Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EF-600mm-f4-L-IS-II-USM-Telephoto-lens/163615633766?hash=item2618407166:g:PKEAAOSwyHJccusr

Talk me down...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
It needs to be feature on par with the Nikon D500 that thing is amazing.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

ilkhan posted:

Starting to think about what I want to do with this RP and a Yellowstone trip seems to be in the cards for .. well, some point this year.

How much reach do you really want/need for a trip like that? We'll probably make it back at some point, but it certainly would be a ways out in the future for a return trip and we'll want to make the most of it. Renting a 100-400 and an extender be about right? Or would that be overkill?

I have the 100-400 and the 1.4x III.

Read up to make sure you get the AF points you want with your body.

Also you are limited to f/8 with that combo so you'll be stuck in this annoying thing where you'll want to take the extender off most of the time because the lens without the 1.4x is f/5.6 and AF is really fast.

I only use it for real specific shot locations where I know i'm going to be in a hide or have really good light and the subject is going to be that annoying distance away.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
I own the 80d If you want to check out some bird shots with the settings my Flickr. https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveslux/

The other option is the 7dMk2 which has better AF tracking from what I hear.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Laserface posted:

Thanks - these photos are great and pretty much exactly what I do (bugs, birds,nature)

the other small issue is my only decent Tele lens is my Kit 55-250 from the 550D. I have a Tamron 70-300, but it randomly decides to not work beyond 180mm and will cause the camera to ask to reboot.

I've been looking at second hand 70-200 F/4s or even the 100mm macro since that will get some double duty (and I could sell my 60mm macro)

I have the 100-400L IS II and the 100mm L macro.

The reach is needed for birds and even at 400mm + "crop" you are only getting 'special' shots when the bird is unusually close.

The 100mm macro is lovely just a great prime lens for macro with a flash.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Herr Tog posted:

Hi!

I would like to try to record audio visual with an EOS-M. Can someone give me a couple of key words to search for when I am looking at SD cards or mics to plug into it? And a program to, lightly, edit the video? I got the audio part to where I want it.

Thank you.

Tell us more about what you want to record specifically, it makes a big difference, indoor/outdoor, people, one person etc etc.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
I have an Canon 80D I also have a YONGNUO YN600EX-RT II.

I want to trigger using radio (no IR) the camera from the flash and vice versa, what gadget do I need?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Helen Highwater posted:

You need a radio tranceiver. I'm not sure what you mean by 'trigger the camera from the flash', do you mean remotely trigger the camera and the flash? Triggering the flash from the camera is easy. You can just use a single transmitter on the hotshoe as your speedlight has a built in receiver already. To trigger the camera remotely, you need two. One on the hotshoe set to transmitter/receiver mode, and one in your hand in transmitter mode. The one on the hotshoe needs to also be connected to the remote port on the side of your camera. That way, pressing the button on the trigger in your hand will fire both the shutter and the external speedlight.

This is basically what you want - Yongnuo YN622C pair

Edit to link to correct flash triggers.

Yeah I essentially want to tripod the camera, manually position the flash and press a button on it and have the flash and camera fire, sounds like that's what I need then.

Thanks

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Big McHuge posted:

I mean, I'm not really sure, hence why I was asking. I know that the basic kit lenses are generally regarded as very entry-level mediocre, and I know there are a ton of different lenses out there, so I was just trying to figure out what would be some good suggestions for a first upgrade, beyond the Nifty Fifty that I had read about a while back. I'm also planning on picking up a nice tripod since I know that will be a boon to long term improvement, but I know there is a separate thread for that kind of gear.

You are into either macro or super telephoto in wildlife terms insects and birds.

Don't get gear focused think of a photo you want to take and think why your current gear limits you and how new gear would achieve that shot.

eg

I want a tripod, because I want to do a long exposure landscape.
I want a macro, because I fancy photographing watch mechanisms.
I want a super telephoto because I like airshows.
I want a quality medium prime, because I really like portraits.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Here's me lusting over the 200 f/2

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
its more about how all my desired lenses weigh a ton.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
500 f/4 is the one TCs also reduce AF speed and points

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Probably been done to death in here already but...

I want a spare battery for my 80D, a simple task one would think.

It appears my options are thus

£75 genuine Canon battery from Wex etc
£55 "genuine" Canon battery from Amazon (reviews are split on if its genuine or not and I don't trust positive reviews on Amazon)
£~20 knockoffs on Amazon.

What's the play here?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

the_lion posted:

Roll of the dice, I found. Genuine batteries you know you'll get the correct amount out of runtime but the price is up there. Even Amazon positively reviewed 3rd party batteries sometimes only work half or a third as good. Same with eBay batteries.

Other people seem to have had more luck.

Thanks, I sucked it up like a good consumer.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Man this might be my new body... I'm scared for the pricing now. I wonder what this does for the market in used canon glass if now there's ibis.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

harperdc posted:

Probably not much, because of the adapters that are available.

[Edit] also depends on how the IBIS is designed to work in concert with Canon’s IS on lenses. But that’ll only be known once those things are truly out and in the wild.

quote:

5 stops with IBIS alone
7-8 stops of correction when used with in-lens stabilization

What I was getting at is that I think the older glass becomes more valuable.

The rumoured spec list lists further stop improvements when combined with ILIS. So non-IS or worse than current model IS Canon lenses might become a much better deal when combined with this body.

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 29, 2020

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

AF posted:

The LP-E6N that came with my 80D seems a little tired - getting 350 - 400 with some live view shooting. Is the go to for spares still Wasabi? It looks like Neewer has replacements too and they seem to make decent 3rd party camera stuff.

I looked around and in the end ended up sucking it up and buying a Canon battery, too many 1* - 5* only reviews on 3rd party ones.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

charliebravo77 posted:

Someone school me on the differences between a 24mp APS-C sensor (80D) and a 20mp full frame sensor. 12-20fps and IBIS sounds fuckin' fantastic for wildlife/action shooting but the 24-20mp potential 'downgrade' on the sensor is maybe a concern? Though I guess the 7D2 is a 20.2mp APS-C sensor and people have been using that just fine for years.

Your high res crop (small sensor with FF image projection) and then crop again (lots of pixels for lightroom) for extra reach is gone basically.

How much real optical resolution you lose is debatable depending on your lens.

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 31, 2020

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

AF posted:

1) make sure to label all your YouTube videos as ~*cinematic*~

2) constant jump cuts, never have a shot longer than 3 seconds

3) I don't know

4) Go on about C-LOG like you invented it.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Thom12255 posted:

So the R5/6 is looking like the real deal? I'm still on Canon but I've been planning on getting a Sony A7III for the past 2 years but if Canon is actually back in the game and can compete with Sony I wouldn't mind staying with them. My biggest fear of switching was getting used to Sony's terrible ergonomics and menu system and I'd be quite happy to get all the features I wanted without dealing with that.

Pretty much I'll wait for reviews and user experiences etc of course, but using a simple adapter to mount my current collection of EF glass with "native?" performance and getting a doubled up IBIS on my IS glass with Canon menus i'm used too is to strong to resist. Wonder what the sensor is like.

I'll give my 80D to my sis.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Will Canon do a 600mm f/4 RF mount. I'm super curious.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I wouldnt be surprised if Canon got aggressive in pricing for the R5/6 and make it up on the RF mount glass sales. Because if the R5 really is as insanely speeced as it is looking to be and if these have anything close to the AF the 1Dx mk III has in liveview mode.... they are gonna sell a metric fuckton of glass to go with the bodies.

I'll certainly walk out of the store with at least a 70-200 2.8 and something else to go with any R5.

If the adapted EF glass is seamless they might sell less R glass than they expect.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Anyone know if there is a way to stop my external flash from being in HSS every time I switch my camera/flash back on. I need to use first curtain sync and I keep forgetting to switch it. Not even sure if its a camera or a flash thing.

Canon 80D + Godox AD200Pro + Godox X1T-C

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Thomamelas posted:

Canon just released this today:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/eos-webcam-utility/

Software to make most of the EOS cameras into Webcams. So you can have the best stream in Teams.

Anyone know if the T6s works with it? It's not listed... I have a UK 760D (US T6s) that would be great to use.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

jarlywarly posted:

Anyone know if the T6s works with it? It's not listed... I have a UK 760D (US T6s) that would be great to use.

guess i could just try it and stop being a lazy rear end in a top hat (it's all the same download)

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Thom12255 posted:

What program were you using to record? My 6d Mk2 with the 50mm f/1.8 STM attached to it was autofocusing with OBS Studio and was picking up audio.

It might be the camera rather then the software

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Djimi posted:

I had the Sigma 150-600mm 5-6.3 Sports for about two years, that I bought for doing more outdoor wildlife photography, and didn't get to use it as much as I wanted, and it was stolen at the beginning of the year out of my car. Pretty much in perfect condition. Luckily I had all my other gear with me, as I was taking photos of a band that night.

This week I finally got my insurance claim settled and now I can buy it again, or another lens. I am wondering if there's anything else that has come on the market in the last few years that I should be looking at?

My camera is 5D MkIV and my other longest lens is my Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM II. I was wondering if anyone here had an opinion on the Sigma 60-600mm lens. They are almost the same price. I read a couple reviews on it, but wondering what any goons think. Also versus a Tamron? I don't really care about weight. It'll be on a monopod or tripod when I use it, or on special outings perhaps handheld.

:tipshat:

The 60-600 is a little lighter and smaller than the 150-600 Sport I think it's a good choice for budget tele for wildlife.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Djimi posted:

The thing I don't understand about this 60-600mm pricing, it makes me think the build quality isn't going to be as good as the Sports one I had. I suppose it's a little less crisp all around, but the reach makes it a couple hundred more $$.

Thanks - I think I'm intrigued about having the ability to zoom out to a 'normal' focal length, but the reviews are not very gracious, but not having to change a lens for an interesting shot now and again seems like a smart idea. I will probably end up using it more because of that.

I really want >400mm on my FF camera. I don't think 300mm is going to cut it, and I don't want to use a converter. Of course anything f/2.8 across the board would be fantastic and I'd like it -- can I crop photos to approximate a 600mm shot and it'll still be a good photo - is it that sharp? It is true I don't care about weight. Extra grand might be a bit much. Do you have a gen2 or gen3 yourself? I think if I had a crop sensor camera, it may be a choice for me. Decisions, decisions....

This is pretty good review and one that I wouldn't have expected from PC Mag. Thank you for your answers everyone.

You are right to not want 300 on FF I have 400 on crop and have reach issues.

Everyone crops in on their wild bird photos btw, unless they get really lucky.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Yeah not thinking super hard about it and not deep diving reviews of the Sigma and Tamron, 600mm zooms, I thought they were the better option than the 100-400 for a long time but with a 1.4x converter you’re getting almost the same reach, and it’s not like you’re going to want to use the 3rd-parties wide open; f/8 is where you’ll be in any case, so the aperture hit from the TC is not too significant, and you get a hell of a lens to use without the TC for less distant subjects, and closer focus.

Of course now I’m on the verge of selling all my remaining canon gear since I fell into a great deal on a D600, and Nikon has the 200-500, which is cheaper than the 100-400L and gets *the reach I crave* with supposedly better performance and sharpness at the long end than the Sigma or Tamron.
I have the 100-400 II L and the 1.4 III you get limited to f/8 and slower AF performance.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

brand engager posted:

Gonna feel guilty for a few weeks for hurting my bank account

Also amazon says the t8i/850D releases tomorrow

Nice what you gonna photo?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Blackhawk posted:

Thought this may be of interest to the thread, one of the next satellites my company is launching is an optical imaging satellite manufactured by Canon:

https://en.canon-elec.co.jp/space/

The press release says:

But I can't see any practical reason that you'd need a mirror or viewfinder prism on a satellite... So more likely it's just a sensor and some electronics from an SLR being used mirrorless.

Yeah It's probably just some press misquoting/translating and they are using a Canon sensor. I always think of this awesome setup when I hear Canon and space

https://petapixel.com/2015/05/27/this-telescope-uses-10-canon-lenses-worth-100000/

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
I'm almost more fascinated to see what these supposed f/11 RF super teles are like.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Thom12255 posted:

No eye AF? Isn't that purely a software thing?

I'm pretty sure I have heard eye AF mentioned with the R5/6 I don't have a source on it though.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
With macro I often crop, higher megapixels give me more cropping room, obviously there is the diffraction limit of the lens. It's a careful balance for depth of field/detail etc.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Surprise T Rex posted:

Even though they're releasing more, I feel like the M series is sort of half-dead? Or at least it was some kind of experiment in mirrorless before they had a real go at it and they're just updating it as some kind of "hey please don't leave Canon" to people who already bought one.

I know this is the Canon thread but if people are legitimately considering APS-C mirrorless then Fuji is solid. Their newest flagship is like £2000 with a 16-80mm f/4. The R5/6 look great and if I had literally unlimited money I'd probably get one, but it's just out of the realm of possibility for anyone not making photo money hand over fist, surely?

R5/6 are FF

Native performing adapted EF glass is a big selling point.

Has the sensor resolution for the R6 been confirmed yet?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
I wonder when some tech nerds will get a hold, i'd love to know a few things that wont be in your standard portrait/video/landscape reviews.

Whats the focus bracketting like, how fast? Could I mount my EF 100mm L macro and do handheld stacks of stationary insects at like f/2.8 1/2000 or at f/11 flash lit with a fast recycling flash, could I do it with the 8K video mode and manual focus?
Is the 800/600mm f/11 actually usable in real world outdoor conditions on an R5/6? usable ISOs at 1/600-1000 or less with IS+IBIS? I'm probably most curious about these lenses..
IBIS + IS + eye AF + tracking how is this with something like a EF 100-400 L on the adapter does it work?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Here's some R6/R5 sample RAWs with the 800mm f/11 (From Jared Polin.. I know.. but files is files)

https://froknowsphoto.com/r5r6animalaf/

Looks like in "decent" light you'll be ~ISO 1000 with 1/400 so with perched birds using the IS/IBIS you might be alright, the noise levels in the RAW seem pretty good at ISO 1000 with moderate colour NR +12 in Lightroom. BIF at 1/1000+ will be worse ISO wise unless the the light is very good. But I was able to use NR colour +14 on the R5 sample at ISO 4000 but the luminance noise was quite bad and would be noticeable on a sizeable crop on the 20MP R6 image

On the full frame R6 the 800mm is equivalent to a 500mm on APS-C Canon.

Essentially double the ISO for your current shots at f/8 so this Owl shot it would be at ISO 1000 not 500 but looking at the NR settings the sensor does a similar job to my 80D I guess dynamic range might be affected more.

Barn Owl Flight by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Looking at it objectively looks like the R6+800mm is basically similar to an 20MP APS-C with 500mm f/8 (400 f/5.6 with 1.4x giving up 60mm) lens that weighs in total 1800 grams with 12 fps shooting and bird eye autofocus and tracking.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

ilkhan posted:

They're long reach and cheap. I can see them being good for *cheap* cheap birding. When you want reach but can't spend a ton on it. Most people will look at them and live with the limitation.

For perched birds in good light the R6 and 800 f/11 seems viable it's light to hand hold and you get eye AF. Real world reviews will be interesting. Whether it's better over all than m43 or a crop DSLR with a 150-600 probably not but that eye AF is very tempting.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
I've been nerding on R5 info for shooting birds and looking for samples/experiences and I'm dumping it here for all y'all.

1.6x "crop mode" on the R5 is 17 megapixel photos, the R6 is 7.7 megapixels for APS-C "reach" comparisons (from the Canon Manuals)

Bird nerd with R5 and some big whites, mainly initial impressions practical stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3x1pt87-O0

Flickr channel with R5 + 800 f/11 and also some with the 1.4x at f/16 (the dream low weight, eye af, walk around 800mm solution with the f/11 problem?) Mostly the shots in good light look (up to ISO 1000 look) great maybe a little denoise smear, the higher ISO stuff is mushy (did they use Topaz AI?) I'm excited though..
https://www.flickr.com/photos/46506981@N03/with/50190557382/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

xzzy posted:

I love the real dudes reviews. He must be rolling in money though having bout basically every flagship camera ever made.

He mentions he hasn't noticed any rolling shutter with full electronic, but it is there. You have to really swing the camera around to see it though. The IBIS is pretty great, but it sounds like the 8 stops Canon advertised is pretty optimistic. The 5 stops he was seeing is much closer to what everyone else is seeing, regardless of lens.

2000 pictures on old batteries with the battery grip is pretty good numbers though.

He does birding tours, so I guess his gear is somewhat justified, wish I could make that kind of dough from macro workshops/tours.