Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
King also got blindsided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
King Golf just had a shitload of chapters uploaded. Remember that sports manga formula everyone discussed a long while back?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
King Golf, the most shonenest of golf manga has received a shitload of updates. Thrill as a mostly less assholeish Agon from Eyeshield goes from king of the bullies to a scratch golfer in 2 months after repetitive shonen training and teaching sessions from a camp of children.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

AnonSpore posted:

Dude what. The title of most shounenest of golf manga indisputably belongs to Dan Doh!!, a manga where an Japanese grade schooler goes pro because he wants to earn enough money to bring back his absent mom and ends up golfing against the likes of Jack Nicklaus. Also he can literally see the wind.
My knowledge of golf manga is non encyclopedic believe it or not. Looking at Dan Doh however holy poo poo.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Why would a full serialized manga based on the Iron Knight one-shot be good considering the one-shot sets it up as the kid never being able to speak or become human ever again?

Wouldn't that end up with tons of chapters with no text, or only inner monologues since he can't speak, or a lot of "ARROOOO" noises?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
King Golf had another batch of chapters uploaded to all the various readers.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It looks like Gamble Fish might be getting translated semi-regularly again? It's about as surreal as it has ever been.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
New Iron Knight: Wow, very grim for a typical-as-hell shounen.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The original FMA anime is pretty hosed up and dark at times and while it kinda falls apart at the end and makes no sense, it's a gently caress of a lot more interesting than Brotherhood/the manga because the manga literally ends like a JRPG with a boring saccharine ending after a boss fight in space.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Allarion posted:

Another chapter of My Hero Academia!

This series is too fun/light-hearted, it's doomed.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
unsounded is of similar visual quality, full-color, and updated religiously three times a week when it's not on between chapter hiatus. Lot of good webcomics out there anymore.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Naruto's problem was the same problem that kills like 90% of every shounen manga I've ever enjoyed, which is time skips.

Time skips are really bad plot devices and shouldn't be used.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
To be fair, Eyeshield 21 subverts this a bit since the ubermensch American team is still flat out better than all the best Japanese players on one team. The Japanese just force the Americans to play smart as a team and it's implied the Americans win in the end.

And this is the same manga with a lot of Japanese casual racism.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If Mashima picked up anything from his tutelage under Oda, it's how to make a lot of interesting looking and varied characters. Fairy Tail is generally low-rent One Piece (well, low-rent compared to Enies Lobby era; now it's about on par I'd say) but the dude draws pretty badass dragons and makes interesting LOOKING characters when it's not all fanservice and new mysterious asspull attacks.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Death Note is pretty cool if you watch to the end of the first "season" and then watch a cut scene on youtube, and pretend that's the ending.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Gamble Fish somehow got even more ridiculous than it already was.

The healing powers of Obama.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Haha yeah I was kinda wondering how this part of the story was going to resolve, just saving the girl seemed like it was way too straight forward given everything else so far. Wonder how far off the deep end the dudes going to go to try and accomplish poo poo in this loop.

I'm still waiting for the "It's you John, you're the demons" twist at the end where he turns out to be the demon king or some dumb poo poo like that.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Man, Black Clover is generic even for a shounen.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

DrSunshine posted:

Has anyone read the latest chapter of Ultra Battle Satellite (that name will never not be hilariously dumb!:haw:)? I'm really enjoying it so far -- that was an amazingly cool hook kick the main guy did. I like how unashamedly brutal the fighting is -- like I'd said before, it kind of reminds me of Shamo but toned down for WSJ standards.
It's weird but I kinda like it. The protagonist kinda gives me Yusuke vibes which is cool. Generally okay-ish moral compass, but absolutely no qualms about beating the ever living dogshit out of anyone who wants to try it on, no problems with fighting dirty, etc.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Gamble Fish has some more chapters out if you want to watch Obama play Russian Roulette with the Devil.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also Meliodas seems to basically be holding back at every given moment. Remember that he never ever actually gets truly enraged over the course of the series; probably because the last time he did he managed to single-handedly annihilate an entire kingdom.

They'll probably have a shitload of stuff to pull for why he isn't strong enough at any given moment. Oh, he doesn't use his demon/true power because he's suppressed his emotions after committing his sin, or he's lived so long without consuming humans/magic willingly his powers have diminished, or he's partially sealed and that's why he looks like a kid, etc etc.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Black Clover continues to be really boring and formulaic in general but I just really like the one trend it bucks where the "Super Cool Badass Rival" character is actually really chill/nice and deeply respects the main character like...actually as a friend.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 13, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Black Clover is basically a Naruto madlibs.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I like /a/'s black clover drinking game.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Suspension of Disbelief is a hell of a thing. You know you've hosed up if people are confused by your otherworldly invader story but can roll with something like Toriko or Assassination Classroom.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Is Gamble Fish Shounen or Seinen? Whatever- it's getting translated again and seems to be nearing it's end. It's still absolutely bonkers.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

chumbler posted:

I'd call it seinen, but I'd also call it bad.
Obama plays Russian roulette with a dude who looks like the devil, it kinda owns in a way.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Latest chapter of Black Clover has a relatively clever twist given how ridiculously generic the whole affair is.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The MC being the one to get captured/kidnapped is a pretty good twist all things considered.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Sharkopath posted:

Yeah it is, I just wanted him to beat up all the cloaks without help cause that would've been really funny.
I know Black Clover isn't that far in and this is like the third major fight in the series but it's hilarious how even when the opponents know ahead of time he's anti-magic their solution is to just throw more magic at him and then be surprised when he hits them in the face with his loving anti-magic sword.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There is something great that Aster's power is basically being swole in a world of DnD Wizards who don't even lift.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
My Hero Academia does some good team-up fights as well.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I was never that enamored with HxH but I kinda feel bad for the people that like it since it'll never ever be finished in the same way Berserk won't.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Black Clover really surprising me a bit in the last two chapters.

Aster gets captured and hauled off which is kinda unusual given he's the MC.

You think this might be the setup to a rescue arc, but when the badguys get back to their base they discover the Sorcery Emperor (who is mentioned multiple times to have been gone because said he was "Stepping out" for an unknown reason) waiting for them. He effortlessly and coldly obliterates half of the badguys and captures the rest. He basically says to Aster, "Hey, cool to see you again! You see how I just did that? That's the lowest bar for being Emperor kid, so get crackin." Dude's still kinda creepy with how cheerily he just instantly kills people.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's shounen as hell with a really weird premise but kinda interesting?

Story is semi-steam/dieselpunkish world where there's some spiritual phenomena where people spontaneously combust and become fire monster demon things. And people with fire-related superpowers come from the same phenomena and they kill the fire monsters.

Points for originality I guess.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Yu Yu Hakusho has an insanely good dub that has both great voice actors/voices AND it's a pretty drat accurate translation.

Also Trigun- another series where I get weird looks for preferring the anime to the manga.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Bad Seafood posted:

The manga makes better use of the Gung-Ho Guns and has better fights, but otherwise I'd say the anime is superior. Having experienced both the anime is far more emotionally resonant and thematically tied together. The manga also just pulls the drag chute past a certain point and becomes a slog. It's like 14 or 15 volumes when it needed to be around 10 or so.
I pretty much agree, but they kinda have to shoehorn all of the gung-ho guns in and they chump out for the most part.

Legato was a hell of a lot less interesting in the Manga as well- the way he was handled in the anime especially at the end is one of my favorite scenes.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Dexo posted:

New One-Shot Manga by Fujimaki Tadatoshi(Kuroko no Basket's Author) Vanguard of Archer.

http://readms.com/r/one_shot/Vanguard%20of%20Archer/3162/1

Seems pretty cool, I've always liked his art. And I'm a sucker for any series or game where the main weapon is a bow and arrow.

generic premise but yeah, I kinda dig the idea of the MC being a badass archer.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Death Note's first half is fun but it requires the super genius proantagonist to make a series of really dumb mistakes for L to even have a ghost of a chance to catch him.

Light killing the fake L reveals him to be a possible student who at least watches TV in Kanto. Big whoop.

Then after extraordinary effort to fool the FBI agent he uh... just kinda says "gently caress it I'll kill him anyway." Which is insanely stupid and doesn't make much sense.

I had a hard time getting past that much less Near and Mello.

Also in The Seven Deadly Sins, Meliodas died. Be sure to check out Nakaba sensei's next work everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There's a new series in Weekly Shounen Jump and mangastream translated the first chapter.

It uhhhh kinda seems out of place in WSJ. Seems like it wants to be seinen.