Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

You know, that's actually quite an appropriate thread tag. :haw:

Anyway, reminder to new people reading the thread, do not head over to the evageeks forums if you value your sanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

1karus posted:

I'm surprised no one pointed out that the 3.33 bluray/DVD release is 04/24/13

It was pointed out in the previous thread. Unless that date is of some significance that I'm unaware of.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

UberJumper posted:

I just finished 3.33 :wtc:

A few questions:

Why did Wunder get created? I get it was created to destroy nerv's EVA's but why did that happen?

Also when kaworu shows shinji the spinning moon, there are tons of evas. Where did they come from? I don't understand anything really that happened there.

Also jesus christ poor shinji.

Because Misato and the rest of NERV found out about Gendo's true intentions (use Shinji to achieve his version of Instrumentality to reunite with Yui). Also I guess they're going under the assumption that if an EVA is the only thing that can take an Angel head on, then the opposite must be true.

The EVAs that are shown are what I assume to be failed versions. It's been a while since I saw the camrip so don't quote me on this.

And yeah, Shinji is just getting shat upon constantly in this movie.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Hey just a big FYI, the manga has in fact moved along this whole time. Just read through the manga's whole Instrumentality sequence. Pretty good stuff. Basically the same as EoE, but this time Shinji does manage to save Asuka from the Eva Series, and Gendo just dies, he doesn't get torn in half by EVA-01. Aside from that, Shinji's pretty level-headed this time around, managing to be a badass by saving Asuka and still gets his whole breakdown/redemption scene during Instrumentality.

One of the chapters said "Continued in May" so we might actually get some closure?! :woop:

Here's a Mangahere link. Might want to start from Chapter 84.2

E: Huh, I didn't know Asuka was a test-tube baby in the manga.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 25, 2013

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

It's also possible that they went the same direction as Rei and Mari is in fact a clone of Asuka's mom. Except the kicker is she's a more successful clone compared to Rei because she has a personality and other defining traits as opposed to Rei's doll-like demeanor. That could also explain why she was able to pilot EVA-02 so efficiently.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Wait did they specifically mention that he has absolutely no sync ratio with EVA-01 anymore? I might have missed that part, which confuses me because he was able to sync with Unit 13.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

WitchFetish posted:

Well, I didn't understand poo poo, but looking at the preview, I say I'm ready for more fanservice and EVA CQC.

Seriously though, I have so many questions : What's with the thousands of HUGE skulls in the NERV basement? Why does Asuka have some sort of demon eye that sometimes can be seen through her eyepatch? Why didn't they age? Why was Shinji in that weird three dimensional cross shaped satellite? What was SEELE's objective? Were they AIs? Is Anno just making fun of us at this point?

1. It can be assumed that the skulls are either failed EVA remains, or the remains of the people who were killed during the events at the end of 2.0 (something about transcending into infinity and failing).
2. That's probably a result of her contact with the Angel that took control of Eva03 in 2.0. They had her under quarantine and probably didn't completely remove the mental contamination from being influenced by the Angel.
3. Curse of Eva. Translation = Fan Service (gently caress all the otakus)
4. Probably to keep him from doing any more damage. Shinji hosed up the world pretty badly during his berserk run.
5. I can only assume it was the same as the original series: unify humanity in a god like existence.
6. From Gendo's monologue, it can be assumed they're a mish-mash of both human technology and angel influence. Prototype transcendentals maybe, maybe they were the first to fuse both the fruits of life and knowledge.
7. He probably is. All while rolling around in piles of Yen.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

The Riddle of Feel posted:

The lesson of the aborted third impact in 2.22 is that if you're going to become a god, you don't bitch out halfway through.

But he didn't bitch out? :confused:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I don't know, I think they're referring to him as a specimen simply because they don't see him as human anymore, considering that he basically became a quasi-god while trying to save Rei.

Also, I never understood why the gently caress Sakura is alive but Toji, Kensuke, and Hikari aren't. Then again, by that extension anyone in the vicinity of Eva Unit 01 should have been wiped out completely, including the Nerv staff and Gendo.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

ACanofPepsi posted:

I always thought it'd be neat to show what happens to Eva pilots and their sync-ratio as they age. Like you NEED to pilot an Eva young the first time to make the connection, then the "age limit" is less strict, so you can be 20+ and piloting the Eva, as long as you first synced with it when you were 13-14. The link will eventually grow weaker and weaker until by late 20's/early 30's there is zero sync ratio, and you just can't activate your old Eva anymore.

Then the series follows a grown up Shinji using his cloned Son/Rei hybrid as a tool to try and get back into unit 01/his mother basically paralleling Gendo's arc and causing a monumental freakout when he realizes he's become his father.

Of course the Curse of Eva stuff makes all that moot, but I'd like to see what happens when the pilots get older, since they made such a big deal about the need for specific ages.

The Angelic Days manga does exactly this. It shows the pilots aging, but only mentions that their aging leads to their sync ratios going down, attributing it to puberty or something about hormones. But really it just uses age as a way to show how Shinji and Asuka eventually deal with their feelings for each other. It also gives some story background on how Gendo and Yui met.

E:

Regalingualius posted:

I'm honestly of the belief that Naoko's is the soul that inhabits Unit 00. A death where we're never shown exactly what happened (did she commit suicide, or did Gendo kill her?), an intimate relation of sorts with Rei, and Unit-00 seeming to target Gendo during its' first on-screen berserking. And in regards to the test from Ep. 14, well... Who else but Shinji would serve as the permanent reminder of how Yui had one-upped Naoko in regards to romancing Gendo? As for targeting Ritsuko... I honestly dunno. :v:

Naoko committed suicide after she accidentally strangled Rei I several years before the events of the anime (after Yui's accident of course). There's a parallel of this in the series I think (or maybe just the manga) where Ritsuko almost strangles Rei II

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 14, 2013

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

Sorry, didn't get a chance to clarify because I was posting on my phone and in a rush at the time. What I meant was that I wouldn't have put it past Gendo in the slightest to have made it look like she'd simply committed suicide, and had actually somehow or other figured out a way of transferring her soul into Unit-00 while still leaving a body behind for him to throw over the rail. Given that he'd privately admitted that he saw her and her romance with him as nothing more than a way to keep her around as one of his tools, it's not all that hard to believe he'd see sacrificing her to serve as the soul for Unit-00 as acceptable.

Granted, I fully admit a lot of this mostly comes about simply because they didn't show on-screen what'd been heavily implied to have happened. :blush:

Well, it's probably certain that Rei I had something to do with Naoko's heath. Naoko strangled Rei I because she said that Gendo called her an "old hag" behind her back. Maybe he did it within earshot of Rei I because he probably knew Naoko would snap?

Either way, there's quite a bit of talk that when she realized what she had done to Rei I, Naoko was horrified enough that she may have killed herself for that reason.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Wouldn't there be another clue as to whether Rebuild is a sequel given how SEELE is? In the original series/EoE we see them as flesh and blood humans, but in Rebuild they're sort of a mixture of human souls embedded in technology, given how Gendo simply shut them down in 3.0. (spoilered in case some of you haven't seen 3.0)

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Whoever said the MAGI weren't present in Rebuild, go back and watch the first movie. The scene where Shinji sees Gendo speaking to Rei before they run the re-activation tests on Unit 00, they mention transferring test data over to Melchior.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

(In response to manga spoilers.) Man I'm rooting for a happy ending in Rebuild but I cannot even imagine those words coming out of Shinji's mouth. Maybe it's less ridiculous in context but that reads like a parody.

You gotta remember that in the manga Shinji is a bit more assertive and confident than his anime-counterpart. I mean he beats the poo poo out of the entire EVA-series and tells Asuka that he saved her because he made a promise to Misato.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Huh. So the Evangelion manga (y'know, the one that's been running for 18 years) finally ended.

Shinji takes control of Third Impact and resets the world. Everyone is now living happily in regular Tokyo. Shinji is there trying to get into a high school. He runs into Asuka and has a Cute Moment and Keisuke and has a friendship moment.

The last lines are Shinji talking to himself: "Yeah, I'll try my best. It's up to me to find the path I want to take. The way forward might not be straight, it might twist and turn. It might rain, and the wind might blow. But the sun will still shine on the road ahead. My future unfolds forever ahead of me."

The End. Happy Ending.

Did you read a translation or did you get a raw? I have had no luck finding a translated version of the final chapter anywhere.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, that was pretty drat well done. Between that one and this older amv I'm pretty torn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcsGOZuB_gs

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Turns out Gendo only wanted to start Third Impact because he could never find a razor that gave him a comfortable shave.

Should I spoiler that?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

ACanofPepsi posted:

Steel Batallion sounds super fun with that huge controller and no save games. Maybe verging on the frustrating side but definitely a cool risk to take on a game.

I'd like to play an Armored Core game but I heard they're all bad:cry:

I had a blast playing AC III and ACIII: Silent Line. They were much better than II, IMO.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

I just finished watching this show for the first time. I have never been so enraged by a TV show than when they play the it was all a dream in the last episode. Even if baloney pony is awesome.

I would watch the wacky high school antics version of Eva in a heartbeat

The Petit Eva manga is pretty cool, and so is Angelic Days. It's about as close to wacky high school antics as you'll get with EVA.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

PonchAxis posted:

My biggest beef about 3.33 was that we don't really know much about what happened in the year Shinji was away except for a few things. I wish they would have focused on more time with Misato and them and less piano time.

My one big hope for 4.0/Final is just for more mindfuckery. Don't let me down Anno. :v:

He was missing for 14 years:ssh:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Ak Gara posted:

Is that Fullmetal Alchemist? I can see why they call him that.

That's Ed, and no, he's not the Fullmetal Alchemist. That title goes to his brother.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

So in the Japanese dub of Pacific rim, Rei Ayanami's VA is voicing the one Japanese girl, Mako. Somehow I find this really amusing.

Well they are bringing in some of Japan's biggest VAs for this.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Zeruel posted:

If Pentacost isn't voiced by Gendo's VA I will be disappointed.

Commence disappointment

E: Holy crap, the guy who does the voice for Sakata Gintoki is the VA for Raleigh in the dub. :lol:

Here's the full cast list

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 23, 2013

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I think they blame him for two reasons: Fear and Resentment.

They fear him because he's an example of the potentially disastrous results that can come from uncontrolled emotions. They also fear him because, like it's been said already, he took the most dangerous weapon of humankind and went beyond operating protocol, achieving a transcendental state with (again) disastrous results. They fear him because they fear the unknown. They don't know what he's capable of now and whether he can be controlled or not, and that scares them.

They resent him because he's a constant reminder to the fact that they were played by Gendo the whole time while they were at NERV. They thought they were doing a good thing by wiping out the Angels, but then got blindsided when they found out what Gendo's true goal was. Therefore, Shinji serves as the constant reminder of that betrayal while in the Wunder. Asuka in particular has a massive amount of resentment towards Shinji (symbolized by her punching the glass between them), mainly because just when she was beginning to open up and accept others, she was let down by the one person who she thought would be willing to do whatever it took to save her (the EVA-03 incident). Presumably she found out that this same person went and nearly destroyed all life on earth for the sake of another, without regarding the ramifications.

That's my take on it, anyway.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

It was posted a while back, in YouTube form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUamHEvVQy0

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

So what does it mean when Fuyutsuki says that Yui is the control system for Unit-01 in Rebuild 3? Is her soul still the one inside or is she similar to an operating system for the EVA itself?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Oh god we're going to have a meltdown come EoE. Can't wait :unsmigghh:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Oh my god I am laughing and crying right now. These reactions are just that good. :unsmigghh:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Seriously man, we could probably do a whole video series on YouTube just filming people's reactions to Evangelion.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

TARDISman posted:

And a couple months after Eva Live Action, we'll have Cowboy Bebop with Keanu Reeves as Spike.

Go Cumberbarch or go home.

Scyantific posted:

Found this on Facebook. Apparently, it's Benedict Cumberbatch as Spike from Cowboy Bebop???

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Zeruel posted:

Guess we're not getting Robin Williams as Gendo now...
:smith:

Honestly the worst part about Robin kicking it :smith:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Yep, gonna have to watch this one on shrooms. :catdrugs:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Gonna be EoE all over again, except with better visuals, and maybe another strangling scene.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

First two rebuilds cover episodes 1-18/19 of the series, with the major plot elements largely intact (Shinji's first time in an EVA, the fallout of that occasion, Asuka's introduction, the big teamwork thing between all three pilots, the EVA-03 disaster and the resulting outcome). The big changes in the first two movies are Asuka is the Unit 03 pilot instead of Touji, the Shinji/Rei relationship dynamic is expanded a lot more than in the series, and Shinji, not Yui, is the one to invoke the Super Eva Berserk mode when fighting Zeruel.

Rebuild 03 goes in a completely different direction that can only be described as :psyduck:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Vermain posted:

Alright, everyone pack it up. We're done here. We don't even need 4.44. This is it.

:vince::vince::vince::vince::vince:

Absolutely perfect.

E: You Can (Not) Hyuk

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Too Lazy to Stop posted:

You guys seemed to enjoy an Evangelion opening parody I made a few months back, so I decided to make another. This one's about the Steam Summer Sale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKiMYH9bHcY

You Can (Not) Trade For 30 Days

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Here's a more important question: why was Unit 0 yellow and then blue?

I'm assuming it had something to do with suffering extensive damage during the fight with proton-cannon angel so they just decided to go ahead and completely outfit it for combat capabilities (it was only a test unit up until that point).

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

So Nerv essentially houses Adam and whenever they make an Eva they take a clump of its big white mass and stretch it out and mix it with a dead person's corpse. So in order to pilot an Eva efficiently the soul must be familiar with whoever is piloting it and the stronger the connection the better the performance.

If this is true, then why doesn't Shinji's father pilot the Eva instead of putting his son at such dangerous risk?

Probably because a mother's love is the stronger connection.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

HoneyBoy posted:

I love when they include live action poo poo like that, MGS2 did it and it's the best MGS game in the series

I will cut you.

MGS 3 is the best MGS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Davincie posted:

check out /a/

Holy poo poo :laffo::laffo::laffo: