Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Sakamoto Days: did our boy power up? They grow up so fast

Akane-banashi: legit teared up at her dad being the one to rein her in. Such a great moment

The God Before Me: continues to be great. Plus, do we have a non-binary character here?

Super Psychic Policeman Chojo: I... might fully be on board now?

Two On Ice: just had a timeskip, the end might be near

Green Green Greens: okay, I hope this is doing well, because I don't need to be disappointed in a few months at another cancelation

ANKOKU Delta: Hmm. Lot more nudity than I was expecting on Plus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Shinji2015 posted:

Green Green Greens: okay, I hope this is doing well, because I don't need to be disappointed in a few months at another cancelation

Same, this is probably my favorite of the new stuff since I began trying everything fresh in December. Policeman Chojo is rocketing up there fast though.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I thought they might be going to see her dad in Ruri Dragon. He had an incredible design in the one shot and I’m interested in seeing it again.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shinji2015 posted:

First volume isn't out, so it's hard to say anything for certain, but the placement hasn't been the most encouraging. Still, getting a color page isn't a bad sign, and there's three likely dead titles walking to face the axe before it. Should get at least a bit of time, especially if Anemone and Policeman fail, but the rest is still up in the air.

(Mamayuyu's sales are sometimes in the survivable range, but the plot seems to be wrapping up fast, while Two on Ice and Shadow Eliminators can't sell at all from the data I've been able to track down. Meanwhile, Kagurabachi is actually getting numbers for a small but real success story.).

As for the actual comics this week, I agree that Greens was really strong this week. Good moment of character growth, exciting payoff. Meanwhile, Anemone is going harder and harder into stock fightman manga, which validates my early suspicions. We don't have a reason to give a crap about anyone, either, Shadow Eliminators continues to be dull and looks like it's doomed, Blue Box, Sakamoto, Akane, and Ruri were great as usual, and Roboco... well, did anyone else feel like Roboco ran the wrong week's chapter?

Last chapter ended with Gorilla and Roboco exploding. This week started with Matsuri and Gorilla's friendship on the rocks. Normally, Roboco has some continuity, so you'd expect a quick "I'm glad Gorilla Gachi is immune to explosions!" at the start of the chapter or something, and some setup gags for the friendship being in trouble. Not getting either makes me feel like we skipped a week or two.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The thing that really keeps Akane-banashi going for me is that it's obvious she's putting a lot of pressure on herself, but from a career standpoint she's got so much more time ahead of her. It doesn't take away from wanting her to succeed on her own terms, but I wouldn't fault the story whether she did or didn't get the recommendation she was after.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Glazius posted:

The thing that really keeps Akane-banashi going for me is that it's obvious she's putting a lot of pressure on herself, but from a career standpoint she's got so much more time ahead of her. It doesn't take away from wanting her to succeed on her own terms, but I wouldn't fault the story whether she did or didn't get the recommendation she was after.

It's a strong point of the series in that it allows actual tension for things, yeah. When every fight is for all the marbles, the heroes have to win, or else the series will be over.

(To quote Clickhole on Succession: "He was the only one who understood that Kendall is always acting like he’s going to kill himself, though crucially never killing himself, because then he couldn’t be on the show anymore, because then he’d be dead.")

Akane, meanwhile, can lose, and lose hard, and the series moves on without missing a beat. (It's actually another shared beat with Blue Box. Chinatsu lost the Big Game, and the story moved on, so we don't know how Taiki's Big Game will go when it's ramping up.)

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

chiasaur11 posted:

It's a strong point of the series in that it allows actual tension for things, yeah. When every fight is for all the marbles, the heroes have to win, or else the series will be over.

Yeah, some series benefit a lot from keeping the stakes low, otherwise you wind up with something like Food Wars.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

akane’s dad sneezing to center her parallels her sneezing to focus him in chapter 1 :unsmith:

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

panko posted:

akane’s dad sneezing to center her parallels her sneezing to focus him in chapter 1 :unsmith:

:aaaaa: I completely forgot about that!

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Glazius posted:

chiasaur11 posted:

(To quote Clickhole on Succession: "He was the only one who understood that Kendall is always acting like he’s going to kill himself, though crucially never killing himself, because then he couldn’t be on the show anymore, because then he’d be dead.")

Akane, meanwhile, can lose, and lose hard, and the series moves on without missing a beat. (It's actually another shared beat with Blue Box. Chinatsu lost the Big Game, and the story moved on, so we don't know how Taiki's Big Game will go when it's ramping up.)

I very much agree with both points and I have mentioned my criticism in the past that ot wouldn't be a bad thing for the series to slow down and flesh out some of the non-rakugo characters like Akane's home room teacher and her friends or give her lower stakes acting jobs in between her bigger ones.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

chiasaur11 posted:

(It's actually another shared beat with Blue Box. Chinatsu lost the Big Game, and the story moved on, so we don't know how Taiki's Big Game will go when it's ramping up.)

On the topic of Blue Box, God I'm enjoying it so much and it's probably in my Top 3 of stories currently in the weekly Jump release. I never expected to be as interested in it I am, it's really great.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

On the topic of Blue Box, God I'm enjoying it so much and it's probably in my Top 3 of stories currently in the weekly Jump release. I never expected to be as interested in it I am, it's really great.

I'll call it an all-timer if Chinatsu doesn't give up sports for some reason in the end.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I'll call it an all-timer if Chinatsu doesn't give up sports for some reason in the end.

Has she even talked about what she wants to do after high school?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fairy Tail 100 Years Quest is getting an anime adaptation this summer

https://youtube.com/watch?v=h0znYkbL-V4

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 12, 2024

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They updated the SJ app so now it lists the series that are web only and tells you when they've updated but you still can't read them in app.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Set it and forget it is incredibly dumb and I kinda like it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I remember when Kindergarten Wars was a gag manga.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
tbf the gag was murder.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Undead Unluck: Since Soul mentioned he has a vessel, there is someone with Unsoul, though that negation ability sounds like almost instant death. Also now that Uma Beast is dead, does that mean all beasts disappear, or can they finally have animal companions?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Flair posted:

Undead Unluck: Since Soul mentioned he has a vessel, there is someone with Unsoul, though that negation ability sounds like almost instant death. Also now that Uma Beast is dead, does that mean all beasts disappear, or can they finally have animal companions?

I think it's clarified that defeating the Master Rules doesn't nullify their existence, that's why they're the Master Rules. I think it just means they're out of commission for the loop.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

I think it's clarified that defeating the Master Rules doesn't nullify their existence, that's why they're the Master Rules. I think it just means they're out of commission for the loop.

Oh I see. I misremembered how Language got defeated in a previous loop; I thought the defeat the Uma directly led to the unification of languages, but it was the quest reward.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

astro baby lol

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Astro Baby is so good lmao

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Astro Baby's killing it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
like the anti-earthchild

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Shojo Null continues to have zero chill and I am on board.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
lmao Kill Blue is escalating huh

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

UU:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MamaYuyu probably should have been pulling some of this weird imagery out earlier like Grisha's weird empty head.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Thus putting an end to Rule: Poverty Exploitation Theater.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope this takes off as a new meme

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Undead Unluck continues to be absolutely amazing. Also,I just noticed that for UMA Death the side pieces on her habit are actually her real eyes and the top of it are her teeth. She’s gonna be proper scary when we reach her fight. I find it interesting that UMAs Language and Luck don’t have slit eyes like the other Master Rule such as Change and Beast (RIP). Soul doesn’t because he was created by Luna.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ruri dragon seems to fill a hole that nothing else in jump does right now

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
UU: language is adorable and I love the tower of Babel hat.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1769419126013935967
Who could possibly want this? It seems like it would be horrible to read.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

muscles like this! posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1769419126013935967
Who could possibly want this? It seems like it would be horrible to read.

I have this because it makes me laugh like an idiot everytime i look at it

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you obviously have to cut it in half and discard the rear piece. it's the only sensible way to read death note.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

this procedure is known as melloing out.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
good weapon if your home gets invaded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

ruri dragon seems to fill a hole that nothing else in jump does right now

Yeah, just absolute comfort food. The mom is adorable :3:

Sakamoto Days: "Don't grow up to be like them."

"Which one?"

"Both."

Blue Box: awwwww :3:

Kagurabachi: man, I have to say, this series has gotten so much better than where it started, unlike...

Nue's Exorcist: ...which is actually starting to piss me off with how little this series has developed. There is nothing interesting about this series, and that it's outlived other, better manga is a drat shame

The Elusive Samurai: okay, that was a great gag

Astro Baby: okay, I'm all in

Pension Life Vampire: for the most part a cute series, but not a fan of the implied romance at the end

Set It and Forget It: ngl, I'm disappointed she finally got to cook rice