Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

Lagomorphic posted:

My hound is five now but he's had old-dog muzzle since I got him at two. In his case it's just the white fur on his underside encroaching on a black muzzle.

My dude is 3 and he's already really getting old man face (hi thread, i have hound now :v).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

Fuzz Feets posted:

Congrats on the hound having! What is his name?

Reese will be 5 in a couple weeks. Hard to tell if he is is going white because his whole underside is white.

His name is Kenzie, racing name was Pat C Kenzee if you want to look up how terrible he was at it. I've had him for all of two days, and he's settling into the routine i'm working on for him really nicely. He's been an absolute dream so far, tho it helps that he's been in foster since January. I think the reason why it took him so long to be adopted is that they didn't have any photos up of him and that he's not entirely small dog safe.

various cheeses posted:

:eyepop:
I thought that was a picture of my dog. She has a red collar too.

He's not going to have it for too much longer! I ordered a really pretty martingale for him from etsy yesterday.

All dozy and waiting for me to finish up the gardening after our walk today :3

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

rhoga posted:

I don't want to meddle, but it sounds like you plan on using the martingale instead of the regular collar. If that's not the case, don't mind me.
While a martingale is important while a dog is on a leash, a dog that isn't supervised probably shouldn't have a martingale on. Unlike a regular collar, if the martingale gets caught on something, it will tighten as the dog struggles to get free. This can seriously injure your dog if you aren't there, or have trouble freeing them.
Safe practice is using a regular collar for his tags, and use a martingale for his leash.
I just want safe, happy dogges so I can get lots of good pictures.

I'm home the vast majority of the time so him getting caught on something when I'm not around isn't really an issue. Even when I'm not home there's always someone around at the house.
I'll keep this in mind for future reference.
e: plus the collar he has now is a martingale :v

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

dead lettuce posted:

I read through this entire thread and I am 98% sure my mutt is half greyhound. Has anyone used the Wisdom Panel DNA test for dogs? Are greyhound mutts allowed in here? :staredog:

They told us he was half Lab, half Golden Retriever when we got him, but several groomers and people on the street have said he looks and acts like a lot like a greyhound. I don't think he is part Lab at all anymore. I was skeptical at first that he might be part greyhound, but he has tall haunches, long legs, and a thin, long frame and face. He is 8ish years old and the past few months has developed a little bit of a white face like all the qt dogs in this thread. He loves burgers, running like a madman (he is super fast), lounging on the couch, hoarding toys, burying his face in people, cuddling/spooning, being swaddled with blankets, and just generally being a total weirdo goober. He is extremely playful, smart, and loyal. You can read his emotions really easily and it's endlessly hilarious and entertaining. He was an outdoor dog who didn't get much attention when we got him so it's been a long 2-3 year process of getting him acclimated to cars, bicycles, noises, and scary things like plastic bags, furniture, and refrigerators but he is sooo comfortable and confident now. Despite being 8 years old, he acts like a puppy all the time. He loves learning new commands and tricks, he didn't know a single command when we got him.

We are totally in love with his personality, which from what I've read is almost totally greyhound with a little bit of Golden retriever. For our next dog, we plan to adopt a greyhound from the local rescue.

the only way for us to be sure is if you post pics

(tia)

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007
lmao i havent looked at this thread since 2016

For those that remember him, Kenzie is still around and is an excellent old man in his dotage. I now have a second greyhound (Bella, age 3) and a non-greyhound (Opus, age 1) and the younger two have an extremely normal relationship.

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007
I'm so sorry. She was beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

He's spent most of today resting and recuperating from last night, which is typical after a seizure

I am so, so sorry. Teedo is a wonderful guy.