Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Arc Light posted:

That was unsatisfying, yes. Same thing in 3. Just free floating evas with absolutely no sense of weight or inertia, flying around in what may as well have been outer space. Real shame, considering how amazingly well the series, and Rebuild 1 & 2, and especially EoE managed that.

Not just no weight or inertia but also no narrative weight, context or stakes. They destroy countless robots out of an endless amount that were just introduced seconds before and just swarm around in circles or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
What is the current opinion on the directors cut episodes for showing newcomers the show? It's been a good while but the main points I can remember right now are

For: shows the lilith's legs growing back

Against: spoils the imagery of big white Rei and uses some sped up EOE footage for her which would kind of ruin that moment in the movie?

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

Not that the bad takes ever stopped but it is funny seeing a bigger uptick of the "Anno made EOE because he hates Otakus" hot take on social media now that it's back in theaters.

So how much validity is there anyway to "anno made EOE because it's the ending he wanted to make", "anno made EOE out of spite", "EOE is the real ending", "show ending is the real ending", "EOE and show ending are actually the same" and "shouldn't there be snow in EOE?" ?

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The story I always heard was that the production team being so late on turning in tapes that the scene of Misato and Kaji loving got to broadcast at 6PM on a weekday lead to gainax getting a boot put on their neck by the censors, who flatly stated that all scripts had to be approved before being animated or the show would be cancelled, and they rejected the original versions of 25-26 for having imagery that was deemed too reminiscent of the aum shinrikyo gas attacks.

The story I heard was the budget was cut because of violence? Possibly in the fight where the dummy plug is used? And that the gas attacks story meant they had to rewrite an earlier episode, I think the one that ended up being the power outage one? I could probably just look it up but I guess we're sharing the nge urban myths we grew up with now.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
She's sending some mixed signals over the course of the show, she may not be entirely well mentally, and maybe even a teenager.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
She eats several Evangelions why doesn't she have a big belly at the end

I mean wouldn't that be so funny ha

Ha ha

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
On my last rewatch I realized the show does not do a lot to set up Yui caring very much about how Shinji is doing. I suppose there are discussions to be had what the hell she thought was going to happen after making him watch her, basically, die.
Why one of the more critical people of their doomsday plan was not indoctrinated into their lore and plans from childhood (or at very least prepared like Asuka was) is a good question too, at that point.

(of course the real answer is that it's so that the plot of the show can happen)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Which AMV did the "evil gendo" thing that used the EOE shot of unit 2 getting shot at by the military with Gendo's face put over it