Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Picked up a used 70D to replace my Rebel XT.

I used to own the 24-105 L when it was first released and absolutely loved it, but ended up selling it a few years later for what I paid because I bought a house and needed a lawn mower and a snow blower. I really really loved that lens, and I noticed you can get them used for around $400 these days. Is there anything else that has come out in the past 17 years that makes way more sense? I'm pretty dead set on getting it again, but I'd kick myself if some other maker had something that is 10 times better for like $200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I wasn't expecting anything, but it's always good to ask since it's been a while.

sb hermit posted:

$400? Is that for the f/4?

Yeah. They came out with an updated version which puts it back at the original $1300ish price point, and the originals are the ones going for $400. It was perfect to begin with for me, but maybe it had some aberration issues with the newer cameras. The original lens did show a little, not sure the word for it, bending at 24mm along the very edges, but most people would crop it problem solved.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Comparing the original and mk2 versions are a matrix of tradeoffs. The mk2 is bigger and heavier, but has silent stabilization. The original is sharper at 24mm while the mk2 is sharper at 105. At 50mm the original is sharper in the middle, but the mk2 is sharper at the corners.

Overall they're so close it doesn't really matter. The only real difference between the two is if you do video and want to use stabilization, then the mk2 is a clear winner because it's so quiet.

Fantastic breakdown. I've been going through reviews in the era of the 70D and it looks like that's when lots of people were dipping into using DLSRs for video work and vlogs and whatever else and everyone was looking for silent lenses. It would make perfect sense Canon would rework some lenses to be silent. The original was pretty heavy to begin with. I am not anticipating doing any video. Mostly daytime walkabouts/hikes and photographing miniatures, gundams, and other dork hobbies I have.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Can someone explain why they're not using EF and EF-S lenses? Also, do you lose anything with an adapter?

What is the difference between electronic and mechanical shutter modes?

I've been out of it for like two decades.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 25, 2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I have a 70D arriving today to replace my XT from 2005. The built-in IS is appealing to me in the R7.. And double the fps. The cost is reasonable, but glad I don't have that much to splurge.

GAS

Philthy fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 25, 2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Well, this kind of sucks. I got my 70D and I cannot get any pictures remotely as sharp as the XT it is replacing. The live view is better for focusing, but still not nearly as sharp as the XT still.

Just did a bunch of tripod timed shots with two different lenses with multiple stops and zooms and the XT from 2005 is night and day better in every aspect.

I've gone through all the settings and they're all the same as far as I can tell.

I got the 70D used for not that much ($350 shipped) from Adorama, and got the extended year warranty. It'll be interesting to see how they handle returns.

My lens set is a EF-S 55-250 IS II, EF-S 24, EF-S 18-55, and the EF 50 1.8.

Any suggestions of what I could get if I move to about $500ish for a body? I like shooting birdos in the back yard, and hiking mostly.

I guess I am not married to my lenses.. But.. ugh.

Edit: Looks like 30 day full refund is possible, so..

Philthy fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 27, 2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Hmm, that seems weird. You can try to isolate the issue to a focusing issue or something else by doing manual focus in live view and use the zoom 5x/10x (going of memory here, not sure those numbers are accurate) to dial in focus. That's basically the ideal focus and will tell you if its auto-focus loving up or something else.

I assume when you are comparing you're taking into account that the 70D has more than twice the pixels of your XT? If you zoom into 1:1 view on the 70d its going to show the limits of your optics much more than a 1:1 view of the XT.

Yes. Even when resizing the images down to match the XT, the object of focus is still a blurry mess, while the XT is incredibly sharp. I've tried all the various focus methods from single point, to group, to area. I did see a bunch of issues with soft focus problems with the 70D that a few people were having, but only when the lens is wide open and using the center point. The Live View focus was the "fix" for anything focus related, and that still didn't get me what I am expecting doing f8. The camera has been boxed up, and I'm about to ship it back off. The easy return is making this easy, but I am going camping for a week 8 days from now, and no new toy to bring. I'll have my XT with 1GB card, just wont be able to do action shots. Just scenic one offs and such. Not too upset about it.

I may end up just pulling the trigger on an R7 and a converter lens to be honest. But my wife would murder me. It's beyond my capabilities, but having such good AF for action shots with all that fps would keep me happy. Anything in the $500 range for a body would be preferable, though.

I'll see if I can put together some side by sides a little later when I have time just for reference sake.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 27, 2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, my first thought was micro-focus was set to all or something. It wasn't. I reset everything to defaults, same issue. Nothing looked better. I did try setting the microfocus, but it actually got worse no matter which direction I went with it.

Also, yes, looked at both via Lightroom and Photoshop side by side. Resized the larger and exported, same thing.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Here is what I was seeing. It's entirely possible I was making a mistake somewhere, but these were all on a tripod with the settings and zooms set as close as possible.

XT (8mp) on the left for all, 70D (20mp) on the right for all. RAW was used on both cameras. 10 second delay timer was used on all shots. Focus was set dead center of the church window. Aperture priority.

24mm prime

18-55mm

18-55mm

yes, I need to dust

Philthy fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 27, 2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, it has already been shipped back.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Thanks for posting screenshots. That's a weird issue and I can't explain it, but agree that just sending the body back seems like the best course of action.

I feel weird suggesting an M series camera since they're end of life, but I absolutely love my M50. It'll mount all your lenses with a small adapter and you'll have the option of any of the (mostly inexpensive) EF-M lenses as well. I use mine with a 55-250mm STM for birds when I'm hikes where dragging my 150-600mm isn't realistic and it does great. Add a wide angle lens (the 11-22mm is great, but I use the Rokinon 12mm F/2) and its the perfect hiking/walkaround combo. Mirrorless takes a little getting used to, but it has some big advantages I miss when I use my DSLR.

This may be an option, the EF/S adapter costs nothing, and I lose nothing. Might be some good deals turning up.

The more I look, though, the more I am simply inclined to go down to the local shop and put an R7 on preorder. I can live with my XT in the mean time, it just has bits falling off from old age.

Also, there is some hubbub about a new Fuji release in a few days, so I'll see what that's all about as well. Options are open when you have this much gas.

Edit: Couldn't help myself. 7D mk II on the way.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 28, 2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I've picked up an R7 and the Rf 100-400 and I'm struggling. I've been out hunting dragonflies, butterflies, etc midday. Bright cloudless sunlight. Direct freaking light. Everything through the viewfinder is dark looking in all the modes. I'm taking pictures of stuff and it's throwing ISO 2000 on something in direct light. It makes no sense to me. Coming from the 7d2, it should be ISO 100 or even 200 easily in so much light. The difference between the two was I was using 55-250 lens.

I was looking across this beautiful field, and its bright and lush, then I go through the view finder to compose and it's like 1 or 2 stops darker. I thought maybe it's the view finder brightness since it's a screen (Which is driving me nuts, I much prefer DSLR over this) and bumped it all the way up, and it's still.. darker. I came across a sign that is bright brilliant white in the sunlight for reference and took a photo, and looking at it, it's dark, like it looked in the view finder. The histogram was dead center reading. EV meter was right at the middle.

This should be bright brilliant white as white can be. Even the field behind it is all dark. Like i'm under a cloud. I'm not, you would want to wear sunglasses, if anything.

This is how everything looks through my R7, it's this dim cast over everything I see and take.

I don't know if I have some wacky setting totally off or what, but it's frustrating I can pick up my 7D2 and it's 100% perfect, and the R7 is.. dark poo poo.

Edit: I guess the next test is to simply go out with my converted EF-S 55-250 and see if it acts any differently to see if it's the lens or the body.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 23, 2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Now I'm feeling like an idiot.

Using Av f8, ISO set to 200, full sunlight on the house. Shutter speed that was determined was 1/1000 for almost every shot.

I took a photo of my white house siding with the R7.

RF 100-400 @ 100mm and it's darker looking through the VF vs what I see in real life. View finder and resulting image is darker.
RF<->EF-S 55-250 @ 100mm and it's darker looking through the VF vs what I see in real life. View finder and resulting image is darker.

I took a photo with the 7d2.

EF-S 55-250 @ 100mm and it's perfectly white through the VF vs what I see in real life. View finder is showing what I see, BUT resulting image is darker as with the R7.

All I can take away from this is that the 7d2 viewfinder, which is basically looking through the lens is showing what I see, but not necessarily what it will capture. Where the R7 view finder is showing exactly what the sensor will capture, because the image is from the sensor itself. At the end of the day, R7 is more accurate for what the captured image will be.

However, this isn't explaining why everything seems to dark to me since going to the R7. Is it a brain thing going on? I mean, I can certainly add it to the list if need be.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 24, 2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Ah, okay. That makes sense. So it's a brain thing I will need to get used to. So, photos were actually always darker in the DSLR, it's just by the time I got home I would never really notice. Where the R7 is showing me in real time as I see it.

Lawwwd. Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp3AsLhMwDk

I've made a shortcut for this on My Menu. I'll keep it on because accuracy is probably better in the long run, but when I'm doing night photos, I'll likely want it off to compose vs a black screen.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 24, 2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Now that I got through my personal insanity on that aspect of the R7, I can say focusing wise, it is insanely better than what I was capable of achieving with my 7d2. When it locks on to something, be it a bunny, a dragonfly head for half a second before it gets confused and locks on to its rear end, or a bird on a branch, everything is sharp as heck. My keepers to wade through are about 80 good/20 bad whereas with my 7d2 it was 20 good/80 bad. When it locks on to an eye of a bird, it's crazy to see the texture around the eyeball so detailed compared to just okay on the 7d2.

This was primarily why I wanted the R7 and its delivering.

I picked up Ritz Gear Video Pro 64gb card that has a write speed of 250, but tends to beat out the 300 write speed cards from some random dude who did some testing on the internet. Likely paid by Ritz Gear to put it at #1, but I don't care. With CRAW I am getting just about 3 seconds of continuous 30fps shooting, which is ridiculous. I came home with 1500 images instead of my typical 300-400. Clearing the buffer took about 5 seconds, and I could also shoot more short bursts as soon as half a second or so - it didn't need to dump the entire buffer to be ready again. That said, trying to capture flying dragonflies and a few birds, of which im not that experienced at, I never ran into buffering issues. I seldom did on my 7d2 with 10fps, I always feather the trigger instead of spray and pray. Auto focusing was voodoo, as it captured the black speck rapidly flying around eveywhere off in the distance at 400mm that you would only know to be a dragonfly by zooming all the way in during post. It was sharp. How? Voodoo. I have since turned it down to 15fps, and might go further. Unless I'm trying to capture eagles grabbing fish, I'm not sure 30fps is going to help me capture a lazy rear end dragonfly sitting on a weed.

I'm on day 2 with it. It feels a lot harder to figure out than the 7d2 so far, but I'm hoping it's just muscle memory.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 24, 2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Neat, the back button focus lets you assign almost every focusing variable to a button with a long checklist. The normal back button focus is set to the custom settings I've set. Animal detect, eye detect, case 2, etc. I've noticed for butterflies it can grab focus on a spot on their wings because it looks like eyes and throw the focus point off drastically, and dragonflies it might grab their rear end. So, I set the * button to be a back button spot focus, that turns off all the other assists to use while it's depressed and just does the old-fashioned center point focus. As soon as I let go, the eye tracking and everything else that is built into the default focus I've set up takes over again.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 24, 2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
i dunno photographing a chick with a shaved head while smashing someones car window out with a bat in the middle of the night is sort of demanding

edit: oops i did it again, a terrible snipe

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'm always looking at Flickr stuff and it shows photos by a 1200D and I have no idea since they name them all differently all over the world.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I was just wondering to myself while photo walking around that I think lens tech has been bumped up too. Todays cheap RF lens have incredible image quality. The differences people are showing between their Ls is becoming less and less, while the speed distancing is catching up as well. They just need to figure out how to waterproof everything without making it all weigh twice as much because it's solid metal.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 4, 2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Canon has my bases covered currently, but I'd be lying if I didn't want to try out all those cool looking Chinese lenses coming out left and right.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
No, but I've found Lightroom will use monochrome if you shoot in the mono profile. You can select it over to color tho if you want, all the info is there.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I've been looking at the RF 24mm 1.8 IS. I really enjoy my EF-S 24mm 2.8 non-IS and can do handhelds at 1/4" currently. Do the Sigmas have IS?

Philthy fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 7, 2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
There was a lot of complaints about it not being stacked, but what I'm hearing in some of the podcasts is that the new sensor read out speed is incredibly fast and while the rolling shutter is still there, it takes an incredible amount of speed to show it. Maybe that's how everyone will eventually get past the rolling shutter without doubling the price tag by stacking it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
A lot of first gen 24-105 L are dying lately. The cable that controls the focus apparently just up and dies or detaches. I've seen a few around for $400-450 and people wont touch them because they're just too old and to fix them is the same cost. I happened to love mine when I owned it with my old 8MP Rebel XT, the image quality blew me away. It always had whatever that 3D pop is called.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
So I picked up the RF TTArtisan 25mm F2 for super cheap a while back. The 35-40mm equivalent focal length is my favorite. I own the EF-S 24mm 2.8 and love that, but hey, F2 is even faster for not much money! Anyway, it's completely manual, and some may have saw some posts of me struggling with focusing, even using the focus peaking my R7 does. (It highlights whatever is in focus in a soft transparent red through the viewfinder/screen in real time as you twist the focus) But many images were coming out blurry. But the ones that didn't looked pretty freaking sweet.

I finally sat down in my dark rear end house in a stationary chair. I played with the EF-S 24mm @ 2.8 and the TTA @ 2.8 using the same focus point in the dimly lit area (A doorknob). I got tack sharp images with the EF-S but the TTA was almost always burry. At the same shutter speed. I couldn't understand what the poo poo. I decided maybe the IBIS isn't working for the manual lens, while it is for the adapted EF-S. I gently shook the frame and they both looked like they were cushioned through the viewfinder as the IBIS is doing it's thing. I was kinda dumbfounded, maybe I just totally loving suck at manual focusing, even with the focus peaking training wheels on.

I dug around into the IS settings with the EF-S lens on, and it looked fine. It's on. I swapped the lens to the TTA and something showed up in the same menu I've never seen before. A focal length option. It was set to 50. What the gently caress is that. I set it to 25mm.

I took more photos, everything is tack sharp. jfc it's been overcompensating this entire time.

I really really like the sharp images I've been getting out of the TTA, but the focus thing was souring me until now.

Edit: I actually found a bug here. IBIS is not staying engaged. I've found a way to engage it, but when the camera sleeps or is turned off it "forgets" to turn back on.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 5, 2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
R8 is weird. No IBIS kills it. The Nikon Z6 is cheaper, full frame, and has IBIS. (Am I missing something? Edit: It's not available anywhere. I think they closed them out at a discounted price..) Not sure what they're going for here.

The lenses they keep coming out are, imo, hot garbage compared to the EFS releases from years ago. They'e just too slow and more expensive. I'm not sure anyone would be interested in the RFS 50-210 f5-7.1 IS for $299 when they can get an EFS 55-250 f4-5.6 IS (Which is a known excellent A++ would buy again lens) for slightly cheaper, or even used, for $100. RF 24-50 4.5-6.3? WTF is that. NO. I'd rather use my EFS 18-55 f3.5-5.6 from *20* years ago.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 8, 2023

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'm irrationally upset over those new RF lenses. I think it's because they did a nice job with the RF 100-400 and the RFS 18-150.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'm curious how IBIS isn't a must have. Unless you're on a tripod, IBIS is an incredible advantage that gives you SO much.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The latest IBIS doesn't have warping any longer as far as I know. The IBIS works in tandem with the lens IS giving you more stops. I guess I've been shooting mostly manual lenses without IS, but it's written as a must have thing forever going forward for me. It just kind of raised an eyebrow to see someone not care about it, is all. I was excited for the R8, but no IBIS kills it for me.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 23, 2023

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yes, mostly hiking outdoor trails / walks through city. Day and night. I've noticed a high shutter speed doesn't guarantee a sharp image. That extra help from IBIS certainly does, though. At night I feel like I can get everything down to 1/6th @ 24mm handheld. I love it. For birding, it assists for perched birds, and it's especially helps when using a zoom as a macro on insects. Going from non-IBIS 7D2 to an R7 was a revelation to me. I used to have to hem and haw over lenses if they have IS or not. Now, it doesn't matter. Everything has IS and I can shoot it all.

Edit: If you're shooting video, that's my bad. I have very little to go on for that other than the youtubers who are obsessed about that warping. (Rightly so because it does look like rear end)

Philthy fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 23, 2023

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I *just* picked up the EFS 17-55 2.8 for my R7 because I was pissed off waiting. It's a good lens, even on the R7. But holy loving poo poo is this thing heavy as fuuuuuck.

I'll be nabbing that Sigma. It's half the weight, and the quality will probably be slightly better since it's taking into account these insane sensors from the getgo. I don't think it has IS, but the R7 has amazing IBIS, so I'm not too worried losing a stop or two in that focal range.

That 10-18 2.8, too. Good lord what a great line-up!

RillAkBea posted:

Hopefully it’s not an APS-C only deal though as next on my wishlist is one of those zoomy long boys.

You will not be disappointed with the RF 100-400 on the R7. It's a must own in my book.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 24, 2024

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

RillAkBea posted:

Fuji X Mount
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHYuznfaf5c

It looks like there are a few weird spots in the formula where the old 17-55 might be doing better ~on paper~, but overall it looks pretty good and the weight reduction would be worth it alone.

Same tests with 17-55 on R7 for comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMVs9ndRe74

Oh I love that lens, for sure! There's just those times where I occasionally feel like I need a tiny bit more reach... before I remember how heavy 600s are and forget about it again, because the lightness is my most favorite thing about the RF 100-400.

Yeah, that Fuji video has me sold. It's so tiny! Comparing against the 17-55 video, it looks about the same, but holy moly, the weight, plus the EF to RF adapter. It's as big as my RF 100-400 and weighs a lot more. The 100-400 you can walk around all day with it in one hand, but the 17-55 I need to switch hands or constantly cup the lens because it's so dang heavy.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 24, 2024

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I've been watching any video I can on the 18-50. I cannot believe how sharp that is at 2.8. I really really really want this lens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The 55-250 is one of my favorite EFS lenses. It's very sharp and vibrant. You can get really close up shots (bugs, flowers, ect) with it also if you ever go that direction, the magnification is great. Paired with the decent kit lens, you should have a good kit to hike around with if you get a 3L size bag.