Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Blockhouse posted:

I did not realize that Spy X Family and Kaiju No. 8 were absolutely demolishing most of the actual physical WSJ books in sales.

Maybe Jump Plus is the future and print is dead.

Those 2 don’t have traditional print books in Japan?

It’s good to know that Kaiju No.8 is selling good though because I’m absolutely loving it and I would hate for it to be cancelled anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
:(

I liked Phantom Seer. It had good art and I liked the story so far.

I’d much rather I Tell C get cancelled because that’s a big old turd.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Silver2195 posted:

I Tell C has a straight up bad concept, but surely it hasn't been in the magazine long enough to be cancelled yet? It's been obvious for a while that Phantom Seer was going to be cancelled soon, along with Build King.

Oh it’s been in long enough to be cancelled. (More than a couple chapters was long enough)

I don’t follow rankings or anything so I had no idea Phantom Seer was going to be cancelled. I guess it’s obvious if you follow polls or something but I just read what pops up on the Shonen Jump app. I’m honestly surprised Hardboiled Cop and Dolphin is still running.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Ghostwriter started out with me going “wow this is a really cool idea, but is it sustainable?” And then I don’t know if it was because it crashed and burned but the answer almost right away was “no it isn’t” and it immediately started in on other ideas.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Blue Box seems like it could be pretty fun. Looking forward to seeing how it continues from
this point now that all of the setup is out of the way.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

CodfishCartographer posted:

Is Cop Dolphin still going or did it get canned?

Still going. It’s now doing a big backstory arc.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I got into One Peace last year after getting furloughed from work. I got to about chapter 860 before I burnt out on what was happening. I’m finished school for now and don’t have a job yet again so maybe I’ll try and finally catch up.

It’s good, but I don’t think I’d ever call it great. It’s too long and bloated for it to truly stand out in my mind.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Honestly not sad about Dolphin Cop possibly ending. What started as a fun and goofy premise just got bogged down in trying to be super serious and it just doesn’t work.

Should have stuck to jokes about how the lady cop has huge boobs.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I think 9 Dragons just doesn’t have any character you really latch onto. The pitcher doesn’t get all that much spotlight, the main nerdy guy doesn’t do anything besides “be smart” and the super smug guy is annoying. I’ve been keeping up with it, but there’s nothing and nobody to keep me hooked. I haven’t read Haikyu, but with the anime it sets up a great protagonist from the get go that you can cheer for and I just don’t see anybody that’s worth it.

Good concept, completely flubbed the execution.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I love Blue Box but I’m a sucker for romance type story. Especially when it’s backed up with a “gotta do good at sports” story. I still think Phantom Seer was really good though and would have been amazing given more time.

Candy Flurry is ok. Nothing amazing, great premise, complete yawn of a main character because having a cool power and then the story be “character has to hide and not use power”
is kind of counterproductive.

Witch Watch took me by complete surprise because at first I didn’t like it but the humour got a lot better and the fun one chapter stories about how a spell goes crazy wrong are great. Good that it’s seeing a lot of success.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I honestly didn’t like Witch Watch when it first came out as it didn’t really grab me, but I thought it was kind of charming and stuck with it. I’m glad
I did because it has easily become one of my favourites.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Fabricated posted:

IMO Baseball and Soccer are sports where you basically have to destroy it to succeed in Weekly Jump because there are multiple very good serializations both past and current.

So the answer here is Jump needs someone to create an Ice Hockey manga.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I’m surprised it’s not doing better than Yozakura. I tried getting into that when I first got the Shonen Jump app and it was so aggressively mediocre. It was terrible, but I couldn’t say a good thing about it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Red Hood is bad. I find it incredibly hard to follow the action because the art style has such a rough look to it I’m not sure what I’m looking at half the time, and yeah, the beginning has been incredibly drawn out. Probably gonna drop it.

Meanwhile, the Martial Arts manga I wasn’t sure if I really like this week as I thought the main characters solution to his problem was really funny and great to show off his skill.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Candy Flurry had a really good premise. It’s completely stupid, but it worked. I latched onto
it so I’m probably not seeing the negatives as much but I honestly thought it was way better than Red Hood or Neru. Where with Red Hood I’m still reading it but that feels more generic to me, and I really don’t like the art because it’s so much more chaotic and hard to follow at times.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

chiasaur11 posted:

I'll start with the art, because it's obvious and it's easy to finish off. It's bad. Moving on.

Okay, I can do a little more. It's distinct, but not in a good way. The proportions shift from panel to panel, the anatomy feels off, the characters go for absurd hair to compensate for a poor ability to make faces that read well on their own, the panel composition doesn't make for a solid flow, and it doesn't feel up to Jump's usual standards in general. But that's not the whole thing. Great manga sometimes have mediocre to bad art, after all. (Even if ONE's panel flow is amazing, Mob Psycho 100 starts out incredibly ugly).

I literally made it 2 pages before I closed it out when I saw the main character and some other characters.

It’s not bad. It’s ugly. Kudos for trying something different but it did. not. work.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I read Ayakashi Triangle, but it’s easy to forget sometimes because I can’t read it in the app and have to go online. The series is definitely better when it’s just them screwing around and hijinks are happening, but the story hasn’t been actively bad for a fan service action manga.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Ayashimon’s first chapter was a banger and I hope will be able to keep up that energy. If so it was totally worth Neru and Red Hood getting cancelled (I wasn’t a fan of Red Hood anyway).

Neru’s final chapter was hilarious because it’s like “here’s the characters 5 years from now even though you don’t care one bit about them” Neru was okay but never went beyond “meh”

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Neru had a decent art style but I kinda got a bit down with it near the end because it started to feel like the character designs couldn’t differentiate themselves more, so near the end I started having a hard time knowing the character in the panel actually was.

Red Hood also had a bad art problem for me where when there was nothing going on the art was really good, but when the action scenes started it became a mess to follow and I couldn’t tell what was going on.

They’re both okay manga but I think both had some glaring issues that aren’t just story related.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Ayashimon’s second chapter still good. Loving the chaos energy from it.

Protect Me, Shugomaru is meh. I’m not a huge fan of the gag art-style and it just feels like a premise that will get old fast. I expect this one to be chucked after 16-17 chapters.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Doron Dororon was okay. Wasn’t anything amazing but has a solid enough premise with the promise of cool fights happening. I do find it funny that two manga that have recently come out now have the premise of “the guy is normal but just that powerful!” but go about it completely different ways. I’m going to follow it but I wouldn’t be surprised if it struggles for readership unless it does some really good world building the next couple of chapters.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So apparently Shonen Jump English/Viz isn’t putting out chapter 94 of Ayakashi Triangle but will be putting out 95. Anyone know what happened that Viz elected to go “gently caress this?”

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

DoubleDonut posted:

What if y’all just stopped reading the bad manga that you almost entirely dislike

I like Ayakashi Triangle, so no.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Earthchild felt super bad as an intro. I thought it would be this fun romantic comedy thing and then it’s all “and THIS is the reason you’re gonna to follow this bland Shonen protagonist boy” so we don’t even get introduced to the hero in the first chapter. This really felt like it should have been a flashback conversation that could be done later in the series. As such, I’m still wondering “well, what IS Earthchild going to be about?” Like I get the premise of what an Earthchild is so what’s going to drive our protagonist?

It’s messy and now it’s going to fight a huge uphill battle to get readers to care.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Earthchild is just a mess. What’s the thing that’s going to drive the main story? I still don’t know because there could be another time skip, it could be about the dad and with the thing they said at the end it seems there’s some big twist but it feels weird. Really feels like someone had a really good idea to start with and then it became this mess.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I’m dropping Earthchild. I just don’t care. It’s such a boring mess.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
It’s funny because I recently read Hirohiko Araki’s “Manga in Theory in Practice.” While Araki clearly states “hey look, you can not following this and still have a hit manga, I just found that by doing this you are more than likely going to succeed” I found it very enlightening about what he thought makes a good series.

Earth Child, follows NONE of his rules. “Clearly establish your characters right from the beginning” uhhhh, nope. “Have a great theme” uhhhhh dang.

Look at the stuff this thread seems to like right off the bat. Ayashimon setup the protagonist and the struggle right from the word go. It’s easy to follow and that draws you in. Akanebashi doesn’t follow the main character in the first chapter but it does so for great effect because it shows you the pivotal moment that defines who she is when we follow her. We as an audience are right with her on her journey and root for her because we can emphasize with her, and understand why she has an odd dream for someone her age and it makes her that much more likeable. I haven’t read Earth Child for the last couple chapters but I never felt like I knew who the main character was supposed to be. We rushed through a gigantic amount of backstory so i don’t really have an attachment to what feels like the main crux of the story and without all of that the plot as it is feels hollow and the the rapid decisions people flop between feel incredibly forced.

If Jump drops a series, I have a feeling that would be the first to go. It just felt like it wasn’t doing anything right.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Goodbye, Eri was a fantastic one shot. Fujimoto has really great ideas and I really like how the comic was framed a lot of the times. Looking forward to when he does a more continued work.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

dogsicle posted:

losing my mind at earthchild, just lmao

it was interesting while it lasted

Please spoil it for me because I’m not reading it anymore. What’s it doing now?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yeah, moving AT is just so they don’t have to worry about content anymore I think. Makes sense if they want to make normal jump a bit more kid friendly.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Silver2195 posted:

[*]Pure ecchi manga: Uh, Blue Box? (Really, it feels like Jump just stopped running horny stuff; even Undead Unluck is a lot less horny now. I guess Blue Box does do a great job of staying tasteful given how often the subtext is about a teenage boy trying very hard not to masturbate.)

You could have just said Ayakashi Triangle as SJ just recently moved it, and the parent company still runs it. Instead of making some weird joke about Blue Box.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I like the art in Ruri Dragon and the setup so far is really good. I can definitely see it turning into a battle manga if the author feels the need for it, but I think the non-battle manga actually have a better batting average right now.

Aliens Area just seems bleh. “You have a special power. There all these aliens we can track down. Now we can have a monster of the week story.” I don’t like the character designs and the action just feels very sloppy and hard to follow. I’ll give it a couple more chapters but it’s close to a drop.
There’s nothing that makes it stand out for me.

I’m getting pretty invested in Super Smartphone and am interested in where it goes now that they have the detective in the mix.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
No harm no foul. They didn’t burn the roots.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

chiasaur11 posted:

Considerably less than the protagonist of Alien Area paid. See? He's terrible at budgeting. Just like the latest chapter is terrible at being a chapter.

Note the *as of January 2012* that was mentioned there. Prices can change in 10 years I think.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Just fyi. Check your e-mail if you have a Shonen Jump subscription. They’re doing a survey and it asks if they added manga what types of manga you would like to see and if they doubled the amount of manga the service offers what price point you would be cool with. So it looks like they have an eye on expanding the app which would be really cool.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Justin_Brett posted:

Smartphone had a good chapter this week I thought, it's a good sign when someone can make twenty pages of people talking engaging.

Yeah. I thought this has been the best chapter so far. Really set the protagonist up to feel pretty smart with a great antagonist to play off of. It definitely feels like Death Note lite, but it’s not a bad thing.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Aliens Area isn’t bad, but it isn’t any good. It’s so aggressively mediocre. It’s hook doesn’t really make it stand out and I think the art is pretty mediocre as well, it has a slight stylization to it, but not enough that it looks unique, it just looks well, ugly.

Definitely dropping it.

Ruri Dragon continues to be a delight. Hope it continues to do well.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I knew because last week when I was reading chapters I saw that all of them were saying “8 more days until new chapter”

I got the Blue Box notice and thought I went nuts for a minute but good to see they corrected themselves.

Ayakashi Triangle still updated today on Manga Plus if you want to see a cat need to transform into a pair of underwear. The author is truly free from the constraints of being in regular jump.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I dropped Aliens Area because it was the blandest thing in bland town.

Doron I’m reading at this point on sheer inertia. It really feels like it’s just waiting to get itself canceled as it’s only 30 chapters in and already getting “big bad attacks the headquarters” which feels like a storyline that would happen way later in a work. It also feels very anti-climatic where the author seeded the “oh someone will be a traitor!” and it’s all “oh yeah it’s this random dude and we dealt with this serious issue in 5 panels, okay back to the plot.

Doron feels like it could have been good but has been constantly pivoting to find something that works and so will please nobody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Ruri Dragon on indefinite hiatus because of the authors health condition. That really sucks, seemed like he had a hit on his hands, it was something i looked forward too every week. Hope they take all the time they need to recover.