Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Utena thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4040075

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SHISHKABOB posted:

I for some reason have waited my whole life to this point to watch revolutionary girl utena and wow its incredible. Only 6 episodes in and im already crying (i had a little bit to drink).

it rules and you've barely even scratched the surface

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-HgKRAtXaI

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah Yui wanted to be a sign that humanity existed, even long after humanity itself was gone. We don't really know enough about her character to know why this was so important to her, or how she'll feel after a few quintillion years floating in space alone, but we also don't really know what level of consciousness she has in the eva anyways.

It's unclear what happens to Gendo at the end, he's the only person we see still bloodied and non-tanged during instrumentality, so it's fully possible that Shinji explicitly wanted him and him alone to be exempt from the process. However after seeing (what's left of) his corpse, we then see the three Reis standing and watching him - which is what happens before someone gets merged into instrumentality. I think his fate is meant to be deliberately vague and up to the viewer's interpretation. As for his motivations, Yui was seemingly the only person Gendo really connected with, and yeah his plan was basically to start instrumentality solely so he could see her again, and he seemingly didn't give a poo poo if anyone else was cool with instrumentality.

I always figured Gendo does get to instrumentality, he just has to go in a special way because he's a special kind of hosed up. Like how Aoba doesn't see someone he loves because he doesn't love anyone, the closest Gendo gets to love is Yui and Eva 01, and his self-loathing won't allow him to accept a lovely hug- the catharsis which allows him to enter instrumentality is being violently torn apart by the monster he created. His body doesn't goo right away, but it seems to be mechanically different for various people- Maya's hand pops off and remains solid, the SEELE guy just melts instead of bursting- and may represent that it's harder for Gendo than for the average person to be emotionally broken down enough to meld into a hive mind.

The intent probably actually was that Gendo doesn't get to go to Heaven, but that also raises a bunch of questions for me. If he's not joining Instrumentality, why does Gendo experience a hallucination and die at the same time everyone else is experiencing hallucinations and dying? Everyone gets slimed except for this one guy? Who decides that? Shinji? Does he even have that level of control over what's happening? Because he hates his dad? Would he not also hate the SEELE guys for destroying NERV, or like Asuka for rejecting him? OK now that I type that out, that raises the unsettling possibility that Asuka's on the beach at the end not because she wanted to come back but because Shinji kicked her out of Heaven...

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

2house2fly posted:

I always figured Gendo does get to instrumentality, he just has to go in a special way because he's a special kind of hosed up. Like how Aoba doesn't see someone he loves because he doesn't love anyone, the closest Gendo gets to love is Yui and Eva 01, and his self-loathing won't allow him to accept a lovely hug- the catharsis which allows him to enter instrumentality is being violently torn apart by the monster he created. His body doesn't goo right away, but it seems to be mechanically different for various people- Maya's hand pops off and remains solid, the SEELE guy just melts instead of bursting- and may represent that it's harder for Gendo than for the average person to be emotionally broken down enough to meld into a hive mind.

The intent probably actually was that Gendo doesn't get to go to Heaven, but that also raises a bunch of questions for me. If he's not joining Instrumentality, why does Gendo experience a hallucination and die at the same time everyone else is experiencing hallucinations and dying? Everyone gets slimed except for this one guy? Who decides that? Shinji? Does he even have that level of control over what's happening? Because he hates his dad? Would he not also hate the SEELE guys for destroying NERV, or like Asuka for rejecting him? OK now that I type that out, that raises the unsettling possibility that Asuka's on the beach at the end not because she wanted to come back but because Shinji kicked her out of Heaven...

Gendo gets left out of instrumentality because his wife is real mad at his poo poo parenting.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Heavy Sigh posted:

Gendo gets left out of instrumentality because his wife is real mad at his poo poo parenting.

Yep. Yui had such faith in Gendo, and was counting on him to take care of Shinji when she was gone. And then, well...

He disappointed her.

(Of course, if he'd managed to go past "I am a horrible person" to "I should help Shinji", even at the end, she'd take him back in a blink. She believed in Gendo more than anyone, especially Gendo, and we see that when Gendo finally realizes his mistakes in Shin.)

Crisis
Mar 1, 2010
I don't think it makes much sense, in terms of plot or characterisation, for Yui to reject Gendo from instrumentality.

From a plot perspective, Yui deliberately isolated herself from instrumentality. That was the purpose of her plan to become a part of Unit 01. She could not have rejected Gendo because she does not have the means to do so. The Unit 01 that takes a bite out of Gendo is deliberately drawn off-model, with exaggerated monstrous features, which means that it's not the real Unit 01, which is somewhere else at the time. During instrumentality, we see people experiencing the closure that they need to surrender their ego to instrumentality. Gendo's final scene fits the same pattern that is established in those scenes.

As for characterisation, in all of the interactions between Shinji and Yui throughout the TV show, Yui tries to push Shinji to engage and reconcile with his father. Yui is portrayed as someone who believes zealously in the potential of humanity, and in Gendo in particular. Her feelings towards Gendo are pity and remorse. If Yui does resent Gendo in EoE, this represents a major break in her characterisation, but it's not set up beforehand, or acknowledged by Yui herself later in the movie. On the other hand, we know that Gendo has complicated feelings towards his family, and believes that he does not deserve their love. So again, the scene makes more sense to me as the resolution to Gendo's internal conflict (surrendering to despair and annihilation through instrumentality) than as a revenge scene for Yui.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I finished ANIMA, it was rear end. :psypop:

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
On my last rewatch I realized the show does not do a lot to set up Yui caring very much about how Shinji is doing. I suppose there are discussions to be had what the hell she thought was going to happen after making him watch her, basically, die.
Why one of the more critical people of their doomsday plan was not indoctrinated into their lore and plans from childhood (or at very least prepared like Asuka was) is a good question too, at that point.

(of course the real answer is that it's so that the plot of the show can happen)

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

She put too much faith in Gendo, he never delivered the incredibly detailed packet of instructions she left for Fuyutsuki

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 8, 2024

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

On my last rewatch I realized the show does not do a lot to set up Yui caring very much about how Shinji is doing. I suppose there are discussions to be had what the hell she thought was going to happen after making him watch her, basically, die.
Why one of the more critical people of their doomsday plan was not indoctrinated into their lore and plans from childhood (or at very least prepared like Asuka was) is a good question too, at that point.

(of course the real answer is that it's so that the plot of the show can happen)

Because Yui wanted him to grow up outside of the conspiracy, and Gendo didn't want to be anywhere close to a living reminder of everything he lost.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

I think an important line to characterize this is when fuyutski and gendo are at the south pole talking and one of them says something about the chaos of the human heart or something like that. Maybe it was a different scene idk.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

I always thought the reason Yui had Shinji watch her 'die' was to ensure he'd have a better sync score with Unit-01 (since he would subconsciously associate it with her even if he repressed the memory), therefore granting him an advantage as a pilot that would give him a better chance of survival.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Caught the EoE release at the local indie theatre last night.

A very strange experience. I don't know if it was due to discomfort or whatever, but a lot of people were laughing at parts I didn't really think were all that funny. If a noise is vaguely sexual, despite context, it got guffaws - the same thing happened when I saw Suzume of all things. Asuka's last line is apparently the funniest thing on earth. :shrug:

Maybe Evangelion is just serious business to me, compared to others.

As someone who has only seen EoE on my trusty Manga Entertainment DVD from back in the day, seeing it in higher quality on a big screen was like having clouds part in front of me. So many things I missed visually that popped and looked incredible. Some spectacular framing and animation.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
See this is why I appreciate our indie theater having a guy basically come out at the beginning, give a little spiel about EoE, and insist on rapt silence/no phones. There were maybe like 30% of the theater who had never seen it, and by the time the credits hit we all just kinda responded with stunned silence.
Didn't get a single Anime Club type motherfucker pulling some bullshit, or like bringing out a tuna casserole to eat.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
When I saw Rebuild 1 in a theater, there were some really obnoxious people ruining the whole thing. Worst part was during the scene where Shinji takes schoolwork to Rei’s apartment and they get tangled up and whatnot, some dude yelled, “hell yeah, CP!” and his nasty friends guffawed.

What the gently caress is wrong with people

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've only watched a few anime films in theaters (discounting the first two Pokémon movies over 20 years ago) and the most obnoxious someone has been was an old guy who fell asleep behind me and started snoring. I'll consider myself doing okay if I watch Eva or any other anime films without it getting more severe than that.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

When I saw Rebuild 1 in a theater, there were some really obnoxious people ruining the whole thing. Worst part was during the scene where Shinji takes schoolwork to Rei’s apartment and they get tangled up and whatnot, some dude yelled, “hell yeah, CP!” and his nasty friends guffawed.

What the gently caress is wrong with people

what the hell

feels like that should get the staff to pause the movie and call them out about it or something

perhaps with a record scratch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Laughter doesn't always mean people find something funny. Some people laugh when they are uncomfortable or nervous as well.