Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

UnderFreddy posted:

new chapter of Eminence

https://mangadex.org/chapter/af456519-3791-47c3-af8a-23ed894b5dd8/1

and god these last two chapters have just been some of the mangas best work. Incredible stuff.

Just Cid and Beta, traversing the blasted earth, forever searching for the one enemy who eludes them, never suspecting their most hated shitposter was each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Akane-banashi: What hit me coming out of this chapter was the sudden emotional knife of the Dad Flashback. Real great move by the writers getting her in direct competition with another Rakugo Dad as soon as possible.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

CodfishCartographer posted:

I think it's more that there's a lot of potential character developments / interactions that could be happening between them that unfortunately don't happen. I think she still lives with her parents, right? Even if not, she still presumably sees / talks with them relatively often. I have to think that at SOME point she'd want to talk with her dad about the career choice he inspired in her. If she doesn't talk to him about it, it could be a good show of her character WHY she doesn't feel comfortable doing so.

So far the story has mostly treated him like he's deceased or non-existent, which is just kind of a strange choice.

The current competition roster does include a Rakugo Dad, and Akane is explicitly performing something her dad did that's a bad fit for her rakugo power levels, so there are almost certainly going to be some flashbacks in the future.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Tosk posted:

Easily my favorite chapter so far of Akane no Banashi.

Yeah, it feels a bit overdue, but also now I have the phrase "the Rodney Dangerfield of rakugo" in my head and I like what it's doing.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

KidDynamite posted:

Akane-Banashi: there's no way Akane loses right? I don't see where losing at this point puts her narratively. i'm also ridiculously antsy waiting for the results.

Honestly I have no idea and I'm fine with that. She got what she wanted out of this experience, and it's not like you can only have friends if you're strong.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Akane-banashi continues to move on, delving a little bit into the other guy who also decided to go pro as a result of that amateur competition Akane won. Last chapter more so than this week's, which is a bit of marking time while it sets the stage for the one guy who can give Akane a promotion.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Alacron posted:

Akane Banashi: Tanugon best new character of 2023.

I am enjoying this "no filters, head empty" approach. Let's see where it takes her.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Akane-banashi: Well, it's nice to see that Tanugon is a crowd favorite, at least.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Akane-banashi: It's neat to see how they're still treating the protagonist as a small fish where a couple dozen people is a pretty successful live.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Found Akanebanashi merch which surprised me.

Ah, lo-fi beats to memorize rakugo and relax to.

She's not like ultra-merchandizable but the cast is fun and the art's been real nice when it got color pages.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Akane-banashi: Of course the gamble man is going to ask if his proteges can bet it all. I like how I'm honestly unsure if Akane is ready for this or if she's still going to be finding herself on stage instead of performing.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Witch Watch: I like to think the author just gets these occasional kusoge ideas and keeps them in a back pocket for when they need to do a filler chapter. They did it with Sket Dance too.

Akane-banashi: It's been kind of leaning into this whole "empty yourself" theme ever since she didn't make the cut for the New Breeze. I'm pretty sure we're not about to see a rakugo story done in totes qt abbrevs OMG, but this manga has been working pretty hard to set up this atmosphere of unpredictability, both with Akane's gambits and how they'll turn out.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Jerkface posted:

Akanebanashi hits this week, loved it

She's going too deep!

And man, do I ever want to see what she does when she's down here.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The thing that really keeps Akane-banashi going for me is that it's obvious she's putting a lot of pressure on herself, but from a career standpoint she's got so much more time ahead of her. It doesn't take away from wanting her to succeed on her own terms, but I wouldn't fault the story whether she did or didn't get the recommendation she was after.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Speaking of Akane-banashi, this week was a pretty nice come-down from the rakugoverse. I like every time they drop somebody's new style in, especially the people who specialize in non-comedic rakugo.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Shibatarian is doing a pretty good "horror movie setting up for the sequel" moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

muscles like this! posted:

The supportive signs in Akane were a lot of fun.

They were! Ultimate home crowd advantage, right there.

This is the first time they'll sit down and talk, isn't it? He's been there in flashbacks and, weirdly enough, image training.

And there have been glimpses of how he feels about the path his life has taken. It feels a lot like... rakugo helped him become a fuller human being. And now he's on the self-study plan for that.

But now I think we'll find out for sure.