Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crisis
Mar 1, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the first thing i saw when i opened that article was "EoE replaces episodes 25+26" and then i promptly closed it again :can:

that's not what the article is arguing though.

quote:

End of Evangelion is structured as two forty-five minute “replacement” episodes for the previous versions of episodes twenty-five and twenty-six.

The author puts "replacement" in square quotes, to distance herself from that reading, while acknowledging that the structure of the movie has led many people to that interpretation.

At the end of the paragraph she states her thesis very clearly:

quote:

Both of these endings represent two sides of the same coin in what it means to battle depression and both are honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crisis
Mar 1, 2010
I thought the movie was very messy. It seems like the movie hits a vibe that people were desperate to see from Eva, and so they are willing to overlook the very clumsy execution. For what it’s worth, I get what they were going for in this movie, I don’t hate it or anything, I just wish it had been done better and more thoughtfully.

My least favourite line in this movie is Asuka informing Rei that she is literally programmed to fall in love with Shinji. I feel like it undermines the characters’ arcs, in all the Rebuild movies. What a pointless piece of world building.

Crisis
Mar 1, 2010
End of Evangelion is still the only ending that I think resolves Shinji's character in a way that's satisfying (maybe it lays it on a bit too thick, though). This movie has some good moments that are emotionally resonant e.g. Rei delivering food to Shinji. But overall it feels too much like wish fulfilment. It felt too much like Shinji just resolves everyone's problems with magic at the end. Which also undermines the ending of 3.0.

I want to stress that I didn't want Anno to just remake EoE beat for beat, I'm glad he tried something more uplifting and I'm happy that so many people seem to have gotten something out of it. But I think that it could have been better executed. Even the parts that people are praising like the instrumentality sequence.

Crisis
Mar 1, 2010
I lost sympathy for Asuka Shikinami after she maliciously tries to trigger Shinji's PTSD by pointedly not warning him about Rei Q. Which makes me wonder about the other times she triggers him "by accident".

Crisis
Mar 1, 2010
In general I liked the action scenes in 2.0. But I didn't like the Asuka introduction fight. It feels very rushed - we are introduced to the angel (which looks real goofy) and it's dispatched within a few minutes without much trouble.

I think the idea of the scene is that it establishes Asuka as a prodigy pilot (something that is very much "told, not shown" in the original TV show). I like that Asuka is introduced as independent of Shinji in this version, whereas all of her memorable fights in the TV show involve her co-operating with or being rescued by Shinji. But the way it's executed also makes the angels feel weak and non-threatening.

Crisis
Mar 1, 2010
I always read the Gendo/Rei relationship as abusive. There's the scene where Shinji enters Rei's apartment, puts on Gendo's glasses (taking on the "role" of Gendo for the scene), Rei emerges naked from the shower, and he falls on top of her in a sexual suggestive position; Rei doesn't react, as if it was a normal thing that happens to her. It's difficult to read this scene and not walk away thinking that Gendo is abusing her. Then there are multiple scenes of Gendo leering over her naked body. And in EoE there's a callback to the apartment scene when Gendo grabs her breast, which would seem to validate the abuser reading.

Whether or not Shinji, or other characters, understand it as abusive is more ambiguous - Shinji is admonished by Rei and later by Yui (while inside Unit 1) for not trying to understand his father. (Although Shinji does reach out several times over the course of the show, like when he calls Gendo only to have him hang up and close the line.)

Crisis
Mar 1, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Rei's inner life is consistently underestimated by other characters in the show -- who consistently suffer the consequences when she finally acts of her own will or refuses to be their tool.

Yeah, I wish we had seen more of this out of Rei Q.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crisis
Mar 1, 2010
I don't think it makes much sense, in terms of plot or characterisation, for Yui to reject Gendo from instrumentality.

From a plot perspective, Yui deliberately isolated herself from instrumentality. That was the purpose of her plan to become a part of Unit 01. She could not have rejected Gendo because she does not have the means to do so. The Unit 01 that takes a bite out of Gendo is deliberately drawn off-model, with exaggerated monstrous features, which means that it's not the real Unit 01, which is somewhere else at the time. During instrumentality, we see people experiencing the closure that they need to surrender their ego to instrumentality. Gendo's final scene fits the same pattern that is established in those scenes.

As for characterisation, in all of the interactions between Shinji and Yui throughout the TV show, Yui tries to push Shinji to engage and reconcile with his father. Yui is portrayed as someone who believes zealously in the potential of humanity, and in Gendo in particular. Her feelings towards Gendo are pity and remorse. If Yui does resent Gendo in EoE, this represents a major break in her characterisation, but it's not set up beforehand, or acknowledged by Yui herself later in the movie. On the other hand, we know that Gendo has complicated feelings towards his family, and believes that he does not deserve their love. So again, the scene makes more sense to me as the resolution to Gendo's internal conflict (surrendering to despair and annihilation through instrumentality) than as a revenge scene for Yui.