Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

There's literally an episode called "Hedgehog's Dilemma"

Shinji wants to be social. He does! He just isn't sure how to interact with others in a way that won't be damaging to either party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Scyantific posted:

Yep, gonna have to watch this one on shrooms. :catdrugs:

...you don't automatically?!

I watched this on LSD once and good grief the piano duet in 3.33 gave me some ~emotions~
it's honestly better without drugs in my opinion.

E: also that trailer was BS. I want my fanservice, dammit!

the escape goat fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 5, 2014

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

SHISHKABOB posted:

i just fufcking love this whoel dgoddamn show its like so amazing i love it so much in a totally personally way that is like so deeply connected to my life and my growth as a person and I love it so much I lveo you evangelion so mcuh

I used to watch eva and post on benzos too!

really though I hope you continue your commentary.
also what happened to the guy who was watching it for the first time, did he ever finish it? Bisse or something.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

loss.jpg
the gift that just keeps giving...

(it's so hosed up)

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Eva thread dies. Eva thread rises. Death and Rebirth.

Are there any girls in this thread who can sing?

...what for?

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

I've recently finished watching this series for the first time (the first time I ever tried, I only got as far as episode 13 or so). I've written a review.

:mediocre:

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Introduced a friend to Eva last night. His biggest takeaway was "how the gently caress are you not freaking out right now because there is a penguin with a bath towel just chilling in this drunk girl's apartment"

He asked me to introduce him to a show like BoJack Horseman and I figured hey, they're both about deeply confused people in an environment they'll never be truly comfortable in, desperately trying to figure themselves out and learn how to create healthy connections with others.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

CodfishCartographer posted:

Off topic, but the closest show to Bojack that I can think of is Moral Orel. The first couple episodes are a bit rough and overly cartoony but it quickly gets into the same mindset of Bojack - realistic and broken people with lovely pasts trying and failing to do good.

let’s be real here- it gave me another excuse to watch NGE.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

the Sahaquiel fight is fully sick and I will not hear otherwise!

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Midjack posted:

= Someone found Spike Spencer’s old blog

...is it pretty yikes?

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

SHISHKABOB posted:

I've fallen asleep with that menu playing lol

Waking up to that menu on loop at 3am is... an experience.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

https://twitter.com/octillerize/status/1142096822464319488?s=21

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

this rerelease is reigniting the “what the gently caress” feelings I have toward the college roommate I loaned my Platinum Collection DVDs to who suddenly fell off the map :mad:

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

first viewing of any new eva content should be blown out camrips with three different subtitles that make no sense, viewed in a darkened computer cavern

every viewing tbh

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

MadRhetoric posted:

on some form of mind altering substance

oh fuuuuuuuck no. I would lose my poo poo during End of Evangelion at least 30 times.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Evangelion-related things pop up in the strangest places, but this video of ice skaters performing to a live band playing A Cruel Angel’s Thesis is something I never knew I needed

https://twitter.com/se2ds/status/1288169609988911116?s=21

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Aergo posted:

Speaking of weird Evangelion merch, I got the Eva Tamagotchi (Rei version). You raise an angel, and if you do a good job, it causes Third Impact!

I just ordered one, I'm excited! The fact that it'll grow a random Angel is rad.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Invalid Validation posted:

That’s neat too bad they’ll never bring it out in English.

Bring what out in English? the bucket?

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Rewatching episodes 25 and 26 it struck me how much those episodes just straight up tell you all of the themes of the series.

it's wild, but so many people go to that point in the series without actually getting it until it was spoon-fed to them.

On a different note, I got the tamogotchi (evatchi?) like a weeb shithead and it turns out it's not just Angels that hatch- I hatched a unit 01!

GET IN THE loving EGG, SHINJI.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

there's a bit of a debate in a slack channel I'm in; some people think that the scene in the alleyway with Misato and Kaji after the wedding is them gettin' it on, and other folks think that it's simply him helping her while she's barfing her guts out.

Has either one been established or is it up for interpretation?

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I've always thought it was her barfing as well, but people are weird and interpret stuff in bizarre ways. Like, yeah, Kaji is a scumbag but I can't imagine him actively railing her while she's in the process of barfing.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I just got my boyfriend started on Evangelion and man do I feel like a shithead every time he has a question and I just stammer “uh, wait and see I guess?” or “yeah, they ain’t gonna bother to explain that part”.

he is absolutely hooked though! massive relief since I always worry that he’d hate it.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I finished watching it with my boyfriend today and he quietly asked "...can you please make it make sense" after ep 26 ended and I gleefully responded "nope!"

Thankfully 1) I didn't get dumped and 2) He's down to watch Death/Rebirth and EoE. If he isn't hooked by EoE I won't try to get him into the Rebuilds because we're in a LDR and FaceTime is limited so I've gotta prioritize.

So glad he stuck with it after realizing I conned his rear end by saying "oh yeah, it's a robot show, you'll love it!"

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I’ve showed Eva to many, many people. I always do the full series, then Rebirth, then EoE

Why the gently caress does anyone think skipping 25 and 26 is a good idea oh my god, that’s just an insult to the viewer’s intelligence. I do appreciate that you’re willing to admit how blasphemous that idea is though.

He did catch the frame where Asuka has an eyepatch and is looking forward to how that comes about.

After digesting it for a few hours, he digs 25 and 26 a lot more. We’ll watch Rebirth next weekend then EoE a few weekends after that.

the escape goat fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 8, 2021

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

if there happens to be any anime/joshi crossover fans here, I'm cracking up at Maki Itoh singing A Cruel Angel's Thesis

and stretching beforehand, haaa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEAlmvhi0UY

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I’ve read some old forum posts on other sites and it is wild, WILD, how deep people get into it and desperately try to create connections that just aren’t there.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

thanks! i don't even know if there was really much of a real point to that post it was just fun scrolling through cool old information i wasnt familiar with over the weekend and noticing all the similarities in the show. this thread has some great observations and wanted to add some stuff that was new to me before final comes out.

that post fuckin' owned, thank you!

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Adding to the “make sure you have no plans after watching 25+26 and EoE” because hoooo boy, it’ll need a bit of digesting.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Fungah! posted:

if you didnt binge eva + eoe nd then go into an existential coma for two, three days have you ever lived

I think a goon posted in here forever ago about how they were gonna chow down on some shrooms then watch EoE

did we ever hear from them again

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Wittgen posted:

I have a friend whose first exposure to Eva was seeing the third rebuild movie.

They were confused but positive.

:stare:

did they watch any other part of the series?

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Happy Landfill posted:

I tell you what, listening to that song on repeat while your tits deep in a depressive episode is a poor idea and I do not recommend it :shepface:

I’m glad you made it through that because :stare:

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Flutch posted:

EoE coming to AMC theatres in US on March 17 & 20! 🥰

my boyfriend has no idea what Eva is about other than robots, has never seen a single scene, and I want to bring him to see it in a theatre.

the idea of his intro to the series being the hospital scene tickles me in a sadistic kind of way so I’m doing it

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I cracked and started the show with him and he’s absolutely enthralled; we watched the first 6 eps in one go and I decided that was an appropriate stopping point. we’ll definitely be caught up by the time EoE pops up at the cineplex.

I hope it’ll be subbed; anyone know if they’re releasing the sub or dub?

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

End of Eva in a large theatre: good
End of Eva in a large theatre with other people in attendance: :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

there was a guy right next to me air-drumming and fist-pumping at every opportunity and making swooshing noises during any action scene.

and whisper-sang Komm Susser Tod. the whole thing. and he wasn’t the only one!

it’s wild to me that people find it acceptable to act that way in any movie. this isn’t Rocky Horror, fucksake.

oh also my boyfriend called me a monster for even considering bringing him in to watch EoE blind. which, I mean… he isn’t wrong.