Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Shinji, get in the kissing booth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

GateOfD posted:

They should make an anime of some of the weird spin-off mangas like the one where it reads like a silly regular school romcom or other.
Or adapt just the SRW arc where Shinji is a badass

I'd love to see an Evangelion anthology series.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GateOfD posted:

They should make an anime of some of the weird spin-off mangas like the one where it reads like a silly regular school romcom or other.
Or adapt just the SRW arc where Shinji is a badass

Tony Takezaki's Evangelion or nothing. Where else can you see Gendo playing giant monster rampage games with young Rei?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Vinylshadow posted:

There's the Angelic Days manga, based off the Normal Schoolgirl Rei scene

Campus Apocalypse reimagines the Angels as varying levels of manga prettyboys/girls while Shinji runs around with a gun, Asuka gets a whip, and Rei gets the lance

angelic days is halfway to the normal world scene, shinji and the others still have to pilot and things aren't entirely different

raising project on the other hand

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Raising Project was good for the four volumes they had story for, and then they realized it was a comedy ("comedy") fanservice gold mine and ran with that for the next...12, 13, way too many volumes

But hey, props to them for using Mana outside of Girlfriend of Steel and being the only series Asuka's mother exists as a character in (and Yui, and Gendo, who got to punch Ramiel and be a more dorky dad)

And Kaworu was there too for a few chapters before getting shooed away so they could focus on ye olde love triangle

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Sit on my Jace posted:

I'd love to see an Evangelion anthology series.

Evangelion anthology but its the same shinji every time getting sliders'd into different versions of The Bullshit and just getting progressively more exasperated.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Evangelion anthology but its the same shinji every time getting sliders'd into different versions of The Bullshit and just getting progressively more exasperated.

It's Officeworker Shinji getting tossed into various versions of the original series, sometimes having to deal with his own younger counterparts.

Every episode ends with a call home to Mari, who is, from what we can hear, increasingly amused.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Evangelion Everywhere All At Once

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I finally got around to watching the final Rebuild movie.

Hm.

I'm curious, what's the general opinion on it around here?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I really loved it. It was absurd in all the ways I was expecting and moving in all the ways I was hoping

seeing grown-up shinji at the end legit made me cry

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I have seen it twice and remember barely any of it either time

Which made the second viewing somewhat better since I kept recalling hazy bits and pieces, and then GNR showed up looking like it did and I burst out laughing

It was...fine, overall, I'd say, and I'm overall glad it did what it did with the setting and characters

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Eva returned to that slow daily stuff that made the original series great in giving things more backing, weight, and meaning. Shinji is given new horrors to comprehend but also the tools to handle them and more.

The fight looked fake because it was.

Shinji finally just talked to his dad and a whole corpus of regret and averted realities and trauma was suddenly resolved in a fascinating new direction.

That much was worth the sometimes literally infinite pile of other nonsense.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It cashed the checks the first three wrote.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the bits in the village were just top notch

the first fight over paris was neat, seeing it again only longer, with less spatial reference and more clutter over antartica was kind of mediocre

it feels a bit disappointing that there isn't at least one knock down hand to hand fight

overall it wrapped up a 25 years plus of series carrying a ton of emotional baggage and enigmatic conspiracies without completely falling on it's face, which frankly i would have thought to be kind of impossible

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I liked the ending way more than ever expected to. I'm looking forward to its content showing up in a proper SRW game to get the silly dad fight. I never expected them to stick the landing on it at all, and they managed it and I'd be okay with there never being any new eva stuff ever again after that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

it feels a bit disappointing that there isn't at least one knock down hand to hand fight

Well maybe it's not much of a fight but the feeding scene was hand to hand

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Vandar posted:

Hm.

i didn't care for most of it but the village stuff is up there with the high points of the original series

also Kunihiku Ikuhara was right: Anno should have showed Rei living out the rest of her life and dying peacefully as an old lady surrounded by her grandkids

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I really love part 4 and felt like it finally ended the series for me in a way that End of Eva and the series did not. I definitely cried at the end not entirely because of the movie itself but because this series has been so important to me for so long. The village stuff and "fake" Rei were excellent. I liked that the fight at the end was fake at that solution in the end was... forcing his dad to actually talk to him.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Midjack posted:

It cashed the checks the first three wrote.
Yeah. A lot of ups and downs from 1.0 to especially 3.0 where the downs were a question of whether they would be able to make good on it and I was very happy with how it ultimately wound up. Every now and then I think about the "So that's it? Neon Genesis Evangelion?" "I don't remember saying Evangelion" Simpsons meme that was posted here and just can't help but smile.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Vandar posted:

Hm.

Loved it

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Vandar posted:

Hm.

For a product that took 25 years to reach its final final conclusion I thought it did it really well and it was emotionally moving to get to see Shinji and Co have a future free from all the bullshit their now canon multiple lives and timelines housed. I would say I found it cathartic and enjoyable.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the youtube algorithm just suggested a 3 hour 15 minute video entitled "the hideaki anno problem", which feels like a big swing and a miss from youtube, cause i watch hbomberguy videos, and i watch eva videos, but good lord i am not going to watch that video

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That doesn't sound like an Hbomb video and I'm not sure I'd want to watch any NGE youtube analysis video anymore.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Arc Hammer posted:

That doesn't sound like an Hbomb video and I'm not sure I'd want to watch any NGE youtube analysis video anymore.

oh it's not, it's some rando i've never heard of, i'm just saying youtube has some reason to believe i'll happily sit through a 3 hour spoken word fugue state

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
It’s a good video op.

Generally they do videos focusing on auteurism in the anime industry (hence, the Hideaki Anno problem), and really try to bring to light the collaborative nature of the process. The princess mononoke video was really a good deep dive into the production process as well.

It is far and away not analysis of the work but analysis and description of production. That video is kind of an overview of Anno’s work up to that point focusing on the production and collaborators.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Rebuild 4 is one of the most meaningful films I've seen in my life, and I have a really deep respect for it. It's a very generous movie, extending grace to everyone in the story in a way that feels very deeply heartfelt. You can sense the years and years of maturation between End of Evangelion and Rebuild 4. The ending was very deeply moving to me--it's hard to put into words how affecting it was, as someone who has identified with Shinji and who has has struggles with my parents as well.

The music is outstanding. The village sequence is like a magic spell--everything from the setting to the execution of it is so unexpected but feels like such a perfect direction for the story. The Hand of Fate insert song sequence in particular was when I knew I was watching something special.

The biggest issue the movie has for me, though, is its production limitations. It's a beautiful movie, but I get the impression that in order for it to be finished, the crew had to make some major concessions in terms of animation. I personally think the CGI mecha battle sequences fall completely flat. It's a real shame, because Asuka's battle against the mass production units in End of Eva is a high-water mark for animation. When you go back and watch that sequence, it is still as technically impressive and viscerally engaging as ever. The battles in Rebuild 4 simply do not work. It thankfully is self-aware enough to incorporate it into the script, but it's a shame.

I think as a whole, Rebuild 4 has somewhat limited visuals but really capitalizes on the emotional bonds the viewer has with its characters. The visuals end up relying a lot on conceptual strength rather than technical strength. Like the CGI rei head is very silly, but it conveys a genuine sense of otherworldliness and a kind of "yeah, whatever Gendo's trying to do here seems kind of futile and doomed from the start." I think there are some other examples of this, too. When Shinji is talking to Rei and the show is playing in sequence behind him--that's not impressive the same way the surreal imagery of Instrumentality is impressive, but it is moving to the viewer, because the film understands the emotional bonds the viewer has with the show. Same for when Shinji is sitting on the shore with the adult Asuka.

That said, a lot of the environmental art is outstanding. I think Rebuild 3 and 4 are visionary in their post-apocalyptic landscapes. There are some scenes that are beautifully composed. Anno's approach to storyboarding was really interesting--the empty live action set that appears in the film was used to stage scenes with live actors, and he would basically have the actors perform the scenes over and over again while he filmed them from various angles to try to find the most interesting compositions to animate.

The one scene that I adore in terms of its animation is when Shinji is sitting by the shore and the art gradually simplifies--the "sayonara, all of evangelion" scene. That sequence is perfect.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i didn't care for most of it but the village stuff is up there with the high points of the original series

also Kunihiku Ikuhara was right: Anno should have showed Rei living out the rest of her life and dying peacefully as an old lady surrounded by her grandkids

Well, they did release art of her and Kaworu as adults with their son riding on Kaworu's shoulder, so they got halfway there.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/h1twom4n/status/1700656038381301863

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wow, that's stupid.

Gendo's not remotely narcissistic. He doesn't think he's worth poo poo, except as a tool for bringing Yui back.

Actually, that's kind of the problem.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Wow, that's stupid.

Gendo's not remotely narcissistic. He doesn't think he's worth poo poo, except as a tool for bringing Yui back.

Gendo Ikari is like an inferiority complex stack overflow error where he feels like he's such a worthless piece of poo poo it gives him carte blanche to gently caress over everything and everyone he wants to or needs to because he's irrelevant here.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

chiasaur11 posted:

Wow, that's stupid.

I think you are reading this joke purely as an Eva fan, but it's also making fun of drama subreddits. People on r/raisedbynarcissists would definitely be willing to diagnose Gendo with narcissism.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

The REAL Goobusters posted:

GKids finally has 3.0+1.0 UHD Bluray and regular Bluray for preorder:

https://store.gkids.com/collections/evangelion

Just got an email that my order has shipped! Excited to watch this movie again.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Is the rebuild Asuka always a clone or just after she gets probably killed in 2.22?

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

FunkyAl posted:

Is the rebuild Asuka always a clone or just after she gets probably killed in 2.22?

Always, the flashback scene suggests that by the time she appears in 2.22, she's the last remaining Shikinami type clone, the others having failed out of training/been destroyed

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91LMQrsKAtQ&t=911s

Timestamped. Someone managed to recover the original English dub of the third Rebuild movie before Khara redid the dubs.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sounds like someone ripped one of the screener discs that went out to theaters for the very limited theatrical run that followed the costal con showings. Glad it's out there once again.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They're not "as" lost as the theatrical dub of 3.33 but it would be nice if the pre-Khara dubs of the first two rebuilds became available again, as impossible as that would be to do legally. The disks for them still exist but they're out of print so it's second hand stuff only.

Flutch
Jun 26, 2008

EoE coming to AMC theatres in US on March 17 & 20! 🥰

Flutch fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 22, 2024

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
I had absolutely no idea the latest Eva movie had two short films included in them. I love how they took the opportunity to add nothing except showing why a girl got a pink hair.
But I did absolutely love that it showed the failed third impact and people freakishly turning into Evangelions. That's super harrowing poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/titangoji/status/1762160681183244777?t=bs3ydlaQSIQlw_FkLaoyzQ&s=19

It's not coming to Canada so I'm out anyways but I do wonder what it would be like watching with a big audience.