Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Miracles do happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Phy posted:

Miracles do happen

Eucatastrophe, if you please.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
It sucks rear end that movies don’t use higher frame rates and I wish the hobbit movies hadn’t completely blown it on that front

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I do think that Faramir was the one meant to go on the quest, but Denethor wouldn't listen to him until the dream came to Boromir also so Denethor would okay the journey - just with the son he wanted to be a hero going instead of the one that was better suited to the task.

Was he though? If Faramir goes on that quest the Fellowship never breaks up which possibly means that Aragorn tries to go to Mordor with Frodo/Sam. If that happens, Rohan loses the war to Saruman and then Gondor loses to Sauron without Rohan's reinforcements/the undead army.

Boromir accidentally made everything happen that needed to happen.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ginette Reno posted:

Eru did it.

Our choices are our own, but the outcome of those choices is God's domain.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Ginette Reno posted:

Even this himbo shall prove but mine instrument.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Excuse me, I should like to learn more of these instrumental himbos.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20vA9U7J2qQ

The fact that they were so honest in this behind the scenes video makes me wonder just how insane it actually was. Remember that these bonus features are still meant to be a promotional feature putting a good spin on things. If the positive take on the Hobbit production is that it was "chaotic", the reality must have been far worse.

Oh wow it's even worse than I remembered - three years of pre-production on LOTR, but only six months for the Hobbit.

Love that shot of PJ sitting there on set looking miserable by himself, and the camera just keeps zooming out and out and out and he's still on his own

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Zoran posted:

It sucks rear end that movies don’t use higher frame rates and I wish the hobbit movies hadn’t completely blown it on that front

Other directors are still experimenting with it and I can’t agree at all that it should become a regular thing. Ang Lee has done it multiple times now and it’s at best an intriguing situational technique. Why do you feel it “sucks rear end” for films to be 24fps?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
When movies do panning shots it usually blurs the heck out of whatever is on screen if it moves too fast. I am not learned in cinematography but I would figure it's related.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/09/entertainment/new-lord-of-rings-movie/index.html

quote:

The Oscar-winning team behind the nearly $6 billion blockbuster “Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit” trilogies is reuniting to produce two new films.

The first of the new projects from Sir Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens is tentatively titled “Lord of the Rings: The Hunt for Gollum,” Warner Bros. Discovery announced Thursday. It will be directed by and star “LOTR” alum Andy Serkis. Walsh and Boyens have been tapped to write the screenplay, along with Phoebe Gittins and Arty Papageorgiou.

“Yesssss, Precious,” Serkis, who voiced the “LOTR” character Gollum, said in a statement. “The time has come once more to venture into the unknown with my dear friends, the extraordinary and incomparable guardians of Middle Earth Peter, Fran and Philippa.”

“It is an honour and a privilege to travel back to Middle-earth with our good friend and collaborator, Andy Serkis, who has unfinished business with that Stinker - Gollum!” Jackson, Walsh and Boyens said in a joint statement. “As life long fans of Professor Tolkien’s vast mythology, we are proud to be working with Mike De Luca, Pam Abdy and the entire team at Warner Bros. on another epic adventure!”

The films will be released for Warner Bros. Pictures and New Line Cinema. Warner Bros. is owned by CNN’s parent company.

Jackson made history with “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy, becoming the first person to direct three major feature films simultaneously.

“The Fellowship of the Ring,” “The Two Towers” and “The Return of the King” were nominated for multiple awards including Oscars, Golden Globes and BAFTAs, with the third film clinching 11 Academy Awards including best picture in 2004.

Serkis served as 2nd Unit director on Jackson’s “The Hobbit trilogy” and directed the 2021 film “Venom: Let There Be Carnage.”

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Serkis always turned out a good performance as an actor and he seems to have genuine investment. As much of a cash grab this seems like, Im willing to keep an open mind.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Excited to see who will play Aragorn and Gandalf

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well Fair or Fae, here it is

https://twitter.com/TheRingsofPower/status/1790374328649048517

Who's Worm Guy

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Presumably Annatar/Sauron. IIRC part of why this has taken so long is between covid and the poor reception to season 1, at least an attempt has been made to either retcon or change direction on some of the major plot points. I have 0 hope for it, but i'll still keep watching that garbage.

i will only see the gollum movie by pirating it lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You know I'm tired of magic in TV and film either being a laser light show or, in this case, people flicking their hands around like they're using The Force. There are other ways to express power and I've always felt that the impression of Sauron and his servants was better left up to character reactions.

I don't really like the extended scene where The Witch King breaks Gandalf's staff (wtf?) but I always liked the way that it framed him as this terrifying thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJjB3t8bhkQ

It's hard to hear in the youtube clips but as he speaks the Nazgul howl layers over his words and Pippin screams as it burrows into his ears. The fell beast fills the whole screen and it's roar stops Pippin dead in his tracks with fear.

An evil looking dude flicking his fingers or shooting fireballs isn't really scary or powerful to me. It's like the fantasy equivalent of those overused holographic UIs from science fiction shows where it's a bunch of hand flicking going on and then some underpaid cgi artist adds in the sfx in post.

I want a Sauron or a Morgoth that just exudes darkness in his presence, like the sun itself dims when he walks and terror grips people's hearts. I want people like Butterbur, so kind and jovial, turned to ice as all light and hope fades and fear takes hold.

I want something, anything that can match the sheer dread of the line "And Morgoth came."

I don't know how you would translate that to a visual medium but drat if it wouldn't be a more creative endeavor than whatever Amazon is doing.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 14, 2024

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm nearly finished The Fall of Numenor book, I'm really enjoying the presentation of it as a chronological document. I'd just read the bigger story of Aldarion and Erendis in Unfinished Tales but reading it again in context made me enjoy it even more. Cool book!

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
Where I am we recently got a full eclipse. It’s not terrifying knowing what’s actually going on. But as a megadork I thought that might be what seeing a Nazgul is like. It goes from a sunny 1pm to looking like the dead of night in moments.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah same, even knowing what was going on, it still felt eerie bordering on scary. No wonder the people who lived before we knew wtf an eclipse was were so scared by them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh and here's some BTS stuff from season 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL02_uTRBKw

How made up is the fecklessness of youthful Isildur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Does this trailer confirm any of the supposed plot leaks from a few months ago such as Sauron disguising himself as Celeborn