Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah Yui wanted to be a sign that humanity existed, even long after humanity itself was gone. We don't really know enough about her character to know why this was so important to her, or how she'll feel after a few quintillion years floating in space alone, but we also don't really know what level of consciousness she has in the eva anyways.

It's unclear what happens to Gendo at the end, he's the only person we see still bloodied and non-tanged during instrumentality, so it's fully possible that Shinji explicitly wanted him and him alone to be exempt from the process. However after seeing (what's left of) his corpse, we then see the three Reis standing and watching him - which is what happens before someone gets merged into instrumentality. I think his fate is meant to be deliberately vague and up to the viewer's interpretation. As for his motivations, Yui was seemingly the only person Gendo really connected with, and yeah his plan was basically to start instrumentality solely so he could see her again, and he seemingly didn't give a poo poo if anyone else was cool with instrumentality.

I always figured Gendo does get to instrumentality, he just has to go in a special way because he's a special kind of hosed up. Like how Aoba doesn't see someone he loves because he doesn't love anyone, the closest Gendo gets to love is Yui and Eva 01, and his self-loathing won't allow him to accept a lovely hug- the catharsis which allows him to enter instrumentality is being violently torn apart by the monster he created. His body doesn't goo right away, but it seems to be mechanically different for various people- Maya's hand pops off and remains solid, the SEELE guy just melts instead of bursting- and may represent that it's harder for Gendo than for the average person to be emotionally broken down enough to meld into a hive mind.

The intent probably actually was that Gendo doesn't get to go to Heaven, but that also raises a bunch of questions for me. If he's not joining Instrumentality, why does Gendo experience a hallucination and die at the same time everyone else is experiencing hallucinations and dying? Everyone gets slimed except for this one guy? Who decides that? Shinji? Does he even have that level of control over what's happening? Because he hates his dad? Would he not also hate the SEELE guys for destroying NERV, or like Asuka for rejecting him? OK now that I type that out, that raises the unsettling possibility that Asuka's on the beach at the end not because she wanted to come back but because Shinji kicked her out of Heaven...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU