Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Wallace Sean as Shinji

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

This is the first time I've seen NGE since way back when it was on Adult Swim and so far nothing in the resubbing has been as annoying as "Ms. Misato"

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Blaziken386 posted:

is the netflix video quality really all that much better?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Giant anime eldritch horrorbeasts are very sensitive about their nipple aesthetics just ask that kid with the big chin

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Episode 20 is an intense meditation on the hazards of social media

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Blaziken386 posted:

did I hear correctly that the netflix dub got rid of this??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-HgKRAtXaI

yeah it's "Lukewarm." now

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The Kaworu episode is my next to watch but so far, as someone who's only seen this show once 10 years ago, I like the new translation and dub. The hosed up motivations of all the adult characters, relationship between SEELE and NERV, and circles within circles within circles of everyone's private agendas all make much more sense to me now.

The only thing that sticks out as a little grating is the constant "miss misato" formality, "third children" is fine.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 23, 2019

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ChaosArgate posted:

That song is probably one of the greatest OPs ever created, even to this day, so yeah I’m not sure who doesn’t have that “problem.” :v:

The mark of that intro's greatness is how well it lends itself to parody. Absolutely iconic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJdgErAfiRQ

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Zeruel posted:

Its a truly iconic intro. I can't think of any others that have such an impact

especially now that Cosby Bebop is cancelled

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

One of the interpretations I remember was that the show is a deadpan parody of giant-robot-young-boy power fantasies, where the boy has to be mentally tortured, traumatized and have guilt dumped on him in order to save the world.

Another one was that the "bad guys" represent social interconnectedness and relationships, and Shinji represents young boys who are terrified of relationships with others, and that the AT fields represent the fear of being connected to others.

It's been twenty years since I've seen this, any one wanna tell me if these interpretations are valid at all?

I'm not sure I have it in me to watch the whole thing again

It uses the first thing as a vehicle to get to the very very explicitly spelled out second thing. Everyone who says this show is mysterious or confusing is in denial that it's about them

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The penguin is a normal person witnessing anything that ever happens in Misato's apartment and noping out.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I find it entirely plausible that Asuka "gently caress Everyone" Soryu and Shinji "gently caress Me" Ikari were the only two people who ever lived who were broken enough to bail on the orange kool-aid for diametrically opposed reasons.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Raxivace posted:

Personally speaking I like dogs who find clues and solve mysteries.

If Asta or Scooby Doo were in NGE I think things would have gone way differently.

Scooby Doo was 100% Kaji's offscreen sidekick.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Fuyutsuki's entire character is that line in EoE when somebody asks him if they did the right thing and he's just like, ":shrug:How the hell should I know?"

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

When Asuka first meets Rei, Rei's reading a book about cloning, in german.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

P-Mack posted:

This hand ain't shaking.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

EoE has ruined my enjoyment of pistachios

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

surf rock posted:

Alright, 25 episodes down and about to watch #26 before going to bed. It's been a wild ride.

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

no, it hasn't yet.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I like the netflix dub

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://mobile.twitter.com/NewYorkerEvaBot/status/1291623981217460224

https://mobile.twitter.com/NewYorkerEvaBot/status/1288407900138999811

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 29, 2020

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

what on earth, when I watched it on adult swim back in the day 25 & 26 were the only parts that did make sense

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Evangelion is about suspiciously vaginal playground swings

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Based on how masterfully all the hidden agenda intrigues were woven together I'm pretty sure Herbert had seen some poo poo during his time with the newspaper.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

When they reran episode 25 instead of the finale on the original run of Big O, that should have just been left as the ending.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I don't even know if that's a typo, it works on so many levels

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I saw Evangelion when it was on adult swim and it changed my life for the better but never saw EoE until it hit netflix, so for me, Komm Susser Tod is inextricably linked to the groverhaus video

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I am reminded of this passage from Henry Bessemer's memoirs, recounting the moment he ignited the age of steel with full knowledge of the implications.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

If you don't have already have formative youthful memories tied up in the ADV dub, it's fine.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Ranzear posted:

The biggest offender ever was Terminator: Salvation. The massive spoiler in the trailer ruined the movie and is probably the entire reason it got panned. It's a decent movie and plays out nicely if you didn't know he's a machine.

Edit: Double checked. Yes, it's over halfway through the movie.

Terminator 2 blew the big twist in the trailer but nobody panned it

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Anno: *designs character models to be impossible to manufacture as toys*

Capitalism:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I have seen none of the rebuilds and will be marathoning them all today, stay tuned

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

not much to say about 1.11 except the CGI is fine and the slightly different musical score is fantastic.

2.22: They're getting ready to test unit 04, everyone's off-screen therapy sessions seem to be paying off wonderfully.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

WELP

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

2.22: Awww a third impact fueled entirely by love and self-actualization :3:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

done with 3.0+1.0, don't understand all the confusion about Mari? She's an obvious extension of the theme "meeting new people is good" now that Auska, Toji and the rest can't be used to make that point after this cast of characters has been repeatedly and intentionally traumatized together like someone trying to bond houserabbits.

So maybe you've opened yourself up and let the circle of people that are around you into your comfort zone? That's great, now keep growing socially because if you stagnate in a bubble of familiarity you might miss meeting the super-pilot that can bite God's knees off.

That's what Mari is all about, Charlie Brown.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Paper Lion posted:

imagine watching evangelion for 25 years and then coming into this thread after the big finale and actually complaining that everything worked out this time because they actually communicated for once. like, no poo poo? the whole problem has always been lack of communication, no one ever communicated how they felt, we HAVE PERSONAL A.T FIELDS THAT INHIBIT IT, instrumentality's whole point is to destroy the boundries between each other so we don't need to communicate anymore and exist in singularity. original NGE is "i am sad and it is hard to communicate why without feeling judged, but maybe if i try harder at it and accept my feelings and my problems as my own then i will have a better life" and rebuild is "i managed to communicate my needs, and was rewarded with a better life. you can do it too!" these works are entirely consistent and in conversation with each other. one is made by a man in the middle of the throes of depression, making a work that is telling himself the things he needs to tell himself in order to get through the day and maintain some hope that things could ever change for him one day, and the other is by a man that actually came out the other side and is trying to show other people that he understands where they are now but that they can do it too. i do not say this to be mean, but to the poster above saying they're in therapy and that there's no way people would get better by just talking, i can guarantee you that you will have a lot of success opening up and engaging in radical honesty with yourself and others. this film and series of films was literally made for people in your position. keep at it! anno believes in you!!!

:yossame:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

Lazy sunday ruminations:

Given the assumption that Anno's done, what else could they do?

My most horrific idea is a gritty origin story around Yui and young Gendo. There is nothing on the planet that i want to exist less.

I guess they could go back to MOTW with new characters but i don't think it'd be doable with the characters we already know

Dinosaur Comics except it's the Toast Rei universe storyboard

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Zore posted:

I mean Mari was his parent's college friend who had a crush on his dad. That part of their relationship is really weird and its kinda hosed that she's like 40ish years of lived experience older than he is due to that and the 2.22-3.33 timeskip. It makes a lot of the 'Mari is about finding and opening up to new people' reading muddled imo and makes her whole character feel really weird

It would have been so much better if they had just unapologetically shoved in a new girl without all the weird backstory nonsense.

oh yikes I somehow completely missed this backstory

e: I'mma just choose to keep it that way in my headcanon because the story makes way more sense without it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

I can almost believe that Anno did that timeskip *just in case* he decides at age 65 that he needs one more stab at Eva.
Or to allow a studio with a good pitch to pursue it.

I'll also throw my lot in with Eva Alpha, the untold story of US Nerv branch and the hero that caused the S2 experiment to zip them off to a new dimension instead of causing a micro-impact.
(That always felt a little Robotech to me)

heh heh he more or less explicitly said this in a recent interview

Are there any plans to revisit Evangelion in the future?

ANNO: So, upon remaking Evangelion, there were many interesting things to do, but to remake something we had already done was a very stressful process. There were so many fans that have their own values for it, which I always kept in mind while making the movies, while also create something new and interesting to those fans as well. So, and for myself, at this point I don't feel that I have the desire to continue on with Evangelion, but there's always the 14-year gap in the story, so in some form, I want to shed light into that. But at this point, I don't feel that I'm going to continue on the story where I left off.