Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.
Here's an interesting collection of translated interviews and so forth regarding Eva. Helps explain what's going on with the original ending vs. EoE, to what extent it was intended as a criticism of the audience, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

House Louse posted:

I'll add it to the OP. Thanks.
You updated the OP but forgot to actually add the link.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

I kind of got the impression from the first two that Rebuild being a "sequel" wasn't so much implied as blatantly stated. I mean, I'm kind of surprised there's even any controversy over it.

Also for what it's worth I feel like discussion re: EoE and Eva in general around here seems to focus excessively on certain shocking or controversial elements rather than taking in the story in a more holistic fashion. Then again I guess with such an old and well-known series most of what can be said probably has been, somewhere or other.

edit: I guess what I'm trying to say is it sometimes seems like 90% of the discussion of Eva is in the same rut of either talking about whether you empathize with Shinji or not, or trying to understand EoE - either the ending or whether it was meant to be some sort of "take that" against the fans. I feel like there's more to the show than that. Of course having said that it would behoove me to post some other discussion myself, but having only seen the series once so far I'm not the most knowledgeable.

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 21, 2013

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Just finished the movie myself.

They really should have just made another series. If they didn't want to muck around with TV censors, then go for OVA's, I know Hellsing managed to pump out at least 10 of those.

Really, my biggest beef with the movie is that they're focusing entirely, drat near exclusively, on Shinji, and he's about the least interesting part of Eva for me.
I just watched and I somewhat agree with you. The movie looked and sounded great and I enjoyed the plot and character development we got for the most part, but I also feel like it was a bit too tightly focused on Shinji's angst to the exclusion of other things that would have been fun or interesting to see.

edit: Also, this is something that's been an issue since the TV series, but it's weird for a series with such pretentions to psychological and symbolic depth to use so much technobabble.

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 28, 2013

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Attack on Angel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XCZoRI0YFw

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

What's that from?

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Vanderdeath posted:

2001: A Space Odyssey.

Goddamn, we actually have real life tablet computers as envisioned in 1969.
Huh, I've seen that but I didn't remember that scene. Probably because the tablet computer made it look too modern!

Even crazier is this sci-fi story from 1909 which portrays something resembling the internet and hikikomori-esque behaviour.

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at 11:12 on May 4, 2013

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

yellowjournalism posted:

Maybe on a certain level part of the point is that 3.0 is supposed to be the almost somber interlude, the disorienting head trip for Shinji to set up a balls-to-the-wall finale. I genuinely feel like I won't be able to pass any kind of worthwhile "judgment" on 3.0 until I see 4.0. Anyway great job Anno and team, beers all around.
Yeah, I feel like this is kind of a Matrix Reloaded type situation. Let's just hope that this time the payoff is a lot better than Revolutions was.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

This blog was linked in the Gargantia thread and has quite an interesting take on the 3.33. I do feel though like people are awfully quick to go, "Eva is designed to gently caress with all you nerds except me, the one guy smart enough to really get it :smug:". But yeah, there's definitely an element of that.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Neat Jazz cover of the Cruel Angel's Thesis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm2U5ThO1Lg

It didn't do much for me at first but the more I listened the more I liked it.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

For Australians:

There's an Eva art tour on in Sydney right now and Melbourne later this month: http://www.madman.com.au/eva/

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

The meta-textual elements of Eva are interesting but personally I was more impressed by (what you could call) the deconstruction aspects - how it takes this fantasy scenario of a big hero schoolboy robot pilot and asks "what kind of hosed up situation would have to be going on in order for this to actually happen?" It's taking the genre conventions of "ok we have we have to have super robots, we have to have schoolkid pilots, etc" and solving the puzzle of how to justify all that while still retaining at least somewhat realistic/logical human behavior. Ultimately that's what all the mystical business with mothers' souls and giant demi-humanoids is for (at least on a literal story level) - it's showing us why this scenario actually makes sense.

For the same reason, people who hate Shinji are (I would argue) misguided; his reactions aren't so unreasonable when you drop genre-thinking where the main character is reflexively an unflappable badass, and instead ask how a real kid would react when put into that kind of incredibly harsh and stressful situation.

Most popular stories tell us how (the author believes) the world *should* be - Eva tells us how it *is*. (And no, obviously not literally in terms of the sci-fi elements).

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

heiden posted:

Following up on that interview, do you guys consider the new Eva movies to have fanservice and cater to an older audience or not?
They had the whole perv-suit joke in 2.0, for starters, plus the overly-long-gag decontamination scene, plus naked Rei getting fallen on again, plus they're still wearing the same plugsuits... so yes.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Although I guess it doesn't reflect very well on everyone (myself included) who said "don't watch Rebuild without seeing the original series, it won't make any sense." :v:
If they were aiming to make the series more accessible to newbies I'm not sure they succeeded. For example the SFDebris guy seems pretty smart but he was still pretty baffled by Rebuild, especially the first one. 3.0 in particular contains a lot of stuff that seems hard enough to understand even having watched the originals, and probably nigh-impossible without.

Interesting that the interview claimed that they wanted Rebuild to set up Eva to be next Gundam in terms of long-running franchise. I wonder if they still plan to go ahead with that? If 4.0 sets up things well enough it might be worthwhile.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

When you watch Evangelion it should be infuriating and sad that the characters are helpless or without agency, not appealing; anyone who exploits or encourages characters staying in that juvenile state is at least doing the wrong thing, if they aren't portrayed as an outright monster.
Gendo is one thing, but I thought Misato was quite heroic (and probably the most admirable character overall) in the original series, despite clearly manipulating Shinji. I think a certain amount of desperation is warranted when you're trying to save the human race from an immediate existential threat (as opposed to Gendo where you're pretty much trying to cause it).

On that note it's quite amusing how the 3 main factions in the series (NERV/Gendo, SEELE, and the Angels) are all trying to achieve almost exactly the same thing, with the difference more in the details. I wonder if they could have reached a negotiated settlement without all the fighting and conspiring.

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 13, 2013

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

SHISHKABOB posted:

The Angels just sort of showed up and started attacking, I don't think there was ever a chance to negotiate. I also feel like Gendo's plans and Seele's plans were probably mutually exclusive, considering how much they butted heads.
True about the Angels, although at least some of them seemed capable of communicating. As for Gendo vs. SEELE, I guess it's hard to say because we don't know for sure what either side was trying to do.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Misato's half-exempt because she wants Shinji to grow up and even pushes him in that direction, she just fails because the framework she's working in is totally corrupt and opposed to her wishes. She is however still complicit in that framework and we see the results of that in EoE, where she gives up on Shinji becoming an adult and manipulates him out of despair and a sense of duty. By that point it may have been the lesser of two evils compared to letting SEELE do its thing, but it's still sacrificing Shinji on the altar of Instrumentality.
My point was more that Shinji's emotional development was a tertiary concern at best except to the extent that it contributed to saving the world. At times Misato seemed like the only person who was actually taking the situation seriously.

quote:

Then in 3.33 she abandons the system and uses its own tools against it, which is definitely a step in the right direction, but not yet totally extricated. It's also a kind of hilarious answer to "well, what else could she have done?"
I find it hard to call Misato's behavior in 3.0 a step in the right direction. That's a case where her emotional neglect of Shinji really does go too far to the extent that it makes things a lot worse.

quote:

Also SEELE was sufficiently opposed to Gendo's plan that they murdered everyone involved with it, and the Angels achieving their goal would literally wipe out all carbon-based life, so... I'm gonna go with "no."
NERV achieving their goal also wiped out all life (or at least all human life), so maybe the Angels would have been happy to let Gendo have his way and have humanity fly off into space as big ball of LCL or something, if only they knew. Who knows what exactly SEELE wanted that was different from NERV.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

For me the message I got out of EoE was more like "no one ever really changes, especially not for the better". I really liked it because while it's not strictly true, it's more true than most people want to believe or most stories will admit.

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

So in short I loved it. Also here is my rather spoiler-free summary I whipped up of it:

Haha, I enjoyed it too but that seems about right.