish and Portuguese. English is Romanian, the weird joke no one wants to deal with

He wrote in English.