Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

Tokusatsu shows feature costumed superheroes pitted against evil creatures and/or organizations, through the aid of gadgets, explosions, and face kicking. Spawned back in the 1950s with kaiju films such as Godzilla, and Super Giant, Japan's first costumed superhero commited to film, the tokusatsu genre has spawned many popular series, such as:

Kamen Rider

Created in 1971 by Shotaro Ishinomori, Kamen Rider shows often feature a single transforming hero who's powers and arsenal is usually directly related to the antagonists of the series, whether biological or technological. Sometimes, additional riders aside from the titular one are introduced, whether to aid them or antagonize them (or both).

Super Sentai

Also started by Ishinomori, the first Super Sentai series was Goranger in 1975. The shows feature 5 (or more) heroes pitted against groups of evil monsters, often alien in origin. More often than not, their opponents go giant-size and require a double beatdown with the assistance of giant support robots.

Ultraman, the alien crusader who fights to protect Earth

Metal Heroes, armor laden cyborgs, transforming humans, or what-have-you, fighting alien and underworld threats alike

What's it all boil down to?
TOYZ, BOYZ

Like any kids franchise, toku shows are made to push plastic crack down the gullet of young boys and financially irresponsible adults. Besides the featured gimmick-laden robot and roleplay toys, there are also several series of highly-articulated action figures, such as S.H. Figuarts, S.I.C. (Super Imaginative Chogokin), and the SFX Revoltech series for kaiju and foreign properties.

------------------------------------------------

CURRENTLY RUNNING/UPCOMING

Kamen Rider Gaim
c/o: Æsir | onore TV-Nihon
Poppin' and lockin' and peelin'
Latest Episode: 2 [THREAD]

Zyuden Sentai Kyoryger
Dinosaurs, again? WHAT A SHOOOOOCK~~~~~!!!!!!!
c/o: Over-Time | onore TV-Nihon
Current Episode: 33

Ultraman Ginga
\o/ It's Ultra Time! \o/
c/o: Over-Time | ONORE TV-Nihon
Current Episode: 6

SHOW BACKLOG
Due to the Great Legend Megaupload Tragedy of 2012, from this point on be prepared to find a lot of dead links I can't do anything about.
If a show ever turns up missing, check for downloads at KRDL.info.

Completed series
Movies/Specials
In-progress Series

Completed Series Movies/Specials
In-progress Series
Super Unofficial Sentai

Completed Series
Movies/Specials
In-progress Series

Completed Series
Movies/Specials

Completed Series
In-progress Series

:japan: 'Da Raw Repository :japan:
Toei's Youtube channel :tviv:
Watch old shows, unsubbed. New (old) episodes weekly. Toei's put a country restriction up, so good luck with that.
Toku Raw Revolution: Get raw videos of tokusatsu shows here. Handy if you've got subs but nothing to play 'em with. (Free registration required)

Concerning TV-Nihon

n t y :sweep: (See also: http://onoretvn.tumblr.com)

ACTION ACTION ACTION ACTION ACTION ACTION ACTION ACTION ACTION AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Chibs fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

New thread! Everybody dance!

Only six more days until new Akibaranger!

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe
This thread, too, is Dickeido's fault.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

New thread hype

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Dickaid is awful

Fourze is the best

All ya'll be haters

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Also request: Any sub projects that haven't updated in over a year be moved off the list into a Dead Subs(?) section, cause the list is crowded with series that only got one or two episodes done before the group lost interest.

Also also, unless they are the only ones that have completed a series, can we stop linking TV-N now?

Also also also, I'm going to update your Sentai list for you now:

Completed

Movies/Specials

In Progress, Currently updating

In Progress, probably dead

• Seijuu Sentai Gingaman: Hi no Tori - Ep 35, though the last five are lost to time. Has no plans to continue
  • Bakuryū Sentai Abaranger: Midnight Crew - Ep 7 Dropped because of ~drama~

The rest have URLs that are either dead, or the releases link to megaupload and haven't been updated to torrents or KRDL.

HKR fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 31, 2013

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Not only does Akibaranger S2 start on April 5th, but so does the 3rd Garo. That should go in current/upcoming too.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
UltraSeven is the best toku hero!

There, it is on the first page thus it must be true.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

gently caress it, also gonna start digging into the Rider lists.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

GUROUNDO FAROARU*
*Mean 'Ground Floor'

To help with the URL compiling:

Also I feel like the OP should have a note about KRDL in general. You need to register a username with an email, but they're generally the best place to get DDLs of individual rider episodes, if you don't want to mess with torrents/batch files for older series and weeklies.

Also, here's a magnet torrent link someone on /m/ compiled a while back of all of Gomen Rider's Agito sub, saving it from the depths of internet hell!

EDIT: added the Fourze movie. TV-N doesn't get a link because they don't make it easy to single out from their other Fourze releases.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 31, 2013

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I can't believe that the (94% done) Changeman dub has been lost to time? Has literally noone saved it? Such a shame.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
I'd just like to point out that the list is incorrect with regards to GoGoV and Goggle-V (GoGoV is listed as Goggle V and episode release numbers are wrong).

Kyuukyuu Sentai GoGoV is up to episode 16 at Hikari Senshi and seems to be active (3/7/13).

Whereas Dai Sentai Goggle-V at Hikari Senshi was only released up to episode 3 around May 7th of last year and is most likely dead.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Also, the May'n solo of Giant Step was posted near the tail end of the last thread, so it'd be remiss not to open this one up with Shiina's counterpart solo. Especially since it's, in my opinion, the superior version. :colbert:

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Sleeping Sigma posted:

I'd just like to point out that the list is incorrect with regards to GoGoV and Goggle-V (GoGoV is listed as Goggle V and episode release numbers are wrong).

Kyuukyuu Sentai GoGoV is up to episode 16 at Hikari Senshi and seems to be active (3/7/13).

Whereas Dai Sentai Goggle-V at Hikari Senshi was only released up to episode 3 around May 7th of last year and is most likely dead.

Fixed on my end.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
Whoops, I probably should have said Goggle-V was inactive as the download links to the three episodes are packupload links and are still downloadable. For what it's worth.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Whoops, I probably should have said Goggle-V was inactive as the download links to the three episodes are packupload links and are still downloadable. For what it's worth.

Nah, it's still in progress, HS just doesn't use nyaa or KRDL for some reason. My dyslexia kept reading Goggle V and GoGoV as the same thing.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cliff Racer posted:

I can't believe that the (94% done) Changeman dub has been lost to time? Has literally noone saved it? Such a shame.

I have the DFF releases on my harddrive, but my internet is too poo poo to even think about considering the possibility of uploading 52 episodes of television. There was time enough before it was taken down, surely someone else archived it?

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.
Awh. I'm one of the runners of Onore TVN, thanks for linking us. :)

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

TheGreenAvenger posted:

Awh. I'm one of the runners of Onore TVN, thanks for linking us. :)

No problem, I just saw it after I made the OP, and I love it. Keep doing what you're doing. :h:

And yeah, I know none of my links are updated, I'm running though them now, sorry. :(

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Well you know what to copy/paste when you have time.

In other news, here's the updated Kamen Rider list:

Completed

Movies/Specials

In Progress, Currently Updating

In Progress, probably dead

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

Thanks, I got it, okay, don't act so vested in it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Interestingly enough, Zyuranger was not the first sentai that was adapted for english audiences. Back in the 80's USA aired a parody dub of Dynaman, it only lasted for 6 episodes but here you go.

There was also a complete english dub of Bioman that aired in the Philippines. You can find it here.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 31, 2013

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Larryb posted:

Interestingly enough, Zyuranger was not the first sentai that was adapted for english audiences. Back in the 80's USA aired a parody dub of Dynaman, it only lasted for 6 episodes but here you go.

There was also a complete english dub of Bioman that aired in the Philippines. You can find it here.

Woah, I had no idea about dubbed Dynaman being aired, thanks for the link!

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Larryb posted:

I remembered seeing that gag dub Dynaman opening years ago, thanks for confirming I didn't just dream it.

So much toku, where am I going to find the time and hard drive space for all this? :supaburn:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I really don't know anything about the various sub groups, but man that TV Nihon nonsense is whack.

Also, at risk of digging up a discussion from the old thread: Kamen Rider Hibiki's ED is the best song ever. This should be logged for posterity.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.
Did the Tatoba combo finishing move actually ever kill anything ever

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Tricky Twisty posted:

Did the Tatoba combo finishing move actually ever kill anything ever
I had to look it up just to remember what it was. If he didn't kill anything by his first full combo, I don't think he killed anything with it. It's just a Rider Kick with an assist from Grasshopper's legs and since Medajalibor was the toy it always got more finishers.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Skipped the new Doctor Who to watch The Hero Yoshihiko. So worth it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I really don't know anything about the various sub groups, but man that TV Nihon nonsense is whack.

I must be the only person in the universe that prefers TV Nihon's subs, at least for Gokaiger. I actually like the colored subs, and I prefer to see the honorifics in the subtitles. "Mr. Marvelous" doesn't flow as well for me as "Marvelous-san"

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

jivjov posted:

I must be the only person in the universe that prefers TV Nihon's subs, at least for Gokaiger. I actually like the colored subs, and I prefer to see the honorifics in the subtitles. "Mr. Marvelous" doesn't flow as well for me as "Marvelous-san"

While the colored subs and use of Honorifics can be personal preference, their horrible translations sadly can't.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I couldn't stand more than like 5 minutes of TV-N Gokaiger. Their subs are borderline unwatchable for me.

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

jivjov posted:

Believe me, you're not. We get people crying about it in our inbox literally all the time, from less than 24 hours after we started the blog. So your opinions are wrong, and you're not alone. Ps. It's fine if Marvelous-san sounds better to you than Mr. Marvelous, because O-T actually translates that as just plain Marvelous.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
So this is going to be the dumbest of dumb questions, I'm sure. But does Keitai Sousakan 7 count enough as a toku show to discuss it in this thread? Because goddrat, I have the worst urge to rewatch it now that more people are starting to. :smith:

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

It's about walking talking phones, of course it's a tokusatsu show.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jivjov posted:

Everyone who disagrees are baka-chan-taichi.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Endorph posted:

Everyone who disagrees are baka-chan-taichi.

*means "Fools"*

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Man I gotta finish Gobusters and catch up with Wizard and then probably watch an older sentai or something since Jetman was a really good watch. Any suggestions on a finished older one?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Lessail posted:

Man I gotta finish Gobusters and catch up with Wizard and then probably watch an older sentai or something since Jetman was a really good watch. Any suggestions on a finished older one?

I wanted to go from Jetman to Zyuranger, then start Dairanger over again (I only got 9 episodes into Dai).
But I'm watching the Kakuranger weeklies instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

TheGreenAvenger posted:

Believe me, you're not. We get people crying about it in our inbox literally all the time, from less than 24 hours after we started the blog. So your opinions are wrong, and you're not alone. Ps. It's fine if Marvelous-san sounds better to you than Mr. Marvelous, because O-T actually translates that as just plain Marvelous.

I'll have to track down exactly what I was watching, but I'm 99% sure it was something subbed by O-T that subtitled Ahim as saying "Mr. Marvelous".

• Locked thread