Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

And for fucks sake, Sasha isn't looking smug. She has the same pained/forced smile look in the manga and the anime.

And yeah, Mikasa was off-model in quite a few scenes this episode. :(

Didn't she cut her hair because Eren said it would get in the way while using 3d gear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Azzents posted:

It's a double edged sword. Either we get an anime only ending and that'll be the end of a great series or we'll get a second season a year or two down the line while we wait for the manga to pummel through.

Anime only endings aren't always terrible. There was also Trigun. And... uh... I'm sure something will come to me.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

SpazmasterX posted:

The first Fullmetal Alchemist.

The first FMA was an awesome show. Whether the anime only ending lived up to the rest of the series is more debatable.

And it's indeed hard to imagine how they'd handle filler in this series.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Gyges posted:

How does no humans or human structures visible for a few miles prove that there's no other civilization?

If you believe the measurements given, the inside of the walls are larger than France.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

NickRoweFillea posted:

Just started watching this on Crunchyroll and God drat. This owns. Everything is wrong and bloody and subversive and great.

Video game pitch: Shadow of the Colossus meets Lost Planet 2. Make it happen, Japan.

With Spiderman web slinging.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Schubalts posted:

It's also why training lasts for years, before the recruits officially join the military.

Also, anime physics or no, I imagine 3d gear takes a lot of training to use like they do in the show. Though come to think of it, it might be the kind of thing that's best learned young (assuming you don't mind a portion of your child soldier trainees going home in bodybags).

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Can we avoid the "Boy, wait until you see what happens next!" pseudo spoilers in this thread? If you really want to talk about it, there's a manga thread.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Paracelsus posted:

If there were an axis for hunger, Sasha would destroy them all.

When Sasha started trying to convince everyone that they should raid the outpost for gas, I just wondered if her real plan was to raid the provisions.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Davincie posted:

So can a manga person come in to confirm that he is a dumbass or what? Or would that spoil even more by confirming it :shrug:

I think he was just making a BSG joke.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

I can't help but feel frustrated by this. The manga has incredible promise for an anime, and some scenes have shown that the animators can do an awesome job with it. But whether the reason is budget, time, or whatever, they're really botching the adaptation so far and it seems to be getting worse.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

my dad posted:

I assume that the author didn't quite get the scale right, and the area surrounded by the walls is actually much smaller. Small enough, in fact, to make the inner two walls only contain enough arable ground to feed a million people.

Wasn't there mention of trying to farm the wasteland and shots of people trying to hand farm surrounded by snow? I kind of assumed that the walled area is so far north (or possibly south) that significant portions inside the wall are too cold to raise crops. Which might also mean that the rest has a very short growing season.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Tivac posted:

Germany is also a fully industrialized, modern nation with modern medicine, birth rates, farming, etc.

They've got some cool tech in AoT, but nothing that implies to me that we should expect anything approaching modern population density within the walls. That size still seems pretty huge but I don't think the population size is necessarily *that* far off.

Someone in another discussion (or maybe this one?) observed that the last time Germany had fewer than a million people, the hoe had not yet been invented. So if those numbers are right it does seem to be a crazy low population density.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

There's a separate manga thread, you know.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

EDIT: Levi knows how to hold back and get out of situations that are too dangerous.
Episode spoilersIn the three times Eren has become a Titan, he hasn't really gotten any better at it. In this episode he put up a good fight, but was captured by the enemy. If Levi hadn't refilled his blades and gas there isn't much they could do about it and they would have lost the only thing that had a chance of turning the tide against the Titans. If the Female Titan had just squished Eren instead of capturing him, that would have been that.
ONE LAST EDIT: Think of it this way, do you think they would sacrifice Eren to save Levi, or Levi to save Eren?

Pretty much this. Yeah, Eren can bring down some titans, but killing some titans was never a problem for the Recon Corps. Eren is valuable for what he lets the recon corps accomplish rather than for his combat ability; this isn't a super robot anime where the one of a kind prototype wins all the battles.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Renoistic posted:

Why must you suck so much, Eren? Or does the world just hate you?

Eren sucks so much he's the first human in history (well, probably) to get eaten by a titan twice.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

The first is wrong and the second is pretty par the course? :confused:

Yeah, and he didn't actually do anything. He was just around to get jabbed by Dr. Titan-in-a-needle.

Eren's usefulness, in the eyes of the military, is 1) moving rocks and 2) allowing Recon to safely study a titan up close. This may change at a later point, but no one keeps him around because he is competent. In fact, if their leadership is competent, they would consider his very stoppable rage to be an incredible liability in either form. This is most likely the real reason behind the short leash.

Don't forget 3) Bait.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Soulcleaver posted:

No one should go to the AoT wiki unless they want everything spoiled forever. I don't know who's in charge of managing that site but they're doing a rather poor job of it.

You don't have to read the wiki, it's listed in the google result.

If you want to remain unspoiled, don't google anything.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

snucks posted:

New episode spoilers

In answer to your other question, I imagine the reason the survey corps doesn't go titan hunting at night is that 3D gear is already quasi-suicidal even when you can see what you're latching onto.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

There are some manga spoilers in that.

Edit: Having finished it, nothing big, but some of the pictures he uses are from manga chapters the anime hasn't reached.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 20, 2013

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

ActionZero posted:

It's pretty much an absolute certainty that there are people who've read the manga, read spoilers or picked things up through osmosis coming in to this thread to make "speculation" posts.

There are. There have been several people who post in the manga thread outright doing this, in fact, much to the rest of the thread's blistering rage.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

On another note, I've missed the last few episodes and am planning on marathoning the last part of the series with some friends and then going onto the season finale. How have the last 5 episodes been overall for animation and pacing?

I'd say you're in for a treat. They don't advance the plot at a fast pace, but it doesn't feel slow either; there's lots of action to keep things lively.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

If you can handle it, I'd stick with the anime for at least the last episode. You only have to wait five days, and if 24 was anything to go by they're going to blow the budget on the finale.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

kater posted:

I never read no stinkin manga and I regularly hate the anime, but that was not a bad episode or a bad way to end the season. Crazy awesome titanfight and also Eren got his first drop of characterization since like... episode 2.

Also Bill would make the perfect titan.

Yeah, it's kind of annoying. I've read the manga (admittedly so long ago I barely remember this part), and I thought this episode was handled fine, just differently. But it seems like many manga readers have been anticipating the finale (and reactions to it) so much that they're just annoyed it wasn't treated as a big deal. I kind of wish they'd at least keep the complaining to the manga only thread and leave this thread free for unspoiled anime reactions.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Disconnecticus posted:

I'm only saddened to see no Guren no Haibane Renmei. It's got a wall and everything.

Obviously they exist in the same universe. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Basically, most of the manga reader complaints about this episode are a result of the fact that the manga never has a good stopping point. The changes made to the last episode were so it at least had something like a point to stop on, instead of the constant runaway freight train the manga is at this point.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Yeah. It's better eventually, but it will get much worse first.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Jamesman posted:

"So, let's find something on Netflix to watch tonight. Oh hey, Attack on Titan. I've heard that name thrown around a lot. Let's check it out, knowing nothing about it except the name and that people seem to really like it."

"I HAVE WATCHED THE WHOLE THING IN ONE SITTING AND IT IS NOW TEN IN THE MORNING"

So I thoroughly enjoyed it and I want more of it. Will I be getting more, or is this another High School of the Dead situation where I am left blue-balled?

Given how popular it was, I think it's pretty likely they'll produce more seasons when there's enough manga to adapt. Given the nature of the series it doesn't really work with filler, though, so they kind of have to wait.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

I don't think it's going to be for a while, honestly. The anime is too close to the manga at this point.

The 25 episode anime covered up to the end up the manga's chapter 33 (the OVA covered a side chapter). Without getting into what's actually in future manga chapters, the obvious assumption is that the second series could cover chapters 34-66. The most recent chapter was 54, and it releases one chapter a month, so that gives an estimate of about a year before there's material for the next series.

That's about as rough an estimate as you can get, though. Additionally, they'll probably want a decent ending point for the series instead of a cliffhanger (consider how many episodes in the first series would have been good stopping points), which means they might end before or after chapter 66, depending on how the story works out. So I wouldn't hold my breath.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

I absolutely love that you claim you can predict a show so easily, and then conclude that if your predictions don't match the manga that can only be because the manga hasn't reached that point yet.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Silver2195 posted:

You should start with the final Annie vs. Eren fight (around chapter 32, I think), since the anime makes some changes to make it feel somewhat more conclusive.

Also either watch the OVA (Ilse's notebook) or read the chapter it was based on (18.5, as I recall).

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

GimmickMan posted:

What I don't get is how he can claim he he is super good at speculation, post speculation that is either wrong or unconfirmed, read some spoilers that confirm he is wrong or that we don't know yet, then come back to declare he was right all along.

Well duh.. no one here is showing how he's wrong, after all! So that must mean he's right, not that he's picked the spoiler free thread to gloat in and no one else wants to drop spoilers just to prove him wrong.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

Okay so question, Sasha is not in fact a werewolf right? That whole bit after she has to run all day as punishment for stealing the potato and then gets hungry is all meant to be subjective right

I don't know what the Japanese word is for when anime characters make those exaggerated expressionist faces

Mikasa may be the queen of violence, but Sasha is really, really athletic. She's also the one that saves, uh, that guy, when they're on the wall and the colossal titan attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Also remember that AoT, like many other anime, is adapted from a manga (black and white serial comic). It's kind of harder to do show instead of tell in that medium; I suspect American comics have a similar issue from the few I've really read.

• Locked thread