Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Amstrad posted:

I just caught up with this whole Rebuild thing and watched 1.11 and 2.22 and I gotta say, anything that makes Shinji into a somewhat likeable character is doing it right. At this point I've decided to forget that the original series exists at all and treat Rebuild as canon.

Stop watching Rebuild. It ended for you (unless you understood why Shinji did what he did in the beginning of EoE).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So am I the only one that thought EoE isn't a troll and just Anno wanting Evangelion's true 25/26? I guess it's because I went straight from 24 to EoE, and I was a heck lot more forgivable on why Shinji was hosed up and apathetic considering he just crushed literally the only other person that loved him personally probably a few days ago.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Are there even any decent fansubs of 3 out yet? I was under the impression that it's still all camrips.

There's one out somewhere if you don't care about quality I guess.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'd imagine Gunbuster was easier to save for blu-ray since it was an OVA and Eva wasn't rail-roaded by sudden pull of sponsors by the end of the show's run.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I would bet a large sum of money that the people that like Rebuild in the states think it's a fix of Shinji "being a pussy" and will hate the third movie for "making him a pussy again."

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Cubemario posted:

Why can only specific people pilot eva, and did they ever explain why it has to be a specific age?

People born after 2nd impact can only pilot Eva.

Also their mothers' souls power them. I'm assuming Eva-00 is powered by another copy of Rei inside, or a copy of Shinji's mom.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Boy that's gotta suck to be used twice by the organization that replaced you with a doll. One via the brain matter, the other by the soul.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Third Impact is heavily influenced by the method of ignition. Angels turn it on, Humans get wiped out. If SEELE does it, the real instrumentality begins. Gendo's twist puts it in his court.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Megafunk posted:

Well, he is the character designer, not the director of the series. Maybe this is how he felt the the original series should have ended? It sort of does feel like a cop out but that's just because it so "safe" compared to you know, EoE. I guess we can add this to the list of alternate universes now.

Well making it safe and happy is ironic considering he made a bunch of other arguably more darker choices than the anime like Kaji's backstory, killing Toji off, having Kaworu kill a kitten, and giving Gendo an AT field while having Misato suicide via Grenade.

And keep in mind the 18 years involved cutting DOWN the number of Angels by like 4 or 5.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Just read the last chapter. Hah! I've seen better and more realistic storytelling for a "Happy ending" from more terrible alternative Eva stories.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

I find this oddly satisfying after years of rolling my eyes at people insisting the manga was better.

But Shinji's more assertive! You know, like he dosen't have crippling depression

-most people that like the manga/rebuild 1+2

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I feel like it ruined Shinji for me, and comes real close to ruining Rei for me. But I have a question anyways; so basically the 3rd impact happens and wipes out the rest of the world? Why does Shinji and Asuka survive though?

Because they are the only ones (that we see) willing to get away from instrumentality and brave through the terribleness that is human interaction.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Except for Misato, Asuka, and Shinji, most of the VA's are from Funi's crop. Even Rei.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Ak Gara posted:

Personally I think dubbers need to be personally invested in the character they're voicing. Nothing sucks like a person that comes across like they're reading the words, not saying the words. Really takes me out of action scenes.

I think she did a bang up job as being Asuka's voiceover.

If the dubbing process of an anime allowed time to do that with the pay not out of a garbage dump, that would be more common. But it's really just a hellhole of the lowest barrel for voice-acting.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Was it "Suddenly Gainax were assholes" or Gainax having no funding since the late 2nd half of the series when their funding was pulled from sponsors?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Srice posted:

Gainax has never been that good at handling money and Anno was a co-founder of Gainax so I don't think it's the former!

What series besides Eva have they lost work due to money issues? Kare Kano was an issue with the manga author and Gunbuster was done black-and-white on purpose (One animator I talked to said the way Gainax did the last episode was more expensive than what they did in the previous ones).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

The only thing that didn't feel Japanese about it were the characters and the generic Hollywood hero plotline. Everything else felt like it could be directly compared to something in Eva.

Considering the reviews and the CD sub-forum, I would disagree anyone saw them as not Japanese. I've seen and heard more use of the word "shounen" from actual reviewers in audio podcasts than I've seen in professional websites for the last few years combined.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

I'm also a huge fan of the blackout episode.

It's such a jarring episode because it's a Ghibli episode both in artstyle and tone.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

A large reason (IMO) why it's not as accepted is because most people looking to watch a show are not looking for a realistic look at what depression is and why hosed up things happening to a kid does not end in miracles and victory like Gurren Lagann.

You have those same people that called Simon post-Episode 8, Eren, etc. also to be "too emo" or whatever. It's just not what people are looking for in their free time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I forget most of the stuff in the Eva manga once AT Field Gendo entered the picture.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The blackout episode was unique in that it was drawn by Studio Ghibli. Go back and look at the faces, it's very unnaturally smooth frames.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Anime Sandwich posted:

Ive watched the series and EoE and im just wondering what was the difference between Gendos plan and Seeles plan.

Gendo's king.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

where did I say it was "not really good"

thx

SHISHKABOB posted:

It's pretty fun how bad the first like third or quarter of the show can be at times.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

my favorite episode is the one animated by Studio Ghibli because it's so jarring

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Wade Wilson posted:

Which episode was that?

11th episode. You notice the Ghibli-style faces whenever they emote hard.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

Eva was still really, really flagrant with its frame-saving and reused cells, way beyond even normal budget-saving stuff.

Well they weren't on a normal budget, they had theirs pulled under the rug when sponsors pulled out and their president was possibly laundering money during the time. And probably the only time they actually ran out of budget, though it still gave them the stigma that that's their gimmick.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Isn't Gantz the one where super powerful aliens show up and they talk like edgy atheist teenagers?

I...don't think so, unless you're talking about the vampires which were anime-only.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The eva guy did music for kare kano, who then used the same music back into eva. It's weird.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

In Training posted:

Alright I'm glad I'm not insane. I knew I recognized that music from somewhere.

The only reason why I noticed was because I was splicing in that exact same song in eva videos, and then 2.0 came out and I went "Waaaaaait a minute."

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I kinda wish FUNImation would do a re-dub like Viz did with Sailor Moon, but I'm not sure if Not-ADV still has the dubbing rights for the TV series.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The really lovely era of dubbing when ADV love taking liberties with stuff outside of the voices.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Anno is suing Gainax for unpaid stuff.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

The screening location might be misremembered, but I’m willing to believe the gist of that story. Hell, I want to, because it’s hilarious.

My friend tells me Japanese movie watching culture discourages making any noise, to the point that she had to stifle her screams while watching Stephen King’s It there. So it makes me laugh that Japanese execs were here and freaked out about American audiences laughing at their movie’s translation.

Get Anno to a movie premiere screening of a Madea flick

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

https://twitter.com/evangelion_co/status/114308137625985433

"Opening 10 minutes and 40 seconds of Evangelion 4.0 will be revealed on July 6th, 2019"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

To be fair, there's been some really bad dubs out there.
Like, for example, any dub where the characters insist on using japanese honorifics, despite not speaking japanese. It's like I'm back in middle school, surrounded by people who think "the bishies are so kawaii desu," :negative:

Literally still used today in video games, especially recently released Judgment Yakuza last week.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Dubs made people realize most animes are lovely to actually look at for 24 minutes straight, movement wise

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You're missing the tweets where she goes "I also voice yukiko who you fap do. You can't escape me!"

Fan: This is why I use subs
Winlee: I did the subs, too!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Pyrotoad posted:

Honestly the only dub VA I'm not a fan of in the new one is Asuka. She's severely lacking in the :black101: energy Tiffany Grant had and I can't decide if that was just a direction issue or a lack of experience as a VA.

Bad voice performance nowadays in dubs is mostly due to the director. VA's have no or little context to the scenes they're doing, so it's entirely reliant on the director having a good enough handle to write and direct.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

A lot of rape talk in that rap sheet huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You're so easily baited by his gimmick, it's sad

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)