Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AshB
Sep 16, 2007

Jesse James posted:

One Piece Thread 12: Sabo: Ace 2.0

That kind of unnecessarily hints at a big spoiler for anime-only viewers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Furious Lobster posted:

That's nuts, I had no idea it was that much ahead, though now I'm doing a double-take on how I consume manga :ohdear:.

I don't feel too bad about it considering I've bought One Piece three times over. :v:

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Sabo should get a tattoo that says SABO

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Furious Lobster posted:

That's nuts, I had no idea it was that much ahead, though now I'm doing a double-take on how I consume manga :ohdear:.

There was a funny incident a while back where some English-speaking dude tweeted Kubo Tite (the mangaka for Bleach) with something like "Oh wow *event* in this week's Bleach was so awesome!!!" and Kubo replied with "The issue of Jump where that happens doesn't hit shelves until next week. Stop reading scanlations." :v:

Gumbercules
Jan 12, 2004

These aren't my lamps. These have feet.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

God Usopp Lied for your Sins.

Perfect, and far more relevant than Lucy and Diamante. I don't think it's a spoiler, unless "Something happened with Usopp" is a spoiler.

AnonSpore posted:

There was a funny incident a while back where some English-speaking dude tweeted Kubo Tite (the mangaka for Bleach) with something like "Oh wow *event* in this week's Bleach was so awesome!!!"

This must have been a long while back. :smugdog:

Gumbercules fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 11, 2014

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Pirating this manga is the only way. :yarr:

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I need to take a break from this, it's driving me bananas and I need space :/

http://i.imgur.com/5Ls6QcW.jpg?1

White Light fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 12, 2014

Jesse James
Oct 11, 2009

IchiGO?

AshB posted:

That kind of unnecessarily hints at a big spoiler for anime-only viewers.

I was only half joking when I posted that, but thought exactly about what you said after I left for work and I would hate to spoil that for anyone that hasn't sen it yet. However when the anime catches up to that point, I'm throwing that hat into the ring.

Millions posted:

Sabo should get a tattoo that says SABO

I wouldn't be surprised if Oda has already done that.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jorenko posted:

Yes, and each issue gets leaked and scanlated the Wednesday before release, hence the 18th.

That's insane, how has it not been clamped down on yet? It surely can't be that difficult for them to pin down who is doing it every single week like clockwork?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That's insane, how has it not been clamped down on yet? It surely can't be that difficult for them to pin down who is doing it every single week like clockwork?

Every once and a while theres news that they caught some guy and the internet freaks out over having to wait a few days longer, but then someone else steps up and nothing changes.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
there are like a dozen people who post on 2ch with regularity on spoilers hours before the chapter comes out every week, so there's enough people with the ability to get hands on the magazine early that it doesnt matter. because sometimes it comes out earlier, im guessing they're like, shipping employees or something.

also, because it comes out in china at the same time (from what i can tell?), sometimes we get the chinese copies first. usually when you see an impressively bad translation, its because it was translated form japanese to chinese to english.

theres pretty much zero way to stop it because they have to send the magazine all across the entirety of japan which takes time (often more than a day), usually it gets there a day or two early on top of that so every store can sell it at the same time, leaving about a 4 day window in which pirates beat the legitimate sales to the punch.

the ONLY way to beat this is basically make it so people in the far corners of japan get the magazine a day later, or release it on the internet before the magazine comes out. this might actually increase piracy.

anyway, if you're going to read the manga as it comes out, i should at least recommend purchasing a subscription to viz's online version of shounen jump, which while it won't be as fast, contains higher quality translations by stephen who is exceptionally well versed in one piece and actually knows the source material hes translating, unlike the dudes who do it on mangapanda. it will also end up giving oda money.

http://shonenjump.viz.com/ if you want to support oda, this is the most legal way of doing it. it also helps create a market for manga being released digitally and legally. i have a subscription since im a Nice Guy and think Stephen deserves a Job.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 12, 2014

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Shonen Jump subscriptions are great, yeah.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

also, because it comes out in china at the same time (from what i can tell?), sometimes we get the chinese copies first. usually when you see an impressively bad translation, its because it was translated form japanese to chinese to english.

No, those are just Chinese scanlations; they get raws faster than English scanlators.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Silver2195 posted:

Shonen Jump subscriptions are great, yeah.

Am I getting it mixed up with something else, or were you only able to read purchased manga on a phone in some countries, like the UK & Ireland? Is that still a thing?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

tsob posted:

Am I getting it mixed up with something else, or were you only able to read purchased manga on a phone in some countries, like the UK & Ireland? Is that still a thing?

Phone or tablet. No browser version outside the US afaik

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Do what I do and subscribe but don't ever use it! That's how you can tell a true fan. :v:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Prison Warden posted:

Do what I do and subscribe but don't ever use it! That's how you can tell a true fan. :v:

Same. Mostly because the interface for reading is kind of terrible. They don't break it out into chapters or have a hyperlinked table of contents, so you have to go through page by page to find what you're looking for. I guess they really wanted to recreate the magic of reading Shonen Jump, but it's way less convenient than any scanlator site.

But I haven't actually tried to use it in like a year, so maybe they've fixed it? Still don't want to wait a week, though.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Prison Warden posted:

I was thinking about doing exactly that, how much is it?

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Holy poo poo haha. I had no idea the scanlations are leaks! I always thought the issues got released and some guy in japan buys and uploads it. Hell mangastream even announced once that their guy with the raws dropped them in the rain and we had to wait for a new one.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Sub Harrison posted:

Holy poo poo haha. I had no idea the scanlations are leaks! I always thought the issues got released and some guy in japan buys and uploads it. Hell mangastream even announced once that their guy with the raws dropped them in the rain and we had to wait for a new one.

I recall hearing about that, too, they were only able to salvage Naruto from that issue until they got a new one. I guess they were waiting on another leaked copy?

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Oh wow, so Stephen got a job from all of his fine work?

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

http://www.mangapanda.com/one-piece/750 750 is up.

Edit: and it's fantastic.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jun 18, 2014

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I got all psyched up seeing that Luffy/Doflamingo cover and expected poo poo Was Going to Go Down but what we got was still amazing as always. The most painful three week wait of my life.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Brandfarlig posted:

http://www.mangapanda.com/one-piece/750 750 is up.

Edit: and it's fantastic.

That splash color art... :allears:

[e]: loving Sabo, man... What a boss.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jun 18, 2014

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

http://readms.com/r/one_piece/750/2415/1 Mangastream version is up too.

Looks like we'll see Sabo in action sooner than expected.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Man, I wish Sengoku was still in charge. I'd love to see his reaction to Sabo's declaration.

God drat it Garp!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

New thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3644155

• Locked thread