Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

cptn_dr posted:

Edit: Just finished 2.22. Jesus, that was a lot darker than I expected.
I don't know why but my neck just sprouted three heads, two Disney villains and The Grinch, and they won't stop doing this. It's weird, I can't imagine what could have caused it!

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Relin posted:

Why was Kaworu beheaded when he was? Were the things at the beginning and the one wrapped around Shinji's coffin actual angels or artifical were they controlled by Nerv wh-? When they had the scene with the white moon, were they implying humans had been turned into forms similar to the evas with all those robo corpses (and is that why Seele were brains)? Why did Asuka call the group lillin at the end (wouldn't she just say their names)? Why does this movie feel like they spent all their time programming cube physics for scenes like when they enter terminal dogma? Why is Mari such a worthless character? Whyyyyyyyyyyyy

The Necklace bomb was detonated the instant Misato got within range of it again, that's why it happened when it did and not right after Rei took Shinji in the beginning, he had gone outside of the detonator's range.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What subforum?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Rebuild 4 reveals that Shinji is actually just BoI's Isaac.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

tsuki posted:

At the end of the movie, this was the thing pulled out of the ground: http://i.imgur.com/gFciX8h.jpg
Some kind of moon chalice? I haven't seen the TV series since I originally watched it, so I was wondering if this was new to the rebuild.

It's a Moon-Kong with a handle on one end.

Cut to a shot of Space-Dog-God running across the cosmos to come get it and the delicious meaty treats inside.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

notZaar posted:

Nothing in this movie made any god drat sense and the writing was atrocious besides. And there weren't nearly enough action sequences to make up for this kind of wanking. Man, and I really liked what they were doing with the first two movies too.
Ah yes, the "surface perspective" view of Evangelion.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cubemario posted:

Not really sure how people get so deeply invested into this anime, it's not like watching LOST where you were enduring tons of episodes to get your answers (which never came). It's fun to talk about the mythology behind this show and predict what may happen, but it's not like the Eva series is some huge time sink.
Because it's one of those things that is fun to debate about the interpretations people have, I presume.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

kthegreat posted:

I just watched Eva 3.33. What the gently caress was that poo poo? I have no idea what just happened. This had almost nothing to do with the two movies before it. I feel so confused and insulted.

Can someone explain either what I'm missing or what the gently caress happened that spawned whatever this movie was?

Just because you don't understand something doesn't make it bad.

Oh poo poo, I just validated "art". I'm meeeeltiiiiinnnnng...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There's also a shot of the suits filling up with some kind of yellow-orange liquid, LCL-like.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Are you taking 3.33 without reading the subtext and judging it stupid, or just bewildered by the barrage of :wtf: that happens during it and are still sussing it out?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm going to go with they know what they're doing. If I'm wrong, well, it'll be very disappointing at least.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
When I think of people saying "Gainax'd" it largely boils down to two groups: Eva complaints and Mahoromatic complaints.

edit: hey idiot stop dropping opinions as if they are fact when saying poo poo is bad or not. I thought P&S's ending was perfect. I thought EOE was a magnificent mindfuck.

Really, the issue a lot of folks have had with some of Gainax's endings are their gimmick of killing female leads. It's happened in two, possibly more(haven't watched all of Gainax's catalog) series, and really, I was fine with BOTH show's endings that involved those aside from those pretty needless parts.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 26, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Literally and universally are two words that you're using very incorrectly if you're "not trying to paint your own opinions as fact", then.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

People were far more upset when they found out that a second season wasn't actually going to happen.
:thejoke:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

House Louse posted:

Go and post a Rebuild thread in CD, I dare you.
I would genuinely want to see this.

Get a mod to force a civil, deep discussion about it under threat of ban. It would be hilarious.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's not the one where he's all "hey bitches :smug:" and "gently caress yeah pops let's do this thing, gimme some skin", is it?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

If only she was Mari Tsukinami. Maybe that would be too transparent though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Grimace posted:

Holy poo poo, this is the best thing. I'm totally going to have to make an icon.

Do not buy a SmugMari emoticon please.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ImpAtom posted:

Huh. So the Evangelion manga (y'know, the one that's been running for 18 years) finally ended.

Shinji takes control of Third Impact and resets the world. Everyone is now living happily in regular Tokyo. Shinji is there trying to get into a high school. He runs into Asuka and has a Cute Moment and Keisuke and has a friendship moment.

The last lines are Shinji talking to himself: "Yeah, I'll try my best. It's up to me to find the path I want to take. The way forward might not be straight, it might twist and turn. It might rain, and the wind might blow. But the sun will still shine on the road ahead. My future unfolds forever ahead of me."

The End. Happy Ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaIJKM0sjdo

That sounds soooooo dumb. Holy crap. Wrap it up with a nice fuckin' neat little bowtie on it.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jun 2, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I know, but it's hiiiiilarious that the 18 year buildup is just zip-a-dee-doo-dah happy optimistic ending with, if that quote is accurate, perhaps the most trite, out of character comment possible.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Rahxephon anime, or Rahxephon manga? Because iirc the manga was reaaaaaaally hosed up. I've got it somewhere, I think that girl is fated to die, no matter what, on her sixteenth birthday and reincarnate forever, always somehow dying on her sixteenth birthday, and the main character rewrites things so they don't exist. Or are both dead but together forever. Or something like that. I think they wind up as a pair of songbirds.

It sounds pretty dumb, and the majority of the manga was rather hosed, but it wasn't as bad as my sparse memories make it sound. The anime was wayyyyy more happy go lucky in the long run.

Except for episode 19. gently caress.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

aniero posted:

This is the most well edited AMV I've ever seen.

Seriously, holy poo poo.

Nah, that title'll always be held by This Is Randomness, but that is indeed a drat fine AMV, and definitely one of the best Evangelion ones(or at least, one of the best serious ones). Kind of a shame it doesn't include anything from 3.33, really.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I await the day when an Evangelion game can properly display an Eva being thrown through a building and that building falls apart/explodes outwards like it would if a 200-foot-tall thousand-ton giant man-thing was thrown into it at 80 miles an hour.

That's all I really want. Or to be able to do that, but instead of being thrown into it, shoulder-charge through it. :unsmigghh:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I feel like you might like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, another giant robot series made by Gainax, if you also enjoyed Tiger and Bunny. It's a forum favorite around here.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Literally just a tracing of the Ducktales movie except Huey, Dewey, Louie and Webby are Asuka, Rei, Shinji and Mari, Launchpad is Misato, and of course Scrooge is Gendo.

Kaworu is Genie.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zeruel posted:

I'm terrible at movies; I enjoyed 3.33
Man, 2.22 must've been a real buzzkill for you. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ImpAtom posted:

I honestly only really enjoyed 2.22 fully once 3.33 came out and I saw that the parts I disliked were something I was supposed to dislike. v:shobon:v

Except Mari, I still have no idea what the gently caress her deal is.

It was a joke because his SA username is Zeruel :thejoke:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Eva also didn't invent any of those events.

edit: oughta refresh threads more often!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I think of the show and movies as a really good tale with surprising amount of internal consistency...that also completely drops the ball in places. There's a lot of stuff that was way more thought out and interesting that I initially thought and there's a lot of stuff that you're probably better off just forgetting about. It's one of those works where you think holy poo poo this probably should've been way bigger of a mess than it is.

Edit: And it is literally the only anime I care to gently caress with. I might've watched other stuff that's alright but this is the only one I'm a fanboy for.

I think you should pop into the recommendation thread and ask for some suggestions. There's nothing quite like Eva(since Eva has had like 20 years to build on its absurdity) but there's plenty of top-notch series out there. I'll kick some suggestions your way myself via PM, but the entire genre of anime is incredibly vast to an extent I don't think you realize, and there are series that are just as good, if not better, than Evangelion.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
DOUBLE Inazuma Kick. :colbert:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Shinji doesn't have Asperger's. To say he does shows you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the character.

Shinji has crippling depression and trauma issues as well as one of the worst fathers ever in a world that seems to have lost all of its psychotherapists in Second Impact.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, as there's been more awareness of Asperger's and its' seemingly broad symptoms, there's been a lot of misapplied labeling of famous yet "odd" individuals and fictional characters as having the syndrome.

To get away from that potential derail, though, I honestly like to think of Gendo as a "do anything for the person you love" type of character taken to the extreme, since he actually plays an active role in killing off humanity in the original series just so he can bring his lover back. He sees everyone else in his life as some sort of tool towards that goal, even when they (I.E. Rei at the start of the series, Ritsuko) try to project elements of him as sincerely caring about them. And he seems to sincerely believe that Yui wouldn't be horrified/disgusted by everything he'd done in her name.

Gendo is so romantic :allears:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
How many run-throughs have there been so far again? Four or so?

I like to think the "alternate universe" actually happened in one run-through, and even in that wonderfully idealistic world it all still got hosed up somehow.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Also? 14 years old. That's not really an age to be making significant, literally world-changing decisions. That's an age to be masturbating like 5 times a day, growing six inches in a summer, and not really worrying about anything but what'll be on the next test.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
edit: yeah I'll just remove my post and replace it with Dred's. You better not skip it, either.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Hahaha, boy are you in for a treat.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Gendo is actually the Eva universe's Xanatos.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's like Guillermo Del Toro (I assume) not really taking into account people might consider Pacific Rim a pro-fascism movie(crazy analytical people).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It also has Episode 19.

Rahxephon is, I'd say, above-average but not by much, and has some really creative and amazing mecha designs. The Vermillions are among my favorite Mecha designs ever. They're just damned classy, the sleekness of a fighter jet mixed with a mecha, but also having a significant sci-fi feel. The levels to which it gets wordy, "philosophical", and just jammed up its own arse at times really hurts it though. There's some pretty ugly monologues later in the series, and that purple-haired Rei-alike just loving sucks.

The manga is literally completely different from the anime aside from the character designs/names and titular mecha. The plot is much more coherent(and dark), and goes from beginning to end in only three volumes. The ending is a pretty big bummer. I liked it a lot and have the three volumes on my shelf.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I would dig having Robin Williams as Gendo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Temascos posted:

Heard bits and pieces about Evangelion for years, and finally just got round to watching the original series and End Of Evangelion...

poo poo son!

To say 'Shinji Goes Through A Rough Time' would be putting it mildly, I personally didn't think too much of the original ending, End felt like much more complete. I don't quite understand after all that Shinji decides to strangle Asuka right after coming out of the Instrumentality Puddle Of Tango, Asuka strokes his cheek to get him to chill out...and then calls him disgusting. Did they reconcile (Well as best they could) or what? Still one of the better animated movies I've seen, pacing felt a bit out of whack towards the end but drat what a ride.

Time to wait a few years until Rebuild is complete and marathon into a depression. :)

I believe the story is that they showed the hospital masturbation scene to the voice actress for Asuka, asked her to sum up what she thought of it, and then had her say that in the epilogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The characterization changes in Rebuild feel like the characters from the original show, but after they've undergone growth. This is the reason I call it a sequel, or at least it's much more important to me than the "is it literally a time loop" stuff.

I haven't read the manga in its entirety so I don't want to be too quick to judge, but every single excerpt of it I've ever seen reads like Evangelion fanfic.

I like to think each run through is basically the Evangelion world defragmenting itself until its all nice and tidy and not incredibly messed up. :v: