Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am shocked UU is still escalating but like in a good way. It's nice how they're going full-on with the crazy threats and insane situations. (Also like, aside from a brief appearance Andy is somehow still completely out of action which is insane for a manga like this.) I was sure the NG+ run was heading right into the ending and it's clear we've got a bit to go still which is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

I am shocked UU is still escalating but like in a good way. It's nice how they're going full-on with the crazy threats and insane situations. (Also like, aside from a brief appearance Andy is somehow still completely out of action which is insane for a manga like this.) I was sure the NG+ run was heading right into the ending and it's clear we've got a bit to go still which is nice.

We are definitely in the endgame at least, but like every shonen final arc who knows how long that is.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I don't want it to end, but I'm getting the feeling like Blue Box could slide into a comfortable end game wrap up by this point and I'd be satisfied.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
hey check out how hard i can cry

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Mercury Hat posted:

I don't want it to end, but I'm getting the feeling like Blue Box could slide into a comfortable end game wrap up by this point and I'd be satisfied.

I think the natural end point for the series is Chinatsu's final tournament; I know the series has been primarily focused on Taiki's sports journey, but I think it'd be weird if we didn't spend some time focused on basketball at the end, since that's the entire reason for Chinatsu still being in Japan right now.

If anything, I feel like the current arc is as much about Chinatsu refocusing as it is about Taiki establishing himself in the badminton world

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't hate Andy or anything but it's clear by now that disappearing him for the last sixty-five chapters was the smartest decision the author could have made. Fuuko is a straight-up superior protagonist and there's a real sense of weight to his absence. I'm shocked Tozuka had the leeway to keep it going for this long, but it rules.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Electric Phantasm posted:

We are definitely in the endgame at least, but like every shonen final arc who knows how long that is.

Well there are still 9 more top ranking master rules to go, and also Sun.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

See, I feel like, despite the smaller physical scale, the stakes were higher earlier. People died then, all the time, the heroes lost sometimes, and the end of the world was a looming threat. Now, though, everyone's staying alive, Fuuko wins at everything, and the world already ended, so there's nothing tension building. And Andy being gone means that the core relationship for the series (right there in the title, even) isn't developing at all.

It's just stuff happening. There's no "real" stakes any more. (Compare Blue Box or Akane Banashi, as mentioned. A school sports tournament can feel more intense than the end of the world.)

But maybe that's just me.

Anyway, yeah. Blue Box has room to head for a last arc if it wants, although last arc lengths can be pretty variable. Still, there's also room for a decent amount of time with their year apart when Chi's starting college, if the author wants. Plenty of new potential complications there.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Undead Luck:

We are getting the rematch between Nico Vorgeil and Language. Last time, it happened off panel, but now we get to see if Nico can pull it off again.

Another point of interest is if there are vessels for the other Master Rules such as War, Language, and Time(?). Since they are master rules, supposedly the negation ability should be equally as strong.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arist posted:

I don't hate Andy or anything but it's clear by now that disappearing him for the last sixty-five chapters was the smartest decision the author could have made. Fuuko is a straight-up superior protagonist and there's a real sense of weight to his absence. I'm shocked Tozuka had the leeway to keep it going for this long, but it rules.

Fuuko certainly is shooting holes in the whole "there aren't any good shonen battle series with female protagonists" theory.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Fuuko kicks rear end and I want her lucky red cap.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Fuuko certainly is shooting holes in the whole "there aren't any good shonen battle series with female protagonists" theory.

Who was arguing for this "theory" in the first place? Do they not like any out of Stone Ocean, Claymore, and Soul Eater, or are they just not aware of their existence?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Who was arguing for this "theory" in the first place? Do they not like any out of Stone Ocean, Claymore, and Soul Eater, or are they just not aware of their existence?

Don't forget The Promised Neverland.

I don't think many people have argued for it recently, but arguing against it as if you're a martyr in the wilderness (except everyone claps and agrees with you) is much more satisfying than just going "Oh, kinda neat how many female leads there are in Jump lately."

(Current count: Fuuko, Akane, Ippongi, Ruri)

Of course, Undead Unluck is a bit of a rough pick if you're arguing for success instead of just you liking it. Although it peaked past 50K, it's currently hovering around 30, well below volume 1 of Kagurabachi. (Near 40K). And that's with an anime boost. It's not a huge hit. It's another series in the same territory as Yozakura, a series reliably getting okay sales when the magazine has been having trouble getting new series to catch on.

Worse, Yozakura at least has one last shot at a boost with an anime, which sometimes lifts a series from okay sales to amazing, and often at least lets a series set a new record for first week sales. Undead Unluck barely got a boost at all, and the Fuuko lead chapters have seen a pretty significant drop overall. (To be fair, the time she was gone and it was all Andy did much worse as well. Seems that the series titled Undead Unluck sold better with, well, Undead and Unluck, not just one.)

Of course, all this is academic, since the current smash hit is Frieren, a weekly(ish) Shonen series with (in the anime) killer fights usually focusing on the titular female lead. But again, people online prefer to feel like they're fighting an entrenched enemy, not just going with the crowd.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

don’t forget roboco and suzuki :coffeepal:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Arist posted:

I said it before but it owns that the author literally had UMA Warp go “Undead is too broken, he fucks up the meta, and it’s way more interesting to see people who only have one life to live fight”, because yeah, Andy when he stops being a creep is a likable protagonist, but having a guy that can survive the heat death of the universe kinda fucks up the meta.

Dawgstar posted:

Fuuko is a terrible shonen protagonist though?

because Undead Unluck is a shojo manga, Fuuko is a top tier shojo protagonist though.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

yeah and my love story is a shonen manga because takeo is the main character. read well.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

It's simple, really.

Levi Ackerman is a shoujo protagonist, while Mikasa Ackerman is a shonen protagonist.

Remember that, and it should be easy to keep track of things from there on out.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

chiasaur11 posted:

Don't forget The Promised Neverland.

I don't think many people have argued for it recently, but arguing against it as if you're a martyr in the wilderness (except everyone claps and agrees with you) is much more satisfying than just going "Oh, kinda neat how many female leads there are in Jump lately."

(Current count: Fuuko, Akane, Ippongi, Ruri)

It's kinda weird to go from this point to pulling out sales numbers when nobody was talking about that, not gonna lie.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Speaking of Akane-banashi, this week was a pretty nice come-down from the rakugoverse. I like every time they drop somebody's new style in, especially the people who specialize in non-comedic rakugo.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

panko posted:

yeah and my love story is a shonen manga because takeo is the main character. read well.

I don’t really think girl protag = shojo manga, I was just making a silly joke about Fuuko’s favorite shojo manga being the blueprint for like 30% of the series.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I forgot about the anno un connection. it might be relevant again pretty soon given that the crew just lost the ability to communicate with each other, but the manuscript written with the magic pen was unaffected by language’s defeat in the last loop. my bad for not clocking the joke. after all, it was a lifetime ago…

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/shinhoroko/status/1769412349771854163

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Psychic Cop kinda rules now. I was unsure the first few issues but I guess with this kind of comedy where a pack of idiots bounce off each other at high speed, the author needed a few installments to gather their idiots before they could really show what they can do.

Anemone is maybe good? Not sure if this chapter is needed structure or making things more generic yet.

Astrobaby remains loving killer. Strongest out of the gate showing since Akanebanashi or even Ayashimon (which died sure but I still reckon it had an all timer hook of an opening chapter for a fight mans series).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

If only it were real

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Make the Exorcist Fall in Love: Lmao at the absolute rollercoaster of tensions rising and then being immediately deflated by Belphegor being a dumbass only to repeat the same process on the next page for the whole chapter. And the final page just absolutely killing it by revealing that witches went to same bowling alley for some reason.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Make the Exorcist Fall in Love: Lmao at the absolute rollercoaster of tensions rising and then being immediately deflated by Belphegor being a dumbass only to repeat the same process on the next page for the whole chapter. And the final page just absolutely killing it by revealing that witches went to same bowling alley for some reason.

lol honestly this is the most normal this manga's been in months

Goze Hitomi: Well, this is an interesting premise. Feels like this wouldn't have happened without Akane-banashi existing

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Anyone still keeping up with Shibatarian? I love it, comments were like “oh it’s going to end” and the author just showed how they were going to extend the premise and I am on board for it. It’s not the most amazing thing, but I’m always happy when I see its updated.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm still following it, and I am pleasantly surprised that that was not the finale.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I would have been perfectly happy with Shabatarian being a short and sweet horror manga, but I'm also really interested to see where they're going with this.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Shibatarian is doing a pretty good "horror movie setting up for the sequel" moment.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I like Shibatarian, it's a good combination of wacky and bizarre with an occasional solid horror moment and I love that instead of ending, it just became even more bizarre. Shibatas planning to take over Japan by becoming free, disposable servants/workers/slaves was certainly a twist :v:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

First chapter of the new series Ghost Fixers is a pretty fun read. Let's hope it lasts.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/thermocentric/status/1771184958825971914

lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
That unironically feels more sincere than most of the "RIP" comments.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-U6NyaJuDA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8kdev62-L4

I need the loving OST to this.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 24, 2024

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fabricated posted:

That unironically feels more sincere than most of the "RIP" comments.

Yeah, it's a specific memory of how someone's works touched your life, not just a generic statement of sadness. Not that I blame anyone for those, either. Hard to process how you feel at a loss on a schedule.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbh I kinda feel like it’d be hard to articulate period, like most of them have legitimately been influenced by Dragonball at the least growing up, if not Dr Slump too, on top of getting versions of Dragon Quest that didn’t scrub his artwork off the box.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Sakamoto is always cooking. Shishibe is awesome and this fight had a perfect conclusion.

Kagurabachi: that panel with “I’m shocked!” Made me laugh.

Ruri: we talked a little about how good or bad Ruri actually is. Chapters like this remind me why I liked it. It’s somehow very relatable. I do wonder though where we’re going with this slice of life story.

Undead: finally insight into the biggest solo from last loop. He just needed coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Two On Ice :stare: