Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
There's no "right" way to grieve, some people find the presence of a new dog comforting, some find it a betrayal to their memory. Just feel it out and give yourselves the grace to find what's right for you.

We've been having a lot of luck with Teedo's seizures. We upped his medication yet again, but this time it seems it actually worked. It went from 1-2 a week to every few weeks, we've been holding our breath wondering if it was a fluke but it seems to be holding (knock on his empty wooden seizure-probe head)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Yeah the VP emailed me back pretty much immediately and said they still get hounds placed within a week, three weeks at the most. It made me feel better knowing that when we're ready we'll be able to move pretty quickly. We're going to be traveling at the end of February so we'll see how we feel after that. The VP lost one of her own hounds just two weeks ago. We follow each other on Insta so we both were aware of each other's losses. It was nice to be able to commiserate. Her dog was almost the exact same age as Rory, too. :smith:

DarkHorse posted:

(knock on his empty wooden seizure-probe head)

lol

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I’m surprised you can still get a greyhound that easily; do you live close to WV? My adoption group switched to field trial lurchers after Florida dried up. Those poor dogs have historically been swept under the rug. I’m not sure those races are regulated at all. They look mostly like a greyhound but have way more stamina, bark a bit more, and obviously have a bit lower top speed (although the margins in greyhound racing are so small they’re not dramatically slower).

Be sure to take your time if you can. It’s obvious Rory left a big void and you have to process that first.

pastor of muppets posted:

How can she look both so annoyed yet so cozy in her coat at the same time??

I honestly think she’s that annoyed because she’s cozy; if she was cold she would have probably gone back to the car voluntarily.

It was really annoying because the only reason we drove was to go to that park. I figured she might have wanted a change of scenery after being at home with me for a week and mostly walking around locally (I’ve got a cold and took a much needed break just to play video games, so we haven’t left home much). Greyhounds!! :argh:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Yeah we live in central Virginia. Before the Florida ban a lot of the groups around here were getting hounds from both Florida and from WVA. I was actually pretty surprised that their turnaround time was still that quick, but this rescue also has a local kennel facility so I imagine they're taking more hounds than other groups since they don't have to have homes/fosters lined up immediately for all of the dogs they're bringing in.

For that matter, maybe if my husband isn't ready to adopt before I am I can volunteer with their kennel so I can still get some time with the hounds before I can bring one home.

e: catching up with my other bookmarked threads, crossposting this from the yospos catte thread :unsmith:

Cabbage Disrespect posted:

it is normal and good to feel this way.

i wish i could tell you that you'll get over it, but that would be a lie. you won't. and that's ok. that's how it's supposed to be. you "get over" dropping your ice cream, or getting rejected by your crush, or making a bad post, because none of that really matters. you do not get over losing someone you love. the pain you feel is proof of that bond; an immutable, ironclad monument to the love you gave and were given in return.

i'm not gonna pretend i can tell you how you should feel, or how you will feel, or how to process any of this. it's different for everyone. but i did, in the past, spend a lot of time with the dregs—the oldest, the sickest, the most hopeless of street creatures—so i've been through a whole lotta pet death, and maybe some of what i learned is helpful for you. or maybe not, but then—a bad post is something i can get over, so don't sweat it.

meet stinky old man. i know he is a weird cat but that is beside the point. i knew him for a few weeks. his cancer was so extreme that you could see it just glancing at him on the street, which is why he is in my old apartment in this picture.

we spent that week doing everything dogs shouldn't do. to him i was Bacon Man, and together we feasted. he died quietly in my arms at the vet, but he died a sweet boy full of fatty, salty processed pork, and he was happy. if only we could all be so lucky!

sometimes i think about him and am sad again. but, day after day, year after year, that changes. i will always be sad for him—but now, when i think about stinky old man, the first thing i remember isn't how he died, but the look on his face when he had his first bacon. and then when he had six more. and how comfortable he was after his fleas were gone. and how much he loved tug of war, even while his whole back half was betraying him.

my point is that, to Jet, you are Bacon Man, or Cheese Woman, or whatever Jet's favorite thing in the whole world is—that's you. his little walnut brain doesn't need to understand much to understand that he loves you, and he's gonna love you all the way to the end. you'll make that landing so soft he won't even realize he's touched down. and, a long time from now, when you remember Jet, the first things that occupy your mind will be good, not bad. it will always hurt, but one day it will hurt different, and you will float in it instead of drowning.

tell jet that he is a Good Catte :unsmith:

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 30, 2023

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I'm just a lurker with an elderly cat and a very ill father-in-law. That made me sob.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well, gently caress. It's not a good time all round, ITT. Opal just died, too. Threw up earlier this afternoon while I was at work, so my partner took her to the vet. They thought it was no big deal, but suggested keeping her overnight just to be sure. Couple hours later, she went into shock and died. Five years old :(

Also, I just realised that I never put up the various pics of Tazo's birthday, back in November. So here's a pic of Opal snatching and choking down her piece of cake, while Tazo waited patiently for his. Sums up the two of them pretty well, really! They were polar opposites in many ways, but absolutely loved each other's company

Also, here she is, conked out after her Christmas walk and lunch, down at my parents'. If there's anything she loved more than sleeping, it's eating then sleeping.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Oh Major, I'm so, so sorry! That's such a shock, I still remember you getting her as a buddy for Tazo.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Oh my god, that’s so awful. I’m so sorry, she was beautiful. :( I always loved seeing pics of her.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Brindle girls are my favorite, I'm so so sorry :(

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
WTF! Did they say what the underlying cause was?!

That’s so awful! I’m so sorry for you :(

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
That’s awful I’m so sorry for Opal. That’s way too sudden and soon.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Oh my god I'm so sorry!!! :smith:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Thanks all - it's definitely been a weird couple of days, without that sassy, affectionate bundle of fur around. :( I'm not sure if Taz has fully realised what happened yet, but I'm gonna take him to the vet tomorrow to see her off, before organising cremation, etc. Not sure if it'll help, but we'll see

He's definitely been a bit confused and sad though. Gave me an odd look when I put Opal's bed away (and to think she was actually starting to like her outdoor bed... she only just realised how nice it is to sleep in the shade with a breeze during the summer, a couple of weeks back) and he hasn't been playing with his toys. He also hasn't cared for his formerly strict "bed at 10:30pm" routine the last couple of nights, or gotten excited for cars/people approaching the house. (Unless it's me, anyway. He'll jump up for me, but nobody else - not even the postie)

Hopefully seeing Opal tomorrow will somehow help - he's very much a stickler for routine in his old age, so I hope he can deal with all this change :( He's had some of his favourite things the last couple of days at least - ice cream, a burg and even a pizza crust! So at least he's been in a good mood some of the time - since he sure does like his human food

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

God, I’m so heartbroken for all of you. :( Does the vet have any clues as to what exactly happened to her?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Yeah, it was an allergic reaction to the penicillin they injected her with. Which definitely sucks. Funnily enough, that precise situation has pretty much been my only concern with regards to dog allergies ever, to be honest. Since although it's meant to be super rare, it's pretty much impossible to find out ahead of time. I remember hoping Tazo wouldn't have any complications after he needed it for something years ago, which he (of course) didn't have any problems with. But it looks like Opal wasn't so lucky

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 5, 2024

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, it was an allergic reaction to the penicillin they injected her with. Which definitely sucks. Funnily enough, that precise situation has pretty much been my only concern with regards to dog allergies ever, to be honest. Since although it's meant to be super rare, it's pretty much impossible to find out ahead of time. I remember hoping Tazo wouldn't have any complications after he needed it for something years ago, which he (of course) didn't have any problems with. But it looks like Opal wasn't so lucky

Oh man I'm really really sorry Isoor. I'm assuming penicillin was used for whatever standard treatment for the vomiting?

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Brought her home today :smith:

The Xmas before we adopted her, my mom brought us a bunch of dog supplies. Crate, bed, toys, so on. One of the toys was a stuffed mastodon, which is one of the only toys we managed to hang on to for the whole time we had Rory. I washed it a few days ago because I want to keep it, and I keep catching one of her cat sisters napping with it.

I don’t know if she actually “misses” Rory or not, all I know is our next hound is going to need to be VERY cat tolerant, because this little creature has no sense of caution or personal space when it comes to her dog family members.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm so sorry again. I have a nice box and paw print like that for Abby as well.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Poor Rory :( I bet your cat misses her, but just doesn't want to show it! And that's a great photo of the two :unsmith:

actionjackson posted:

Oh man I'm really really sorry Isoor. I'm assuming penicillin was used for whatever standard treatment for the vomiting?

Oh, well they gave us some other pills too, but yeah, just a shot of penicillin to help speed things along

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I let out an audible “oof” when I read the penicillin thing this morning. That’s just unfair :(

Take care of yourself, grieving greyhound goons :unsmith:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I’m so sorry for all of you! It’s been a rough few weeks in this thread. :(

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Same here, so sorry for your losses. :(

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I've been leaving this thread unread until I was ready to catch up, my wife lurks and warned me about all the sad news. My condolences to both of you.

My wife is on an extended work trip and Watson has been very clingy. He wouldn't even leave me alone in my wood shop which he normally Does Not Like. I had to bring his bed in so he wouldn't get in the way.

He did have a weird episode the other night. I gave him a new toy from his barkbox and he chomped it once, took it to his bed in the living room and then immediately unloaded his bladder. Didn't seem to be in distress, no warning. Luckily his bed caught it all, but it was super weird. He hasn't got that toy back.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Katie playing “the floor is lava” at her vet appt last week

Unfortunately she’s doing this because her corns are really bothering her again :(. I’ve gotten another treatment scheduled for Thursday and I’m working from home Friday to nurse her.

This time I’m going to try to be super diligent about putting socks & booties on her while her feet are healing. It’s misery for both of us that they keep coming back

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh wow, sorry to hear about Katie's corns. :( Opal always had corn issues too, but not to the extent where she'd do THAT!

Side-note: Do any greys ITT sort their toys? Tazo has been doing this for a year or so now, with his "active" toys, where he sorts them from biggest to smallest on the rug. (He has other toys too, but they're ones he's not currently interested in, so they're all in a basket)

So yeah, he'll order them and play with one, then when he wants to swap he'll casually drop his current toy into the correct size sequence position, then play with another one. :D Typically he'll have three current favourites on standby as above, then one that he's currently playing with.

Occasionally Opal used to swipe one, then Taz will stop playing with his current toy to stare/glare at her, then when she lets her guard down he'll steal it back

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Ha! Katie gives zero regards to where her toys wind up when she’s done throwing them around. I didn’t think a greyhound would be capable of sorting toys!

Poor Katedog has been limping horribly today, as expected, so she’s been carried around like the princess she is. I put her booties on for the morning trip outside but it’s hopeless in the rain. Since the ground is super squishy it’s not that bad to walk on, thankfully. I bathed her feet every time we came in though; don’t want any junk getting in the wounds. Tomorrow the temperature will absolutely plummet to horrendous levels for the whole of next week so the ground will be extra awful for her

Here are what Kate’s feet look like right now:

She had corns on all four paws :(. I’ve never seen a dog try to keep all four feet off the ground when standing but somehow she manages to

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Snow day in the DC area!

Watson gives zero shits about the snow, still wants to walk until his little speed sticks fall off.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I’m not sure what Katie thinks about snow, but cold temperatures are Not Acceptable

Her poor feet are incredibly sore from the corn treatment. She hobbles around even indoors on carpet.

On Monday I tried to get her to go to daycare but she was just laying there like a sack of potatoes. Since she clearly doesn’t want to go anymore and I wanted to keep her on carpet while she heals anyway, I spontaneously decided to see what happens if I just leave her. I gave her some trazodone and was on my way. She was home alone for maybe 5 1/2 hours which is a record. I was checking on her the entire day on the cameras and she was doing fine; mostly snoozing and occasionally listening to see if I came back.

Today was a disaster :sigh:. I think she was prepared that I might leave her so she started howling probably right after I left and didn’t really stop. Every time I checked in on her she was crying. I eventually gave up after a few hours and came back home for the afternoon. Tomorrow I’ll try a half day but leaving her in the afternoon; I think the trazodone is more effective if it sets in while she’s relaxed.

We have another meeting with the behaviorist on Friday so it’s a good experience to talk about, at least. Hopefully with some sustained effort poor Katie can finally get over her separation anxiety.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Ohh, poor Katie :( Hopefully the situation improves

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

On a slightly more positive note, we've found a toy that Boudicca will play with. And by "play with" I mean "search for treats until said treats are gone". I do love how right after she figures out that she's exhausted the treats, she completely abandons the game, with no conception that she can continue playing with the toy.

https://imgur.com/mqS8qao.mp4

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Radiation Cow posted:

On a slightly more positive note, we've found a toy that Boudicca will play with. And by "play with" I mean "search for treats until said treats are gone". I do love how right after she figures out that she's exhausted the treats, she completely abandons the game, with no conception that she can continue playing with the toy.

https://imgur.com/mqS8qao.mp4

"If there's no reward, what's the point?" :D Love that - Opal was exactly the same, for around two years before discovering the concept of 'playing for fun not food'

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
We’ve had a very mixed week with our foster. Poor thing got so excited after we left her for 8 or so hours she whacked her tail at some point, my partner didn’t realise until she came back from taking her down and there was blood all over the lift, walls, or entrance way etc.

We spent 2 hours wiping all the walls and mopping the floors :negative:

It then happened the next night and so on. Thankfully she’s off to the vet today to get it checked and get a guard until it’s healed.

Then last night she decided she’s terrified of the lift despite showing no issues for the last six weeks! She also won’t walk up the stairs as they are floating ones. Any ideas what might have happened?

There seemed to be some kind of spill outside one lift entrance last night which I think was it but then she didn’t want to get in on the carpet entrance this morning (a different floor) so I’m not convinced that’s it.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Watson loves the snow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtIQ7eYgmiA

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

That's a horse gallop if I've ever seen one

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Oh my god :kimchi:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

My longdog sounds the same with boots on. I knew that they sounded like a horse at a full gallop when they are tearing around the park or backyard, but with the boots on they also sound like trot or canter too. It's pretty great!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Katie just did this 20 minutes ago!

Of course, she was galloping to get inside as fast as possible. If she wouldn’t stop every 5 seconds to shake herself to the brink of structural failure she would have made it in faster though

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

A friend of mine just sent me a previously undiscovered photo of Gello and her buddies begging for treats. She definitely knew how to weaponise her snoot and eyes!

I still miss her so, so much.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
heheheh, I love it when greys do that! :D It's just so incredibly cute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Thanks to her and Boudicca, I'm completely immune to dog begging-eyes.