Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Someone threw on some Bob Marley and the Wailers today at work and I commented on how strange and fascinating I find the reggae drum patterns that see the kickdrum land on the 2 and almost entirely absent from the downbeat. As a lifelong groove drummer (read: someone who can't really play to sheet music) it's something that's mostly eluded me but I find it fascinating nonetheless. Can anyone speak to the history of this kind of rhythm?

As well, I was surprised to learn that the Wailers' drummer used a pretty standard snare; a 14"x5.5" Ludwig 402 IIRC. Would have sworn it was some kind of piccolo snare or even something like the 13"x6" Dixon I've got (which was sold to me as a 'reggae/jungle' snare and does have that almost timbale quality to it that some other reggae snares have, almost a metal kit PING to it if the snares are slacked enough). I'm curious about how they were able to get it sounding so tight and dry and arguably small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Reggae tends to be slower and syncopated, the snare on beat 3 just seems to help define the music. Sort of like the ride cymbal patters in Jazz. Reggae is younger than Rock by about 10-15 years so it may also have been done that way just to be different.

There's a few YT videos on the snare sound. I'm not sure about the recording you heard (live or studio), but a two ply head cranked really tight would give a higher, punchier sound. Reggae drummers use the rim quite a bit so you it could also be a combo on snare/rim shot. I figure a regular snare is easier to find and in live situation would project more than a piccolo. At least in the early 80s which was when Marley recorded.