Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Carthag Tuek posted:

i mean actively, continuously. more than half of those are pre-1700s when yall actually did do it fr

Fair enough, i wasn't aware it was a thing that died down for a while. As was said, all the computer and internet compound nouns recently make it seem like it never stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Why the gently caress are foot and root pronounced differently

bough, cough, dough, rough

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

drk posted:

:getout:

mostly cuz I am unsure if this is noun-combine or no-un-combine

soy no un combine.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

English just likes to let words do a trial run as a hyphenated phrase for several years before committing to a real compound word.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Spoken English does lots of compounding, e.g. 'girl scout cookie', orthographically there's just a preference to write new compounds as noun phrases (separated by spaces) and only after time and wide acceptance do noun phrases get promoted to actual compound words.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Eiba posted:

Yeah, the spelling is hosed. I'd be down for updating English spellings to be more phonetic.

You're not the first to propose spelling standardization for English.

My favorite (tongue-in-cheek) example is Meihem in ce Klasrum by Dolton Edwards, 1946

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
if you want to commit to the germanic throwback, "nouncombine" is two latin roots. you want namemix

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Mister Olympus posted:

if you want to commit to the germanic throwback, "nouncombine" is two latin roots. you want namemix

"mix" is also latin. "blend" is germanic but not really the same meaning

e: perhaps "samle" (to collect/gather) could work, its cognate to english "same"

"navneordssamling" would normally be interpreted as "a collection of nouns" but can also mean "the act of putting together nouns"

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 20, 2024

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Family Values posted:

Spoken English does lots of compounding, e.g. 'girl scout cookie', orthographically there's just a preference to write new compounds as noun phrases (separated by spaces) and only after time and wide acceptance do noun phrases get promoted to actual compound words.

It's also interesting to see which words make the jump to full compound. Like backyard is there, but front yard is not.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Gully Foyle posted:

It's also interesting to see which words make the jump to full compound. Like backyard is there, but front yard is not.

frontyard (pronounced fruntyerd) is perfectly cromulent english, that's why it's a fun language. no rules

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Family Values posted:

It’s easier to read as a phrase with spaces. I have no idea how German speakers can look at boxofgirlscoutcookie and know where it begins or ends without reading it over twice

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It’s easier to read as a phrase with spaces. I have no idea how German speakers can look at boxofgirlscoutcookie and know where it begins or ends without reading it over twice

skill issue, i read that before i even saw it

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I often think about how much my spoken English, which has a heavy accent and contains all kinds of ridiculous localisms, bears utterly no resemblance whatsoever to my written English. I have to write all these words in all these ways that do not connect whatsoever with my actual spoken diction. It's almost, but not quite, code switching.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Uhofen thing bout hao mush muh spohgun Inglish, wish hazzuh heavy aksend und cundains ull kahndzuv reedikyolus localisms, burrs udderly noh resemblums whadsoyever do mai wridden Inglish. Ah huv do wride alldese wurds en all dese waze datdonut connuct whatsoever wit mai akshooul spoken dikshun. It's almos, bud nod kwite, coad swishin.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 20, 2024

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

There's an older gray haired European lady who works at a local store of mine. Her name is Rita. I was waiting in line and she was complaining to her coworkers about how no one around here can say her name right. Everyone turns 't' into 'd', it's our dialect. Listening to her, standing in line, I realized that I couldn't properly say "Rita" unless I really really really tried, and even then it feels wrong.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

e: perhaps "samle" (to collect/gather) could work, its cognate to english "same"

"navneordssamling" would normally be interpreted as "a collection of nouns" but can also mean "the act of putting together nouns"

german itself even too frenchified for other germanics

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

this is also something that comes with fluency in any language

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Uhofen thing bout hao mush muh spohgun Inglish, wish hazzuh heavy aksend und contains all kahndzuv reedikyolus localisms, burrs udderly noh resemblums whadsoever do mai wridden Inglish. I huv do wride alldese wurds en all dese waze datdonut connuct whatsoever wit mai akshooul spoken dikshun. It's almos, bud not kwite, coad swishin.

everbody codeswitches, the entire time of life, even if they only speak "one" language. its more obvious when theres multiple languages involved, but imo its the same thing. youre speaking to family, friends, colleagues, you choose different words and inflect them differently. Right then, I used a "casual" code although it brought me great pain. I shall refrain from using a period at the end of this sentence, so you will know that I am not mad at you

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Carthag Tuek posted:

everbody codeswitches, the entire time of life, even if they only speak "one" language. its more obvious when theres multiple languages involved, but imo its the same thing. youre speaking to family, friends, colleagues, you choose different words and inflect them differently. Right then, I used a "casual" code although it brought me great pain. I shall refrain from using a period at the end of this sentence, so you will know that I am not mad at you

I used proper punctuation in my "wrong English" post

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I used proper punctuation in my "wrong English" post

exactly

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

drk posted:

I've always been interested as to why English is one of the most commonly spoken second languages.

Is it just that the US (and to a lesser extent the UK/Canada/Australia) are wealthy nations so business is often conducted in English?

edit: heres a reference from wikipedia. the top langauges are unsurprising, but the breakdown between 1st/2nd languages is interesting

were you born yesterday or something

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Carthag Tuek posted:

exactly, its the opposite in thre rest of the germanic languages. you can split the words, but it would be wrong. theyre one word made of many parts.

anyway english is making inroads in this case as well so i suppose at some point we'll be fine with same idk food walker field in three words like idiots
Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of people who appear to insist on splitting up existing words for no reason except possibly because that's how it's done in English. I'm constantly occasionally reminding them that, if in doubt, just mash them together.

Carthag Tuek posted:

Nounbinding?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of people who appear to insist on splitting up existing words for no reason except possibly because that's how it's done in English. I'm constantly occasionally reminding them that, if in doubt, just mash them together.

Nounbinding?

binding is good, thats precise

hear ye hear ye anglofuckers, from now you say "bind" instead of "mix" and whatever else. it is your word, keep it, and use it, fuckers.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It wouldn’t be boxofgirlscoutcookies.

It would be girlscoutcookiebox. Which is very readable. :colbert:

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

binding is good, thats precise

hear ye hear ye anglofuckers, from now you say "bind" instead of "mix" and whatever else. it is your word, keep it, and use it, fuckers.

not until the germans give up mischen

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Here's a text about quantum physics in pure Germanic English

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i'm noticing a lot of native english speakers starting to germanically capitalize some or many Nouns in the Sentences they write

the englishers yearn to return to their linguistic roots

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Mister Olympus posted:

not until the germans give up mischen

im sure they can do that. germans dont mix a lot

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

redleader posted:

i'm noticing a lot of native english speakers starting to germanically capitalize some or many Nouns in the Sentences they write

That can also be an indicator of schizophrenia.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Lemniscate Blue posted:

That can also be an indicator of schizophrenia.

Interesting. Please elaborate on that.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

redleader posted:

I’ve had a habit of doing this accidentally ever since I did German in school.

I always assumed it was just because I’d picked up the habit from my German lessons, but maybe I have schizophrenia apparently? But the voices tell me it’s definitely not the second one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
How are there three pages arguing about linguistics without a single map?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

'preciate it

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 20, 2024

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Air Skwirl posted:

Flat Earthers are of course completely incapable of critical thinking, but "Why is there no flight from the Falklands to Tasmania?!" seems so mind blowingly dumb since you can get a flight from Chile direct to Australia. I wonder how anyone who is not flat earthing as a grift can try to figure out how that flight works on the NATO "flat earth" map.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Air Skwirl posted:

Language is the map projection of communication.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I gets instinctive with practice. The trick is knowing that there is no non-compound word that starts with boxo.
There are words that are more confusing because they lack that. And a style of pun where you pronounce them as if they had the possible separations in the wrong positions.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

I think one of the biggest problems is that you often see the really weird long stuff, which is not used too much any more. Except for government work obviously, Beamte love that poo poo.

"Donaudampfschifffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft" yeah sure.
but don't forget, the English translation of this is also absolute garbage:
"Danube steam shipping electric powers main factory building sub clerk's society" yeeeaaah, no.

But if you only add 2-4 words, it's not hard "Donaudampfschiff" Danube steamship (steam ship?)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Desktop, Mainframe, Clockwork, Doorway, Highway, Roadside, Carpark, Bookshelf, Brakepad, Smokescreen, Haircut, Firefly, Sweatshirt, Airport, Seawall...

Obtuse, rubber goose, green moose, guava juice
Giant snake, birthday cake, large fries, chocolate shake!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Mittelfristenergieversorgungssicherungsmaßnahmenverordnung.

I guess using law names is cheating. Colloquially it's just called EnSimiMaV.

e:

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 20, 2024

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Antigravitas posted:

Mittelfristenergieversorgungssicherungsmaßnahmenverordnung.

I guess using law names is cheating. Colloquially it's just called EnSimiMaV.

e:

A word too long for the germans... never thought I'd see the day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The armed forces do that a lot too, producing contractions that verge on Polish, PzKfW, SdKfz, PzMrs, GepKrKw, etc.

Be thankful if they're at least pronouncable.