Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Darth TNT posted:

Sakamoto is always cooking. Shishibe is awesome and this fight had a perfect conclusion.

I love that they lost because their fighting styles are incompatible with each other I don't see that happen often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lol the new roboco is a miyazaki parody

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

I love that they lost because their fighting styles are incompatible with each other I don't see that happen often.

Can’t help but wonder how many people saw it coming ahead of time, I don’t know poo poo about magnets but if you knew/remembered the Curie Point you were probably just waiting for Carolina Reaper to gently caress everything up.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Alacron posted:

Two On Ice :stare:

What happened?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
My s rank party fired me for being a cursificer is pretty fun imo

https://mangadex.org/title/23a70b08...nou-wa-artifact

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Catching up on Roboco and the Shogi chapter is so good

Also I think I'm starting to get what they're doing with the chapters about Roboco making manga.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

doomrider7 posted:

What happened?

We're getting the antagonist's backstory and it seems like he got molested when he was a kid

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Catching up on Roboco and the Shogi chapter is so good

Also I think I'm starting to get what they're doing with the chapters about Roboco making manga.

Oh man, that chapter was so good. So utterly nonsensical.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Alacron posted:

We're getting the antagonist's backstory and it seems like he got molested when he was a kid

Yeah I checked out the reddit because it felt like I missed something. Yeah that's...I've not kept up with this AT ALL beyond the first chapter or two as well as postings from here and have no idea WTF is going on.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Alacron posted:

Two On Ice :stare:

The series has gone places these last few chapters

Blue Box: man what a good chapter. The series could have easily had Taiki lose here and let Haryu move on, but it's not afraid to show what losing looks like and that being it for characters. It sucks that Haryu's high school badminton run is over, but it happens unfortunately

Witch Watch: Awwww

Hope You're Happy Lemon: ...huh. Well. Not sure how to feel about this one

Tsuruku Returns the Favor: :geno:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Man. Dear Anemone does not seem to know what it's doing. Nice art, but the mystery of the island is already three quarters resolved, Anemone is already going to the straightforward sidekick role, and the manga hasn't bothered to build up a supporting cast despite by being six chapters in.

Funny when Chojo is actually getting some feet under it, with some fun gags. No way to know if either will survive through its first rounds of cancellations, but at least I can see how Chojo would look if it'll survive. Anemone, less so.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Man. Dear Anemone does not seem to know what it's doing. Nice art, but the mystery of the island is already three quarters resolved, Anemone is already going to the straightforward sidekick role, and the manga hasn't bothered to build up a supporting cast despite by being six chapters in.

Funny when Chojo is actually getting some feet under it, with some fun gags. No way to know if either will survive through its first rounds of cancellations, but at least I can see how Chojo would look if it'll survive. Anemone, less so.

Yeah, I agree about Dear Anemone. It feels like they're just trying to rush through the establishing plot as quickly as possible without any worry for the characters at the moment. Like, there's absolutely no reason to care about anyone so far; the MC's only useful as a body for Anemone to get around in, he and Anemone have barely any personality, and right now this rival character (who really feels like they should have been introduced later on) is just there to be tough and give some exposition.

I dunno what's going on behind the scenes, but it feels like the initial reaction to the series wasn't good and they're already trying to save it. I can't imagine Wild Strawberry being around is doing it any favors, either

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, I agree about Dear Anemone. It feels like they're just trying to rush through the establishing plot as quickly as possible without any worry for the characters at the moment. Like, there's absolutely no reason to care about anyone so far; the MC's only useful as a body for Anemone to get around in, he and Anemone have barely any personality, and right now this rival character (who really feels like they should have been introduced later on) is just there to be tough and give some exposition.

I dunno what's going on behind the scenes, but it feels like the initial reaction to the series wasn't good and they're already trying to save it. I can't imagine Wild Strawberry being around is doing it any favors, either

The sad thing is that right now, Wild Strawberry is much, much better...

And Wild Strawberry is terrible.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Certainly not a stellar addition to the Weird poo poo Happening On An Island genre of manga.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Shinji2015 posted:

Blue Box: man what a good chapter. The series could have easily had Taiki lose here and let Haryu move on, but it's not afraid to show what losing looks like and that being it for characters. It sucks that Haryu's high school badminton run is over, but it happens unfortunately

I am loving this series. The last few weeks, it's been my favorite thing to read. Watching this match, I couldn't tell you who I wanted to win because I felt the stakes for both of these characters.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The idea for Anemone may be 'oh, I'll explain the island and then they'll go around exploring different parts of it' since I assume they're not killing this antagonist in the first encounter when they seem fairly important. But the whole premise of the first chapter was 'this island's hosed up and mysterious', so being in this much of a hurry to explain why is bizarre.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

The sad thing is that right now, Wild Strawberry is much, much better...

And Wild Strawberry is terrible.

I still think Wild Strawberry had a really good 2-3 opening chapters, but then instantly lost my interest after that. Largely because it spent like 3 chapters on a incredibly pointless fight when “these people will immediately team up” was so obvious it was probably visible from space.

Darth TNT posted:

Ruri: we talked a little about how good or bad Ruri actually is. Chapters like this remind me why I liked it. It’s somehow very relatable. I do wonder though where we’re going with this slice of life story.

Something I find notable about Ruri, is that the mom... has personality.
Which sounds like a stupid comment but most series it seems like parents either fell off the planet somehow, or are the Harbingers Of NoFunAllowed, so having a parent character that’s a) present, b) fun, is an anomaly.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I hope they don't drag out Ruri meeting her dad too long, because while it probably takes a bit of time to process that your dad is an actual, literal dragon, I feel like after you've accepted that you have dragon powers the next thing you'd want to do is meet the guy and get some answers.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Roboco was gleefully unhinged this week. loving lmao at the last panel.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

A Sometimes Food posted:

Roboco was gleefully unhinged this week. loving lmao at the last panel.

Roboco saying it's a battle of the wits story made everything even funnier

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I hope they don't drag out Ruri meeting her dad too long, because while it probably takes a bit of time to process that your dad is an actual, literal dragon, I feel like after you've accepted that you have dragon powers the next thing you'd want to do is meet the guy and get some answers.

otoh I can sympathize with Ruri’s motivation to put it off, namely “gawd, I don’t wanna”

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1772278532225278444

in case no one saw it today, Ghost Reaper Girl is going on indefinite hiatus due to Saike's health. Not incredibly shocking and I won't miss it, but hopefully he can make a full recovery.

Kingtheninja posted:

I am loving this series. The last few weeks, it's been my favorite thing to read. Watching this match, I couldn't tell you who I wanted to win because I felt the stakes for both of these characters.

Yeah, I would have been fine either way; if anything I was probably rooting for Haryu just a little more just because Taiki has time and Haryu doesn't, but this works too.

Elite posted:

Which sounds like a stupid comment but most series it seems like parents either fell off the planet somehow, or are the Harbingers Of NoFunAllowed, so having a parent character that’s a) present, b) fun, is an anomaly.

Yeah, her mom's fantastic, and you can see why a dragon might find her interesting enough to fall for.

Oxxidation posted:

otoh I can sympathize with Ruri’s motivation to put it off, namely “gawd, I don’t wanna”

Ruri is me

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah but Ruri has that a lot. Even the sore muscles at the end while a comical note is recognizable. Her constant insecurities about everything, except no one cares.

Elite posted:

I still think Wild Strawberry had a really good 2-3 opening chapters, but then instantly lost my interest after that. Largely because it spent like 3 chapters on a incredibly pointless fight when “these people will immediately team up” was so obvious it was probably visible from space.

Yeah, the mom is great.

Shinji2015 posted:

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1772278532225278444

in case no one saw it today, Ghost Reaper Girl is going on indefinite hiatus due to Saike's health. Not incredibly shocking and I won't miss it, but hopefully he can make a full recovery.

That’s unfortunate even if I completely lost the plot at this point. I kinda enjoyed it.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Caught up on UU after the anime ended over a few days, absolutely loving the shift and Fuuko rules as a solo protag. Disagree that the current reset feels stakeless, it's been a fairly light-hearted reset going through healing everyone after the peak of Ragnarok but the underlying tension of "final loop perfect run attempt" where even just not protecting someone's smile means a loss still feels impactful.

E. Was also a brilliant way to fill in a lot of side characters that were barely relevant or underdeveloped, don't think I've wanted an arc/scene/character to just get on with it yet

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 26, 2024

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

That’s unfortunate even if I completely lost the plot at this point. I kinda enjoyed it.

Oh, it wasn't the worst thing in Jump, not by a long shot. But it was never a manga that I ever really thought about outside of when I was reading it

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
What was the worst manga that ever got published in Jump?

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
Earthchild is the first title to hand, but surely the depths offer darker horrors.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RatHat posted:

Hard to say personally without reading every title, but for a serialization on an objective level, it's hard to beat Chagecha, which got canned before the first volume released.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

RatHat posted:

It's called "U-19 Hell" for a reason.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There's decades of stuff you'd have to go through that was never localized to find some real stinkers.

Generally most of the cancellations of the last like 7-8 years of Jump where we've been getting everything in the magazine in English have been just forgettable/mediocre. Earthchild and Candy Flurry are the last two things where I genuinely was baffled they made it past editorial. Double Taisei was really bad but it was obvious it was some editor trying to make a shogi manga work since they had I think like 3 of those in rapid succession.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Mar 27, 2024

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think candy flurry could have made it if it wasn't for the dumb premise. the premise was so bad, that it seemed like the mangaka must have lost a bet. however, the characters and dialogue were very fun.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I only read the first chapter so I don't know if they ever fixed it but I remember I tell C having a pretty rancid premise of cops harassing suspects until they turn themselves in.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

RatHat posted:

Wouldn’t the first question then be to ask how do you define worst?

Is it art? Storyline? Characters? Premise? A blend?

Earthchild comes to mind with having terrible art, characters and storyline. The premise had promise though.

The just mentioned Candy Flurry had a baffling premise and a generic storyline but the characters and dialogue were pretty fun.

But then you have stuff like the last Saiyuki(?) Which was just wholly forgettable. Pretty standard setting, standard characters, nothing special. No one is going to miss it, no one is ever going to bring it up again. I would say that that at least allows it to rank as worst. Unlike Earthchild that had people tuning in just to see how terrible it was going to get.

Or what about that martial arts manga from not to long ago…Neru? I think.
That was pretty boring and bad because it was both generic and the art just seemed to give up causing everyone to fight in large white voids while everyone had the same face with weird wavy 80s mullet hair.
The first chapter was fun and had some fun ideas but everything after just forgot about what was fun.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Don't forget a terrible name! Who in god's name thought that Ice-Head Gill would make people want to read it?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fabricated posted:

There's decades of stuff you'd have to go through that was never localized to find some real stinkers.

Generally most of the cancellations of the last like 7-8 years of Jump where we've been getting everything in the magazine in English have been just forgettable/mediocre. Earthchild and Candy Flurry are the last two things where I genuinely was baffled they made it past editorial. Double Taisei was really bad but it was obvious it was some editor trying to make a shogi manga work since they had I think like 3 of those in rapid succession.

And then there's the cancelled stuff that was gone too soon. RIP MMA. :smith:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
But I liked The Last Saiyuki!

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Not canned or likely the worst, but Two on Ice isn't looking too good for a litany of reasons.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Don't forget a terrible name! Who in god's name thought that Ice-Head Gill would make people want to read it?

I remember the first leaks confusing people because of the protagonist's appearance and some assumed it was intended to be Ice-Head Girl which probably isn't that much better, but hey, at least it's not loving Gill

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

With his memorable catchphrase: "No one can beat me when it comes to axes"
And candy flurry would have been better if it concentrated more on character stuff rather than shonen battle plots.

Ghostwriter and EARTHCHILD are my votes for most baffling.
But as of yet I havent seen anything as trashy in premise, spirit and execution as U19. Theres a reason why the clubs named after it.

For Jump+ it would be vibration man.

Still funny.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
IDK if it's the worst, but Time Paradox Ghostwriter will always be my most hated because it had such an amazingly strong start and a premise with tons of potential then just flushed it all down the toilet. It's definitely not the lowest quality or most bland, but it's maybe the most disappointing manga I've ever read in jump.