Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

So I've just re-watched the series, which I've done a number of times since I saw it for the first time as a pre-teen. I think seeing it when I was too young to understand it has colored some of my experience with it, but I still find myself struggling to grasp a true understanding of the plot. I've read wikis and fan theories, and I think I have the most clarity on it to date. But there's something I'm still struggling with.

Gendo from a narrative standpoint is clearly shown to have ulterior motives in contrast to those of Seele. But aren't they both aiming to implement Human Instrumentality? Is the conflict that Gendo wants to jumpstart it prematurely, and that he's doing it for selfish reasons? Is Seele just at odds with him because he's being sketchy and keeping his motives secretive? I guess I'm struggling with whether or not there's actually any conflict throughout the course of the series re: Gendo vs Seele if they're both ultimately aiming for the same thing and they both ultimately get it. Unless I'm still completely misunderstanding both parties' motives and I still don't understand the series at all.

I don't know if any of this needs to be spoilered as the show is 25 years old but I figured I'd play it safe as the Netflix version is still fairly recent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

I guess that's kind of where I landed and I feel it kind of undercuts the weight Gendo is given as this conniving mastermind, ultimately. If we work under the supposition that he knew what Seele is up to it seems like he could've just gone along for the ride and gotten what he wanted, but he ends up loving himself over by grasping at some sense of control. And actually now that I think about it that is a pretty good encapsulation of his flaws and he ends up getting what he deserves. So I think I understand it a little better as a narrative device now. I think EoE hammers this home a little better which I haven't rewatched yet but I remember enough to support what you guys are saying. Think I just needed to talk it out. Thanks!

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Yeah I just watched this episode last night so it's still fresh, but basically what BB2K/Tuxedo Catfish said. The third Rei is arguably fully aware of her circumstances, she says something along the lines of "I think I'm the third," and the first thing she does when she returns to her apartment is try to crush Gendo's glasses in her hands and then starts crying. I think that the third Rei is both fully aware of her use as a tool by Gendo and maybe more in touch with her emotions. Her defiance of Gendo shortly after that makes sense in that context, I think.

blossommirage posted:

How many of the rebuilds are on Netflix?

None, I think? At least not here in the US. I don't think it's available streaming anywhere right now.

JoeGlassJAw fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 17, 2020

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Need to give 3.0+1.0 a second watch because like all endings to eva, I'm gonna need multiple viewings to absorb it. But it did illicit some emotional reactions from me, threw in some twists I wasn't expecting, and overall left me satisfied; happy, even. This is from the perspective of a 30-something who watched the OG series way too young and have lived with the impact (heh) ever since. Think a non-spoiler blocky review from this perspective might be helpful for people in the same demographic, which I think a lot of SA might be. Watch it!

The documentary made me pretty sad though, honestly. Eva spoke to me as a kid because I had/have depression. Anno clearly wrote a lot of his own struggles into it, and is channeling what he's feeling now into the rebuilds. The rebuilds read significantly more optimistic than the original, and while I'm sure he's made great strides, I feel Anno is still a man that battles with himself and, by extension, his craft. He is a difficult man to watch on film. I've struggled with my art, I've watched friends struggle with theirs. It is tough, man. He doesn't want to be filmed, he seemed very uncomfortable throughout. It was so cool to get a behind the scenes look but honestly I have such love for the series and respect for the rawness and vulnerability that eva demanded, that I almost wish the documentary hadn't happened and Anno had just been left alone. It was, however, very very cool to see how other huge names in the industry had such respect for him. As an American I don't have a good sense of that and it's nice to know he's as well regarded in Japan as I think he should be.

imo Eva delivered in 1996 with the end of the show, again in 1997 with EoE, and again now in 2021 with the end of the rebuilds. it will all always hold a special place in my heart.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

found a Brazilian website that hosted a bunch of 3.0+1.0 concept art that Yamashita apparently posted on twitter. didn't realize he was the Anima guy, I can really see the influence in the new movie now that I realize
https://evangelionbr.com/2021/10/05/evangelion-3-01-0-artes-conceituais-e-esbocos-de-ikuto-yamashita/

JoeGlassJAw fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 7, 2021

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

i watched the series for the first time completely sober bc i was like 12, have watched it throughout the subsequent years in many altered states, and most recently re-watched it mostly drunk after a big break up

i can say with certainty it is good no matter what flavor of inebriated you are or not

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

misato is not even 30 and is the captain (and then major) of japan's defense operations against monsters capable of killing the world. she's exactly as burnt out as she should be and the fact that she can put the "high-functioning" in high-functioning alcoholic is a mark in her favor given her circumstances imo

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

loving kingtheninja's live reactions; some really insightful takes imo. i think it's fun for those of us who watched this as kids to hear how people who are watching it for the first time as adults are interpreting it, because theyre usually pretty close and it speaks to how developed a work it is imo

wrt to the rebuilds; rebuild 1 is unskippable full stop if youre planning to watch them all. the rebuilds are in direct conversation w the original series and while 1 is largely a re-tread, thats the point, and is the foundation for how the next three escalate. each subsequent movie deviates more and more from the original series while also sprinkling in references to EoE and leaving it up to you to pick up on them. frankly when 1 came out i think it was like, "you remember this right? cool. pay attention." because things are not the same, and Anno is taking advantage of your assumption that they will be in order to take you by surprise, i think

as far as it being uglier i am also a huge fan of the traditional cel animation style of the og but rebuild 1 is by no means ugly. the production value is off the charts and while you might have an opinion about how cg in anime looks (again, i prefer traditional), i think it set a decent bar for the industry standard for how that should look and its worth appreciating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

the escape goat posted:

I cracked and started the show with him and he’s absolutely enthralled; we watched the first 6 eps in one go and I decided that was an appropriate stopping point. we’ll definitely be caught up by the time EoE pops up at the cineplex.

I hope it’ll be subbed; anyone know if they’re releasing the sub or dub?

tickets at my theater say "japanese language" so it should be subbed