Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
There's really no solid answer to that question. It is all really a matter of what you interpret it to mean. Some people think the endings are the absolute antithesis of each other, others think that both directly tie into each other. For what it's worth, I think they complement each other pretty well, but you'll definitely have to watch it to see what you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
I saw 3 subbed in a theater but there wasn't too much people so I guess it was alright. The only thing that stood out to me was when Asuka went 'Baka Shinji!' and this one group of like 3 dudes in the audience did a big dumb chuckle.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Why would you willingly post that to the internet

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
I got back from a trip to Japan a couple days ago

I went to Evangelion World in Fuji-Q Highlands

It was pretty disappointing

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

well

see you guys in the rei juice

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

In Training posted:

Yes unless you live in Japan and speak Japanese

AND have plenty of money to spend on poo poo you dont understand

i went to a second hand store in Kobe the other day and even used the complete set is over 20,000 yen

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

On one hand, imagine the dirty looks you’ll get if you ever have the temerity, the chutzpah to cough or clear your throat during a movie

it actually owns watching comedies with my friends here because a few layers of japanese people around us will get infected and start laughing too while the rest watch on in horror (i assume)

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

Ogmius815 posted:

I’m noticing that later episodes more frequently have cold openings.

those are only in the directors cut episodes!

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

Pretty good posted:

I thought it was 2 that was the really bad one and 3 was the one that was actually good but nobody watched bc of how bad 2 was

(This is hearsay, I have not watched either.)

I can't comment on 3 but yeah 2 was just so.... Nothing that I never bothered with 3

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

The climactic scene in instrumentality between Shinji and Rei/Kaworu where he learns his most important truth is absolutely beautiful. I loving love that music, too.

Man i haven't seen it for a year or two but just thinking about this scene gives me goosebumps/makes the hairs on my neck rise. The whole second half of the movie is maybe my favourite 40~ minutes of.... anything ever.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

Beefstew posted:

I can't watch the last 20 minutes of EoE without tearing up at something along the way.

same here but tbf i tear up at like every (good) movie these days

but just thinking about EoE again makes me want to rewatch everything

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
I don't know if GU is a thing outside of Japan, but they started an Eva Collab yesterday

https://www.gu-japan.com/jp/feature/evacollab/men/sp/

I picked up the Tokyo 3 hooded sweatshirt and a couple other shirts, they rule but are a little oversized so I'll probably exchange them

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
very sad that in a non covid world, i wouldhave already seen the movie in a theatre and understood even less than usual :'(

however, im very excited for whenever its announced again to take my gf with me to see it so she can translate everything for me after

i gave her a synopsis of end of evangelion and she thought i was making it up

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
in rei 3 she realizes she's the third rei and kind of becomes more of a like 'person' in the story, not wanting to just be a vessel used by gendo and co

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
You have no idea how big Eva is here in Japan and just how much merchandise there is for poo poo literally everywhere

One of my coworkers has a room in his house for all his anime collectables, he always buys 3 of everything, one for him, one for a gift, and one to keep in the packaging for his collection

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
You also got a free lovely toy scooter if you got a curry! I have the Nerv and Eva 01 themed ones under my TV lol

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
shes absolutely vomiting lol

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
backwards rear end japan is still making depressed rear end salaryman pack the trains at peak hour everyday during a corona state of emergency, you think theyd release things online before the cinema?

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
i cant wait to see 4 in the theaters while barely understanding any of the dialogue and making my gf translate it to me after

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Complying with the rules of a nationwide state of emergency is pretty pointless yeah

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Should I see this after work tomorrow? I'm not gonna understand most of the dialogue. But the visuals will be fun, and seeing it on opening site must be too

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Just got out of the movie. Seemed good!

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Too much fanservice in this movie tbh. Was a bit embarrassing.

My gf, who speaks the language but has never seen Eva, said she didn't understand anything.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
The song was disappointing tbh, it's no komm Susser Todd

It's crazy to think this is finally actually out. I can confirm it's a real, finished movie.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Small weird spoiler: when Mari sees shinji for the first time, she puts her hands over his eyes and said guess who and hints that it's a hot girl with big tits and glasses

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Regarding the another/alternative impact sequence, it's gorgeous again. In some of the fight scenes, there's a bit much going on. But the visuals of everything.... Tumbling down again, and then back up, are amazing. Some of them are shot for shot redos of stuff from EoE but with some things changed a bit. The giant Rei head is weird creepy cgi but looks perfect. The last 30 minutes or so is basically a remix of the second half of EoE. I think people are gonna be happy with it overall. It's kind of happy/more hopeful EoE.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
one cool thing was when ritsuko shoots gendo, its like a shot for shot, but opposite, version of when he kills her in EoE. its nice. then he scoops his brain up.
no visor gendo looks really cool too. his head hole kinda looks like a cross and the angel light inside looks really sick. its a cool visual

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
the more i think about the movie, the more i like it

i think 3 was done a bit a of disservice by not being release close/r to this one

its a really good goodbye, to all of evangelion

i cant stop thinking about it. thats a good sign.

might watch it again soon.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
That's how I feel itt

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Lol I opened the pamphlet thing at work today and was just like 'oh, just a bunch of nonsense. How evangelion'

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
hmmmm

maybe i should go back to the cinema with a camera

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
thats unit 1 and 13, with shinji and gendo piloting respectively

that whole sequence rules though. it flashes to situations all throughout the series/movies, including what seemed to be an intentionally lovely cgi fight, perhaps kinda poking meta-fun at the second rebuild. it feels so good when it goes back to some 2d animation eva fights.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Creepy CGI Rei-Lilith doesn't look anywhere near as bad and off-putting as I was sold on. How disappointing.

oh it absolutely does, this cam shot doesnt do it justice. just off putting though, it isnt bad at all.

it loving rules

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
tbh after the first 3 rebuilds, and the huge delays, i wasnt all that keen on seeing the new one. i thought i might as well go since there were still tickets left, i had nothing to do monday, wanted to see the opening night vibes and was still curious considering EoE is like my favourite movie ever

and i think they really knocked 4 out of the park. its been two days and i can barely stop thinking about it. its been worth the wait. i genuinely cant wait for everyone else around the world to be able to see this and share their thoughts and opinions

its not perfect or anything, but drat, they really did it.

goodbye, all of evangelion

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

My favorite meta-imagery from the anti-universe sequences was that it was all taking place on a sound stage with the Evas occasially crashing through backdrops for a peek behind the curtain. Then the sound stage gradually becomes less and less populated with set props as Shinji releases everyone from their guilt and sends their souls back to the regular universe and literally pulls down the shutters on their ordeal.

It was just really nice. :unsmith:

i think really nice :unsmith: is a perfect way to describe it. kind of fanservicey, but in a way that works for the movie's themes

theres a quick translation someone did of the subtitles going around, and it was cool to see i could understand a lot of the dialogue from context/visuals alone, with my lovely japnese only being slightly helpful. im looking forward to seeing it again with what i missed in mind too.

one small cute detail i havent seen posted anywhere: depressed shinji doesnt want to take his plugsuit off, so toji puts his old track jacket on him which shinji wears for the whole first half. its nice.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
please dont take everything you read in spoilers objectively

talking about 'pairing' is missing the point almost completely

fans of things suck, please enjoy art for its own sake

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
oh what app did you use? im keen to go again with the new version, would be nicer to understand a bit more this time

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Just watched the last one again since seeing it opening night in Japan

It was cool to see all the little dialogue bits I missed, but cooler to see that I got most of it on my first watch

A good and fitting end to rebuild

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

Lazy sunday ruminations:

Given the assumption that Anno's done, what else could they do?

My most horrific idea is a gritty origin story around Yui and young Gendo. There is nothing on the planet that i want to exist less.

I guess they could go back to MOTW with new characters but i don't think it'd be doable with the characters we already know

I mean, the movie literally ends with them saying 'goodbye, all of Evangelion'. Like, a character actually says that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Uhhhh it's a cartoon bro, they didn't actually make the ships