Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Thank you, my life is now complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

If an Angel merges with Lilith, would that start a process of converting all lilim based life into Angels? That might explain all the giant eva-like skulls in 3.33.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Welp I just rewatched the series for the first time since high school when a friend lent me his copies. I forgot just what a horror show it is from about episode 19 on, and of course 25-26 work a lot better in context of the events of EoE. Surprisingly, I found myself really invested in Rei's character arc this time around. It was really touching that someone who is essentially part of a product line with an incomplete or copied soul actually became one of the most human characters because she truly understood all along what Shinji comes to grips with at the end, that to have a sense of self you have to have others to help you perceive that self. Such a great contrast to Shinji's constant isolation and his hedgehog's dilemma.

I'm not sure I can bring myself to watch EoE right away though.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Whenever Unit 00 tried to "talk" to Rei, it's usually a really large eyed, younger version of Rei, kinda like the one that Ritsuko's mom strangled to death. So there's like, some fragment of Rei's original or something in there.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Obviously someone removed the lance from unit01, everyone in the world except a handful appears to be dead (Kaworu mentions mass extinctions being common on this planet) and may have turned into big red, dead-ish, Eva01 clones instead of a sea of LCL (note that all the red corpses appear headless and the Lillith pit is filled with normal human looking skulls...although they might be EVA sized I wasn't paying that good of attention at the time).

Incredibly creepy is that not just the Eva corpses are red, but the entire environment of the destroyed Tokyo-3 is completely red as if everything were in the process of turning into core material.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Oh thanks guys. Now all I can think of is that this series is just a psychological product of Anno's menstrual envy.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Regalingualius posted:

As for the scenario, Gendo and SEELE more or less had the same plan until the end, though they did throw each other some hardballs (I.E. bringing down NERV's power grid, having Unit 01 absorb an S2 engine). At that point, SEELE wanted Kaworu to be the one that would merge with Lilith, while Gendo wanted Adam's embryo and Rei to be the catalysts. There was something about what would happen in Gendo's plan that SEELE did not want happening at all, though I can't quite remember what it was.

Was the EoE scenario with the mass production EVAs their backup then basically? It seems like they were relatively happy with the final result when their monoliths were being switched off.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

RebBrownies posted:

So was Lillith the god during second impact?
Are the Evas aside from Unit 1 born of Adam? But I thought Adam was an embryo? :psyboom:

What was the deal with the Lance of Longinus? I remember the episode where they put it in, and then when they took it out and threw it into space, but what was its purpose?

Adam was the god discovered/tested on in second impact, he was shrunk into an embryo. The discovery of the Geo-Front led to Lilith, which was predicted by the Dead Sea Scrolls that SEELE seems so fond of. The Lance is a fail-safe device that basically halts an impact in its tracks, or puts a deity in suspended animation like Lilith is shown to be for most of the series. Though gently caress if I know how the Lance(s) are used in EoE.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 4, 2013

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I definitely got the impression Kaworu was manipulating Shinji too. Something about the "Well, it *is* all your fault, you know... but you can make up for it!" speech. Like, if it weren't for the way that conversation went, I would've thought Kaworu was totally on Shinji's side, but with it in there, it just seems much harder to believe that Kaworu is truly altruistic.

If we're still going by the time loop theory here, there were scenes in 2.0 with Kaworu waking up in the moon (out of what, a couple of identical looking coffins?) saying how it's Shinji again, and that this time he will truly make him happy. He's aware of failing Shinji in the previous iteration, so his actions could possibly be in (what he believes to be) Shinji's best interests. Now if only we knew what actually would have happened with Kaworu's original scenario with the spears in 3.0... (another intrumentality scenario? reuniting Shinji with his loved ones lost in the timeskip?)

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Patter Song posted:

A friend of mine is watching the series for the first time...he's through ep 19 (didn't know much about it going in other than that it was a mecha show etc). He's very much pro-Shinji right now, but he wants to know how the "Shinji-Gendo-Rei love triangle" is going to resolve itself.

... Mom?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

So this kind of made me tear up a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFSfWT0ScAU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I remember a throwaway line about the Mark 6 being turned into an autonomous unit, so it seems likely that Kaworu wasn't at the helm when all the poo poo went down.

Ah here it is in the wiki

"Remodeled into an autonomous type, exploitation by the Lilin brought the unit to this state of ruin."

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Words about original/rebuild

I seriously love your interpretations of the series.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Bisse posted:

I have had family drama keeping me busy all weekend.

I hope you worked it out! Congratulations Bisse!

:golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Ka0 posted:

Wait wasn't Ritsuko's mom on Eva 00, the reason why it went batshit when Rei first piloted it.

The general theory is that it is the original Rei who Ritsuko's mom killed in a fit of jealousy over Gendo. (Eva 00 goes berserk and mistakes Ritsuko for her mom). It's super creepy to think that Rei is essentially interfacing with herself, or the "mother" of the Rei clones.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I wonder if that 3+1 implies they'll be revisiting the missing period between 2 and 3 while moving forward at the same time. Or maybe it'll just be a lucid dream between two apes swinging through the forest. And afterwards they sit down for a refreshing sip of TANG

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

OK It's kind of blowing my mind that the MP Evas could be what they repeatedly refer to as adams vessels. It would explain their ridiculous regenerative abilities. They even have the same hole in the chest where they pierced themselves with their lances...

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The MP Evas also used a Kaworu-based dummy plug, making them literally "Adam's vessels."

Also literally true in the case of the TV series. :v:
VVV

Hah, so Kaworu is an angel that houses a portion of Adam's soul. The dummy plugs are clones of Kaworu, which are in the MP Evas, and Eva 13 is a "survivor" of the Adamas, which Kaworu enters.

It's like a horrible russian nesting doll.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

notZaar posted:

It's funny how they call the Evas biomechanical weapons in the first episode but everybody seems to miss it (myself included). Then its a huge shock when you realize what they actually are.

And there's constant signs throughout the series of an intelligence underneath the armor, and the pilots linking directly into the nervous system, and that something in there is trying to primitively communicate and protect them... (well except Unit 00 which is a whooole other story)

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Cronodoculous posted:

"Well I know it ends with something good, because everyone's standing around clapping and saying 'Congratulations'."

This is beautiful

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

NGE was also my first anime (and one of very few I have seen), back in high school someone in one of my classes distributed some pirated VCD copies of the series, but it only went up to uh, I think the fight with Zeruel, so for a few years I was left thinking that was the end of the show. I don't really think I knew what to make of it back then!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Trying to actualize religious and apocalyptic horror themes into "it was aliens and they came to earths in their spaceships" was dumb as hell

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

It's beautiful

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

There's this additional self destructive theme to SEELE in a trapped loop killing their immortal selves also because they want to achieve immortality. I like it.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

VCD rips were ritually passed around my high school economics class, but only the first half of the show before the mindfucks start happening. I didn't see the full series till about 5 or 6 years later.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Die Sexmonster! posted:

I can't imagine. What was your opinion before seeing the resolution? (And right after?)

TBH I don't really remember much of an impact aside from talking with classmates about the nature of the angels and the cross shaped explosions and stuff. Pretty sure my reaction to seeing the full series through (not sure if I had my hands on EoE at that point or not) was pretty WTF and left me with a lot more questions than answers. It wasn't really till the 2nd full watch-through that I had enough of a critical language to appreciate the show. It's still the only anime I enjoy and watch every year or so.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Ak Gara posted:

4.0 is going to follow on from the end of 2.22, and explain how 3.0 came about and it's going to answer all the questions and make perfect sense.

This would be the most disappointing direction it could go imo

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Are we eva shitposting now? cause

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

In Training posted:

Subs > Dubs

This but I feel that a lot of people are attached to the English dubs, as much as I don't prefer them. I just hope there's some option to retain them the next time there's an actual release of a blu-ray set in the US.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

https://twitter.com/ActionZacku/status/1142130791624740864

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Cmon guys Shinji lived through a literal apocalypse that he was party responsible for. He's been wandering around on his own for an undetermined amount of time thinking he's the last person alive on earth. Yes, his mama told him that people can emerge from the ocean of tang if they wanted to, but up to that point no one has done so. Seeing Asuka lie there, catatonic and unresponsive, he probably has no idea if this is real Asuka or a figment of his imagination that he conjured up. These are pretty extenuating circumstances, and I always saw the choking scene as Shinji wanted to illicit some, any response from Asuka to affirm that not only is she alive, but himself as well.

edit: should we be spoilering this stuff idk

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Is this the weird self-help lady running for president

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

weast posted:

And I really like this quote from her Japanese voice actor: "Rei's beauty comes from the truth that she has feelings. When she cried, it meant the waters of the pool were coming out at last. The struggle to draw your feelings forth, the reconciliation between your surface and your depth—that, I believe, is where we truly become alive, truly become human beings. And when I found the warmth below the coldness in her words, I synchronized with Rei for the first time. And it felt so good that I want to say thank you, from the bottom of my own heart."

I really like this too.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Waypoint's new ep is up btw this should be a good one, they're already freaking out over ep 19 in the intro

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/match-3/vice-gamings-new-podcast/e/62513626

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Hey, I agree. NGE's worldbuilding is fairly inconsistent. Some aspects of the world went through a lot of changes during production and they managed to bind it together reasonably well with Conspiracy Jenga branded tape. I don't think Lillith actually existed in NGE prior to the episode Kaworu shows up. Before that, she was just Adam (Gendo being in Adam's hand was in EoE and the DC additions). She's not mentioned at all in the initial design documents.

Adam was explicitly mentioned in Asuka's intro episode though? When we next hear of Adam, it's from Kaji explaining it to Misato (who doesn't have all the pieces of the puzzle) and if you payed attention as a viewer, your bullshit detector should have gone off in that scene.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

yes yes YESSSSssss

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Wunder is Pen Pen.

Third Impact made him huge.

Wasnt there an image floating around showing a comparison of Wunder and a penguin's skeleton/body shape

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

how tf is penpen not #1

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Near Third Impact was aborted because Shinji’s wish to transform all of humanity into injection-molded plastic Eva figurines was wrong and ultimately fruitless. But the real money is in pachinko.

ahh the faiilures of infinity were just merchandising all along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

an hour drive to see EoE for me, definitely planning on this