Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Behördendeutsch is its own language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

redleader posted:

i'm noticing a lot of native english speakers starting to germanically capitalize some or many Nouns in the Sentences they write

the englishers yearn to return to their linguistic roots

I notice this too. Older generations seem more inclined to it.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Count Roland posted:

I notice this too. Older generations seem more inclined to it.

Early Modern English did this on the regular.

Eiba posted:

The more I learn about other languages, the happier I am with English. No complicated endings, no grammatical gender. It's got two different branches of Indo-European as a basis for its vocabulary, and it absorbs words easily, so it has a ton of synonyms for nuance. If it's a creole, or was just grammatically simplified by Norse invaders- good. gently caress complicated grammar.

The spelling could be more standardized, but the language itself seems fine. No really obnoxious quirks like most languages seem to have.

I feel like learning about the established status quo is usually frustrating as things are often arbitrary inefficient and unjust, but honestly English seems like a decent language to arbitrarily be the world's lingua franca.

From two pages back, but in addition to what others have said, it is true that if you're learning English, you can already do a lot if you know 100 words and some basic grammar in ways that don't work in most other languages. However, the fine intricacies of English grammar are very difficult to learn. I'll give you three examples:

- "John didn't come in today. He's sick". If you want to make that sence more unsure, you can use "must be", "will be", "could be", "may be" and "might be" in descending order of certainty, but to someone whose L1 expresses certainty in a totally different way, this is really difficult to learn. Especially because English modal verbs often do double duty, e.g. "could" is also the past tense of "can", and "will" even does triple duty as both the auxiliary for future tense as well as a verb that expresses mental power.
- English is full of idiomatic pairings of words. E.g. you can say someone is "strong" or has "a powerful build" but saying someone has a "a strong build" sounds off to L1 or advance L2 speakers and they can't explain to you why. Conversely, you can say a computer is "powerful" but you can't say a computer is "strong" unless you're referring to it being physically reinforced somehow, even though "strong" and "powerful" are for the most part synonymous.
- Adverbial word order is very intricate. E.g. adverbial phrases that relate to time can go pretty much anywhere (front/end/mid in order of usual preference) but adverbial phrases that relate to duration always go at the end.

e: Also, those L2 posters who said they learnt or were taught RP, unless you're over 35 that is likely not the case and what you call RP is likely NRP (non-regional pronunciation, something pretty close to Estuary English or Greater London English). These days not even the junior members of the British royal family speak RP because it sounds incredibly dated. For all intents and purposes, RP died somewhere in the '90s.

Pope Hilarius II fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 20, 2024

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I've been having a lot of fun with a world creator tool here, if people are interested: https://demiansky.itch.io/songs-of-the-eons

It tries to make geologically sound setups, simulates climates and erosion and vegetation etc etc. I'm not nearly versed enough in geology to know if it has some gaping holes but other than the offensively generic fantasy glazing around the whole project, it's by far the most comprehensive tool of this sort I've ever seen. Made by one of the MEIOU devs for EU4 if people here are familiar, and is about what you'd expect considering that.
Apparently they were planning on turning it into a whole procedurally generated fantasy world game sort of thing which has been shelved, but the world generation part of it seems basically feature complete.

taters
Jun 13, 2005

I would have had run out of apples by now if I would not have had found more apples having had looked for them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Linguistically loaded because the apples in China are not sinaasappelen.

e: and this post was supposed to be an edit

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Linguistically loaded because the apples in China are not sinaasappelen.

they're Sinoapples

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I've actually been vaguely tying to look into the history of apples in east asia. They're a big part of some traditional ceremonies in Korea but from what I've been able to tell, that only really started around the turn of the 20th century. Before then apples seem to have not been much of a thing west of the Tarim Basin.

If anyone knows better though, do tell.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Many languages, present and historical, write entire texts without spaces. If the greeks could understand ΜΟΥΣΑΩΝΕΛΙΚΩΝΙΑΔΩΝΑΡΧΩΜΕΘΑΕΙΔΕΙΝΑΙΘΕΛΙΚΩΝΟΣΕΧΟΥΣΙΝΟΡΟΣΜΕΓΑΤΕΖΑΘΕΟΝΤΕΚΑΙΠΕΡΙΚΡΗΝΗΙΟΕΙΔΕΑΠΟΣΣΑΠΑΛΟΙΣΙΝΟΡΧΕΥΝΤΑΙΚΑΙΒΩΜΟΝΕΡΙΣΘΕΝΕΟΣΚΡΟΝΙΩΝΟΣ,
I'm sure the germans have no problem with 20 letter words.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Koramei posted:

I've been having a lot of fun with a world creator tool here, if people are interested: https://demiansky.itch.io/songs-of-the-eons

It tries to make geologically sound setups, simulates climates and erosion and vegetation etc etc. I'm not nearly versed enough in geology to know if it has some gaping holes but other than the offensively generic fantasy glazing around the whole project, it's by far the most comprehensive tool of this sort I've ever seen. Made by one of the MEIOU devs for EU4 if people here are familiar, and is about what you'd expect considering that.
Apparently they were planning on turning it into a whole procedurally generated fantasy world game sort of thing which has been shelved, but the world generation part of it seems basically feature complete.

Quoting this so I can find it later

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Pope Hilarius II posted:

"could be", "may be" and "might be" in descending order of certainty,

- English is full of idiomatic pairings of words. E.g. you can say someone is "strong" or has "a powerful build" but saying someone has a "a strong build" sounds off to L1 or advance L2 speakers and they can't explain to you why. Conversely, you can say a computer is "powerful" but you can't say a computer is "strong" unless you're referring to it being physically reinforced somehow, even though "strong" and "powerful" are for the most part synonymous.

Could be, may be, and might be are all equally probable - at least to me as a native American English speaker (as opposed to a Native American English speaker, as my spellcheck tried to autoincorrect).

The other one is interest though, totally agree there. "That old bridge sure was a strong build!" is fine while "That old bridge sure had a powerful build!" makes no sense… and vice versa if you switch "old bridge" with “Arnold Schwarzenegger in the 80s". Absolutely could not explain why they’re different. (Edit: VvvV yeah that’s a good and simple explanation, I might just suck at thinking of explanations.)

But also every language and dialect and probably even accent has super subtle intricacies that are almost impossible to explain, so I’m not sure that it is easy to say whether it is harder to have idiomatically perfect English than it is to have say, idiomatically perfect Japanese. I do know that idiomatically perfect standard high German is a nightmare though, and no one in Switzerland has it. My wife was often pissed that she was passed over for public writing facing jobs for German Germans, since she is a native Swiss German speaker, but in retrospect she’s like "yeah actually my German grammar blows"

Saladman fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 20, 2024

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Saladman posted:

The other one is interest though, totally agree there. "That old bridge sure was a strong build!" is fine while "Thay old bridge had a powerful build!" makes no sense… and vice versa if you switch "old bridge" with “Arnold Schwarzenegger in the 80s". Absolutely could not explain why they’re different.
A bridge shouldn't be doing work, so it makes sense not to call it powerful.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

what

I was into this as an alternate history thing, but what are the great lakes doing there

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gaddafi’s spirit lives.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I was into this as an alternate history thing, but what are the great lakes doing there
I guess an alternate geography thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Adding lakes seems like it would improve most places tbh, what you got against lakes?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

redleader posted:

i'm noticing a lot of native english speakers starting to germanically capitalize some or many Nouns in the Sentences they write

Yeah that’s how you recognize AI’s hand.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I recognize AI's hand by the polydactyly.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

OwlFancier posted:

I recognize AI's hand by the polydactyly.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Albino Squirrel posted:

Most countries that were colonized and largely populated by the English either have a purpose-built (DC, Canberra) or purposefully-selected (Ottawa, Wellington) capital at a distance from the main centres of commerce and population. I wonder if that's a reaction to having everything concentrated in London back home?

I think it’s an attempt at solution to rival states in a federation problem

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It is politically-loaded because the historic orange/white/blue flag was "claimed" by the Dutch nazi party during WW2 and it is nowadays still only used by far-right chuds who would like to bring back colonialism and slavery.

Seeing this on a modern joke map means it was either made by someone who is incredibly oblivious to what makes an appropriate joke, or by a nazi chud.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Carbon dioxide posted:

It is politically-loaded because the historic orange/white/blue flag was "claimed" by the Dutch nazi party during WW2 and it is nowadays still only used by far-right chuds who would like to bring back colonialism and slavery.

which is annoying, because it's a more distinctive tricolour than the current flag.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

which is annoying, because it's a more distinctive tricolour than the current flag.

The red, white and blue is very distinctive, everyone loves it!

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

redleader posted:

I used to work with a couple of folk who did that. They thought it was how you emphasise Important Words in a text. I got them to stop it.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I (and have seen others) occasionally capitalize something jokingly, to essentially imply that it's a proper noun in a particular context, a term of art. ("We all know George is the official Sandwich Enjoyer here.")

But then I've also seen people seemingly seriously capitalize things just to emphasize them, like you say, or even apparently at random. Which has basically the same connotations to me as when people use apostrophe-s to pluralize something.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Apr 21, 2024

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Carbon dioxide posted:

Seeing this on a modern joke map means it was either made by someone who is incredibly oblivious to what makes an appropriate joke, or by a nazi chud.
Or by someone who reasonably assumed that Dutch Australia would go the South Africa route but with less internal and international condemnation.

The date of independence seems to imply that it's a splinter or exile group of Dutch Nazis too.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

While I have the same knee jerk reaction as all y'all, if I step back a bit, capitalization for emphasis actually makes a lot of sense. It's a simple way to do the written equivalent of extra stress in speech.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
But people never emphasize the right things. It's always like "I was on my way to buy Donuts in my car and a truck rear ended me because the driver was on his Phone"

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

steinrokkan posted:

But people never emphasize the right things. It's always like "I was on my way to buy Donuts in my car and a truck rear ended me because the driver was on his Phone"

In this example the capitalized nouns have something in common which is that they're all reasons for the events and actions of the story. While weird to have that be the thing it is the beginning seed of a grammatical rule.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

In this example the capitalized nouns have something in common which is that they're all reasons for the events and actions of the story. While weird to have that be the thing it is the beginning seed of a grammatical rule.

I think I would say that the Driver was the reason for the events of the story, really.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nieuw Flanders, you say? Nice, nice. Absolut world for sure. Looks like some prime real estate.

[a brief visit to Wikipedia later]

That area of Australia has a population of 5 people. What the hell. We didn't even get any magically transported lakes

e: bamboozled by the Dutch once again

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 21, 2024

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Australia with large inland lakes would be a radical change to the continent, to the point that it would be unrecognisable

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's why they had to hide them underground.

Peter Falk
Sep 29, 2023
Which direction are the prevailing winds in Australia because whoever is downwind of the Rippin Lakes oval office Struth is going to have to buy a boat or a snowmobile.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

You already posted that up-thread. Is there some point you're trying to make?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Phlegmish posted:

Nieuw Flanders, you say? Nice, nice. Absolut world for sure. Looks like some prime real estate.

[a brief visit to Wikipedia later]

That area of Australia has a population of 5 people. What the hell. We didn't even get any magically transported lakes

e: bamboozled by the Dutch once again

It would essentially be a city state with enough completely empty hinterland to make it also the 7th biggest country in the world