Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Are there even any decent fansubs of 3 out yet? I was under the impression that it's still all camrips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

BD rips of 3.33 just started happening today. I bet we'll start seeing translations this weekend.

:neckbeard:

That's a massively pleasant coincidence, I just rewatched 1.11 and am gonna get to 2.22. I still really love the art and sound in these movies. They do an amazing job of establishing the scale of the whole affair, which does a lot to drive home how utterly out of his depth Shinji is.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, just watched. Really liked it. It was kind of a mess in some ways, but Evangelion has always been kind of a mess in some ways so who cares? I'd be happy I saw it just for how goddamn gorgeous a production it is - to say nothing of the payoff it might just be leading into. Spoilery thoughts below.

Jesus, Shinji.:stare: I mean really, just....Jesus. :stare:

On the one hand, holy poo poo did everyone except Kaowru and kinda Asuka spend this movie making GBS threads on him, and Shinji is trying so drat hard to be a worthwhile human being and all. On the other - GODDAMMIT SHINJI THE ONLY PERSON WHO UNCONDITIONALLY GIVES A poo poo ABOUT YOU AND WHO YOU TRUST MORE THAN ANYONE IN THE WORLD IS GOING 'HEY THIS AINT RIGHT,' DONT PICK UP THOSE loving SPEARS. Honestly - if Shinji's whole character couldn't be so easily summarized by 'in desperate need of a hug,' his ignoring Kaowru's warnings there, vague though they were, would be completely bonkers to me. As it is, it was just sad.

Also, I really, really liked Kaowru as a character - I see this as a big deal, too, because when I saw him in the series he was too aloof and mysterous for me to do anything other than wonder why anyone was surprised he turned out to be an Angel. His farewell to Shinji was legitimately kind of heartwrenching - though 'we'll meet again' could turn out to be a far crueler turn of phrase than Shinji might think in a series that's been teasing an Time-Loop sort of scenario so hard.

Bit confused has to how Kaowru is both the 1st and 13th Angels. Was he one of the 'Adams' from the first impact? And how did he become the 13th, whatever that means? Could he have been genuinely human for some stretch of time?

As for the Adams, it seems like Rei's new Eva was built off one of the Adams, as was 13. Wonder where the other...one? two? however many are.

Someone mentioned they'd like to see a series set in the 14 year timeskip - I doubt it'll happen, but I could totally get behind it if it did. There's so much bizzare poo poo in the new world - the huge sphere I can only assume to be a way-too-close moon, Eva corpses strewn about everywhere, giant skulls that don't seem big enough or alien enough to belong to Evas, that valley of loving massive teeth - that I'd really like to go into a bit more. In particular, I'm curious about precisely what state humanity's in at the moment. Obviously there's been a massive dieback, but there's also clearly enough people to form at least one entire fleet of Wille ships, and it's implied Nerv isn't running itself on five people either. Are there still cities? Is the entire planet as hosed as the Japan area?

Interesting how Nerv seemed to be using artificial Angels to fight Wille - the thing that was holding Shinji and those naval drones. Probably should have tipped Shinji off.

On that note - is it ever explained who put Shinji in orbit and precisely why they did it?

So, was Rei's voice at the beginning of the movie Q's voice, or the 'original' Rei? At first I assumed Gendo was having her play of Shinji's desire to see her to make him go with Nerv willingly, but seeing what a mook Q was for most of the movie makes me less certain.

Gendo is a loving bastard. gently caress him.

gently caress Seele too, though. Interesting that they appear to be AIs now. Presumably they're gone for good - though their boss seems at peace with the situation. Maybe he thinks his Soul will still be around for the Impact.

Still waiting on Mari to have a payoff - though we're at least getting hints of why she should matter now.

I wonder what the precise purpose of Fyutsuki's confession was - it was obviously orchestrated by Gendo, and I'm sure getting Shinji to want to take the spears was part of it, but I feel like there might have been more. Feel bad for Shinji though - 'you killed almost everyone you knew and love for almost no reason' and 'that girl you were probably at least vaguely romantically attracted to is both most likely dead and a clone of your dead mother - who by the way lives in your robot' are a couple of bombshells.

Even as spoiled as I was, I thought most of the movie was going to take place on Wunder/with Wille rather than with Nerv. A bit disappointed - I liked the little bit of Sakura we got to see and I wanted to see more of Wille. Probably going to get that in the finale, though.

I'm mildly pleasantly surprised that Asuka actually seems concerned about Shinji's well being in the end of the movie there. Hopefully she'll be a decent influence on him - assuming Shinji doesn't repeat the awkward wanking from his past life.

Like I said, I really liked it and I feel like it could be building to something really cool...in two years...or so...

:smith:

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 5, 2013

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ka0 posted:

Well I liked this. Too bad it goes back to autism Shinji at the end but there's a good reason this time.

edit: I also thought it was quite weird to have Misato at the end of 2.22 in full Shinji cheerleader mode only to have completely changed her mind regards his life. Makes me wonder what sorts of atrocities and bedlam the former Nerv crew had to endure in those 14 years.

What I'm really curious about is what the hell happened with Eva Mk. 6? It shows up at the end of 2 after being built up as the first True Eva and the implication that Kaowru will be taking it down to Lillith, then it shows up in Dogma impaled, petrified, and with an Angel crammed inside of it. It's a bit hard to say whether it was a parasitic Angel like Bardiel or Armisael, or whether Mk 6 always contained/was the 12th Angel, but either outcome combined with Kaowru's brief description leads one to believe it was used for a time, saw some serious poo poo and somehow wound up down with Lillith.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pierson posted:

Speaking of Evas what was the deal with the Mark 09? They kept referring to it as a 'Vessel of Adams' which I can't recall being significant at any point except where it tried to hack the Wunder, and even then they could have just said 'hey the Mark 09 is hacking us' instead of whatever weird master-servant thing they used. It was an Eva, it did nothing special, it got blown up, the end. Did I miss something there? Then of course there was the whole Mark 06 thing.

I mean I really liked the movie and I really liked how it showed us how terrifying the Ikari Shinji Apocalypse Romance Sing-Along really was, but it kind of feels like they set up a whole series of events in the timeskip and assumes we saw them before watching this.

That's actually relatively simple, I think. Remember how, in the flashback to 2nd inpact in 2.22, there were 4 giants of light instead of one like in the series. Those are all 'Adams' presumably. Wunder is referred to as 'Adams' ship,' and it's implied the Mark 9, as well as the Mark 13 and possibly Mark 6 and Unit 1, is built off of one of the Adams in question. Ergo, each Adam has the ability to interface with the Wunder. I think they allude to this being the reason they need Unit 1 to power the thing - it's either that or an attempt to leech of the godliness it reached after defeating Zeruel.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I think it's pretty interesting that We still haven't seen the Evangelion Unit-01 since it ascended to godhood. The only bit of it we saw was the eye and that was still spewing god-lasers around.

I'll be interested to see what happens to Unit 13 in Final. It seemed like Misato and company would have been able to recover it after what happened, and it doesn't exactly seem like the sort of thing you leave laying around for loving Gendo to pick up. Come to think of it, at this point I have to wonder what Final will even be about. I mean, it's obvious at this point that we're not getting any kind of direct retelling of end, yet the trailer still shows Asuka fighting off oodles of MP Evas. I'd like to say that either Gendo will be trying to recover either Unit 1 or Unit 13 to launch the Final Impact, or he'll have his own Impact trigger and Wille will have to launch an assault to stop him, but either way raises the question - if Gendo's end goal is Impact and Instrumentality, he had two shots to pull that off and neither worked, so why say things are still going to plan?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ACanofPepsi posted:

Didn't 1.1 the after-credits teaser for 2.0 show a bunch of scenes that never appeared anywhere again? And again with the 3.0 teaser? I don't know if you can count in anything in the previews actually being in the film.

True. Though I can't see where on earth else there is to go from here.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I doubt it'll happen, but I can see Rebuild being used in a satisfying way with what we have now. I said before, while I expect there to be twists, the story's very plainly set up for a final throwdown between Wille and Nerv to prevent/launch the Final Impact - SRW wouldn't really have to make up that much to give a satisfying conclusion to what we have now, IMO.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Undead Unicorn posted:

He isn't running away from his problems though, he's being just like her and confronting them head on. Just like her his agency makes things worse because like her he doesn't think through his actions.

Evangelion was about how retreating from the world and other people just made you lonely and worsened your problems. Rebuild seems to saying just recklessly charging forward in life and not trying to understand yourself and the world around is just as dumb for the same reason. You'll only make yourself lonely and hurt others.

That seems to be the thesis I'm getting as well. It seems like the original series ultimately had a message of "Hey all you potentially depressed Otaku/Shut-Ins/Misanthropes, I know life can suck but you really shouldn't give up on it or the people in it." It felt like the first two movies mostly recapped on that theme, but as we get later into the series I feel like they're adding an addendum of something like "Also, just because you engage with the world doesn't mean everything will be hunky-dory either - be considerate about your actions and how they relate to the social context in which they are performed and how they affect people around you and don't be a weird/self-centered jackass."

Or something.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

WickedIcon posted:

That would be :catdrugs: as gently caress even for this series if they had old Rei in the SDAT player.

On that note, what the hell is with the acid-trip sequence when Shinji and Kaworu play piano together? :psyduck:

...Bonding? I thought it was a pretty straightforward scene, really.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

bof_man posted:

So, I had a thought watching the movie...

What if Shinji was a clone ? It would explain the 14 years time lapse : Nerv was "growing" a new Shinji in the meantime. It would also explain why they were calling him "Specimen" on Wille, and why he had a serial number (BM-03).

The scenario kind of writes itself from Rebuild 2 : Shinji got tangified inside Unit-01, and instead of being restored like in the anime, they found out they could only extract his soul (you know those red balls you see in EoE ?). So Nerv left him inside Eva-01 for the time being, and Eva-01 got sealed away until they could host Shinji's soul inside a body.

Then Wille got created during that time. And, once the clone was ready, Wille "stole" it, along with Eva-01 and Shinji's soul, to preemptively prevent Gendo from using Shinji to trigger 4th impact. This begins the events of Rebuild 3.

Or maybe I'm just overthinking Neon Genesis Evangelion. Shinji was just untangified instead, like in the anime, and 14 years is just a meta reference to how many years passed between the anime and the rebuilds. Also because, sure why not 14 years ? :v:

I...that's...dude...:psyboom:

It makes too much sense.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Terminal Entropy posted:

I had noticed that with the spear too. I am wondering if it isn't something like a key: you can use it to activate or deactivate an Eva/God mode. I am wondering if that wasn't suppose to be the second spear that was missing at the end of 3 and if it was, it makes sense that it would be needed for the plan Kaworu had.

Hm. Indeed. Maybe use Longinus to Awaken Unit 13, and Cassius to keep it under control or subdue it before it became actively harmful.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

As far as ending speculation, I will say that if Anno decides to troll us I would love for him to do so by making 4.0 almost identical to 1.11, with just enough hints dropped in to basically confirm the 'Rebuild-as-sequel' speculation.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Eh. Kind of funny, but I feel like it misses the point. I mean, Shinji's utter inability to get laid/engage in healthy human interaction is kind of his whole entire thing. Shinji actually loving someone would be like Batman becoming fully comfortable with what he does and assured of his sanity - that's great and all but it's effectively ended his character.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

bof_man posted:

The way I see it, Gendo took the smile off Buddha for 10 minutes, which is a confirmation of how terrible Gendo is.

I will say, rewatching the Rebuild movies - Gendo really is an absolute black hole of morality, isn't he? It can be hard to really grasp just what a monster he is because I, at least, spend so much time wondering what his plan is and what it's for that it almost obscures the fact that, whatever his plan is and whatever its meant to do, it is either built around or is merely comfortable with psychologically torturting half the people Gendo interacts with and ensuring the end of humanity as we know it. I almost have to wonder where Gendo came from - you can see flashes of him in Shinji when he's at his most desperate or disillusioned, but (and here I stress I have only a general knowledge of the original series) Shinji very seldom seemed willing to hurt anybody the way Gendo is - those few times he actively lashes out at someone as far as I know come at the end of the series when Gendo has all but broken him.

Like I said, where the gently caress does an rear end in a top hat like Gendo come from? It fascinates me to think about, especially considering he doesn't have the emotional crucible of Nerv torturing him as an excuse.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I would think it would feel more deliberate regardless of what the creators tried due to the way it's playing off of the original series. Even in the new context provided by 3.33, events still play out in a way that's obviously meant to evoke paralells or deliberate divergences with events from the original series.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

On a somewhat related note - I was skimming through EoE for the first time yesterday and something confusded me - when Shinji sorties in unit 1 immediately before seeing unit 2's corpse and freaking out, the Eva has already formed these huge wings of light and summoned a thunderstorm and poo poo.

Is there any explanation for why it started doing that? I know it had Zeruel's core in it, but it didn't have the lightshow when it fought Armisael so that can't be it - and I really doubt that a depressed and broken Shinji had a good enough synch rate to make the Eva more powerful than usual.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Scales wrong? In Evangelion? I don't know man, that sounds pretty unlikely. :colbert:

Isn't there some scale chart showing how, if you look at various shots of Unit 01, it ranges from being smaller than a Gundam (so quite small by Anime Robo standards) to the size of the Macross Quarter or Daitarn or some similarly massive robot?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Bit of a tangent, but I just finished rewatching 1.11 for the first time in a while and I must say I'd forgotten just how much I like the climax of the battle with Ramiel. It might be my favorite stand alone scene in Eva, honestly. Pretty much everything from Ramiel counterattacking Shinji's failed first shot to Rei talking with Rei in her entry plug is just great. The slow, relentless pulse of the music slowly heightening the tension all the way to Shinji taking the shot, the awesome animation, Shinji picking himself up for another shot even as he's scared out of his mind, Misato standing up for Shinji to Gendo, and the voice actors all selling the gently caress out of their roles really makes it a joy to watch for me. I particularly like Shinji and Misato's dynamic at this point, Shinji's basically piloting the Eva for her at this point (when he has any concept of why he pilots at all), and despite her inclination to get vicarious revenge on the Angels through Shinji, Misato still cares more about Shinji than just about anyone else does so far - it's a little sad that she's more of a mother to him in 1.11 than Gendo or even Yui ever was, but it's I dynamic I enjoy watching.

It's also interesting to see the preview for 2.22 now that it's so long past - definitely a lot less misleading than 3's, but there's still some stuff in there that got pretty heavily reanimated or cut entirely.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ACanofPepsi posted:

I think Sahaquiel is my favourite fight. The actual fight is pretty short, but like Ramiel it's the buildup to the fight that is most impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSMMfQPMFIw

Just watch this poo poo, it's loving nuts. The Evas are a perfect combination of weightless and millions of tons. I love when 01 starts breaking the sound barrier, not even swinging it's arms anymore, and the shockwave sends a parking lot full of cars flying. Then Sahaquiel opens up, and those freaky black hairs/hand-holding things with the eyes look so demonic. It is letting out this red mist, and I really wish they would have showed the impact this had on people in the city, but it was probably already evacuated. It must be really annoying living in Tokyo 3. I never noticed 02's knee armour snapping off as it kicks the knives into the core. Nice touch. This is always the scene I show people who have never seen Eva before. Even if they don't like anime for whatever reason most people understand the appeal of something that bad rear end, even if it isn't for them.

Anyways this is my favourite Eva scene, second probably being the Ramiel fight as well as the massive scale of the power re-routing they had to do to make it happen. Blacking out ALL of Japan for a single particle beam shot? gently caress yes NERV can do that.

EDIT: The music from the Sahaquiel fight is Fate, and Destiny, both from the 2.0 soundtrack.

Sahaquiel was really drat cool, and it was cool to watch Shinji take getting his hands impaled by a demonic living meteorite like a champ and keep fighting, but it all went rather too smoothly to match the drama of Ramiel for me. Take Rebuild's version of Operation Yashima with maybe just a little bit of the build up before hand, and you might have a pretty good encapsulation of the entire series (except for some of the meta-commentary, but I've never found that nearly as compelling as Shinji's personal story, so :v:).

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Shinji's first go at Ramiel has a great character moment too. Gendo's just sitting there casually prohibiting Misato from ejecting Shinji and ruining Unit 1 while Shinji is screaming and crying to be let out of the plug.

It's always a good time to say "gently caress Gendo."

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Most of that's based off what we got in the movie, though. Really, the only thing I don't think the movie gave enough information about for me to basically get was how Unit 1 got put into orbit - and even that could be justified by someone (probably NERV or what passed for the rest of society following the impact) thinking Unit 1 needed to be sealed way the hell away, at least until SEELE or Gendo had a use for it/understand how to control it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Popcorn posted:

Can you expand on this? It's very easy to read her as a fantasy meek submissive woman (and legions of fans are apparently happy to do this) but I don't find that satisfying.

It seems simple enough to me - Rei spends most of the series being manipulated and even somewhat abused in large part because she's been conditioned to do so - to meekly submit to Gendo's whims.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

To be fair, you could read Shinji as developing romantic feelings for Rei. Certainly in Rebuild. I don't really find that too incestous since it's not like Rei is literally Yui (again, failing to see this is one of original Gendo's downfalls), but it's not as though there's any real-world basis for comparison.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I see that. I've little idea what would work for Shinji as romantic partner material, I'm just saying I don't find the idea of him hooking up with Rei THAT incestuous - and I still don't think the sibling comparison is entirely apt. We frown on incest in the real world because 1: it's tremendously unhealthy for any potential children and 2: family dynamics make it really difficult to establish a relationship that isn't based on some skeezy-as-hell power dynamics. I'm not sure how I'd describe the dynamic between Shinji and Rei, but I don't know that I'd call it familial - if only because Shinji (and possibly Rei) isn't aware of their biological ties and neither of them have a real idea of what a family dynamic even is.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I don't know that's entirely fair. You're going to expect marketing to accurately represent the themes and dynamics of the material it's based on?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

That reminds me - what do you make of GNR's appearance in 3? She's far too small to be a direct carryover from EoE, but unless Gendo was up to some weird poo poo over the timeskip (not unreasonable, I suppose) I'm not sure what's up with that.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I have no idea. Everything to do with Unit-01, the angel that merged with it, and Unit-06 is completely incoherent. Most of the other details about the timeskip can be reasoned out from things Misato or the crew of the Wunder say, but it's like logic breaks down the closer you get to the point of Third Impact. Which, to be fair, is exactly what Ritsuko told us would happen at the end of 2.22.

Fair enough - though did you mean to refer to Unit 13 instead of Unit 1 there?

The twelfth angel doesn't weird me out that much - the way I see it, the Angels probably continued to attack over the course of the timeskip (as implied by the complete absence of the eleventh) and Nerv still had an interest in destroying them. I figure Gendo sent Kaowru and the Mark 6 out to meet the Twelfth Angel (Probably before Misato and company broke off, since Asuka and Mari acted like they'd seen the angel before), only for it to merge Armisael style with the Mark 6 and descend to terminal dogma (possibly like the trailer showed! :haw:) before Kaowru went "gently caress it, this isn't going to end well" and impaled the Mark 6 to prevent it from fully initiating another Impact. Once Gendo has a machine capable of removing the spears, he'd necessarily need to kill the last Angel...because of SEELE/NERV reasons, I guess - hence ordering Rei to behead the Mark 6 and release the Angel.

I don't think there's too many holes in that theory.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh! I got confused because you were talking about the Angel that merged with it, which made me think of the Twelfth enveloping Unit 13. I'm not sure the thing that Asuka fought had actually merged with Unit 1 - I got the impression that both it and the container housing the Eva were manmade, and the Angel had simply been mounted on it to keep trespassers away. And yeah, that's definitely mysterious. Nerv is the most logical answer as to who would put Unit 1 in space under such heavy guard, but considering that Gendo could use it to launch an Impact and win his whole drat game, that raises the question of why not just store it at Nerv HQ - Gendo's clearly confident enough in his ability to keep Wille away or he wouldn't still be using the place.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think you're still thinking of the wrong Angel. I'm talking about the one that Mari and Rei fought in 2.22, that ate Unit-00 and Rei, and whose body (briefly) took on the form of Rei/Lilith when Shinji pulled Rei's soul out of it. Spaghetti arms angel.

It would help if I could remember any of the names besides Ramiel and Kaworu. :v:

Oh. Oh yeah. That's Zeruel/Rebuild's Tenth Angel by the way. I keep forgetting that Giant Red Rei melted into Unit 1 at the end there - it was only really apparent what was happening for a couple of shots.

What's so incoherent about him, by the by? I thought Zeruel was really straight forward - big bad angel kicks rear end and eats Rei, pisses Shinji off. Shinji getting sufficiently pissed off (possibly about Rei specifically from what Gendo said) pushes Unit 1 towards its awakening - which is finished when Shinji plucks Rei's soul out of Zeruel and the Eva merges with its remains. Cue armageddon/Kaowru.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Popcorn posted:

Yeah, but isn't it "OK" to perv over Asuka, because she isn't a passive sex doll?

She was in a coma - I don't know that you can get much more passive than that.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Popcorn posted:

2: "Asuka's pretty hot, huh, anime fans? Pretty sassy, pretty sexy? OK, you wanna see her boobs? Well, OK, but in this particular instance we'll make it unsexy because she's in a coma and you should feel bad for finding her sexy right now, but only right now."

Uh...yeah? There's nothing wrong with Shinji finding Asuka attractive - hell, that's probably one of the healthier aspects to his character. It only gets hosed up when he focuses on her as nothing but a sex object to the detriment of acknowledging or loving her as a person - as exemplified by (but not limited to) polishing his dick in front of her comatose body - or, say, creepy nerds jerking off over body pillows.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Riddle of Feel posted:

Also, hands in Evangelion represent the self or the soul,

I don't disagree with the rest of your post, but I'm interested in hearing more about this. While the Asuka scene and some other stuff in End supports this take, I'm not sure how you tie it in with, for example, the shot in the very first episode/early Rebuild 1 where Shinji looks at Rei's blood on his hand after he picks her up from falling off her stretcher. There's some similar shots where he has dirt/blood/mundane poo poo on his hands I can think of where reading Shinji as inherently blooded or dirty doesn't really make sense to me.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hm. I don't know about the soul, but those all make enough sense as tying the hands to the self. I'd noticed the HANDS motif before, of course, just hadn't put it into words that way.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Robert Denby posted:

Also, I am utterly confused about one thing in particular. Was the tease at the end of 2.22 done intentionally to completely subvert everyone's expectations or did they up and abandon what they had planned for the third movie and just do a completely different story?

There've been rumors to the effect that 3.0 had a huge rewrite, so yes. Although at least part of the teaser still sort of works if you interpret it as happening between movies - Unit 6 descending on Dogma and Nerv staff's incarceration in particular.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Mari is just completely inexplicable. I hope they have something planned for her besides Maaya Sakamoto collecting a paycheck but at this point I have no idea what it could be considering they've got one movie left and she's apparently just been hanging out with Asuka and the crew without anyone finding her weird.

There was that picture of Yui with someone who looked like Mari in the frame that might be hinting at something. Precisely what, I have little idea, but it could be setup for something.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Giggily posted:

Well she does have a blue glowing eyesocket.

Who says there's no eye under there?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ACanofPepsi posted:

So with the new movies, and PS4 around the corner, does anybody think there's a snowball's chance in hell there may be a next gen Eva game made? Any rumors floating around about that?

I was just watching the Titanfall trailer and the mech's are so meh.

I wish. I really wish. Super Robot Wars is nice, but my kingdom for a decent mech action game that makes me feel like a mech pilot instead of Lu Bu or whoever.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I said come in! posted:

How do you feel about the Armor Core series?

Does it have space battles? Because that's what I really pine for.

Or at least cool airborne battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If your idea of an Evangelion game isn't a Shadow of the Colossus style game in which you just fight the Angles with the cities/landscape getting destroyed all around you as you fight, military and support firing from everywhere, and maybe a co-op element where you fight alongside a friend trying to hit the angel's core then get out.

That's the only way I can see it really working. They'd have to make a bunch of new Angels to make it good though. SOTC had the advantage of all the bosses basically boiling down to "Find weak spot, climb to weakspot (possibly using some clever method of mounting or weakening colossus), stab weakspot." I don't see how you'd even have any meaningful gameplay for angels like Ramiel or Leiliel, let alone gameplay that's both fun and doesn't require a dev team to be able to make entirely new mechanics for each boss.

Plus, I have no idea what you'd do inbetween fights. Maybe Persona 4 esque socializing/training stuff? With more despair, of course.