Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Teabiscuit posted:

I think this explanation makes end of evangelion my favourite anime.

Same here. I love the fact that he went the extra mile and actually drew that imagine of Anno standing on a summit, two middle fingers up in a sea of angry fanboys, dick waving in the air. He could have just left it as a metaphor, but the visual image really helps clarify exactly what Anno was trying to get across with EoE.

I'm not even being ironic right now. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Just noticed that the follow up wasn't posted, so here it is!

It's unscripted and mostly responding to viewer discussion over the episode, though he does go over some new stuff, like how he couldn't figure out a way to write about Shinji's "nice guy" speech without having it be forced in, so he tried to edit the video in such a way that people watching would notice.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Abalieno posted:

I wonder why the TV series hasn't been re-released in BD yet. Is there some sort of embargo? Everything else got a BD release.

I remember reading out in the vast wilds of the internet that some Japanese anime producers don't have the original animation for some animes anymore, only copies at slightly better than DVD resolutions, so the reason most old anime like Cowboy Bebop and Eva haven't gotten the blu-ray treatment is because the originals simply don't exist anymore, so we'd only ever get DVD quality releases if they tried.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Just finished the movie myself.

They really should have just made another series. If they didn't want to muck around with TV censors, then go for OVA's, I know Hellsing managed to pump out at least 10 of those.

Really, my biggest beef with the movie is that they're focusing entirely, drat near exclusively, on Shinji, and he's about the least interesting part of Eva for me. I was fine with that during the series, because they had lots of room there to expand on all the other characters and the world as a whole. We had an episode showing Nerv had competitors who were also trying to build giant robots, and that was cool. We had an episode where the Evas were entirely absent from the fight with an angel and Nerv had to defeat it all on their own, and that was cool. We had episodes focusing on Asuka, Misato, Rei, basically everybody in the extended cast got at least a few minutes of development here and there, which made them all feel like real people living in a real hosed up world that existed beyond Shinji and his troubles, and that made Shinji himself more real and believable too.

But here... I needed a break from Shinji and I didn't get one until the credits started rolling. I wanted to know how the time skip affected everyone else. I wanted to know what remained of the world beyond the devastation that Shinji saw. I wanted to know what happened to everybody else in class, at Nerv, in the rest of the world. I wanted to know what this new enemy is if they're not Angels. I wanted to know what happened to Asuka, Misato, Ritsuko and Sakura aka Touji's sister during the last 14 years. I wanted more to this story beyond just Shinji's POV.

Entitled, sure, but that's how I feel about this movie. It gave me this look into a new Eva story, but didn't give me any room to explore because everything is about Shinji and nobody likes Shinji in-universe so nobody tells him anything. Very frustrating.

Excellent job on the emotional turmoil thing, though. Even more reason to want another series, Anno has gotten really, really good at getting the emotion on screen across to the audience. I'm half convinced that half my frustration is just Shinji's that I unknowingly co-opted from watching the movie and having everybody treat him like poo poo and tell him nothing. I just wish he'd use this power for good, rather than trolling. :v:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Terrible people make wonderful things. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

AmiYumi posted:

Sorry, but THIS will always be the #1 Evangelion YouTube experience. (Hit the "caption" button, obviously.)

That was really, really funny until my roommate walked in on the sex scene.

Spiritus Nox posted:

I wish. I really wish. Super Robot Wars is nice, but my kingdom for a decent mech action game that makes me feel like a mech pilot instead of Lu Bu or whoever.

Xenogears 2, you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APWTJMyM4qg