Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It's a fascinating read to see characters that feel like they could be from one of the games, but drawn with someone else's take on the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

CodfishCartographer posted:

Looks like the rumor was true, which means Neru is probably hosed next week

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1455788709014646784?s=20

One less than Candy Flurry, hell.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So long as GeGeGe no Kitaro gets a show every decade yokai as inspiration probably aren't going anywhere.

But more specifically, the idea of Yokai moonlighting (sunlighting?) as Yakuza just makes sense. They both get paid tribute, have weird rules within their circles, and represent a whole other world most people never see.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 15, 2021

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Even with yokais exploding into money in Ayakashimon I wasn't expecting someone getting ripped in half in the seventh chapter. Give him a few hundred years, he'll walk that right off.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Having to fight a couple more werewolves may not have been a good idea, but what really, really killed Red Hood I think was the decision to ditch the premise of the one-shot and introduce a bunch of gimmicky good-guy characters and a big exam arc where no monsters were fought at all. It felt like you could see people's interest in it just drain away while that went on, and it lasted months. The author is a former assistant to Hori so he could have taken away the wrong lessons from MHA, but if it was that editor's idea then yeah, he's no good.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I was looking forward to Margarette getting another fight at least.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That's debatable.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
What a bizarre character Earthchild chose to introduce almost ten chapters in. Everyone else is more or less grounded and then you put in this weirdo.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Dai getting more characters besides the kid himself would be cool.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

dogsicle posted:

having Dai without Maam is a crime

Popp and Hadlar too, ideally

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
:wtc: I don't think you can blame that all on the editor anymore.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Like, couldn't you just do a timeskip after a couple more chapters and not make that a plot point? Even as inconsistent as the series has been I don't expect he's going to actually go through with it.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Even if it's less than twenty chapter's worth it does annoy me on some level Earthchild will actually be resolving its main conflict, just presumably a lot quicker than he intended.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Could have sold a million copies if not for the bad backpack price in the first chapter. Rookie mistake.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Smartphone had a good chapter this week I thought, it's a good sign when someone can make twenty pages of people talking engaging.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
You need to really be into absurd power scaling and 80s cheese to get enjoyment out of the original, I found. I did for a while watching the anime, but dropped off just before the big boss rush arc.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It was weird in Aliens Area how the main character went 'oh man gonna have to fight another guy' when the alien basically just said he was here on vacation and didn't do anything remotely aggressive to make it seem otherwise. Did the translation miss something?

Leaning into the office job stuff would probably be good for it though, most interested I've been in one of its chapters so far.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Super Smartphone: I can't imagine these numbers are 1:1 with who has the most points but it'd be really funny if the megalomaniac CEO with 21 charisma has done less with his magic phone than the streamer.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
If it's that far in the future I hope they have a bit more time to work on it than Stone Ocean.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I do think the Smartphone author has a hit waiting somewhere in his career, he's good at drawing characters and seems to know how to up the ante throughout a story pretty well.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Oh they'll absolutely be assholes to us if they get the opportunity.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It has nice art but it feels like reading it will be a good way of making yourself feel stupid.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I imagine Ichinose Family was pitched as a lighter version of Takopi, and it is so far, but it still doesn't really feel like it's meant to be in this magazine.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'm glad the translator for Ichigoki's Under Control is having as much fun as I am reading it.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I feel like the author has to be a bit careful, because the obvious progression is 100 beginning to care about him as a person and not just a growing seedbed of body parts she can harvest later, but you don't want to do that too fast or the whole hook is gone.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The title made me think it would be about a Jiangshi - it'd maybe be compared to Fabricant then, but at least that'd be a bit more novel.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I feel like it and Dororon had opposite problems, since that had a lead people seemed into a little more, just with a much less interesting setting. Ayashimon also had a leading lady people seemed to like a bit more than Dororon's, but that's a little cheating considering the whole story was about Urara.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Bit sad to see it go, it felt like the little series that could for a while given the subject matter.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I can't really blame the attempt since it's easy to take the lesson that Jump readers don't really tolerate setup lately.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Yeah, it was good

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It would be neat if they never actually outline exactly how the Fabricants were made (or at least how their cores were I guess), since the original Frankenstein didn't either. It could have a similar reason for it too, so nobody is tempted to try it themselves.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
First episode was 1:1 with the first chapter, I liked it well enough. The gags in the fight at the end could have been done a bit better though.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Given their behavior so far, I imagine the head of the organization would be fine with either outcome: either Ashibi and 100 become more valuable assets or they have some excuse to get rid of 100 right then and there.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Man that's a harsh title coming from him.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Sounds like it is actually he who is trying to Give Himself Goosebumps.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The UU anime is sometime in October, appropriately enough.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Kill Blue seems to be fairly popular, so I'd find it weird if it ended after only 20 chapters.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The first chapter felt like it was ten miles a minute, and the bit at the middle seemed like a weird way to get the plot started. Has potential, I guess, but could fall flat on its face with the premise.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1691781456979259877

Yeah, Kill Blue is probably fine for now, that's kinda crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Kill Blue: Tenma really looking like he walked out of Blue Lock on that last page.