Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
As long as we are all posting great Evangelion videos, heres a thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGma4AHNb_A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Shoehead posted:

I thought that the woman in the photo of Yui and Shinji was Asuka's mom, for some reason. That said I have no idea what Asuka's mom looks like outside of a swinging silhouette..

I agree with this, Its too old to be Mari and it looks a hell of a lot like Asuka.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

No, she really doesn't. And the age thing is pretty easily explained if Evangelion pilots don't age.

For reference, here's the picture: http://i.imgur.com/Nv0w1xv.jpg

And here are a bunch of Mari: http://wiki.evageeks.org/Mari_Makinami_Illustrious

Mari has the same glasses, the same hair, the same face shape, the same color scheme. I mean she might conceivably be Mari's mother or clone stock or whatever, but she's definitely the one she's related to.

I don't think we ever get a good look at Asuka's mother in any media, but her page has this as a portrait: http://wiki.evageeks.org/Kyoko_Zeppelin_Soryu

Honestly, aside from the glasses I think she looks nothing like Mari, and she looks too mature in the picture to be her.

Mari has a twin tail hair style which is parted totally differently, the hair is a much lighter colour, and the front of the hair is pretty much identical to how Asuka's hair is styled.

Honestly though its a big claim to make from a 5 second glimpse of a photo. Speculate all you want but there is absolutely nothing concrete either way. I personally think its likely Asuka's mother, it makes a hell of a lot more sense considering that she is known to be the test pilot for Eva Unit two, and is extremely likely to have known Yui around that time period, considering they both just had children around that time, and they would have certainly known each other considering their jobs. But hey, its just speculation, I dont get why you feel that its so certain.

EDIT: Have a closer look. http://i.imgur.com/pd4WlJ3.jpg

FiftySeven fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 28, 2013

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde
More proof if it was ever needed that Asuka belongs to the master race...

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I remember watching 3.33 at a film festival years ago and walking out thinking "I didnt hate it but my long term feelings on this will depend on what they do with 4", and in no way did I think it would take 9 years to get my answer to that question, but holy hell did they ever stick the landing on this. I have seen 1.11 so many times that I didnt rewatch it this time, but I did watch 2 and 3 the night before to jog my memory of the minutiae, and honestly I think its helped totally reignite my love for this series, which admittedly had dimmed a bit over the years from lack of interaction. Eva will always be my favourite anime, there is just nothing that comes close to it.

3.33 as a lead up to 3+1 is absolutely incredible. It sets the tone beautifully, and I am so glad that now I have the last film to recontextualize it, i love it so much more than I previously did.

3+1 is just incredible. It was an absolute emotional tour de force and I am so glad they managed to balance itself so well. Shinji needed time to come to terms with what he had done, and it would have been a total slog to watch if it were not for the wonderful glimpse into the daily lives of their friends that overcame the horrors of N3i. Rei re-learning human kindness and empathy was fantastic and I love everything they did with her in this film. After poo poo gets real again, It was a risky gamble to have the film mirror the End of Evangelion so closely, it could have come across very badly, but those events seen anew through the lens of Shinjis new found convictions and maturity worked extremely well to not only be cathartic and fan servicy, but take the films full circle as the "rebuild" of Evangelion. There were so so many times during this film where it looked like it was about to do one thing, and then it just subverted itself and did another. As mentioned by others, stuff like the initial fight scenes between Unit 3 and 13 had me wtfing, until It clicked that it was a film set, and the film was breaking the 4th wall. And it pulled this same trick several times in the film, and each time was great.

All that said, there remains 2 things which I feel is a shame. The first is that I never really have ever clicked with Mari as a character, and this film did nothing to help. The only part of the ending which I didnt really love was Shinji and Mari. I dont think that shes had even nearly enough impact on the series for her to end up in that position, but someone earlier in the thread said something like "shes there to show he importance of meeting new people", and I can kind of accept that. I still dont really like it, but I suppose its a minor gripe over all. The other thing I am a bit sad about is that I no longer have anything to anticipate in regards to Eva. I think this film bookended things very neatly and while I will always kind of crave more, I think this is the point where it needs to end. Its just always been something to look forward to for so long that I kind of feel its absence in a strange way.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Cannot believe this is such an impasse, but either way: lol not paying $250+ bucks for an incomplete version of the series

Its a LOT of money, but this is also a series that has been in licensing hell for quite a while now and frankly its kind of a miracle that its even getting a re-release at all... Its £200 in the UK, limited to 1500 units and even knowing that they are likely going to release a cheaper version I am awfully temped because this release is likely to be collectable in the long run...

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Sleng Teng posted:

I just want a physical option to watch the series and movie again and not all the extra stuff I'll probably lose the next time I move. Hoping the cheaper versions really are forthcoming!

Anime Limited said they are making another announcement on the 30th.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Yeah, I dont know how anyone couldn't love the remade Ramiel fight in the first film. Ramiel goes from being a relatively unassuming cube which honestly isn't very imposing, to being a shape shifting death cannon. Sachiel and Shamshel are not really different enough to say that they are any better or worse than the TV series, but the visual upgrade alone is pretty stunning. The Glowing armour on Unit 1 against Sachiel is really awesome looking.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde
So regarding the whole ADV vs Netflix thing... I have watched Eva more times than I can count both with the ADV dub and the original Japanese VA's, and I have to say, I have absolutely no idea why people are hating so much on the netflix dub as an alternative to the ADV version. The ADV version plays really fast and loose with not only the script, but also the tone of the series. I decided to compare a few scenes between the 3 versions and while yes I would say that at times the new translation is a bit raw, the vocal performances are much much closer to the Japanese cast's performances.

The ADV performance is completely overacted, and stuff like hearing Spike Spencers voice cracking in the middle of a sentence made me cringe so hard. This might have been okayish back in the early 2000s when I had previously spent years watching regular American cartoons and I had less tolerance for subtitles, and honestly didnt know any better, but that was a looong time ago. Nowadays, I recognize that the ADV version is guilty every single crime in the book when it comes to bad dub work. It like the directors at the time only liked 2 types of performance, Aloof and edgy, or goofy as gently caress. Perhaps its because I am not American but all I can think of when I hear this stuff is "People dont actually talk like that", and it totally takes me out of it nowadays.

The actual translation itself clearly could do with some more work to make it a bit more palatable to native english speakers but if given the option between overacting or undertranslating, I honestly can say that i think the latter is the less of the two evils, especially with having spent a decent amount of time studying the language and knowing how awkward it can be to properly convey the tone and meaning between Japanese and English.The ADV version for better or for worse has its own issues, its very very much a product of its time, and I am overall pretty glad that they retranslated it. Its not perfect and It seems silly that some of the more egregious stuff like "worthy of his grace" was left as is, especially when "Worthy of his affections" would have been a perfectly reasonable translation, but its hardly as bad as some of the more stupid overtranslations I have seen over the years from fansubs and whatnot (anyone remember "The Onslaught of the Eotens" from Commie).

At the end of the day though, both versions exist, and you have a choice on what you prefer to watch, no one is forcing you either way. If you prefer ADVs version, well I dont get you but fair enough, thats your choice. If you have to watch it in English or nothing, the Netflix dub is not half as bad as some would have you believe. I personally will just watch it in Japanese as intended and thats enough for me.

FiftySeven fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 10, 2021

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Archer666 posted:

The end of evangelion just means the beginning of a new Evangelion.

The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Just gonna add another voice to the chorus of people saying dont sleep on the first Rebuild film. Its got some very big differences from the first 6 episodes that honestly in retrospect make a lot of differences to Shinji's characterization and it is 16 years later, still absolutely stunning to look at. Calling it an "uglier version" or whatever is honestly one of the most insane opinions I have ever heard. It is anything but ugly.

Without going full on into spoilers, the Rebuild series is absolutely not a retelling of the same story.
While I guess this debated, in my opinion It is very much a sequel to the original, there is plenty of stuff in the films that supports this, and even if that wasnt the case, by the mid point of 2, it has spiraled off into a totally different story which is totally worth watching on its own merits. Rebuild goes a bit crazy at times but it is very very good and I think the ending is far more satisfying.