Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BEARS IN THE BARN
Oct 9, 2004

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Just noticed that the follow up wasn't posted, so here it is!

It's unscripted and mostly responding to viewer discussion over the episode, though he does go over some new stuff, like how he couldn't figure out a way to write about Shinji's "nice guy" speech without having it be forced in, so he tried to edit the video in such a way that people watching would notice.

His point about rebuild is definitely true in 3.0 with regards to duality in each title:
Shinji's desire to make things right and redo is counteracted by Kaworu's "Don't pick up that goddamn spear seriously". This is explored by, well, him picking up the goddamn spear and making everything worse. 3.0 certainly gives a lot of weight to the actions of each character, but the focus is on Shinji.

On a more non spoiler note, the title for Final messes with me because it would either mean Rebuild of Evangelion Theatrical Version: Final if the colon is used to preface the 'symbol' as previous titles:
ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版:Q
シン・エヴァンゲリオン劇場版:||

Or if the colon is part of the 'symbol' it reads as a musical note, which is to play once and repeat (think of the end of an orchestrated movement, play once and again with a crescendo on the last few notes).
Basically that leads many people to believe that the previous series will have some bearing on the events of the last movie (tying them both together) and gently caress you Anno stop messing with us you dickhead :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEARS IN THE BARN
Oct 9, 2004

The Riddle of Feel posted:

The time skip into an absolutely lovely future in 3.0 would be a fairly logical setup for a time loop, especially given 3.0's English title, which was apparently applied at Anno's direction. If there is one, though, I expect the loop to be self contained within Rebuild and involve some sort of sacrifice to undo the events of the ending of 2.0 and the aftermath.

Evangelion is all about throwing that sort of storytelling out the window, though, so I expect an hour and a half of hands, gore and tits animeing so hard it loses all coherence and sparks another decade of reductive overanalysis and arguments over whether it sucks or not.

Yeah, the other option is that the events of 3.0 are the 'do over'. I would tend to think that's more likely given the overall tone of Q :shobon:

BEARS IN THE BARN
Oct 9, 2004

The Riddle of Feel posted:

Even the bit where Kaji tells him about Misato is for his benefit, and to establish her motivations in the cheering scene at the end of 2.22- she's not cheering Shinji on, she's living vicarious through him.

There's a scene in 3.0 that really drives this point home and I'm glad you worded it in the way that her cheering him on was living vicariously through him:
At the beginning when Ritsuko and Asuka are dropping knowledge on Shinji aboard Wunder, Shinji asks where Rei is to which Asuka responds with:
All this fuss over one person. The world doesn't have time to cater to your ego. Isn't that right Misato?
While Asuka wasn't there when the whole thing happened and may not even be aware that Misato was cheering Shinji on, that comment+delivery still came across really standoffish. Even so, I'm sure since both of them share the same rank now Asuka is at least aware that Misato is guilty over the last 10 minutes of 2.0.

Also Rei II(I?) totally picked up the SDAT at the end and will somehow inspire confidence in Shinji in 4.0 with it. The magic SDAT of hopes and dreams.

BEARS IN THE BARN
Oct 9, 2004

Valentin posted:

Is there a clear distinction in Rebuild 3 between Evangelion units with the traditional designation (Eva-01, Eva-02, etc.) and the "Mark" designation (Mark.04A and B, Mark.06, Mark.09)?

The best I can come up with is that the Mark.whatever units are related to the Adams of Second Impact (possibly being derived from a crucified Adams somewhere instead of Lilith?) or to the Angels since Mark.09 is referred as a Vessel of Adams and possibly related to the original Wunder (which is totally biomechanical in some way), Mark.04 is an Angel/Eva hybrid of some sort, and Mark.06 is linked to Kaworu and is also an Angel, but there's no explicit reason that some are numbered differently from others.

The Mark.XX designation is given to units under 'ownership' of NERV (technically the NEMESIS SERIES are 04C, which I didn't even know until I just looked it up).

What's interesting is that each MK.XX series has a pretty blatant link to a given unit, MK04 has 'Eva-04' on the back of the space pylon versions insinuating it's partially made of Unit-04 parts, MK09 looks like Unit-00 with a different helmet, MK06 doesn't have any direct link but was built on the moon with Kaworu just sitting on it for a while (some people think given it's similar appearance to Lilith + it's location of construction that it's EoE/Original series Eva-01 that floated into space. I don't.). Each unit is capable of 'angel-like' wizard powers: MK04 mostly just sucks but is classified like an angel from the crew of Wunder, MK06 is classified as the twelfth angel, MK09 is a giant core and capable of going all sparkly before getting blown up. Both 06 and 09 are strongly alluded to be surviving Adams or Vessels.

Eva-13 makes no loving sense though. It's referred to as a surviving Adams and as simply 'Evangelion 13', no unit or mark title. My guess is nearly nothing in 3.0 will be answered in Final, save for maybe a buildup between Gendou and Yui motives which are only hinted at in 3.0.

BEARS IN THE BARN
Oct 9, 2004

Utritum posted:

What I want to see is 4.0 actually continuing the story, but then suddenly the action comes to a screeching halt, and the animation rapidly starts degenerating, first turning into still images, then production stretches, and finally just pictures of the manuscript, before cutting to Shinji standing in a featureless, dark room holding that manuscript as he says: "I get it, this is also a possible world. One possibility that's in me."

The rest of the film then plays out exactly like the last part of Episode 26, except it is in HD.

I have a stern requirement of 4.0: It must have live action, and it also must have a shot of a theater audience.