Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Yeah, speaking of first chapters needing to introduce main characters with a good hook, Ayashimon really got my attention. I liked the throwback style of Neru being a 90s martial artist kinda vibe, but the protagonist's motivations were really hazy compared to Maruo One Punch Man-ing himself into being a superhuman freak of nature because he wanted to wreck his abusive dad, developing an insatiable lust for violence, and wanting to be a good guy in spite of it all. It's pretty compelling and there's a lot of places to go with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Earthchild reads like a brainstorming session, I can't wait to see what other new rando shows up with vital information for sad dad.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Earthchild reads like someone wrote a big list of brainstorming ideas and just started drawing each one without figuring out how they slotted together. Sad Dad needs to go to space to have the storybeat that he can recognize his wife and establish his son doesn't. So now we can move onto the next storybeat where they teach the son to recognize his mother which will probably be resolved in one chapter to move onto the next storybeat. Characters have their emotional backstories dropped within a chapter or two of their first appearance to tick off the box of explaining who they are to the audience and telling them they should care about them, rather than giving them anything to do to connect with the reader.

It reads like a wikipedia summary of a story rather than the story itself.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Loving the Earthchild artist's dedication to drawing space wife's fat rear end whenever possible. At least when it happened in Dr. Stone there was interesting writing around it to distract me.

Agreed on the Roboco shirts, those were great. I hope the exclusive Shonen Jump merchandise store is paying attention!!!!!

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

The new Roboco anime is in a midnight time slot? Is that right? I know it's a new 5 minute series and streaming online is an option these days, but is that a typical time slot for a Shonen Jump title?

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Alacron posted:

So we knew that Akane's solution to how to perform Fetching Tea was going to be to make it more comedic, but this is actually really smart of her.

Urara leans into how beautiful and seductive the oiran is plays her exactly as the customer saw her.

Akane realizes that the story is entirely just some dudebro telling his buddies about this hot chick he met and leans into that. We're not seeing the oiran as she was, we're seeing the guy's awful impression of her.

I love this manga.

Thanks for this, I honestly wasn't sure what interpretation I was meant to take from Akane's performance. I thought she was playing the oiran as beautiful but a bad hostess, which didn't make sense. Akane using her inexperience of what it's like to be a mature and desirable woman by having the story filtered through a man's retelling is great.

I hope this gets an anime, I'd love to see these scenes performed out.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Roboco is fantastic and I love how much the artist has joy and appreciation for all manga.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

It was pretty funny in the anime to hear characters gasp and cry out "Naraku's poisonous insects!" every time, too.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I'm really enjoying MMA, the author is really good at introducing characters and giving you their deal in just a few pages. Any one of these fighters in these recent chapters could stick around for a long time.

Two on Ice almost grabbed me back with this last chapter. I'm a sucker for gender based sports pathos, even if it's well worn territory. The female MC getting cut by her coach and turned into persona non grata because she wanted to focus on pairs rather than follow her singles prodigy life was a strong character beat.

Too bad the manga is more focused on the other MC right now whose motivation is just, uh, "I want to skate with this near stranger" I guess?

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Darth TNT posted:

Is Earthchild already that long ago that it doesn’t even make the list?

I had the same thought, but despite feeling like 5 years of plot crammed into about 30 chapters, it ran from February to September 2022.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I don't want it to end, but I'm getting the feeling like Blue Box could slide into a comfortable end game wrap up by this point and I'd be satisfied.