Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Everyone starts singing along to Komme Sußer Todd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
evan gelion picture show

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Flutch posted:

EoE coming to AMC theatres in US on March 17 & 20! 🥰

my boyfriend has no idea what Eva is about other than robots, has never seen a single scene, and I want to bring him to see it in a theatre.

the idea of his intro to the series being the hospital scene tickles me in a sadistic kind of way so I’m doing it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

the escape goat posted:

my boyfriend has no idea what Eva is about other than robots, has never seen a single scene, and I want to bring him to see it in a theatre.

the idea of his intro to the series being the hospital scene tickles me in a sadistic kind of way so I’m doing it

Good troll but if you ever want him to watch the rest of it that may backfire.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Midjack posted:

Good troll but if you ever want him to watch the rest of it that may backfire.

It's okay he's going to also get to see the best fight scene and isn't that what robot shows are all about?

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I cracked and started the show with him and he’s absolutely enthralled; we watched the first 6 eps in one go and I decided that was an appropriate stopping point. we’ll definitely be caught up by the time EoE pops up at the cineplex.

I hope it’ll be subbed; anyone know if they’re releasing the sub or dub?

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

the escape goat posted:

I cracked and started the show with him and he’s absolutely enthralled; we watched the first 6 eps in one go and I decided that was an appropriate stopping point. we’ll definitely be caught up by the time EoE pops up at the cineplex.

I hope it’ll be subbed; anyone know if they’re releasing the sub or dub?

tickets at my theater say "japanese language" so it should be subbed

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
What is the current opinion on the directors cut episodes for showing newcomers the show? It's been a good while but the main points I can remember right now are

For: shows the lilith's legs growing back

Against: spoils the imagery of big white Rei and uses some sped up EOE footage for her which would kind of ruin that moment in the movie?

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
I think the regular cut never shows gendo having Adam grafted into his hand

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

What is the current opinion on the directors cut episodes for showing newcomers the show? It's been a good while but the main points I can remember right now are

For: shows the lilith's legs growing back

Against: spoils the imagery of big white Rei and uses some sped up EOE footage for her which would kind of ruin that moment in the movie?

They fix and add things that are somewhat vital and worthwhile and it isn't worth replicating the broadcast experience to make them rewatch for <10 minutes of extra footage afterwards and is the now intended default viewing experience (see JP releases and Netflix), but it does introduce some problems too that might be worth acknowledging (over-foreshadowing, breaking some foreshadowing, confusing people by sticking EoE animatics in the preview etc) and that yes, some of this poo poo was added after it ended, but it's still 25 years old.

The added characterisation, particularly for Asuka in 22, makes a much better episode.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I always go with the director's cut. The "worst" thing about it is it introduces a few things that subtly violate continuity (sometimes arguably, or only if you interpret them a certain way, at that) and honestly that's just not that big a deal. (I'm glad the broadcast versions are still readily available for archival and comparison, but speaking purely as to viewing preference.)

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Update on EoE theatrical showings: Subs confirmed

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

P annoyed the theaters in my area aren't listing dates for the film yet.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

an hour drive to see EoE for me, definitely planning on this

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Turning EoE into a Rocky Horror-type experience by spraying Fanta into the air

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Chieves posted:

Turning EoE into a Rocky Horror-type experience by spraying Fanta into the air

Popping gogurt tubes at the start.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Screaming “rear end in a top hat!” at the screen every time Gendo appears.

Erasable Penis
Aug 7, 2013

galagazombie posted:

Screaming “rear end in a top hat!” at the screen every time Gendo appears.

Same but for every adult in the show.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really like Chilchuck's English voice in Delicious In Dungeon and I see they also did Shinji for the Netflix dub of Evangelion. That's actually a pretty good middle ground between the original VA and Spike Spencer's performance.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 10, 2024

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

New convert here! After seeing ads for this week's theatrical showings of the movie, I decided to spend the last couple of weeks finally checking out the series, having heard great things about it for the last twenty-odd years. As I made my way through the episodes, I listened along with the Get Anime'd podcast, which was both funny and informative. One host is a longtime fan and the other two were experiencing it for the first time as I was, and the added context and background information were really helpful, because I'm sure I would have missed a lot of subtext if I were watching it on my own. Early on, the show felt a little trope-y, but was still clearly a very well-executed take on the giant mech genre, so I was along for the ride and was happy to take the slow drip of lore based on the production quality and the show's reputation. By the halfway point, I was fully invested in the characters and their relationships, and it felt like a great payoff when the show started subverting my ideas of what the conflict was and what its giant robots really represented. The themes of using children as war machines while largely keeping them in the dark reminded me a lot of Ender's Game, and the show's gradual turn to horror was a great rebuttal to how the genre depicts children piloting giant killing machines as if it's some kind of fun adventure.

Admittedly, the last few episodes left a bad taste in my mouth -- I vaguely knew already that the finale was controversial, but for me it really took a turn in Episodes 23 and 24, when they were ramping up to the ending and started cramming in new characters and plot points without giving anything room to breathe. I don't know if this is the case or not, but it felt like a show where they were cancelled abruptly and had to fit about eight episodes' worth of story into four. While I appreciated the guts it took to make the huge artistic swing that the last two episodes did, it felt unearned to me because the jump to that point from where the previous episodes left off, with only a couple of throwaway lines to put it in context, seemed like a narrative shortcut after a couple of episodes that were already full of shortcuts. I got some serious "second disc of Xenogears" vibes there, for the five of you who know what I'm talking about, and I completely understand why so many fans found the finale unsatisfying at the time.

That being said, The End of Evangelion won me right back. The added context for the trippiness of the ending was really helpful, the animation was awesome, and the characters who got brushed aside in the finale all got satisfying character arcs this time around. The movie was a far better execution of Anno's highfalutin ideas about using his art to connect other people with his mind, and I'm really glad I got the chance to experience it on a big screen along with a packed house of confused but enthusiastic fans. I'll look forward to checking out the Rebuild movies after sitting with the original series for a bit and digesting it.

I'm sure that the home video options have been discussed to death, so I apologize for the redundancy, but I didn't see anything about it from skimming the first page and the last couple, so I'll ask some questions here. As I understand it, none of the Blu-ray releases outside of Japan have the licensed music cues (i.e. "Fly Me to the Moon"), so I'm thinking about importing a Japanese Blu-ray set to have the most complete version of the series. Since Japan and the US are both in Region A, compatibility shouldn't be an issue. I'm looking at this boxed set, and it appears to have everything except the Rebuild. The product description mentions "video format versions of Episodes 21-24", which I take it are the director's cuts. It sounds like the broadcast versions of those episodes are remastered in HD but the director's cuts aren't, which is a bummer, but not a dealbreaker. My one concern is that the product details, on this site and elsewhere, say that there are no subtitles in any languages -- is that true? I don't mind having to learn to navigate Japanese menus, but English subtitles for the episodes themselves are essential for me. Any chance that someone here owns that Japanese set and can confirm or deny whether there are subtitles and whether the translation is any good?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

No English subs on that set.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Dagnabbit. Thanks for the disappointing but prompt reply.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

End of Eva in a large theatre: good
End of Eva in a large theatre with other people in attendance: :negative:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

the escape goat posted:

End of Eva in a large theatre: good
End of Eva in a large theatre with other people in attendance: :negative:

I was worried that mine would have a bunch of hooting shitheads but it was a surprisingly well behaved crowd today.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

My crowd applauded at the you-know-what in the beginning but that was all. Thank god. It was great to watch this in a theater.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

there was a guy right next to me air-drumming and fist-pumping at every opportunity and making swooshing noises during any action scene.

and whisper-sang Komm Susser Tod. the whole thing. and he wasn’t the only one!

it’s wild to me that people find it acceptable to act that way in any movie. this isn’t Rocky Horror, fucksake.

oh also my boyfriend called me a monster for even considering bringing him in to watch EoE blind. which, I mean… he isn’t wrong.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

I described my audience as "enthusiastic", but that might not be the right word. Everyone was clearly engaged, but respectful -- none of the fanservice clapping you associate with opening night at a Marvel movie or something. Weirdly, I think it helped that the opening hospital scene was so uncomfortable that it sucked all the oxygen out of the auditorium, and nobody really knew how to react to what they were seeing. The fact that the credits were in the middle of it was also nice, because it acted as a sort of intermission when people could get up to use the bathroom and get any chatter out of their systems. I overheard one quiet utterance of "Wait, what the gently caress?" during one of the later surreal parts, but thankfully no commentary outside of that. The podcast I mentioned talked about how Anno wanted the ending of the series to give viewers an on-ramp back to the real world, or in other words, a way of giving the audience permission to leave the show behind and return to their own lives -- this was kind of explicit in the live-action footage near the end, but also either intentionally or unintentionally aided by the abruptness with which the film ends. Where there would normally be end credits that give you time to sit and ponder what you've just watched, this one was just a fade to black, then the house lights going up immediately. It was beautifully jarring, and the mood of the crowd was something like, "Wow, that was weird, oh well, time to go home!" As people were filing out and trying to explain and interpret the film to each other, the shared befuddlement made me feel oddly connected to the other viewers in a way that I'm not sure any other movie screening I've attended has pulled off. If you're on the fence about seeing one of the showings on the 20th, I'd highly recommend it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the abrupt ending was so much more impactful in the theater, more movies should roll credits at the half. Surprisingly quiet crowd at my showing, all I heard were a few weirdly timed laughs during the unit 02 fight

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Looking forward to watching at the only theater near me this week. Should be empty tbh, might have a friend go with.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

the abrupt ending was so much more impactful in the theater, more movies should roll credits at the half. Surprisingly quiet crowd at my showing, all I heard were a few weirdly timed laughs during the unit 02 fight

Have you ever seen "Kiss Me Deadly?"

Old Noir from the era when films played the credits at the front, so the ending has no credits. It leaves an impression.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
God drat what a great experience that was. It's never looked or sounded so good to me before. Also, what a difference 5 years since my last time watching it makes. Things hit harder than they used to.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

EOE was always great before of course, but seeing it on the big screen...man, that movie just forces you to submit to it in a way it hasn't since my very first watch.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

RhymesWithTendon posted:

I got some serious "second disc of Xenogears" vibes there, for the five of you who know what I'm talking about.
Oh don't you worry, I know.

Heck I'm pretty sure I watched Eva and played Xenogears for the first times respectively in the same calendar year if my memory is correct which proved to be quite a formative year as a teen.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

RhymesWithTendon posted:

Where there would normally be end credits that give you time to sit and ponder what you've just watched, this one was just a fade to black, then the house lights going up immediately. It was beautifully jarring, and the mood of the crowd was something like, "Wow, that was weird, oh well, time to go home!" As people were filing out and trying to explain and interpret the film to each other, the shared befuddlement made me feel oddly connected to the other viewers in a way that I'm not sure any other movie screening I've attended has pulled off.

My viewing of Boy and the Heron went exactly like this

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
https://fxtwitter.com/LegoKingo/status/1769478919206457554

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not that the bad takes ever stopped but it is funny seeing a bigger uptick of the "Anno made EOE because he hates Otakus" hot take on social media now that it's back in theaters.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

currently in a theater waiting to see the movie, let's see how many people show up to a screening thirty minutes away from columbia, south carolina

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

zetamind2000 posted:

currently in a theater waiting to see the movie, let's see how many people show up to a screening thirty minutes away from columbia, south carolina

MB was about 80% sunday, Columbia's gonna be packed.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

shame on an IGA posted:

MB was about 80% sunday, Columbia's gonna be packed.

the room wasn't very big but there was a decent crowd, more than I expected

I was pretty lucky that no one was annoying and everyone was very focused on the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
so is it in theaters cuz of some kind of anniversary???
I guess it's the kind of thing that'll probably come around to the local arthouse enough times in the next decade anyway