Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

As a frame of reference. Animal Land runs in the same anthology as Attack on Titan (and XXX-Holic Rei so you can't win them all), Best Shounen

Also Flowers of Evil. (And the manga adaptation of From the New World. :barf:) I'll never understand why Bessatsu Shonen is considered shonen.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kaja Rainbow posted:

I couldn't even get past the first chapter. But to make this a little more relevant, does anyone have recommendations for decent shounen that has good treatment of its female characters? I'm not really looking for the usual fanservice and/or harem fare, and I prefer series where the female characters actually get to do interesting stuff.

EDIT: Some example of shounen series I really liked include Full Metal Alchemist, Kekkaishi, Sengoku Youko, Record of Fallen Vampire, Koe no Katachi...

The only thing that comes to mind that hasn't already been mentioned in Psyren.

Tower of God (which is Korean rather than Japanese, but still clearly a shonen action series) is a maybe. The female characters certainly "actually get to do interesting stuff," and I don't remember much fanservice, but there's arguably some weird gender-related subtext that I'm not quite sure what to make of.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
My thoughts on the 6 finalist manga:

• Sweat Man: Kind of corny, but somehow it mostly worked.
  • Golden Rabbit: Aggressively generic. The only one that's clearly a one-shot instead of a first chapter.
  • Morning Star: Has some potential. Basically an "edgier" (I never expected that kind of swearing in a shonen manga outside of scanslations) version of early Magi.
  • Boom: The protagonist is really obnoxious. Some of the weird bombs were mildly amusing, though.
  • The Team Before Daybreak: Felt kind of pointless. Good composition, though.
  • El Viento Del Norte: My first impression was that it's so-bad-it's-good. A cowgirl samurai with an eyepatch named Elizabeth Kitakaze Eastwood? Really? It started getting kind of interesting when it started explaining how the powers worked, but there's nothing here that hasn't been done better elsewhere.

On the whole, pretty disappointing. Voted for Morning Star.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The contest winners have been announced!

https://mangaaward.shonenjump.com/en/

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

Haha, the worst one was the most popular in English.

It's us, we're the bad ones.

I consider Boom! far worse than El Viento del Norte myself. El Viento del Norte is merely chuuni and generic, but Boom!'s protagonist actively offends me.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 28, 2014

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
None of them were actually very good. I'm disappointed that either nothing better was submitted or the judges didn't select the better ones.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

madmac posted:

Zettai Karen Children starts it's final arc this summer. I would probably have seen this coming if the last two months of chapters had actually been scanlated yet. (Was still kinda expecting it, but you know.)

Mixed feelings about the series right now. The manga was really, really, good almost as soon as the middle school arc started and then in the last few years it's been a mess, with so much obvious filler and flashback padding that there had to be something going on with the author. Hopefully the last arc manages to stay coherent to the end.

I pretty much always have mixed feelings about Zettai Karen Children; it's that kind of series. I will never not find Kaoru/Minamoto creepy, and there seem to be more signs pointing to it than ever. Then again, Yuri (The scanslators are calling her Julie now) is probably more in love with Kaoru than ever now, so there's an obvious alternative. I'm not so much bothered by the pacing because I tend to forget the manga exists for months at a time and read it in large chunks. I think the most recent flashback was important because it showed that Kyousuke is so messed up as much because of the whole child soldier thing as because of the betrayal. Also, we found out what he meant when he called the school uniform "mourning attire" in The Unlimited.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Hunter x Hunter isn't bland, though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

What is people's opinion of Dragon Ball these days? I didn't really watch DBZ as a kid and I just read through Freeza in the manga, and it's entertaining enough. It's interesting to see what other peoples' opinions are seeing as it's the most well known shonen in existence. Having just gotten into anime/manga I have nothing to compare this to beyond limited middle/high school nostalgia.

I will say though that I'm not super impressed with the anime, even the Kai remaster. I think I'm just too old to overlook the fact that it, and shonen in general I guess, was written for 13 year olds, and this seems to bleed through a lot more in anime in general than it does in manga. I haven't read Naruto (yet) but rewatching episodes is something of the same experience.

I'm reading the manga now (currently on the Freeza storyline) and it's a mixed bag. It's obvious in places that Toriyama is making things up as he goes along, the characters don't have much depth, and the fights can get pretty samey at times. I'd honestly consider it weaker than Naruto or Bleach overall (although Naruto has been pretty bad for a while lately). However, there's some really good stuff early on, and even in the Saiyan Saga things like teamwork and tactics still matter; it's not total crap like Reborn (yet?). If nothing else, I think it has historical value because of the ways it obviously inspired other series (particularly Hunter x Hunter, but obviously most shonen battle manga to some extent).

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 12, 2014

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dexo posted:

To defend Reborn the Vongola rings arc was great, and the first part of the future arc was real promising.

Yeah, even Reborn had some strong points early on, although it was never exceptional. It nevertheless had several fundamental problems that it showed hints of early on, even if they didn't fully emerge until later: the cyclical character development (Tsuna in particular keeps becoming ok and then reverts to being terrible), the constant powerups changing everyone's abilities to the point where every fight was essentially between two unknowns (which means less seeing known abilities used tactically), the constant powerups leading to inconsistencies, the messed up ideas about gender and sexuality (even by shonen manga standards), and probably other things I've forgotten.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I recommend reading the manga and watching the first anime; they both have their strong and weak points. Brotherhood is basically a straight adaptation of the manga, but it's not as good as the manga in some ways.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

Watch Brotherhood because the original FMA anime turns into Sho Aikawa's usual "poo poo on the characters as much as possible because heroes deserve to suffer" bullshit.

I like the anime's darker tone, but I just looked up Sho Aikawa and was disturbed to find that he worked on Angel Cop and Urotsukidoji (though he wasn't the primary writer for either).

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I don't know where you're at in the show, but if you're not very far in it, keep going. You'll notice that after a certain point it pretty much drops most of the shonen tropes (or at least twists them to the point of being unrecognizable).

e: Speaking of FMA: Brotherhood, (dude above me, you probably shouldn't read this) I really don't understand why Ed and Hawkeye saved Envy from Mustang. I mean, it makes sense on a thematic level, because "hate is really, really lovely" is pretty much one of the big messages of the story from what I can tell, but... Envy exists for the sole purpose of doing evil poo poo. He is an unrepentant, proud murderer, literally started the Ishvalan genocide, and the only remotely good thing he's done in the entire series so far was helping Ed and Ling out of Gluttony's stomach (which he did primarily out of self-preservation). If there is any one character in FMA whose killer would get a moral free pass, it's Envy, and their main beef with Mustang doing it seems to be that he's too angry at him (which makes no goddamn sense given that he just bragged to him about murdering Hughes, his best friend). I get that the theme had to be driven home a little more, but why with the one character who completely and utterly has it coming? :wtc:

e2: Why the gently caress does Scar of all people get on a high horse about it? Scar's revenge was against people who largely had nothing to do with what he was avenging. Roy's was against the person who murdered his best friend in cold blood and then bragged to his face about it in the physical form of said best friend's wife. I'm pretty sure there's a BIT of a difference there. :psyduck:

e3: HOW THE gently caress IS HAWKEYE KILLING HIM A BETTER WAY TO HANDLE IT!? :psyboom: This poo poo is retarded.

The difference is that Hawkeye would have been killing him to stop him from killing more people in the future rather than for revenge.

It's probably worth noting that Mustang and Hawkeye were both involved in the Ishvalan genocide too. Neither has much moral high ground here.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

nerdz posted:

I love how mad people are in the comments that the series doesn't seem to cater to shounen clichés. It's amazing to me because shounen settings like this are always about a world where pokemon training/card games/cooking is the Most Important Thing In The World and the main character wants to be the best in the world at it. Then they focus on someone who doesn't give a poo poo.

I enjoyed the first two chapters, but I can see why people are leery of it as a continuing series. So far it basically has one joke, even if it is a good joke. There's still plenty of interesting places it can go from here, though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

From the creator who brought you Psychological Torture Master Takagi-San, comes an all-new serialization about an older brother with a younger sister who's actually a blood sucking zombie!

Futdatsuki no Kyoko-Chan

I think I like "Takagi-San" more than this, at the outset, but I'm willing to give this author the benefit of the doubt not to take this in a creepy or generic way.

It's gone in a fairly creepy direction already.

I thought the sister-loving trend was dead, but I guess that's only true of anime, not manga.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

I think given UQ Holder the man just likes harems. He doesn't need any editor pressure for that.

How is UQ Holder a harem? The only character who's really a love interest for Touta is Kuromaru (who isn't even female).

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
What makes Fairy Tail distinctive isn't characterization (generic, occasionally derivative of One Piece specifically), plot (a mess at times), or art (blatantly stolen from One Piece), but pacing. Fairy Tail is one of the few shonen manga that doesn't occasionally suffer from the are-they-still-on-Namek problem.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Bad writing, power creep. I dunno why you'd expect reborn of all things to be consistent- it wasn't even originally a shounen fighting manga.

Basically this. Reborn is pretty much the one shonen series I've read/watched where I don't even bother with Watsonian explanations for that sort of thing. It's just that badly written.

Edit: You could go with "being sent backwards in time makes the box weapons weaker from the paradox," I guess. Or maybe "Tsuna's dad suddenly developed a crippling illness in the future."

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 6, 2015

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
What bothered me wasn't even that the female characters were weak so much as the weird attitude that even the stronger ones (like Lal Mirch) shouldn't fight. It was even somehow seen as worse for, say, Kyoko to fight than for Lambo, an actual child, to fight.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I liked Psyren, although I agree that the ending was a bit rushed. It's been a while, though; I'm not sure how well it would hold up on a reread.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

2. This one I'm less certain about because I don't live there nor do I claim to be an expert but Japan apparently believes in guilty until proven innocent even more than most people here in the States do. If you're in jail, it's because you deserve to be there and any trial stuff later on is immaterial. And I know it's "officially" innocent until proven guilty but I hope everyone here knows that's not true in the court of public opinion.

I feel like Death Note would have been a much better series if it critiqued attitudes like that more explicitly. It feels like the author wasn't interested in exploring the moral issues raised by the premise and just made Light completely evil right off the bat so he could get straight to the mind battles. I think Near's hypocritical friendship speech (Mello was a murderer too, but he was conventionally selfish instead of a megalomaniac, therefore Near is proud of having his help?) showed that although the author realized intuitively that Light's actions were wrong, he wasn't really able to articulate why they were wrong.

Death Note also seems to equate being a decent person with being naive.

I only read the first few chapters of Platinum End, but in general, it seems that the author has developed a much more mature and nuanced moral outlook since writing Death Note, which is good.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

So I probably should be posting this somewhere else but apparently this American Death Note movie is still happening.
http://screenrant.com/death-note-movie-keith-stanfield/

If anyone knows where I should discuss this, please let me know. Should I make a topic in the movie forum? Seems like it might be abit early for that but I dunno. I am nervous about creating topics on this site.

I think it goes in the Who Greenlighted thread in Cinema Discusso.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fabricated posted:

There's a new series in Weekly Shounen Jump and mangastream translated the first chapter.

It uhhhh kinda seems out of place in WSJ. Seems like it wants to be seinen.

You mean The Promised Neverland? Yeah, that was a very dark direction to go in. Obviously it was building up to something fairly dark, but that particular thing was an odd direction to go in. I was expecting, at worst, that the kids were being raised to become part of a biological supercomputer or something like that. I don't get the idea that being intelligent would make you tastier.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 2, 2016

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The second chapter of The Promised Neverland is up. It's good to see the oddness of the demons wanting their food to be smart being acknowledged.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Promised Neverland chapter 3 is up. It seems smarter kids do indeed taste better, although there's a vaguely plausible scientific-ish explanation given for why that should be so. Norman searching the house he's spent his entire life in, and even repeatedly played hide-and-seek in, for bugs felt a bit silly, although I suppose he must have thought there was a possibility there was something he wouldn't have thought to look closely at before.

Mama having been raised as livestock too was a genuine twist for me. My theory before that was that she was a demon in disguise who sincerely prided herself on raising humans for slaughter humanely, not like those awful factory farms where the kids don't even get fresh air!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jose posted:

new magi is good as is all since the stupid war. SJ needs to curb editor powers in a lot of cases

Do editors really have that much power, and do they really use it for evil that often? The only major case of editorial interference I can remember a mangaka discussing openly is Toriyama's editor telling him that the Androids had crappy designs (and he had a point; 19 in particular looks awful), leading to Cell being introduced to replace them as the villain.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Clarste posted:

We really don't get many stories for general PR reasons (they want to act like everyone gets along at the company), and we also never hear about all the times an editor has saved a series with a dumb author.

I'd say getting rid of Android 19 counts as saving a series with a dumb author, heh.

I also vaguely remember Tite Kubo suggesting at some point that he wasn't getting enough editorial feedback, which would explain a lot about Bleach.

I actually suspect the threat of cancellation for declining ratings stifles mangaka creativity a lot more than direct editor input does.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jose posted:

who knows but the entire war was a mess, really long and totally out of character for the rest of the series. It probably got great ratings so it was like 20 chapters instead of 5 or something

I don't read Magi, but 20 chapters seems short for an entire war.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
New chapter of Promised Neverland is up on Mangastream.

I'm starting to get annoyed with the constant "those guys sure are smart!" internal monologue.

I actually think Mama has made a mistake here. As I see it, the main thing stopping them from just killing Mama was how the other kids would react to it. Now they have Sister Krone to pin it on.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Allarion posted:

New Jump manga this week (only translated by Viz atm) Amalgam of Distortion.

It seems neat.

That's a cool panel, but Amalgam of Distortion as a whole seems pretty bad. Generic dense main character, generic tsundere love interest, generic sadistic mad scientist villain, generic :geno: zealot antihero who will obviously become the MC's best friend after the MC beats him up. The only thing that stands out about AoD is that it's unusually gory for a shonen manga.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

What would the "main event" series have been in the 1990s? Dragon Ball Z, obviously; maybe YuYu Hakusho? What else? (I suppose Sailor Moon would have been big but it's not a shonen series.)

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. And Hunter x Hunter started in 1998.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
By the way, I don't think anyone here has discussed the twist at the end of the most recent Promised Neverland yet. I'm not completely clear what Norman's thought process here is. I'll have to go back to previous chapters and check what Emma and Norman said to Ray about the ropes.

It's early enough in the series's run that a twist like this is a real possibility, although there's also a possibility of it being a fake-out.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fabricated posted:

The Promised Neverland continues to be pretty good.

Eh. I'm not sure I can buy that Ray has been planning all this since age 5. No kid that young is that smart and calm.

I'm not sure how Emma's plan has a chance of succeeding. Ray has a point; there's no way they can remain perpetually on the run from the demons while accompanied by so many toddlers.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Slime posted:

They're anime kids, they all have IQs of like 300 and dumb poo poo like that because that's anime.

The test scores don't necessarily map to modern IQ tests; all we really know about how scores are calculated is that 300 is the highest possible score. Plus, isn't taking IQ tests more than once a year considered to make them less reliable as an indicator of overall cognitive ability? The kids are taking these things every day.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Crain posted:

I'm liking The Promised Neverland, but I'm not sure how much of that is the current writing or me being really excited for the eventual reveal of just what the gently caress the outside world is.

As a bit of meta thought about where the story is going to go: I'm expecting either a TPK or major time skip once they put their plan into action. A distant third idea is that only 1 of them lives (Emma probably) and she gets put into system like Sister Krone hinted at.

A time skip may be necessary at some point, if only because a story about the logistics of 12-year-olds caring for toddlers wouldn't be much fun to read.

I doubt they'd kill off everyone like that in a Jump manga. Is there any precedent for that? I guess basically every major character except Near and Matsuda ended up dying in Death Note.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 15, 2016

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Erg posted:

Jojo's part 1 ends up with the titular hero dying

True, although Erina, Speedwagon, Tonpetti, and Straizo survive, so it's hardly a TPK.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Alder posted:

Who recalls the name of the manga where the MC who works as a coder who dies in a car accident but is revived in a alt fantasy world where he applies his knowledge to become a god? IIRC he liked mecha figures too.

Sounds like a fairly standard LN/WN plot. Or is that :thejoke:? If you're serious, I think you might be thinking of Heavy Object.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Alder posted:

No, it's not Heavy Object. The entire magic system was based off coding/CS and he learned how to control mecha.

Is it Knights and Magic, then?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Demon's Plan seems pretty generic and potentially annoying to me. Remember the parts of Naruto where Naruto moped about Sasuke turning evil? Does anyone actually want to read more of that sort of thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The second chapter of Demon's Plan reveals that there's going to be a Highlander-style battle among 108 otherwise-immortal demons (including Boro and Carlos) with the winner getting their wish granted. I guess the idea is that to be selected by the Demon's Plan in the first place, you have to want whatever you wish for badly enough to be willing throw away immortality for a chance at it. Though if Boro and Carlos are the last two standing, I suppose nothing would stop them from just staying immortal instead of killing each other. Or maybe it will end with Boro being the last survivor and using his wish to bring Carlos back to life, assuming the manga doesn't get cancelled first.

This went in a somewhat different direction than I expected from the first chapter, but it's still not super-promising.