Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, I finished all available chapters of World Trigger a while ago and while I was initially bored and did not expect much, the manga turned out to be actually pretty kicking rad.

Sure, the setting, plot and magic systems are all by-the-numbers and painfully generic, but the author is pretty good at character interaction, the main protagonist is an average dude who is actually legit average, without any secret superpowers, genius-level intellect or incredible untapped potential, and it has some of the best battles in shonen. It has also a lot of female characters that actually do stuff and are allowed to be competent, all while having almost no fanservice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, it was around the time Teresa was introduced when my opinion about Claymore changed from "eh, this is kinda interesting, but I'm not feeling it" to "ok, this is actually really good". The flashback arc and the arc after that is the place where the series really found its feet and figured out what it wants to do.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i realize that fire brigade of flames isn't terribly popular here, but the latest chapter was really important and i'd recommend everyone read it whether you like the rest of the manga or not. https://bato.to/reader#c344a23e83e6dbd8

I literally did not read a single chapter of fire brigade of flames before, but this one was indeed worth it. :allears:

Now I kinda want to read rest of the manga, but I assume its nothing like this.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I loved both Angel Dentetsu and Claymore so a new series from the same author sounds great. This chapter was pretty much all setup and introduction, so there isn't much to say about plot for now, but I liked both of the main characters and their interactions with each other, so that's a good sign. Hope it will do well.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Actually World Trigger is super rad and has (had :smith: ) some of the best battles in shonen rivaling only HxH, solid world-building and interesting main character, so the fact that it will never continue and that its author will never draw manga again is serious bummer.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

The go spend time with your family attack is amazing.

That poor guy is probably getting court-martialed the second he lands though... :(

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

...Why?

If I ever made a list of finished mangas that deserve a sequel, Fairy Tail would be at the very end of that list, together with Naruto.

Life is pretty unfair sometimes. :sigh:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Allarion posted:

It's not a sequel it just looks exactly the same :ssh:

I don't know if that's better or even worse :psyduck:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Mikl posted:

I never read World Trigger. How does it rate in comparison to other Jump manga?

Pluses
-probably some of the best team battles in all of shonen
-pretty interesting protagonist who actually isn't some kind of unique battle genius with hidden superpowers. And no, he doesn't become one even 200 chapters in. Instead he is a dude with kinda mediocre level of talent, who's one saving grace is that he is fairly smart and a good tactical thinker (while being FAR from the best)....who happens to befriend an unique battle genius with hidden superpower in first chapter :v:
-the world-building and plot evolves fairly quickly from pretty cliched "extra-dimensional invaders attacked, here is a secret organization that defends earth from them" into story that's basically all about politics and intrigue with no clear bad guy.
-actually pretty good at letting women be competent and do stuff that matters
-little to no fan-service

Minuses
-kinda slow and weak beginning
-there is shitload (I'm talking 100+ here) of side characters and the manga's art-style does a pretty bad job at distinguishing them from each other.
-pretty huge part of the story so far is basically training arc with mock battles, and while it has some really good team battles and character development, there is no avoiding the fact that the whole thing is pretty low stakes and its the part where above flaw of too much too samey-looking characters is most apparent.
-the author has some pretty serious health problem, so breaks between chapters and hiatuses are probably to be expected.

For what is worth I really liked World Trigger and am super happy that the author managed to recover enough to continue with it.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Nah, it has a bunch of very good arcs that have nothing to do with tournaments. Its just that the hiatuses began in the middle of the big squad battle tournament arc, so it has been stuck for like several years on it and that kinda leaves a lasting impression. A bit like "are they still on boat?" for Berserker.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

A man murdered on his wedding day was revived because his wife spent the remainder of her life going on a big adventure to gather the magic ingredients she needed to do a dark ritual to bring him back, and now hes going on the same journey to revive her

and it snaps between the two of their perspectives in time and the art design and creatures are gorgeous and its just got a relentless pace and revels in joy and it rules, its not generic at all.

Thats Marry Grave.

I just tried to read this based entirely on this description and that two-page spread with various bizzare monsters that was posted earlier and I'm glad I did, becouse it's really, REALLY good. Anyone know, which magazine runs this and how popular it is? I never heard of Marry Grave before this thread, so it would be shame if it was unpopular and got cancelled or something.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 19, 2018

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

Its in weekly shonen sunday, the 3rd largest of the main shonen mags. Its also mostly new so I have no clue what the popularity level is, we're caught up with it already.

Oh good, I didn't even know if it was weekly or monthly that flew REALLY under the radar. Hopefully it will end up successful enough to get like 100 more chapter and an anime.

HenryEx posted:

You're welcome :D

It's good to see people like it.

Yep, thanks for posting this. I binged it in one go and it immediately shot up among my most favorite shonens.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
New Marry Grave

Everyone who guessed that the armored grinning monster is actually that psycho knight from Order of the Graves, good work!

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Was literally writing the same post. At least we can now talk about good shonen instead of Bleach or RWBY. :v:

To no-ones surprise, the Deadman recipes are evil and actively spread around by demons. Also I wonder if Sergei was resurrected by Deadman recipe, or was turned into seemingly immortal monstrosity from brink of death by some other method.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Darth TNT posted:

Anyone want to guess what happens when/if riseman uses the spell on Rosalie?

It will work flawlessly, and they will live happily ever after as immortal protectors of humanity, shut up. :colbert:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Gonna get that and have it forever, seriously an insanely good deal.

Yeah, now if they only stopped ignoring the entirety of Europe and actually provided their service there. I would buy your loving subscription VIZ if you would only let me. :argh:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

New chapter of Marry Grave
This time we end the flashback and jump right into a pretty odd twist. A young Marry and I think that's going to confirm some degree of cloning or genetic engineering on behalf of the order of gravekeepers

I am more surprised they didn't cleared why was Marry unable to use magic (and still is unable in the early-stages-of-search flashback), when she was able to use it in later flashbacks. I was almost certain the twist was she was pregnant which blocks the use of magic, but it would be probably mentioned (or visible) by now. As for young Marry clone, I think we'll have to wait, until there is more shown about her. Identical stranger is a cliche manga in general is pretty fond of, so I wouldn't go into cloning just yet.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

I also realize that i've been calling Rosalie, 'Marry' because of the title.

Same. :v:

It sounded vaguely wrong, but I didn't know why. It has been too long since last chapter.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
For fucks sake. :(

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Newish series from Shonen Jump Plus called SPY x FAMILY about the greatest spy in Westalis, the agent only known as <twilight>, being tasked with obtaining a temporary family for his latest mission. He'll need a child to infiltrate a school frequented by his target, and a wife to maintain cover. Little does he know his adopted daughter is a mind reading esper on the run from the organization that gave her powers, and his wife is a hitman just looking for cover herself. It's currently at 2 chapters but this is a really strong opening if you ask me; about time japan got around to their own Spin of Mr. & Mrs. Smith. And the little girl gets me on a spritual level

This was very cute and very good.

I'll be definitely following this one, thanks for bringing it up!

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

A very elegant Spy X Family just dropped. This family is amazing.

Yeah, that was amazing. This is my favorite new running series.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I showed everyone the cuteness!!! :kimchi:

Anya continues to be my spirit animal.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yoruichi is probably one of the most memorable characters from Bleach for me, because she was dark-skinned woman, who not only was unambiguously one of the most powerful characters in the Bleach world, she also had consistent screen-time and action in almost every arc and mostly kept up with the ridiculous power creep in the series. Especially if you compare her to someone like Tsunade (lol) who was more or less the same type of character in Naruto.

And I won't lie, the fact that she was hotter than supernova has also something to do with it

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Aug 7, 2019

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Crain posted:

New Jump Series:

One Punch Harry Potter

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/titles/100083

Isn't this basically the premise of Black Clover, among other things?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
That looks.... interesting, but it's also by dude who wrote Fairy Tail, so chance for it sticking is pretty much 0. :shrug:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Mirage posted:

But the Korean audience being incredibly salty because the "black girl" won is a whole 'nother level.

Are you kidding :psyduck:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
World Trigger is pretty close to being my favorite Shonen series, but yeah, the various issues with publishing (due to authors bad health or other factors) make following it on chapter-to-chapter basis hell. And the series in general just flows really badly when you have to follow all those huge, super tactical team battles piecemeal over several months. So I just reread the whole series when I notice that there are 20+ new chapters, so...like once every two years. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Huh, after being super meh about the first two, I am actually liking the third chapter of Bone Collector. Both of the main protagonist are at their best when they are being total idiots and this chapter was basically nothing but that. But it really should just hurry up and decide if it wants to focus on being comedy about dumb-asses (its biggest strength IMHO) a battle shonen (meh) or romcom full of fanservice and pervy jokes (please no), because it doesn't do very good job at juggling all three at once.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

Future Ghostwriter is a complete write off. Thank god bone collection picked the gently caress up.

Yep, Bone Collector is pretty good now. Almost every character is some kind of goofy idiot, with both of the main protagonists being the goofiest and dumbest of them all. :allears:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Bone Collector: Yup, this has firmly found its niche as "Battle Shonen, but everyone is a moron" and went all in on it. And thank god it did, because it managed to basically turn my opinion around and now I can't get enough of those precious idiots. :allears:

Ayakashi Triangle: Huh, so is this first attempt at mainstream shonen gender-bender series since Ranma? I can't remember anything else out the top of my head.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, Ariadne is a lot of fun. The whole idea of bunch of super-powered idiot kids exploring a world is nifty, if not overly original, and allows the author to switch genres and settings pretty rapidly, which is a lot of fun. It has also nice comedic timing and every kid is kinda great in their own way. However I can't really love Ariadne as much as I would like to, because the fights are completele poo poo and that's a pretty big flaw for a adventure/battle shonen. There are a few ok ones, especially at the beginning, but unfortunately they devolve into everyone shooting identical looking bolts and beams of energy at each other pretty quickly. The result is that its really hard to figure out what's actually happening, what's actually happening often lacks any momentum or impact and the whole mess just looks bad. Which is pretty surprising, because Claymore had pretty great fights, but oh well.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Wait, I didn't know there was a new World Trigger anime coming. Does it continue where the old anime left off, or it's FMA:Brotherhood deal and it restarts the story from beginning? The old World Trigger anime wasn't super bad IIRC, but it had the "long running not well-known Shonen anime" syndrome with all the budget limits and padding it implies.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

RatHat posted:

Wouldn’t be surprised if Oda gets the boot as soon as One Piece is finished.

Yeah, I really doubt that. The only way Oda is getting out of Shonen Jump is if he decides to, or if he is forced to by his failing health. He is too profitable and famous and I fear that the amount of Shonen Jump readers that actually care about him saving and supporting his sex pest friends is pretty small.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
It is something that bears repeating, especially if that author has currently running series. More power to anyone who can detach the work from author enough that they don't mind, but it's a dealbreaker for a lot of folks (me included) and not everyone is automatically aware about it.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
That's the artist from Act-Age that got hosed over by the writer being a creep, not the creep himself, right?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

There was the manga about the guy looking for a book to revive his wife, that was great and ended way too quickly.

Don't even mention it. I am still pissed about Marry Grave. :argh:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Darth TNT posted:

I knew someone was going to bring up the one moment in a full war arc that was funny.

Like I said, I have limited experience. I'm just going off of what I read which involved an endless fight against Crocodile, an endless dull fight against Enel (though I did love the whole "why can't I hurt you!" angle, really refreshing to have a big scary and powerful villain be completely powerless against the main), and a part of the Kaido fight.

The fight against Crocodile, the fight against Enel and the fight against Kaido are all final climaxes of huge 100+ chapters long arcs full of jokes and general goofiness, so saying that OP is humorless because those specific parts have just one or two jokes is extremely weird take.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Kaiju 8 has probably the most traditional take on it out of all examples and even there I kinda like how it was done. The series basically speedran every single trope connected to the whole "hero has a secret forbidde. power/identity that no one can know about" and once that was done, it got immediately resolved by the hero using it to save the whole platoon/division/whatever more or less right in front of them.. I can respect that.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I'm finally catching up to Nagataro, and I gotta say, I'm having a complete turn around about President and her little...sister? cousin? I thought they would end up being another just lame love rivals, but instead, they managed to find a spine lying around and pound it into Senpai somehow, so that he finally asks Nagataro on a date. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Keep reading Bleach as long as you have fun and once you stop having fun, immediately stop reading Bleach and go read something else. Bleach is basically a gentle downward slope, with each arc being slightly worse than the one preceding it, so you don't have to worry about it getting better down the line because it won't. :v: